Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you prefer long or short fanfiction?

skylights

This kinda ties into another fanfic thread I had, but I thought it was a different enough question to merit a new thread. When reading fanfics or looking for something to read, do you prefer longer or shorter stories? Would you rather read something you can finish during your lunch break, or do you want a story that might take you three or four or even more sittings to finish?

I enjoy longer fanfiction since it seems to contain more details and can hold my interest a lot more than shorter ones. Plus, with shorter fanfics and longer fanfics alike, I want more even when it's over. I have no problem in reading them in several sittings because usually if a fanfic is extremely good, I'll read it for several hours straight until it's finished. For example, my favorite pony-related fanfic, Silent Ponyville. 

I prefer reading the short/medium fanfics, since it's kind of discouraging to start a fanfic that's really long. Anything that I can read in a single day is pretty nice. However, the longer fanfics I've read were generally more memorable, but that may be due to me only checking out a really long fanfic if it looks really good or if I've heard great things about it.

Each has it's merits. Shorter fanfics are good for occasions when you can't sit down to read a longer story, but they don't allow for as much depth and development as longer stories. Longer stories can have more development and better story lines, but sometimes they can seem to take too long (fics about Spike always drag on  ;) ). I think quality of writing counts for more than page count; I would rather read 10 well-written pages than 1 poorly written page. Grammar and spelling mistakes drive me crazy, I think that the very least an aspiring writer can do is run the story through spell check. 

• Brohoof 1

Long fan fictions are able to keep my attention, just to wait for another chapter to begin. They hold many opportunities for character development and, they hold different scenarios.

I usualy prefer short novel, (mostly because I'm not a native English speaker and reading them in a internet browser is kind of a pain :P) but I'm sure that if I get my hand on the PDF version of a good fanfic, I could read it all the day...

Edited by Shadling

Honestly, it depends on the subject matter and how it's handled.

Short and sweet can be good for heartfelt moments and minor issues, but glazing over important matters in a particular story can be pretty disappointing as a missed opportunity.

At the same time, I don't believe that a story should become long and bloated (usually due to the author's cockiness) with unnecessary filler wasting my time a postponing certain plot point just for the sake of 'writing a longer story' which eventually makes the story both tedious and boring to read.

Well of course it depends on the time of fic. For an adventure type, it's better if it were long. Now for a short slice of life simple little fic with not much going on, short is best. I don't mind long slice of life type fics as long as the scenes don't drag on and there's something that's keeping me reading. :)

Longer just since they're usually more fun to read in the end but my preference depends on the situation often I prefer short fanfictions because I don't have time to read longer ones or simply because often the shorter ones are good enough. But I still prefer longer though I usually end up reading shorter ones.