Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So you are the real haters...

~Starlight~

(edited)

The pictures are still concept art so the final film will look different also its a movie not a show. As it stands Equestria girls is going to be a one off movie that isnt related to the show. It seems silly to not even look at is because you have seen a few concept images that you dont like but never mind its your loss.

It's not a loss. I just said I did not like the way they looked. I mean it can't be sooo different from the concept art. I know that Equestria Girls is going to be something that isn't really related to the show. It's good to hear and it gives me another reason for me to not watch it.

Edited by Jokuc

It is not that I "hate" the show already I am a bit naseated by the appearance and quite afraid of the feedback that the general public will have and most of all rule 34, mostly i am worried how bad the internet will react to the opening of this new show...

(edited)

Thanks everyone these are good thoughts! It's just that sadly many people disagree without giving it a chance, when that is what the haters do for the MLP fandom... I guess they are just hypocrites 

You need to understand that there is a clear cut difference between hating something and giving criticism.  It seems to me that whenever someone doesn't like what another person has to say about something, constructive or not, they're instantly labeled a 'hater' on this site.

If someone says that the animation style looks strange, or that a fanfic could be better and gives clear reasons, this is not hating something.  It's giving constructive criticism.  There is a difference, and it's a pretty obvious one.  Bear in mind that I've seen examples of this right in this section of the site.

Not to mention, the term 'hater' seems to be selectively used on this site.  Otherwise, it would've been used at great length when all that Twilicorn bashing was going on, since that was even more baseless than the 'hate' this show's gotten so far, and alot of that WAS actual hating.  This is not an attempt to accuse any one person of anything, as I don't believe that everyone realizes this.  I'm simply making an observation.

That said, I'm not saying that no bashing has happened here.  I'm just saying that you shouldn't be labeling people as 'haters' just because someone makes a criticism of an aspect of a show.

As far as the show is concerned, I will watch it to see what it's about.  But I personally think the characters' design could be a bit better.  If they're going for a teen high school show or a magical girl show, they should've just made them human with maybe the same hair colors and styles as the mane 6.  But as I said, I will give it a shot because sometimes these things are surprising.

Edited by SBaby

Although what I know about the show so far dosen't really impress me, it is still too soon whether the show will be any good or not so I don't really think there is much of a point to hate it just yet. Although I am a bit skeptical I am not anywhere near as skeptical as I was when I first gave MLP a shot and even if the worst happens and Equestria Girls ends up being bad than I can at least take comfort in knowing that it won't affect the main show. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is my favorite show of all time and even that had a crappy spinoff called Ninja Turtles The Next Mutation and though it was a temporary setback it didn't ruin the franchise.

I wouldn't call myself a hater but I am really turned off by the show because it's clear it was made to show off the mane 6 as humans instead of ponies.  And I'm sitting here questioning why they would do something like that.  Without ponies what's the point?  It's the mane subject matter of the show.  Even if it's just a spin off and the regular MLP FiM will still air; I still wonder why they'd release this show.  It's MLP with 90% of its charm taken away.

(edited)

I completely agree with you on this,100%.

I actually think that Equestria girls could be a great series and I've never doubted that the makers of FIM would produce something on the contrary to that fact.Additionally,the only thing that threw me off slightly about the series was that leaked picture of spike as a dog.

However,this just lead to hilarious reneditions of Spike jumping at Rarity's leg.

In all seriousness I'm with you,I think this is going to be better than is assumed!

Deathflame.

Edited by Deathflame

Like was said by others, the art looks terrible, to be honest. Many people, like me, have seen much better human forms of the ponies. I'm pretty sure the people who give us these awesome, cute, ponies could give us something better than that. In the intro for MLP there is a picture that looks different from what the animation really is, but at least it was similar (I'm talking about the letter Celestia opens).

If the animation looks anything like that, I won't even look at it again; the amazing animation of FiM is what drew many bronies in. We can only hope.

I have to admit that with the art style and the plot that has been revealed so far, I have mixed feelings on Equestria Girls. I will give it a try for the sake of it but I really am walking in there with a huge doubt on the quality of the movie.

Well, let's just wait and see.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Everyone hates haters especially when haters hate MLP FIM. So if you hate Equestria Girls that means that you are technically haters yourselves...

Please some of you need to remember when you became a brony, you give it a chance; do the same with this :)

Not really sure why hating the brony fandom is any different from hating another fandom, or why disliking the concept automatically makes you a "bad" person. :x Perhaps I'm misinterpreting you, but that seems kinda...yeah. :/

I don't consider myself a brony, merely a fan (there is a difference), and I don't dislike the show. I mean, I haven't seen it, so I can't judge it yet. But the idea behind it seems to me like a money ploy, and I dislike that.

Since I don't watch ponies anymore I don't think I'll watch this. Maybe I'll give it a try for the heck of it. The art kinda freaks me out, though. I usually like anthro but this is just plain bad. :lol:

Edited by Morrigan Aensland

I don't really hate it nor can i say i like it. I would have to see the show itself in order to make my decision. But they still should give them normal skin >.>...

• Brohoof 1

As I have previously stated  in a topic earlier "Does Hasbro love us?" I have no qualms when it comes to Equestria girls.  Though the actual designs of the characters don't appeal to me.  I plan on watching it just I did the first episode of MLP: FiM open arms and optimism. 

(edited)

Just because I do not 'hate' it doesn't mean I have to give it a chance. I will check it out for sure, but I am going to watch it with unbelievably low expectations.

So it is either going to be a pleasant surprise or an expected failure. (I predict option 2 though)

The point that we gave FiM a chance feel irrelevant here, because that was just pressure from the fact that My Little Pony is geared towards females. We are already past that barrier and it seems a lot of people doubt this show not because it is for girls like the pressure of the FiM, but that it just seems so....cash-in like and lower quality.

Edited by Kyoshi

You make a great point Frozen mint. 

I don't personally dislike the show, because while I don't care for the art style much, the show hasn't even aired.

I've kept the same idea from watching MLP that I'm going to watch it and see if its any good, and then judge it. It is way to early to judge right now.

Who knows, it may be good, or it may flat out suck. I have no idea, but I will atleast try it. If it sucks then well I'll just go back to pure MLP and move on. Nothing happens bad I see.

What drew me into MLPFIM was the interesting story, character designs, music, ways each episode came together, and other various nuances. 

1. Premise: Said it before, i'll say it again.  The Equestria Girl premise reeks of some all pixie stick, mountain dew filled sugar rush by two executives who pulled a feverish all nighter at the Hasbro corporate office to come up with the next "big thing." 

I'm already despising the idea of:

Twilight just leaps through a mirror and "happens" to find 5 new friends who are like/similar her other friends in Equestria.  This just smells of unoriginality on the level of an amateurish writer, of which I am still an amateur writer when dealing with Fan Fiction.

2. Designs: I am not fond of the designs, even the concepts.  What further disgusted me was the idea for Spike which made the movie even worse as it gave the overall connotation of being a Sabrina The Teenage Witch rip-off. 

3. Similarities to what's out there: I like innovation, which is why I liked MLPFIM.  Though it was based on an existing product, the new series, Friendship is Magic, brought an interesting twist to what is out in animation land right now.

The only upsides I see to this movie are DHX being behind it and Daniel Ingram + his talented musical people being behind it.  If we get something like Sailor Moon, i'll be somewhat tempted to look at it.  To be both blunt and quite brutal, I hope this thing bombs hard as it seems like a horrible, horrible knock off of that Monster High School show as Hasbro tries to capitalize on the teenage girl crowd.  Despite the phrase being "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," I do believe this movie could have been ripe for innovation.  Guess they decided a teenage HS in Equestria with mares growing up was too "girly" for the teenage crowd.   

• Brohoof 1

I agree with you completely here.

I don't see how people can hate on it when Equestria Girls hasn't even been released yet. It could the most amazing thing ever or it could suck. But no one knows until they see it. I, personally, will be giving it a chance before I give any opinions on it whether they be positive or negative.

So please, don't hate or praise Equestria Girls before it comes out. Give it a chance.

(edited)

Ah yes of course the logical fallacy of jumping to conclusions about a person based on single factoid. If you dislike something surely you must hate it just because you are a hater. I've seen this kind of thinking with bronies to anti-bronies. The..."haters gonna hate" clause that seems to exist with anyone that has a different opinion about something than you do. I understand the core message, that is to give something a chance, as we as bronies did with MLP. However I argue against the idea that some people do not like Equestria Girls, just because they are "haters". The may have legitimate reasons for not liking something. For instance, some bronies view this as a corruption or a cash-in on MLP, and in some ways it is. A corruption in that it changes the core material to a point where it is barely recognizable from the source, but still claims itself to be clearly associated with it. A cash-in in that it's trying to appeal to an older generation of girls, and thus acquire more revenue with a broader demographic. Then again perhaps this is to also test the waters to make something more permanent. Either way, I think you shouldn't make blanket judgments about everyone who doesn't like Equestria Girls. Sure some might not have good reasons for not liking Equestria Girls, but that is their right.

To sit there and repeat what everyone has already said about giving things a chance (ad nauseum) to a group of bronies, is for the most part preaching to the choir. In fact most of my brony friends are gonna give it a look because we all know these concepts, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have standards about what we want to watch. Especially when you consider that this is something that possibly abuses the core material that we have grown to love. While we all have different ideas about things, some more informed than others. It is these differing views that give us an opportunity to respect one another even when we have different ideas. I for one will be watching Equestria Girls, and I know a few who won't be. Though we respect each other's decisions, and we don't force our ideas on each other. This is also part what it means to be a brony, and part of what it means to be a respectable person.

When I read the first post of this thread, I did not see this kind of respect. I know this is an unpopular thing to say considering all the support I've seen for it. Though this is who I am, I ask questions about the status quo, and say the things that people don't want to hear. Though they need to, if only to consider a subject in a vastly different way than they are accustomed. This is what it means to think outside yourself, and to see through the eyes of another. The first step in understanding is not to scream your own idea, but to listen to another's.

Edited by Waifles
  • Brohoof 2

Listen friend, I'm just here for Ponies. I never signed an agreement that said I needed to love everything Hasbro gives us. I'm may be showing some shades of hypocrisy, but I'm not going to take a risks with something that I just don't agree with.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

The idea of making them human(I use that word loosely because no human has purple and pink colored skin and has wings)Is an inhumanely atrocious idea. I really don;t know what idiot at Hasbro even conceived that idea. It's like DC vs Mortal Kombat...everyone knew it was going to suck, because the fatalities from the game were cut in half and only given to the MK characters and DC villains and not the heroes. I mean really think logically here. Equestria girls is not going to be an epic movie that we have been waiting for, it's going to stereotype teenage girls, talk about shit like capitalism and how it's evil(ironic since this is a cash grab and nothing more.

Get this, I actually need to watch the movie for 1hr 12m. I could die the day after the movie and I wasted almost an hour and a half watching Equestria Girls

Edited by TheMarkz0ne

To me, haters are people that hate something because:

1) They can.

2) They don't understand it.

3) They like to troll people.

And they aren't willing to give it a chance.

That being said, I don't think EG is a good idea. It seems unnecessary and an attempt at cashing in on the popularity of Monster High.

Of course, I could be wrong. It could turn out to be awesome. Which is why I plan on seeing it. My gut reaction to it is "It's gonna suck." But if I'm going to think something is bad, I intend to be educated on the matter.

So hater, no. Concerned and worried, but willing to give it a shot, yes. :)

Hmmm....Now that I have knowledge that it will be a one off movie. I may give it a try. Is it going to be a DVD like they did with Gen 3.5? Or is it going to be in the cinema?

Personally I never really liked the idea of them going to highschool, seems really cliche. Though I have watched many highschool films such as; High School Musical, Avalon High, Mean Girls etc. So I can't judge it till I watch it.

The artwork maybe still concept but if they are going to make them human...MAKE THEM HUMAN! Not anthro. And yes before people tell me they aren't, they are anthro. Humans don't have pony ears whilst anthro would.