Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How can you use MLP boards but not call yourself brony?

SolyWack

Second of all, I disagree. To use that very example, defining something by function rather than form; a brony by any other name would still enjoy Friendship is Magic. So no matter if someone identifies with the title or not (which I wear like a badge of honor), I am a brony, they watch the show like me, they use these forums like me, they talk and think about it like me.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck . . .

But if one feels so inclined, one could use any of a whole slew of synonyms; mallard, drake, water-fowl, or even simply bird. Inversely, there are hundreds of breeds of dogs, each very different, yet they all go under a single name, canis lupus familiaris, the 'dog'.

I'm not disagreeing with you, per se, I just don't think that the definintion of 'brony' lies with functional versus formal nomenclature. Something with a pragmatic defininion can be definitevly incorect, as it's name actually implies the definintion. Take the process of electrolysis, for example; you put an cathode and an anode into an electrolyte solution, and hydrogen and oxygen are generated. Now, you could stick to pieces of metal that may or may not be charged into a liquid that may or may not even be water, and still have hydrogen and oxygen be produced, but without actual analysis, you can't call it electrolysis just because the results are functionally identical.

I think that 'brony' is defined by majority consesus, like most common words. It's all right if you don't want to be called a brony, but expect others to label you that if you tell them you like MLP.

• Brohoof 1

But if one feels so inclined, one could use any of a whole slew of synonyms; mallard, drake, water-fowl, or even simply bird. Inversely, there are hundreds of breeds of dogs, each very different, yet they all go under a single name, canis lupus familiaris, the 'dog'.

I'm not disagreeing with you, per se, I just don't think that the definintion of 'brony' lies with functional versus formal nomenclature. Something with a pragmatic defininion can be definitevly incorect, as it's name actually implies the definintion. Take the process of electrolysis, for example; you put an cathode and an anode into an electrolyte solution, and hydrogen and oxygen are generated. Now, you could stick to pieces of metal that may or may not be charged into a liquid that may or may not even be water, and still have hydrogen and oxygen be produced, but without actual analysis, you can't call it electrolysis just because the results are functionally identical.

I think that 'brony' is defined by majority consesus, like most common words. It's all right if you don't want to be called a brony, but expect others to label you that if you tell them you like MLP.

Fair enough rebuttal.

Personally, I don't see why anyone wouldn't choose to call themselves it if they watch the show. That is NOT an invitation to give me a slew of reasons anypony!

I mean I watch Star Trek so I suppose one could call me a Trekkie even if it's not something I put that large amount of thought into, but I'm not going to tell someone they're wrong if they call me it. If it's for negative associations with the term . . . screw them! Or more constructively, simply don't act that stereotype, act as yourself, it takes no effort at all. SHOW people bronies are not whatever troglodyte they fabricated that has as little connection to reality as Wonderland!

We are not slaves to fashion, we are people with our own tastes and hobbies. If people have a problem with that, it's exactly that, their problem!

"It is better to be wrong in one's own way, than to be right in another's."

~Fyodor Dostoevsky

• Brohoof 1

I partially agree with you. the "brony" title is obviously given to any fan of MLP, but some people just don't like to be called it.

I agree with them to. Here's why:

There are fans of other shows, like spongebob. Those fans don't call themselves "undersea creatures" or anything? Nope. Maybe some of us just want to be SIMPLY fans of the show. and that's all.

• Brohoof 1

Fair enough rebuttal.

Personally, I don't see why anyone wouldn't choose to call themselves it if they watch the show. That is NOT an invitation to give me a slew of reasons anypony!

I mean I watch Star Trek so I suppose one could call me a Trekkie even if it's not something I put that large amount of thought into, but I'm not going to tell someone they're wrong if they call me it. If it's for negative associations with the term . . . screw them! Or more constructively, simply don't act that stereotype, act as yourself, it takes no effort at all. SHOW people bronies are not whatever troglodyte they fabricated that has as little connection to reality as Wonderland!

We are not slaves to fashion, we are people with our own tastes and hobbies. If people have a problem with that, it's exactly that, their problem!

"It is better to be wrong in one's own way, than to be right in another's."

~Fyodor Dostoevsky

I believe you and me are one in the same on this topic.

I can absolutely see why people wouldn't to tell everybody they meet that they're a Brony, but why is it even worth correcting them?

Especially if it's because you feel you will get picked on if you use it. We don't need to adopt society's norms when our own suit us just fine.

• Brohoof 1

Oh, I could go so many directions with this, because it's wrong in soooo many ways!

Well, first thing's first: When I joined these forums, I was into joining a lot of forums. I joined forums for franchises I didn't even care for (not to cause trouble, I know I like drama and everything, but I'm not like that... instead I just didn't have a life...still don't xD). My Little Pony was not a big thing for me.

...And when My Little Pony did become a big interest for me, it was only because I got into the earlier generations and collecting toys (G3, mainly). Putting me much more toward the adult collecting fandom.

Plus, this 'fandom' was entirely different back when I joined this forum. Members of this forum have become so much more extreme with the labels. Back when I joined this forum, I was always clear about not being a 'Brony', and no one really cared. 'Brony' was a thing, but it wasn't plastered everywhere, it was just a fandom title for fun. This was (and still is for the record) My Little Pony Forums NOT Brony Forums.

When did this forum become so extreme with this label? I don't even know. But it needs to stop. Fandom titles are NOT to be branded on individuals because they fit some criteria that was made up. No individual even agrees on this criteria. It does not exist. The fandom label is made up out of thin air. It was for fun. If someone doesn't want to refer to themselves as a Brony for ANY reason, let it go. It doesn't matter. It is nothing to you.

Besides, get this... My Little Pony is not owned by the Brony fandom. One being a MLP fan can not equate to them being a Brony. The Brony fandom is NEW to the franchise, and is separate from a longstanding adult MLP fandom. Please quit pretending as if the 'Brony' label is the automatic label to be applied to a MLP fan in any way, shape, or form.

Lastly, I automatically refuse the label of "Brony", because it is masculine by default. I do not accept masculine terms as gender-neutral.

• Brohoof 4

It's because labelling yourself based on a piece of media you watch is pointless because it doesn't truly tell the kind of person you are, it just states your interests. I'll wear a Bioshock shirt because I love Bioshock but you don't see me calling myself a "Big Sister" or anything like that. Names like "Brony" have no meaning, no purpose, it's just a horrible amalgamation of the Bro and Pony. You accomplish the same thing if you say "I'm a fan of the show" in casual conversation and then explain why.

• Brohoof 1

As Gestum said, it's a stupid word. It just sounds cringy, and with the connotations surrounding it, it is cringy. I don't like being called a brony because I don't want to be generalised as a socially-awkward neckbeard who lives in their Mum's basement, which is what a lot of the internet sees bronies as.

It's called MLPForums, not Brony Forums, so it's rather easy. Not to mention using a board to discuss interests doesn't really make you "more than a fan". It's the same as talking about things you like among friends.

Edited by Guest

Well, I think it just comes down to preference. Some people don't like the term "brony" so they don't call themselves that.

Also, a lot of people here don't watch the show anymore, but they stayed because it is such a great community here.

I know the brony title is optional and all, but personally, I can't call myself a "fan of the show" when somebody will simply go "oh so you're a brony?". Because further debating on the matter will just make me a big damn hypocrite.

I love the show and indulge in fandom activities, I'm not sure what makes me qualify for the label, but that just makes me a brony whether I like it or not, I guess.

When did you get the right to decide what other people should call themselves?

Call yourself whatever you want, but thats the definition of a brony. And people are gonna call you a brony if you like mlp. 

Edited by DANUTERCISD

Call yourself whatever you want, but thats the definition of a brony. And people are gonna call you a brony if you like mlp. 

Yeah, but this discussion is not about what other people are going to call you, it's about what you're going to call yourself.

Some people dont like labels or want to be part of the fandom for the bad reputation some incidents have given the fandom

i respect all people no matter what if they choose to identify and wear a label to those who just simply interact and be happy without being called a brony

Well some people don't like being called a brony due to some of the negative vibes :( or what other people may think or act towards them.

In my opinion I love being a brony and wouldn't mind letting my friends know. :D

For those who browse the forums and reply stating the show offends them, they are likely trolls who made an account just to see our reaction. In fact, I have seen a troll on these forums who legit converted to a brony after he gave a shot at it. :)

It's a title I have a choice of taking, and I choose not to. Yes, it's a choice. I have a legitimate traumatic reason for not taking the title which I explain on my profile.

Brony = Pony Fan. Exactly the same.

I just choose the later instead of the former to not bring up my trauma in my own head.

Labels are labels, and some people like to use them while others don't. :P

Some people may be afraid to be associated with the negative stereotype of bronies. Some may not like how it sounds. Some may think having a title is just plain unnecessary. There are plenty of reasons to use it and plenty of reasons not to. It just depends on what you like. :)

The term brony holds a lot more than just a fan of MLP. It's a title that explains a group of individuals on a quest towards a social revolution against gender norms based on a cartoon for little girls.

Some people might like the cartoon but don't care much for the revolution.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 1

The problem with the "Brony" title is that it means different things to different people. Some people have never even heard of it period. Also people in the MLP fandom have different reasons for being here. If you like to use the label of Brony, do what you like- it doesn't bother me.

"A fan of the show" is just a more narrow and precise description in my case. I like good 2D animation in general. I like cartoons that aren't too stupid/obnoxious and animated WELL.

I found the show not even knowing there even was a fandom.  I found out that Tara Strong was in it and just wanted to watch it to laugh at it's crappiness since I've seen parts of an older version as a kid. ^_^  Anyways, it was better than I was expecting, but didn't catch my interest to watch more than the first 2 episodes. The fan animations and parodies are why I ended up continuing on a couple weeks later and actually liking it after seeing a few more episodes.

So overall I like MLP quite a bit along with A LOT of other things too. In my case it's just really not a key definitive aspect of my life that would warrant a special title.

As for using the boards here- Most people are pretty chill and you can talk about pretty much anything without having to deal with the inevitable thinking-impaired spazzes. ;)

Edited by Cirrus.

Because i hate the term..it just sounds weird to me. Anyways it all falls into fandom..no matter what level of commitment someone is with the franchise

As for myself, i just love the show and only have a pinkie pie pez dispenser as merchandise..

Because its gender specific and doesn't pertain to all fans of the franchise. If people don't wanna be called that, let it be. I don't call myself that, would be annoyed if someone did call me that or pegasister. I'm merely a fan of the franchise.

Edited by Leave a Whisper