• Carpooling/General Passenger
    • Bicycle/Alt
    • Walking
  3. 3. Age Group

• Under 16
    • 16-25
    • 26-35
    • 36+

I should be driving by now, but I due to lack of money and practice/resources I am sadly missing this nowadays pretty crucial permission for a standard means of personal transportation.

put the pedal to the meddle and drift the corner at mach speeds

that'll give you a rush

especially when you start swerving and almost run into a sign 

I wish there were not a character limit, because I would love to respond with just this: :o

Edited by dsharp105

I wish there were not a character limit, because I would love to respond with just this: :o

Cue the symbolic DIxie Horn from the Dukes of Hazzard... 

When I was younger and stupider, when I first got my license, I once jumped some railroad tracks (they were on a medium slope, enough to get air off of) Dukes of Hazzard style  :wau:

Cue the symbolic DIxie Horn from the Dukes of Hazzard... 

When I was younger and stupider, when I first got my license, I once jumped some railroad tracks (they were on a medium slope, enough to get air off of) Dukes of Hazzard style  :wau:

I heart the duke brothers 

• 4 months later...

I'm not a bad driver, but I'm still terrified of driving.  :(

Driving is kind of an anxiety trigger for me, so I try not to do it any more than I have to. Having a panic attack and feeling like you're going to pass out are definitely not good when you're behind the wheel. It's unsafe for me, anyone in the car with me, and everyone outside of the car around me. 

I'm scared of driving for the 5 minutes before I do it. Once I start, I never want to stop. I really enjoy traveling and I have a 40 minute drive to my university nearly everyday, so I'm certainly used to it.

I actually can't drive. The reason is because of my special needs. I can't focus on the road, and I get distracted easily. Plus, I have a hard time understanding the rules of the road, how fast or slow I need to go... stuff like that. I've never driven a car in my entire life, and I never even got my license either. D:

No. I'm very cautious when I drive and it stresses me out to drive on highways because it's so fast (in comparison a "normal"  teenager likes to go fast). People are impatient, they're always wanting to get to wherever as fast as possible and I'm much more patient.

To those of you too young to drive, don't get so excited, your parents will have to pay for insurance, and if you're a male in the US your insurance rate would make Bill Gates cry. 

• 3 months later...

In this day and age, driving has become a necessity. Many important locations such as work, shops, and other homes are often far out of walking distance. With the ever-growing expansion of cities and towns, these locations are becoming more and more spread out, and the act of traveling by vehicle has become something most can't live without.

But how many actually enjoy it? Do people choose to drive purely because of the situational advantages, or does our innate desire for control promote a driver-positive decision? I've developed a poll in order to see what the general consensus is in regards to the use of a road-based vehicle. I'd also be interested in people's more defined responses.
Feel free to choose multiple methods of transport if you're like me and alternate enough depending on the location and situation.

EDIT: Added Age group poll

Edited by Unikitty
  • Brohoof 4

I dont like driving. I've never driven and I dont think I am ready to drive a car in this situation in my life, or in near future.

I walk everywhere I go. It is slow and tiring, but its the only thing I got.

• Brohoof 4

I don't really like driving, it is really stressful as I constantly have to pay attention to everything around me. I prefer walking really. However, it is true that driving has become a necessity. Perhaps you need to get to work or you want to travel somewhere far away. 

Edited by JonasDarkmane
  • Brohoof 2

i love driving! it's basically the closest we can come to absolute freedom in this day and age. being able to just go everywhere you want!

(also, i'm a huuuuuge car nut, so i might be a bit biased)

• Brohoof 4

I personally like it. Either it being driving with the windows down on a cool summer day, to a sweet night ride. Though I also have a sweet sound system with subwoofers, which is also nice :P

• Brohoof 2

i love driving! it's basically the closest we can come to absolute freedom in this day and age. being able to just go everywhere you want!

(also, i'm a huuuuuge car nut, so i might be a bit biased)

Yep. I was basically going to say this.

Freude am Fahren.

• Brohoof 3

I live in New York City, and we're lucky enough here to have an excellent and widely used public transportation system (the subway). There are still plenty of cars about, but it's a far lower percentage of the population than other places, especially because of the immense traffic. I've never much cared about driving - although I was raised in Minnesota, where it's quite inconvenient not to drive, my parents didn't like driving and in fact never owned a car. As a result I have no real interest in it; I never got a license because it would be a pointless hassle. Cars are expensive, reasonably dangerous, and most cause a great deal of pollution (though cleaner electric cars are proliferating, and supposedly safer computer-driven cars are on their way). In essence, I don't mind the action of driving - it's a bit fun, which is why there are plenty of video games about it - but I see no need to bother, and there are plenty of reasons against driving in real life.

As for freedom? At least in NYC, I can get the same amount of freedom by walking (and, if I want to, taking the subway) to anywhere I want in the city. And there's enough to do here that I don't feel restricted.

Besides. We have "teh internetz".

• Brohoof 3

While I can see why others like the idea of driving, I personally would rather ride my bike everywhere, but then again everything in my town is so close together I could just walk.

• Brohoof 1

I am not really fond of driving due to my panic attacks and random spasms. So in other words I am really jumpy. I recall incidents were my mam is driving around the Donaghmede roundabout, all of a sudden someone overtakes her and I jump and tug on my mam's jumper. The problem being I am not really good at distinguishing distances.. 

Edited by ArcusPluviusIncitus
  • Brohoof 2

I love driving because cars are fun and kinda scary.  Still, since my apartment is really close to campus I walk most everywhere I go.  I pretty much only drive on the weekends or when I need to buy groceries.

• Brohoof 2