Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Steven Universe vs. Gravity Falls vs. My Little Pony: FiM

Blue Moon

71 users have voted

1. 1. Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, or MLP: FiM

• Steven Universe
    • Gravity Falls
    • My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

I'm more into Steven Universe at the moment, but that isn't to say I don't still enjoy MLP. As others here have mentioned, MLP has great strength in its charming moral delivery and blending slice of life with some adventure elements. Those are the same reasons I really like Steven Universe, even though they are ultimately two distinct flavors of magical destiny.

I haven't watched Gravity Falls on any consistent basis, perhaps at most catching an episode in passing. I can't offer much insight apart from being entertained in a general sense.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

I haven't seen all of Steven Universe or Gravity Falls (I plan on watching more of Gravity Falls this week) but I think I've seen enough of both to get an opinion:

Steven Universe has interesting ideas, but I feel like they focus too much on character and not enough on plot, in which I wouldn't mind if they made Steven less annoying. I think that's partially due to the fact that all of the episodes are 11 minutes, so they can't cram in a solid plot for each episode.

Gravity Falls on the other hand goes for plot over character, but I think that's okay because the episodes are (roughly) 22 minutes each and the characters are interesting enough that I can stay invested. What really makes Gravity Falls great is how it handles the mystery, which I always find intriguing with any show. Although most of what I watched goes between "good but not great" episodes and "meh" episodes. I have yet to see all of it, though.

MLP: FiM I think just has more solid characters and more interesting plots, mostly because of how well the show can make it understandable for little girls but also relatable and entertaining for everyone else. It's a good balance of plot and character, which is how I think a TV show should be done. Admittedly, MLP has some noticeable duds, but there's more than enough real "great" to "amazing" episodes to make up for them.

So currently, it's MLP>Gravity Falls>>Steven Universe, and I'm putting Gravity Falls not too far behind MLP.

Edit: Forget what I said about GF.

GF>>>>>>>>>MLP>SU

Edited by Unr3alGamer

MLP for sure. Steven universe looks really stupid, though I guess the backstory about gems and his parents or whatever is a little interesting. Gravity Falls has the worst fandom of 11 year olds ever. Normally I dont hate on shows like this but the fandoms ruined both for me (Mostly Gravity Falls) and I really despise the shows, and not even because of the show itself and that's sad. The fandom is THAT bad imo. No offense to people who like either show, I wont judge you for it! Like I said, it's just my opinion.

(edited)

Gravity Falls and Steven Universe are better in my opinion, but I still like MLP. Those are probably my top 3 cartoons. Steven Universe and Gravity falls have better continuity, plots and character arcs.

Edited by Emerald Star

I like all 3 shows, in fact they're all in my Top 5, but if I had to choose, I'd have to say MLP:FiM. I personally feel it has the best characters, plus it has the most balance between characters and plots out of them. But.. Steven Universe is just sliiiightly behind it, which it's my second favorite show tied with classic and S17+ Thomas and Friends, simply because I find it fun to watch, and I'm really impressed with how much they put into 11 minutes without making things seem like a poorly paced mess.

Gravity Falls is also great and again, sliiiightly behind Steven Universe, but I do feel after getting into Steven Universe and watching the episodes, I feel like Steven Universe has the upper hand with it's plot arcs IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Steven Universe has interesting ideas, but I feel like they focus too much on character and not enough on plot, in which I wouldn't mind if they made Steven less annoying. I think that's partially due to the fact that all of the episodes are 11 minutes, so they can't cram in a solid plot for each episode.

^ I still uphold this

And...

Gravity Falls on the other hand goes for plot over character, but I think that's okay because the episodes are (roughly) 22 minutes each and the characters are interesting enough that I can stay invested. What really makes Gravity Falls great is how it handles the mystery, which I always find intriguing with any show. Although most of what I watched goes between "good but not great" episodes and "meh" episodes. I have yet to see all of it, though.

^ And boy am I wrong about the quality of the episodes.

The show starts off pretty good, but then it gets so much better and interesting. The characters are all 3 dimensional, Mabel is hilarious, Grunkle Stan is the best character, Soos is the icing on the humor's cake, the animation is beautiful, and it's very tightly written. It remembers itself from episode to episode and it only gets better as it goes. Not a single mediocre or bad episode in Gravity Falls.

Gravity Falls is my new favorite animated show on TV right now. 

I haven't watched Gravity Falls (yet), so no comment there.

It may just be because it's newer to me, but Steven Universe right now is kicking FiM's ass (poor Cranky :)). And yet in some ways, I feel it's unfair to both shows to compare them. If I had to be forced to it, I would say MLP does better in the "slice of life" arena while SU does better in terms of creating an overall myth arc and continuing story line. And even (gasp) developing the characters better. When SU characters learn a lesson, it tends to stick. In FiM, the lessons tend to be forgotten in order to preserve the status quo (and when it isn't preserved, bronies tend to foment drama.)

SU is tackling issues (and doing it well) that FiM simply hasn't yet tried to approach. 

I guess in the end, both shows have their strengths.

I've not watched any SU not from clips I've seen it's not something I'm remotely interested in. Gravity Falls is okay I guess only seen a bit off it. So MLP wins my default. 

In second place (because there are two first places lol)... Steven Universe. I've never really watched this show that much, I usually see it as a bunch of nonsense really. The random plot lines remind me of Adventure Time a little. I guess watching it in order might make a little more sense.

In joint first place... Gravity Falls. I loooove this show! Every episode has a clear and interesting story, I love the characters, and I mean Stan is awesome. Also... ILLUMINATI!!

And of course, tying in first is MLP! What can I say really? It's damn amazing!

Wow... a thread that... is a verus thread... of my three favorite TV series... of all time.

large.jpg

Honestly, they're my top 3 favorite shows ever. EVER! No way I can choose. Much like my friend says, they're like the triforce of animated television series today. (Back then the triforce being Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab, and I guess Johhny Bravo. Hehehe.)

Nostalgia Critic made a video discussing modern kids shows today and has spoken about Steven Universe and Gravity Falls. Not MLP though:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qXpWAO0F7ck

My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic - At first glance, it looks like the past previous generations of children's shows before especially for little girls with the older My Little Pony. It's supposed to be just a show to be used as a cheap tactic to make more toys to sell to young blissful girls. However... the series has succeed more beyond that. It has grown into one of the biggest fandoms all over the Internet. Producing countless both amazing (and questionable...) works of fanart and Fanfiction and it just burst end with creativity. It's really a well done and fun show that's enjoyable for both fans big and small for it never ceases to amaze both their target audience and us, the fandom. Teaches great lessons we all can learn from with well developed and likable characters. The characters can be good role models for the target audience and are relatable or even good role models for the older fans like us. Leaves great amounts of creativity for the fandom to pander with. Such as with background ponies or secondary characters (before Episode 100 both confirmed and destroyed countless head cannons with fan service) and their many possibilities or how the main characters could behave like not during the show.

It can be a cute and silly show and other times often adventurous and a bit sometimes exciting with blissful moments and characters. The Mane Six have a great deal of character development and so do the secondary and minor characters. And it has many interesting and creative concepts such as alicorness living like 1,000 years or princesshood, the different tribes of species, the other species of Ewuestira besides ponies, and such. A great show anyone can like of all ages to sum it up well.

Gravity Falls - May seem like a simple and humorous show only at first glance, but that's until you grab your magnify and investigate. As you look closely, the series truly holds it's own secrets both children and older fans have keen eyes to spot. The show surpringly has many supernatural aspects explored by it's two main characters Dipper and Mabel. The first two or few more episodes don't have much to offer at first, but then the more you get into the series and the more episodes you watch the show and it's amazing mysterious show gets truly compelling and puzzling. First we find out a series of not one or two but three journals that record all the supernatural things found in Gravity Falls, then we get a DEMON that looks like the eye of providence/illamati eye when I first watched Gravity Falls Bill Cipher, and we even eventually find out the true author! It's up to you, to us the watchers and fans, to find the missing pieces of the countless puzzles Gravity Falls offers.

Also as a bonus for any Discord fans who hadn't watched Gravity Falls yet, Bill Cipher is quite similar to Discord. :P

I honestly don't think I should give away much of the show's synopsis other than Dipper and Mabel have to spend their summer in Gravity Falls Oregon with their cooky uncle (grunkle) Stan until they find out the town's creepy secrets. It's worth watching if you like a good old mysterious cartoon filled with codes and symbolic secrets and you have to watch it yourself to see.

Steven Universe - A wonderfully fun show with much heart put into it about Steven being raised by the Crystal Gems in Beach City. Steven Universe actually is quite bursting with creativity as the episodes go. It's full of heartfelt storytelling and all the characters actually become more compelling the more you get into the show. In fact many of the characters both main and secondary may come off as pretty groundbreaking and are well-developed. I enjoy how much Steven Universe has quite a lot of story arcs in it. It's countinituity is well done and fun to come back to. It has interesting and creative concepts such as the origins of the gems which we don't know much of yet, cushion, secrets the characters hold, and such. And Steven Universe also has some of the sweetest or kinda exciting or saddest moments. All simplistic but still effective.

Such as Pearl's admiration for Steven's mom Rose before she gave up her human body form and become a Rose Quartz to give birth to Steven and Pearl feeling nostalgia of memories of Rose and tears up with Steven over them. Leaving many fans sad. Or Amystet actually hating herself and that she was born in a "kindergarten" (*cough* If you seen the episode it's not THAT kind of kinder"garden"*cough*)

Or even Garent's secret that I won't reveal. ;) All in all, it's a amazingly well done show with many creativity and heart out into it and it's up to you and us the watchers and fans to point out hidden clues or secrets this show even has for like Gravity Falls, it also has tricks up it's sleeves.

In conclusion, I think all three are equally awesome in my opinion. Some may appeal to different people and not appeal to the same groups of people but I'm personally in the small minority unpopular opinion of them all being equally amazing.

Though all three of them do have their flaws as well. But I want to focus on the postivites here.

large.png

Honestly, it's kinda sad that fictional characters can get along better than their own fandoms. Worse that I'm apart of all three which makes me feel like I'm in a tug-a-war battle.

Edited by 5NightsAtFazbear
  • Brohoof 1

I can't answer this question as I have not seen gravity falls and I have no idea what steven universe is. I'll edit this post if I ever get to see them :P

I only seen Gravity falls and I liked it. The only reason I dont like Steven Universe is because Im jealous how much more popular it is than mlp. Seems like everything I like is always the unpopular thing. 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Honestly, I don't even get the point of this thread...

My answer: In my opinion, I love all three shows equally.

And that makes you 20% cooler! I know I have a fire for all of these shows that will never die down because I'M AN ETERNAL FLAME, BABY!!! Too bad GF is over, though. I miss it... but my aim is gettin' better!

And now that I've successfully referenced my three favorite shows in one post, I have.. made a complete geek of myself... Yes!  :adorkable:

Haven't watched SU yet, but I've catch up on Gravity Falls. It's a tie, although I leaned towards MLP.

Gravity Falls is a great show though. Wendy is girlfriend material. :D

I'm guessing you've watched it now looking at your profile picture XD.

I'm going to say Steven Universe is my favourite :D. I just prefer it and find it more interesting then MLP and Gravity falls but that doesn't mean I dislike them

As much as I like MLP and Gravity Falls, I'd probably have to say Steven Universe wins here. I feel like after getting caught up with the series, I feel like Steven Universe does things that makes MLP great, and pushes it even further, plus I find it's overarcing plots and adventure feel really interesting, and it seems to handle mature topics better than MLP does.

• Brohoof 2

Ok, I haven't seen GF so I can't comment on it. at least it is not everywhere anymore

But I can't chose between SU and MLP. But honestly, as of right now, Steven Universe.

With the whole Into Deep thing happening, it just gives hypes. The only hype I see on MLP now is about Trixie re-appearing.

• Brohoof 1

at least it is not everywhere anymore

is what I will say when steven universe ends. Because I do not like steven universe. 

gravity falls ftw