Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media PCs vs. Macs

ThePoniMan

PCs or Macs?

GO!

I personally prefer non-Apple computers. They give me more room for customization; I can create a more powerful system catered to my needs. As much as I hate to say it, I do admire the physical aspects of Macs. They are sleek looking, have really nice screen displays, and their operating system is very unique. That aside, PCs still suit me much better as someone who plays video games and likes to render lots of stuff (I have a freaking 6-core processor. SIX CORES, and then it has multi-threading capabilities). Macs are also a bit overpriced for their overall value...

A 2.7GHz i5 processor, 8GB of DDR3 RAM, and 128GB of storage for $1,299?? My entire system costs just a few hundred more than that price, and I have a GTX 660 ti graphics card, 8GB of DDR4 RAM, a 6-core i7 processor, and a 1TB HDD as well as a 250GB SSD.

This topic has probably been covered before, but I can't find an active one (AKA I can't find one at all), so feel free to express you opinions here :D

• Brohoof 3

I like PCs more because they always end up having better gaming performance for a cheaper price. Customization wise there is a wide variety of hardware to choose from different companies and easier to switch out parts that are out of order. Computers with better gaming performance means better in almost everything regarding computers.

• Brohoof 1

I hate macs... Nobody develops shit for it. I wanna get a few programs but it ain't happening... Don't even make me begin with steam... The catalog is not so good... No sfm, no sonic games. (Which I paid for) and horsegame doesn't run on my MacBook Air... Very sad and If it were my choice, I would stop using it and get a real computor. But for now, this is what I got sadly...

• Brohoof 2

PC, if you want a good price-performance ratio.

Mac, if you value design more.

I always got a electric shock during Christmas time from my aluminium clad mac keyboard I had to use at work.

I own a PC myself that I built. I'm into gaming, so naturally I need a PC for that. Macs are just too expensive to be used for "everyday" use. However I will be getting a suited up iMac at some point because believe it or not, for what I want it for, it'll be cheaper. Essentially I need a machine dedicated ONLY for video editing, and building another PC like this one to do that would actually be not as economic. Plus for what I do with my videos (i.e. review technology and such) it is smarter to have both platforms.

Naturally though, I prefer other platforms due to the fact that Mac can not run a majority of what I do without the use of Wine, other emulators, or not at all! Strangely there seems to be more people to help you get stuff working on Linux than Mac.

I prefer PCs. I don't play computer games (or do anything non-internet related), but I still think Macs are too confusing :wat:

I don't care too much though :)

Edited by SwirlyWolf
Removed off-topic line.

I like pc better custom ones not manufactured ones I all most dislike them as much as apple computers. The hardware you can put in a pc doesn't cost as much in in a mac and macs usually cuts back on the gpu and they will sell you a cpu but not say if its a laptop version or a odd cut down one which is why I hate apple.  

I love Macs, they are faster, they have a better picture, better sound, can load things faster and are more save from viruses. I think. Because every Windows i got, got one..or just doesnt work right anymore.

But again, the apple might be bettter but then again is of course much more expensive. And many programs dont work with it, which is stupid  :okiedokielokie:

But i mean, its not the Macs fault that many game and program developers are only producing content for normal Pcs.

So, Mac is still better, i love my mac  :love:

But gladly i have both anyway  B)

• Brohoof 1

I love Macs, they are faster, they have a better picture, better sound, can load things faster and are more save from viruses. I think. Because every Windows i got, got one..or just doesnt work right anymore.

But again, the apple might be bettter but then again is of course much more expensive. And many programs dont work with it, which is stupid  :okiedokielokie:

But i mean, its not the Macs fault that many game and program developers are only producing content for normal Pcs.

So, Mac is still better, i love my mac  :love:

But gladly i have both anyway  B)

That depends on what mac you buy and what screen and junk you get with you"re pc and whats in it and for the most part macs are made with cut down versions of things with out going into way over priced range.

Well, technically, Macs are PCs. Considering PCs are Personal Computers, and Mac is well.. a personal computer.

But besides for that, I tend to like PCs better. Macs do have some features that I like, but they're rather overpriced, especially considering the specs aren't exactly the best. Plus, PCs tend to have better performance, plus they can run more games I have on Steam, unless it's a Linux PC for the latter (although you can still use Wine or something for most Windows applications/games)

Edited by Angry Cartoon Nerd
  • Brohoof 2

For the most part pc is better hardware wise, its a question of the os and which is objectively better which can be a tricky thing.

Edited by flutersparkle

I personally prefer macs, after having Windows PC's for years and years, I decided to get a macbook for university (due to an offer and student discount, it wasn't much more expensive than an equivalent PC laptop) and haven't looked back since. I find OS X a much smoother OS (granted I have't tried Windows 10 yet) and, although their specs may not be up to par compared to an equivalently priced PC, due to their tight software and hardware integration that Apple has, they actually do perform very well. My little macbook was able to run office, start up and generally get through daily use faster than a PC that was 4 years newer than it (with better specs).

However, one thing that Windows machines do have is customisation - it would be nice to be able to just upgrade the processor (as an example) on my iMac without having to buy a whole new machine, and there is no contest between software availability on Windows compared to Mac. So I cannot fault anyone who decides that Windows is more for them, I just feel that for what I use it for, the premium that I have to pay is worth it.

I'm more into PC because I need it to be able to handle video games. And we all know Mac cannot do that.

(Also my dad works for Microsoft so even if I did like Mac I would still use PC)

• Brohoof 2

I'm more of a Mac fan.  As a creative,  I find it more flexible and easier to use and a lot better at multitasking than a PC.  I think PC's are okay, but every PC I've ever owned or used ended up burning out and slowing way down, and I've had from a cheap laptop running Vista to a giant desktop running Windows 7 with 1 TB hard drive and 8 GB of RAM and these other extreme specs.  

I've had my MacBook Pro for 3 years and it's still running like I just got it yesterday.

• Brohoof 2

PCs all the way. They handle software better, better processing power, and if a small part of it breaks or just needs an upgrade, you can sort it out yourself for significantly less then a mac. With a mac, its one set piece. You can't take it apart and swap parts out. If you want to upgrade a part, it's off to the Apple store so spend a load of money for a whole new set up.

There are more programs and games for PC that run better on PC..
Yea Apple looks 'sleek' and 'modern' but is it really worth the price tag? With the right case and monitors, you can get something just as sexy with a better price tag.

As a games design student, I want a set up that's not going to lag out or crash when I open up 3D software to do my work.

PCs all the way. Now and forever.

Edited by Pixie Doodle
  • Brohoof 3

As someone who has had to use Macs extensively: I can see their appeal to the average user and even the correct power users. It's mostly those who play games that macs are not great for. However these days I will admit that OSX for a while has been more "advanced" than Windows in that it has captured some features better than Windows has and some features that took too long for Windows to get right.

However because what I personally do is so ingrained in a need for Windows, I will never make a full switch. At best I would use both platforms.

I like PCs because they're pretty much just hardware. You can put whatever OS you want on it, be it windows, linux, chrome OS, android or hell, even OS X itself. A mac is much more than just a PC, it's both tailored hardware and software whereas PCs typically come with windows for shopper convenience and simplicity. For myself, I can't justify buying one because I don't purchase Apple products and there aren't any benefits for me using OS X over pretty much any distribution of Linux or free BSD derivative.

I use both actively for both school and leisure.

I use PC (Windows) for my leisure activities as it has the most compatibility with software and games. I personally find that PC shines in the fact that most games are compatible there. PCs are usually bulky and hard for me to carry around.

I use Mac mainly for school work. I am studying Visual Communication and so I am doing graphical design work. The higher level of graphics and also support for retina is quite useful for me and it is also easier to carry than PCs due to the sleek design. I also find the Mac's trackpad more user friendly than PCs. But of course, there are a lot of drawbacks due to not many software are compatible with Mac but luckily mine could switch between Windows and Mac operating system.

I am more into PCs. All my life I used them and they handle my gaming habits and other programs better than a Mac could. I remember my cousin gave me a Mac once. I was like five and I told him to get rid of it because I hated it.

Windows guy here. As a gamer, it's the only logical choice. And I do like that I've had complete control over what has gone into two builds that I've done. I can see why Macs are so beloved, but it's just not for me. Long live PC!

• Brohoof 1