Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How can you use MLP boards but not call yourself brony?

SolyWack

Forgive me if I come off as hostile (seriously), but I've seen a noticeable percentage of people claim they are only a "fan of the show", and not a "Brony". Some (very few however) even go so far as to say it offends them.

So I just would like to know the rational behind this. If you are using a forum meant to discuss My Little Pony, then you are already more than just a fan. You go out of your way to obtain more content, and to surround yourself with people who are members of the community.

I always figured "Brony" wasn't an optional title you could slap on your sash, but more of an elucidation of status, no different from something like Trekkie (sp?). Where if you liked the show enough, you were called one to let people know you liked it more than casual viewings of new episodes.

And even beside literal definitions, why do people not like being called a Brony? It's no different from being called male or heterosexual. It's just your natural penchant. "Brony" isn't even as predominate as my examples. It's literally just a show you like enough to seek more. Why is it even worth correcting people?

• Brohoof 5

If you like the show, you can call yourself a brony. There's no checklist or entrance exam to the community. You just have to remember what "brony" means (and I know there's a story about 4chan, but most people agree that brony is "bro + pony"). As long as you like ponies, you can call yourself a brony.

Similarly, if you're an active fan of the community, but you don't want to call yourself a brony, that's totally fine. It's completely normal for people to avoid the negative connotation that comes with the term. As long as you don't get offended, or purposely offend others, there's no reason to have this discussion.

It's a label, nothing more.

To quote Shakespeare: What's in a name? You can change the name of a rose, but you can't do anything about the smell.

...Or something like that...

Edited by Meson Bolt
  • Brohoof 2

I certainly treat the title of brony like a badge of pride so to speak. I also just enjoy the fact that the fandom has a nickname for it's members. But whether people want to use said title or not is really up to them. I believe that these people are just as much of a fan of the show but would just rather forgo the title. That's just my 2 cents on the matter.

Edited by Rarity Is Best Pony
  • Brohoof 2

"How can you use MLP boards but not call yourself brony?"

Because I don't want to. Not everyone needs to call themselves a brony for liking the show. They don't use it for many reasons, maybe they don't like the word due to the (unfair)negative connotations and stereotypes it comes with, Maybe they find it too masculine for them(I do know some female fans don't use it for that reason), maybe to them it just sounds dumb, maybe they just don't want to. Whatever the reasons, in the end of the day it's just a label that not everyone wants to use

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 9

I don't visit this site for any of the MLP-related stuff. I come here for pretty much anything else.

MLP is just another cartoon I watch. It is in no way central to my life.

MLPForums is just another forum (one of three) I go to regularly and I don't use it for its original purpose.

I don't create any sort of MLP fan content, nor do I care about most of what's out there.

I'd hesitate to call myself a brony in any way and my use of MLPForums isn't indicative of any loyalty to the fanbase or the show.

• Brohoof 3

I don't hold any attachment to the title brony, nor do I have any need to use it. If others call me this I roll with it because I am one, but I'm not the first one to initiate the use in conversation.

Pretty apathetic about the whole thing really.

• Brohoof 1

To quote Shakespeare: What's in a name? You can change the name of a rose, but you can't do anything about the smell.   ...Or something like that...

Subtracted points for Bard butchering.

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes"
~Romeo and Juliet

Second of all, I disagree. To use that very example, defining something by function rather than form; a brony by any other name would still enjoy Friendship is Magic. So no matter if someone identifies with the title or not (which I wear like a badge of honor), I am a brony, they watch the show like me, they use these forums like me, they talk and think about it like me.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck . . .

Brony sounds like brownies but it's not. That's dissapointing. I prefer just mlp fan or pegasister.

Female equivalent. The difference between "baron" and "baroness" or "king" and "queen." And yes, the use of specifically powerful male and female titles is intentional on my part to express my love of this fandom and where it sits in my opinion.

I certainly treat the title of brony like a badge of pride so to speak. I also just enjoy the fact that the fandom has a nickname for it's members. But whether people want to use said title or not is really up to them. I believe that these people are just as much of a fan of the show but would just rather forgo the title. That's just my 2 cents on the matter.

Oh thank Celestia, I was beginning to think I was the only one with such an opinion left from reading these posts!

• Brohoof 3

I don't have a problem with the word myself, but I could understand if someone just hated the word itself and preferred not to use it. The word "brony" has a lot of negative connotations too, so some people might be trying to avoid the stereotypes. Also, not everyone cares about "fan art" or bumper stickers.

I'm okay with holding the label myself, but I get why someone wouldn't. You can't just slap labels on people and try to fit them into boxes based on those labels. This site has a very diverse userbase, and although it's safe to say nearly everyone signed up for similar reasons, it all branches out from there. A lot of people stopped watching entirely after X season, and just stick around for the community.

Others, like myself, just watch episodes when they come out and shoot the shit with other fans. Not everyone is here for the music and analysis and fan theories and in-depth discussion, and not everyone believes that the 5-letter word necessarily applies to them.

Because it's a terrible pun.

Have a brohoof, you cheeky bastard.

• Brohoof 1

I am not a brony because I am not a BRO. I am a LADY. Simple as that. I'd rather be called just "pony".

Though, I also dislike the assumptions that come off when the term is used. Not saying they're true, but I don't want people assuming anything about me. When you hear brony, you think, "male, probably in his 20s". Other people think, "Obese slob who lives in his parent's basement."
I do not want people thinking either of those things. 

I'm slightly offended by the post, and i'm not offended easily. I'm 10000% sure I like the show more than most people on this site, INCLUDING you, and being called a brony or not has NOTHING to do with it.

My apologies for getting heated but MLP is literally my life and my feelings are hurt.

• Brohoof 1

Well at the end of the day, brony is just a label or a nickname, but no one has to abide by it just because they like MLP. I just choose not to label myself as such. I just like to call myself a fan, that's all.

I joined the forums because I thought it would be nice to chat here with fellow fans and also because I just wanted an active forum to post in due to boredom. Infact, I spend more time on this forum posting in anything that's non-pony related than anything.

Its an optional title.  Going on a wiki about a TV show doesn't automatically make you a fan of said show.

I've seen people here that don't watch the show but just find it fun to talk with people who do. Most here are usuallly nicer than folks at other forums so I could understand why a non-brony or someone who isn't a fan would lurk here.

I suppose the definition of the term is rather subjective, and some do not consider themselves sufficiently enthusiastic of the show to merit adopting the term. Of course, others have different reasons for eschewing the title. I tend to categorize bronies/show watchers into two categories: the mere fans and the lifestylers. The fans like the show, maybe are obsessed with it, but otherwise don't care about the ideals or community much. The lifestylers are more passionate about the moral and philosophical aspects and want to find others like them, and those are more likely to call themselves bronies (and those are who I gravitate towards).

I would consider myself a lifestyler brony with a moderate interest in the show itself (I haven't even watched all of Season 5, probably not even the one before that). I called myself a brony since coming here in February during the great social campaign I waged (after the great housing campaign is completed I will do another social one). That being said, my primary identity is furry and my secondary one is brony.

you dont have to call yourself a brony to be a fan of the show, the brony titel in my eye's is more a way to say screw you to society and gender rolls. To the girls who rather be called pegasisters I have to say this. Do we really need seperate titles for genders these days? it's 2016 brony has nothing to do with only guys, everyone can be a brony. It's mass media that sticks this gender stereotype to it and plz don't follow the logic of that media.

I don't like using the term to refer to myself personally because of how cringey it sounds to me, nor I am I particularly proud of the fact that I enjoy the show-I don't broadcast the fact publicly, because I am well aware of the public perception of fans.

There is also a stigma that comes with the title for others that are associated with the term like being seen as autistic (which is actually true, in my case) in addition to the other negative preconceived notions others have about the community due to the actions of some other sections of the fandom or .

So, people who publicly label themselves 'Bronies' also risk open themselves up to receive a lot of hatred upon identifying themselves as such and there are those of us who recognize and are wary of that fact, especially since tumblr bloggers have largely pushed the 'all Bronies are perverts, misogynists, rabid, neckbeards, etc.' mentality, it really hasn't helped the improve the stigma any-so more people are shying away from it because of how damning those accusations are to one's reputation and the damaging social effects that come with that-so, the label itself has come to sound like an accusation to some when asked if they are a Brony.

That is why some people just calls themselves fans-or if they are female and outside of the target demographic, they will either label themselves that or 'Pegasister' because they don't like being given a male label.

And others come with the mentality of 'Why the need for a label at all?'

• Brohoof 1

Some people don't like to use the word because it carries a lot of negative stereotypes. Aside from that, it's just a label people made for themselves, and it should be everyone's own choice whether or not they use that label. I suppose a lot of people we call Trekkies wouldn't like to be labeled as such either, even if it's only because they prefer the word Trekker. Until the word brony is entered into an actual dictionary (so not Urban Dictionary) it has no official definition, so people who don't want to be associated with it (and its stereotypes) shouldn't have to be.

• Brohoof 1

you dont have to call yourself a brony to be a fan of the show, the brony titel in my eye's is more a way to say screw you to society and gender rolls. To the girls who rather be called pegasisters I have to say this. Do we really need seperate titles for genders these days? it's 2016 brony has nothing to do with only guys, everyone can be a brony. It's mass media that sticks this gender stereotype to it and plz don't follow the logic of that media.

As @@Snake said, not everyone wants to be considered a "bro". You don't have to be male to be a bro but many still consider it gender-specific. It's not wrong for there to be separate gender roles. It's really only wrong when said roles are forced on people.

Let a lady be a lady and let her be recognized as such.

• Brohoof 1

i don't call myself a brony because I don't really like to label myself like that, I don't like the word and when you use it outside of the fandom people just look at you like you have two heads, i like the show, i don't need to label myself as a fan with a special word

• Brohoof 1