Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think about when you can't sleep?

AstralDrip

(edited)

Some people imagine building their dream house room-by-room, or even brick-by-brick. Other people imagine giving their friends makeovers or envision fantasy shopping sprees. A technique that works for me is imagining all the things I'd need to bring on a fantasy excursion around the world or a camping trip.

So tell me, what do you imagine when you're lying in bed alone at night, and can't sleep.

Edited by AstralDrip
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think about anything, I usually just grab my phone and scroll through status updates on Facebook till I get very tired and just fall asleep with ease. xD

• Brohoof 3

Hmm it changes regularly. It used to be for me that my thoughts would drift to graphical designs and the steps I'd take to create the images I wanted, recently my thoughts have been focused on developing characters and story arcs.

Sometimes (like the night just gone) its problem solving something important.

• Brohoof 1

^same but with Tumblr and Twitter. xD

Aside from that, I just think about what I'm going to be doing tomorrow, like plans and stuff. Then I just reflect on what happened earlier today.

Then I start to quietly weep because I realize I have to be up super early in the morning. :(

• Brohoof 1

I find that imagining pokemon battles helps me. they tend to be more like the show instead of game

I also try to imagine 3D shapes and seeing how they interact with each other. my favorite is getting several tetrahedrons and sticking faces together to make other shapes or chains

• Brohoof 2

The best ideas that I have ever had come from being bored out of my mind in school, or lying in bed watching the ceiling fan make revolutions above me.

Usually I tend to have hardly any control of what my mind comes up with sometimes. It's usually something quite odd or something just plain unusual. For the most part, I can blame lying in bed for random ideas I get for some drawings, or random ideas I get for some goofy story I end up constructing. 

But I guess what makes this the most interesting to myself is whatever I tend to think of I quickly think of a way to pull it off and actually go out of my way to create whatever it is that I had thought of. This will require me giving up on the sleep for now and doing whatever it is that I came up with. If there is a good idea I know it ain't worth losin' I'll for sure remove sleep from my schedule to pull it off. School ain't that interestin' for me to bail out on something that actually could benefit myself. 

It's interesting what one can come up with while lying in bed. I still think my ceiling fan has mystical powers though and I definitely blame all my ideas on that darn thing I tell you what. 

I only get 3-5 hours of sleep usually (I'm a real mess)...so I don't have these problem of not getting to sleep. Back when I had a normal sleeping schedule I'd usually try to expand my fanfics in my mind. That usually helped, because if I couldn't sleep then at least I felt like I was doing something useful.

• Brohoof 1

When I'm trying to sleep, or when I can't sleep, I always tell myself stories. I'm a writer, and I go over ideas or think about future stories, or just little things about the characters in my head. 

• Brohoof 1

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I'm just simply be frustrated that I can't fall asleep and the fact that Fluttershy will never come true.

I usually grab my Kindle and read fanfiction or books on it. I also listen to music and create AMVs/PMVs in my own head. Sometimes I grab my DSi and play Pokemon. It's a big mix for me. happy.png

(edited)

Sleep is just for the weak. >:3

Talking to myself (in mind). Yes, I'm half insane. See my member title? Other than that, I randomly imagine story ideas, characters, etc, but these days my mind is focused on game design. Thinking of what feature I want to make and how to make it.

Edited by Sky Warden

Most times I don't think of anything really because I'll get to caught up in my thoughts and It'll keep me awake. But sometimes I'll think about what I'm going to dream about :)

i always think about my life..
about my failures and what i should do better in the future.. :/
sometimes i think about the meaning of life O.o

(edited)

I don't think about stuff when I sleep. Doing that just keeps me awake.

I like to listen to guided meditations when I can't sleep. They're incredibly relaxing, and seem to make me a bit more focused the next day as well.

Edited by DusK

I just watch tv.  When I don't do that however I think about life the universe and everything.  I end up putting myself asleep in the end.

Usually I can't help but think about all the awful or stupid things I've done either today or in the past. But lately, to avoid that, I'll just browse MLP Forums or go on youtube until like 11:00. Then I'll fall right asleep for some reason.

I usually pretend that there's two of me in my mind. The one is me and the other one is me, too One is me and the other one is a good listener. Then we talk about anything random that comes in mind. If nothing comes up any more then I'll end the conversation and try to sleep by closing my eyes, and think about small random things like "oww those tiny mosquitos are disturbing!". I end up asleep.

I almost always do this thing when I'm alone.

• Brohoof 2

When I can't sleep, I think about sleep and about how tired I am :P. It usually just keeps me up longer but it's hard avoiding that thought

(edited)

I don't think of anything, usually it's thinking that keeps me awake in the first place. Sometimes I just want to punch my brain to get it to stop thinking about random crap! I put on my headphones, lower the volume and listen to my "insomnia" playlist. It contains all of these really peaceful songs that help me relax and finally drift off.

Edited by Celtore

Usually I've thought about and played videogames. But now it's basically depression. I've been so dperessed lately that I can't sleep well. I have to take medicine for my insomnia to get to sleep at night.

Hehehehehehehhehe... Yeah, you know what I mean post-1052-0-26228600-1366066675.gif

Nah but when I can't sleep I think about a bunch of different things. It's nothing I can list here, because it can be just anything.

(edited)

When I can't get to sleep, which is every night, I put in my headphones put on either Nightmare Night, Discord or Beyond her Tomb and I will create a moving picture version of my Fan Fiction in my head, not to the music though. Or I'll put some metal on and imagine an epic battle about anything (usually Mass Effect or Supreme Commander both with some of my own creations involved).

To be honest my favourite time of the day is the space in-between getting into bed and falling asleep, I get practically all my ideas and inspirations around that time.

Edited by British Brony

When I can't sleep it is usually because I am thinking way too much about way too many things at a time and need to tell my brain to shut the hell up.