Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What's your opinion on Furries?

Rivulet

Let me say, first off, that I, myself, am a furry.

Thus, I have no issues with furries. 

I feel that the furry fandom as well as the brony fandom suffer from one of the most undeserved stereotypes; that all individuals of these fandoms are a sort of sexual deviant. 

Even though I am personally not interested in the sexual side of the fandom, I don't bash those who are or think less of them.

• Brohoof 1

I have never met a furry but just like anything else I dont see the harm in this, if you are a furry thats fine it doesn't change what kind of person you are. If you treat me with respect thatn I couldn't ccare less (unless of course you are doing bad things but that is normal). the hate I have seen going that way is still something I find weird, if someone wants to dress up as a giant dog then let them, who are you to judge. Meeting one in real life would be awesome though, would love to hug one even though I would most likely be to scared to hug in the first place.

I've been a furry before FiM even started and I can say that the furry community is made up of normal everyday people.. just like Trekkies or Star Wars fans or sports fans. Yes, there are a few crazies, just like in any fandom, and they tend to be the loudest and most off-putting to people who aren't familiar with the fandom. This is what causes bad word-of-mouth about an otherwise harmless and friendly group of people.

I am a former Furry, but I left the Furry Fandom last year because I lost the interest. I like furry Art, but that's all. I know a few furries, but all my friends are bronies. And yes, I became a MLP Fan over the Furry fandom. I have nothing against furries (I am also still active on FurAffinty), but I don't feel as a part of them anymore. 

As someone who is a furry, I don't have a problem with them. Even though I'm not that active in the furry fandom, my activity is just going on the furry subreddit, but the furries I have talked to tend to be pretty nice. Something that I've noticed is that a lot of the common brony stereotypes are also furry stereotypes.

34 replies and not a bit of flak, what is this, a Eutopia?

Anyhows, dae okay, I mean I'm likely one myself, God knows. I like the art most of all, and some of the fur suits actually look great, if the artist can pull it off right, I've seen some fur suits that disgust me tho :P

so, dae good peeps, for the most part

They're starting to irritate me lately. They keep craming their crap down everyone's throat, and when confronted they keep using the same crap to justify it.

"oh, we raise bazzilions of monies for charities!!!!"

Yeah, well so do corrupted CEOs and assclown politicians, but that doesn't make them great people.

• Brohoof 3

I have become very interested in furry art and the fandom. I kind of want to join the fandom, but I'm not good at art.

Like other fandoms, there is drama, but I think the overall fandom is not that bad.

If that's what they are into, then that's cool. I don't judge people based on their interests. It's no stranger than a fully grown man watching MLP (I'm a fully grown man who watches MLP, if you didn't figure that out).

I have never really had any problems with them. They are a fandom like every other fandom, they have some good eggs and bad eggs. But, as a whole, they're just a regular fandom like us, and every other fandom out there. I say, do what makes you happy. As long as it's not hurting yourself or others, I say do what you want, and be happy. The people who truly love/like you might not like it, but, they'll accept it.

I have never really had any problems with them. They are a fandom like every other fandom, they have some good eggs and bad eggs. But, as a whole, they're just a regular fandom like us, and every other fandom out there. I say, do what makes you happy. As long as it's not hurting yourself or others, I say do what you want, and be happy. The people who truly love/like you might not like it, but, they'll accept it.

(edited)

I don't have a problem with Furries per se. However, I really do not appreciate the subculture of sexualizing animals and this is quite pervasive within the Furry fandom. Saying that I don't appreciate it would be an understatement. But beyond that, I find them to be an intriguing bunch :)

Edited by Jaxsie
  • Brohoof 1

To say all furries are innocent or naive would be lying. Every fandom had a group of people in it who make it look weird to outside observers.

I have a few furry friends, some of which are genuinely fine people. The rest are a bit, shall we say, eccentric?

I like how the topic asks your opinion on furries but constantly dismisses every negative opinion as "stereotypes" and "inaccurate" and insists that it's just people hating furries for no reason as if there is no legitimate reason to dislike them and there is 100% no truth to any of the common negative opinions on furries. Why make a topic asking for opinions when you really only clearly wan to hear positive ones?

There are plenty of legitimate issues with the furry fandom and I'll leave it at that before someone says "that's every fandom" like that's some kind of excuse.

Some furries are scary.....to me. I have only one real IRL experience. I'll explain.

#1 I know nothing about the fandom, so I'm a bit ignorant. I mean fursuiters...is that separate?

#2 At ponycon, I saw a few fursuiters. I was impressed with the detail. One I even got a picture with. Now I was scared only by a couple: the ones who never took the masks off and stood there looking at the crowd with their souless eyes.... I have a fear of that I suppose...who are you, really? probably because the creepy knock off Disney characters asking for money in Times Square freak me out with the same feeling. I feel the same about clowns...except Ringling Bros. Clowns...which leads to

#3 The exception that proves the rule: I get so excited by the costumed characters at Disney World. I interact, I talk, I give many hugs and high fives. I'm like a 5 year old. Is it because of Disney magic? Is it because they aren't unsolicited? Paid characters and not...fans? I don't know.

• Brohoof 2

I'm also a furry.  I'd be lying if I said we were all perfect and happy, without any prejudices.  We are people too, there's going to be jerks and elitists just like there is in any other fandom or lifestyle(like goths and whatnot) or any type of group, really.  There's also those that are going to be interested in yiff stuff and some other "weird" stuff but I figure as long as they aren't hurting anyone with their preference, it should be fine.  I can sort of see where the hate is coming from since some furries can be insufferable, that's just what I get from some people within the furry community.  However, there are good people as well.  I think some people tend to just point out the bad stuff in the furry community without really considering(or knowing) the good that the community does as well.

• Brohoof 1