385 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it!
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Bulk Biceps, huh? Alrighty. Definitely a quirky character XD

inb4 bulkshy or however that ship's going to get named.

Was nice to see Soarin again as well as Spitfyre. Did Fleetfoot already have a voice or not? Can't remember.

Seems like the Wonderbolts are kind of an elitist bunch.

Rainbow Dash... Being the element of loyalty, everyone knew she was going to side with with Flutter and Bulk in the end. Heh, she tried to opt out of the decision making altogether at first which was kind of a surprise. Even more surprising... Derpy!

• Brohoof 1

This episode ended far better than it began.  I was practically yelling at my TV as I watched Rainbow Dash face her moral conflict, a nearly identical one she faced in Friendship is Magic, Part II, and basically fail at it.  At least she practiced with both teams, but then she had trouble deciding which team to pick, and her decision was to abandon them both.  Never leave her friends hanging my tail!

Then an incredibly strong finish came as Rainbow Dash comes through in the end, learning her lesson lesson a little late when she saw somepony else being unfairly treated.  In addition it was at a cost for her opportunity to fly with her heroes.  This kicks RD's flank into action and has her not only own up for her own deception, but confront her heroes on their own.  The fact that Spitfire learned a lesson from this also shows that RD has more to offer her favorite team when she joins than just her incredible flying skills.  Well played indeed.

Oh the fact that Soarin was not the jerk of the three probably places him as Rainbow Dash's favorite Wonderbolt... oh dear Celestia, its shipping fuel.  Everypony run!

• Brohoof 1

This episode was absolutely hilarious. Mostly cause of Bulk Biceps and fluttershy, but really ALL the main characters made me laugh at some point.

That being said, the plot was kinda weak and predictable. Really, Rainbow Dash should have known better. The wonder bolts suddenly being antagonistic was also really odd. Twilight withholding her advice when RD has asked for it, and then guilt tripping her for her decision was freaking stupid. Even if she did it to teach RD a lesson, that was pretty inconsiderate.

Anyway I liked it for the comedic aspects but the story could've been better.

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 1

I thought it was a good solid episode. It wasn't amazing, but I still really enjoyed it. There were a lot of characters finally getting a speaking role (some even got a role in the story), and the message was nice. Although, this episode did remind me of a Rainbow Dash version of "Sweet and Elite." Not really a bad thing though, as that's one of my favorite episodes in the whole show.

I didn't really like the portrayal of Spitfire in this episode; she seemed a bit out-of-character to me compared to what we have seen before. But I'm glad she learned a lesson at the end, so I guess it's all good. I also thought Fleetfoot had a great design, and she'd probably be my favorite wonderbolt if it weren't for her personality.

Overall, it was a good episode; nothing spectacular, but it was still good.

She's baaaaack!

post-3492-0-71855100-1390085089_thumb.gif

Oh and a lot  of other stuff happened too.

Awesome slapstick, a decent dilemma and nice Mane Six antics.

Minor points taken of for Spitfire being a bit of a douche (but then again, she's off duty).

All in all a great episode and hopefully an indication of things to come.

-Bad uniforms from Rare.

That's another thing: Who's idea was it to soil rares record? Those ¨dresses¨ rare supposedly made looked worse than applejacks work in s3 e13. They looked like gunny sacks covered in mud and sprinkled with flowers. Rare wouldn't have done that horrible a job. And before anyone argues over use vs looks I'll point out that, even if for active wear reasons, rare would've still made it look better than those rags we saw in her passing around the episode

• Brohoof 1

One thing that bugged me about the episode.

Soarin's wing was fine, but the Wonderbolts wanted to get a better flyer anyway, so they sought out Rainbow Dash. 

So... Dash is a better flyer than Soarin.

So.... *Why isn't she a Wonderbolt yet?*

• Brohoof 1

AWESOME EPISODE! And to top it all of, Derpy is back! I really couldn't have asked more from this episode, it had lots of talking background characters, Snowflake, Spitfire which was actually kind of a jerk for the better part of the episode, and Soarin which turns out to be a pretty cool pony dude!

100000000/10!!!!! LOVED IT!!!!!!!!

Imo, this episode was weak and shallow.

First let's discuss a few things.

1) Shoving down how great Dash is.

I bring this up because people complained that Manehattan did that for Rarity

2) the callbacks to WA.

Some of you may be tempted to say this signifies character development but it really doesn't. We'll get into why.

The episode was competently strung together with some good gags but ultimately it had a predictable plot and a moral lesson that has been done several times before.

The callbacks to WA exemplify this, Spitfire even says this is what happened at the academy. It's the same conflict.

I'm okay with recycling conflicts for different lessons to be gained from them, but in order for that to work a different angle on the situation has to be presented. This one did not do that to my knowledge. It was just Dash choosing her idols versus her friends, WA did that more competently.

In fact, that episode also rips of RTM's plot progression but executes it poorly.

Both are about the character temporarily going against their element but after seeing how great their friends treated them realize it was wrong and inspire the element in others because of this revelation.

But Manehattan did two things better: it spent a good chunk of time establishing the element in Rarity, introduced a social karma idea to help the audience understand the logic of the plot, and had a good conflict to cause Rarity to forgo her element.

This episode did not imo.

Edited by Whatevs
  • Brohoof 1

Couple of things... Bulk biceps... (stup name) should not be a main character.

BB now has more lines then Big Mack

And Derpy is back (YAY!!!!) .... But not on speaking terms(sighs!)

Rainbow Dash (at first) stuped to new lows in this episode... although she made up for it in the end, she still went there.

The episode was still better then daring don't though

Twilight actually acted like a leader,( which made me happy) by coaxing RD into her decision by showing the other side of the coin and then stepping aside.

Overall not a bad episode

• Brohoof 1

Whew! Finally got around to doing this after the events of the last couple of days with my grandma passing away and having to house sit.

With that out of the road, let's get to it shall we?

To quote from my tweet this morning:

"What an episode! What a moment! What a miracle! It's a dream come true! We will see you at the Crystal Empire soon!" 

What can I say?, I am pretty much lost for words after watching the episode live this morning. To quote the words from the words of Bruce McAvaney......it was special.

Rainbow Dash's loyalty was put to the test during this episode. For those who aren't in the loop, she was born in Cloudsdale, but migrated to Ponyville to work on the weather team.

Seeing her having to make a choice to either push through with the Ponyville team and her best friend Fluttershy or defect to her home town of Cloudsdale and the Wonderbolts really brought out the best in her and showed a new side of the character that we haven't seen before. Normally she would be showing off her "too cool" and raspy style, but for this episode that all went out the window as she was left with a choice that had to be made on her own.

The qualifying race itself was a heart stopping, on the edge of your seat feeling right from the start. It had a Olympic (or in my case Paralympic) final feeling to it and while I was trying not to make the entire house up as I cheered on Ponyville to a qualification spot, the team went for broke and made the qualifying time with only a millisecond to spare.

Apart from that, there isn't much left for me to talk about for this episode. The Equestria Games story arc is starting to pick up in a big way and the next couple of episodes will be interesting to watch as the season progresses to the half way point.

I also have written my full thoughts on the episode itself on my blog, which can be viewed here.

Whew! Finally got around to doing this after the events of the last couple of days with my grandma passing away and having to house sit.

With that out of the road, let's get to it shall we?

To quote from my tweet this morning:

"What an episode! What a moment! What a miracle! It's a dream come true! We will see you at the Crystal Empire soon!"

What can I say?, I am pretty much lost for words after watching the episode live this morning. To quote the words from the words of Bruce McAvaney......it was special.

Rainbow Dash's loyalty was put to the test during this episode. For those who aren't in the loop, she was born in Cloudsdale, but migrated to Ponyville to work on the weather team.

Seeing her having to make a choice to either push through with the Ponyville team and her best friend Fluttershy or defect to her home town of Cloudsdale and the Wonderbolts really brought out the best in her and showed a new side of the character that we haven't seen before. Normally she would be showing off her "too cool" and raspy style, but for this episode that all went out the window as she was left with a choice that had to be made on her own.

The qualifying race itself was a heart stopping, on the edge of your seat feeling right from the start. It had a Olympic (or in my case Paralympic) final feeling to it and while I was trying not to make the entire house up as I cheered on Ponyville to a qualification spot, the team went for broke and made the qualifying time with only a millisecond to spare.

Apart from that, there isn't much left for me to talk about for this episode. The Equestria Games story arc is starting to pick up in a big way and the next couple of episodes will be interesting to watch as the season progresses to the half way point.

I also have written my full thoughts on the episode itself on my blog, which can be viewed here.

It really did nothing new for her character. It was the most shallow loyalty story in the show this far

Yay! This was a great episode!

Snowflake was soooo awesome with his lines!

And that emblem at the end...I think it's another key to the box. 

And some of those screenshot moments of this episode were just completely adorable...like this one:

post-8804-0-71601700-1390090162_thumb.png

Bulk Biceps, that name is so funny, it reminds me of the nicknames Mike and the bots gave Reb Brown from "Space Mutiny", but this was great episode, to me it's the best Rainbow Dash episode since "Wonderbolts Academy", plus the best pegasi episode since then. Here is where Rainbow's true colours shine through, so many bronies see her as an arrogant braggart, but Rainbow Dash is not conceited, she does humble herself to her friends, and the citizens of Ponyville, Rainbow even had second thoughts and doubt, true arrogance does not have pity. "Rainbow Falls" is also a great slice of life episode with an adventure story arc, it also challenges Rainbow Dash's loyalty, we can relate to this, like moving to a new town or school, where your loyalty is tested, remain loyal to the old town or new friends, but in the end the Wonderbolts were manipulating Rainbow over Soarin to have the best flyer. Rainbow Dash once again made the right decision, and called out the Wonderbolts on their impudence, and this is why Rainbow Dash is such a great character, she could rival Rarity for best pony, she may like victory but she loves her friends a lot more, now if more bronies can see that about Rainbow Dash. Finally, the visuals were amazing, we saw Bulk Biceps, seriously this would give Blast Hardcheese a run for his money, and speak, plus I squeed when I saw Derpy, this episode was definitely a shoutout to the fans, and had continuity from "Wonderbolts Academy", right down to that whimsical martial music that sounds like the love child of "The Great Escape" and "The Bridge over the River Kwai", now that Ponville is headed to the Equestria Games, we are getting much build up to something big, with the plot set up from "Flight to the Finish", this can truly become epic, next we "Pinkie Pride".    

Edited by Emperor Peter

Boy rainbow cant pick a team worth beans! ponyvill clearly has other ponies that can fly better than flutter or Fluuters I can see keeping fluttershy but he should have picked a better third pony other than snowflake?.

the story was a bit predictable but I have a feeling that all the "key" episodes are going to be somewhat predictable do to the fact its going to play off each pony's element in some way. and if this and rarity's episodes are "key" episodes its about bucking time. if this keeps up the last two episodes cold be the pony's figuring out that they are the keys and or trying to figure out how to use them to open the locks. perhaps in part 2 the box will be the wiz bang thingie that saves the day. or they finally realize that they are the elements of harmony. just my two bits on the subject.

This is definitely one of my new favorites. Rainbow Dash's traits were really tested in the episode; her deep desire to win, and obviously, her loyalty. She never completely decided to play for the Cloudsdale team, so I never felt like she was being a selfish, "b word". In the end, she managed to qualify with the Ponyville team anyways by a hair and stayed true to her friends.

Other things I liked:

-Derpy! Y u no talk??!

-That rainbow gleam of...something

-The sound Dash made before he stated writing in that journal how she loved winning

-YEAHH! Happy ending!

Though I still wonder if Rainbow Dash is fine with just qualifying (they barely made it) or if she really wants to win the gold when they get the chance to actually compete. Her team is already decided, though. Congrats Ponyville!!

10hlj89.png

Edited by Wingin'Wolf