Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do YOU study for tests?

Invincible

Rainbow might have her heightened awareness thing going on during flight, Twilight has her flashcards... but what about you? How do YOU study for an important exam?

I personally like to set up the material in my room, copy down everything relevant to the subject, rehearse it and then solve test-like problems. Doing it all while downing a mug of coffee and listening to soundtracks which i feel can inspire thinking.

i dont lol

on the rare occasion that i do, i read over my mostly useless notes about 5 minutes before said test

I concur. I actually pay really good attention in class and have developed a way for me to take notes that are easy to find what I need. Then I just glance through my notes for the last 5-10 mins before the test. That is, if I study at all to begin with!

• Brohoof 3

I don't. I just retain the information until the tests, and forget it all after. Except for mathematics, 'cause they be poppin, as the kids put it.

• Brohoof 2

Pretty much all of my professors have provided me with outlines or something of the sort for their upcoming tests. I would take the outline (or whatever I was given) and look all over the textbook for important relevant information for each point. I would then type said information into the document, and after I was done I would read over everything and find out which ones I didn't have in my memory, and then memorize them. Highlighting the 'answer' in black, making it only visible when I needed it to be really helped as well. I would then print it all out and read over it several times before the exam. lol

This method has worked for pretty much every class I have taken. Although you have to judge the class to know exactly how much detail you have to go into the memorization. I got burned in my first Music History exam last year, because it was a short-answer exam, starting with him playing recordings, and from there identify various features of the piece (composer, exact genre, piece name, etc.). After the first exam I put every piece we listened to in my playlist and learned to identify all of that information really fast. (It helped that I like classical music lol).

But aside from Music History, or classes that do exams completely different (my course on Medieval England was a bit different, and the final exam was all writing down essays) this method works like a charm, I'd say!

• Brohoof 1

The only time I ever had to study was in college, and it was mostly studying in the form of practical application. I did audit an orgo chem course, which had the honor of teaching me that this world may be populated with great genius and I am not one of them.

Personally, I find it really difficult to study or do any kind of work at home - typically I'll go into college with the sole purpose of studying, then while I'm at home I play video games to my hearts' content.

(edited)

My memory can be pretty spotty at times so conventional studying is not too good for me.

I usually have to look over text et while listening to music or doing something else i enjoy at the same time.

Edited by Pinkamena-Pills
  • Brohoof 1

I copy a few of my review worksheets and a few pieces of homework before I actually write it so I still have a blank copy. Before the tests, I generally look them over and try to write down as much as the questions – if I have any questions I don't know, I usually just reread from the textbook.

But most of the time, I honestly know my stuff, so I really don't study my stuff very long.

I never studied for tests in school. Even though my grades sucked from not doing homework like...ever I always got good grades on tests. I was never good at note-taking though. I can't write fast enough and when I'm doing so I tend to stop hearing what people are saying and miss things anyway. I could never do it.

• Brohoof 1

Basically, my teacher tells us what we should learn for the test. The way I prepare is by reading everything that seems like it's important from the student's book but I don't look at my notebook because my writing is ugly. I also use the internet for important information. When the day comes, sometimes I take stress pills because I freak out during a test due to the fact I might fail.

For each subject/module I buy a separate notebook or pad (often with coloured paper, a different colour for each module). I write notes in lectures then rewrite them alongside highlighted material from that week's relevant chapter/book in either the notebook or pad.  By the end of the term I then have a succinct account of the module's core material without having to look at a textbook's jargon or scrappy lecture-taken notes. :) If I'm feeling radical, I also make flashcards from my own notebook notes and test myself by writing out thematic bulletpoints on key topics. 

I give myself an hour or two of my time to read over notes, as well as read over the books. I do this frequently prior to the exam. I'm able to study with background noise like music and TV, because I really don't like the silence. :s

(edited)

I quiz myself on the content on each slide show and I keep testing myself until I have everything on the slides committed to memory. Then the next day, I go over the questions I've written for myself and try again. I like to have at least 3-4 days, but I can still use this method pretty efficiently with only 1 day in an exam/project crunch. Up until exam/test time, I keep quizzing myself and when I finally sit down, I have all the answers pretty much prepared.

Oh, and if it's a programming class, I also dedicate a few hours for general programming to make sure I know how to use all the concepts we've been taught. Plus it's a nice way to take a break from the theory stuff.

Edited by Celtore

I've never studied for tests in school. :lol:  I was a lazy kid, but I still passed, so it's all good :)

• Brohoof 1

Depends on what the subject asks of you. For mathematics, it has a lot to do with skill. With physics, it's often about understanding relationships. For certain subjects, it's just memorization (I really hate those). 

There's a frame of reference that I use to see if I'm understanding a subject correctly. This works especially well when the teacher gives you the slides he's used in the classes. If I could give the lessons and be able to answer questions then that shows that I've got the subject down. That's what I'm going to do get myself prepped for the Telecommunications re-exam I'll be doing in August.