Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S07:E14 - Fame and Misfortune

PinkiePie97

Share your thoughts!  

173 users have voted

1. 1. Share your thoughts!

• "Are you kidding me?! This episode should've stayed dead and buried like Twilicorn!" (Hate it!)
    • "Typical. Just like the Mane 6's characters, they've slipped backwards again." (Dislike it)
    • "Meh. I'd put it onto the 'maybe' pile of good ideas. (So-so)
    • "There are things we like, and there are things we dislike, but I certainly liked this episode! :D" (Like)
    • "I love the Mane 6, and I love this episode!! <3" (Love!)
    • ...Wait, where the heck was Spike?! :V (???)

Whoo!  MLP has finally returned, and with a great episode!  Man, season 7 has so far been head and shoulders above the previous season.  I admit I'm not the harshest critic and think even season 6 has some great and even downright excellent moments, but they're fewer and further in between than what we've come to expect from this show.  Season 7 on the other hand, has been almost consistently great.  We've had a few duds this season too, but episodes like Fame and Misfortune remind me why I like this show and will continue to be a part of this fandom, and yes, sometimes the fandom needs to be addressed and knocked down a few pegs, but we're not flawless, we're works in progress.

• Brohoof 4

2 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

But she's wearing a mask, how could you recognise her? :D

I used to follow a fan critic or two way back in mid S3. But after their overly negative points and over analysis, left them and never bothered in seeking more.

• Brohoof 2

37 minutes ago, Jeric said:

What in God's name are you talking about? Usually when someone says anything negative about that character I usually respond in a joking manner -- most often with a gif reaction. I don't waste time in a true admonishing diatribe on someone's personal tastes.  

Also, there was only one person here who ever earned and received my animosity and I certainly didn't hide it, and it certainly wasn't ever you. And I never said I was neutral. I do disagree with people and will say I disagree when I do, I just don't like to be a prick about it. That isn't me. Sarcastic, sure? Usually I meet the other person with a modicum of respect, or at least retort with a lower amount of sodium than they do. 

You engaged me assuming a meaning and intent I did not say. That's why I replied. Some fans definitely do not like to listen to the other side. Some fans do worship their characters and get bent out of shape when someone mentions a flaw. Some seem to base their entire Brony identity on a dislike of a character. When an episode shows the flaws of both of these approaches, and I anticipate that some aren't going to like it, I'm not calling out haters. I certainly don't sic people on other people. I'm quite capable of elucidating on my own. 

But hey, I'm probably being too rational. 

I see. So this is how you perceive yourself. This should have been done sooner. You're not being too rational. You're just being too vague. Unless you think being vague is the rational thing to do. But then this happens.

Character zealots are a problem but they are manageable. There is a far more pernicious threat to our harmony lurking beneath the mask of civility: people who hate those who hate anything FIM-related. People who do not understand how critique on the internet manifests itself and shall thus mark it all as irrational nonsense. Many IPs have fallen due to this mentality. Rabid fanboys have no place in moderation, official or otherwise.

P.S: Five-Legged Shrew is coming and there shall be an epic clash between fanboys and haters. You have been warned :P

5 hours ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

Okay, I especially love how meta this gets! 

Let me sum up how each of the Mane 5 were treated:

Rarity was being hated for (in the eyes of haters,) never learning anything.

Pinkie fans think everything she does is worth laughing about when there's more to her than just smiles and laughter

Rainbow Dash can't even do her job even when she tries to get her fans to appreciate Twilight's lessons for one

Fluttershy is criticized for apparently learning the same lesson over and over

Applejack is so popular, that every Brony pony wanted to be part of the Apple Family

Apparently, Twilight was loved before she had wings!

I especially love the song too! Even if it didn't changed the Critical Bronies townponies' minds

I'm going to have to re-watch the episode to make sure my post, but I'll need to wait for a better video.

EDIT: Forgot Applejack!

Flutters is criticized for the same crap STARLIGHT's pulling? How come SHE doesn't get that? Starlight's problem is that she keep's making the same mistake of panicking and acting on gut instinct instead of stoping to thing! Why has no pony called her out on it?

7 minutes ago, MovieLord101 said:

Flutters is criticized for the same crap STARLIGHT's pulling? How come SHE doesn't get that? Starlight's problem is that she keep's making the same mistake of panicking and acting on gut instinct instead of stoping to thing! Why has no pony called her out on it?

Starlight wasn't called out because she wasn't involved in the Journal, as it was a Season 4 device. Throughout the first half of the series the main complaint some had with Fluttershy was that she isn't appearing to grow as a character, so the episode was addressing this specific criticism by having the character state that it just took time. 

• Brohoof 9

Great episode, it was overall funny and although I felt bad for some of the main characters, they were all amazing.

I liked Starlight's support during all the episode and the manifesto joke was awesome! She's still ashamed, but is already confident enough to point it out with her friends.

CMC capitalizing their popularity without being jerks were spot on!

Mane 6 proving why they are the gems of the show, their reactions to stalkers and critics are simply amazing every one of them in their own unique way.

Easy 9/10 on my list.

S5 you've got a serious challenger for my favorite season and I really hope S7 may deliver in following weeks. 

• Brohoof 6

That was a fun episode, lots of cute/bonding moments. I actually laughed out loud during some of the scenes. The ending song was very well done and I liked how they kept the issue with all the 'fans' outside unresolved, as if to say that's one thing that won't go away anytime soon. 

It's interesting that, even though Twilight is a princess, she's not treated in the same way as the other princesses. I doubt anyone would dare to be so bold or disrespectful toward for example Celestia or Luna if they were there.

On the other hand, I understand Twilight prefers it this way as it makes it easier for her to talk to other ponies but the difference is noticeable.

Edited by JH24
  • Brohoof 2

The episode was a fairly good satire of the brony community (being as ridiculously argumentative and hostile as it can be), though I feel like there was only one bad thing about it: EVERYONE THAT WASN'T THE MANE 7. Seriously, EVERYONE ELSE acted like (dare I say it) complete assholes for the majority of the episode. I almost wanted to stop watching it because I couldn't stand it, even though I knew it was supposed to make fun of this fandom, and it was pretty good at times. Though they (particularly the Rarity haters) ALL frustrate me.

Overall 9/10 from me. Completely perfect aside from the ridiculous level of immaturity and hostility from most of the side characters.

Edited by Barik the Luigineer
  • Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

That's a good point. I guess I was a bit overwhelmed by the sheer negativity presented within the residents in the episode, which an amount of the fandom was the same way in 2013 which is a clever way of bringing relation to the episode, though I was feeling down because I was reminded of those bad times. 2013 was a bad year for me, the fandom being so distraught was part of the reason. I just need to not let something like that bother me because it was all part of a clear message and it is all in the past anyways.

My own emotions can't dictate the episode's quality, so you all made good points.

This was just great, I agree completely with you, emotions can't dictate quality, but you shouldn't also forget to enjoy an episode just because of your "quality evaluation" 

I was quite irritated by the subtext here at first, but taking a step back, I suppose I can see what they were going for, though I still think they handled it a little carelessly. For the most part, though, I just find this sort of humour exhausting, so even when I try not to take the episode too personally, I can't bring myself to like it much, and don't really wish to revisit it. 

After a little discussion on Twitter and reading some of the responses here, I tried to be fair to the episode in my review. It helped, but I still don't like it.

Additional thoughts:

I initially interpreted the ending as suggesting the writers disliked the adult fanbase and it was only the target demographic's reactions which gave them satisfaction, but there were also annoying kids in the episode, so I think I misjudged that. Still wish there was at least one adult pony who was respectful to the mane six, though.

I found Starlight rather aggressive here, and I didn't like that very much. Haven't really found her actively unpleasant before, but there you have it. Her reassuring Twilight might have assuaged that if I liked her more in the past, but once again I wasn't very fond of her. 

Edited by AlexanderThrond
  • Brohoof 2

On 2017-08-13 at 1:04 AM, Phirun Natela said:

Enjoyable episode, nothing special. The song was good though. The episode certainly has it's problems - like the other ponies being complete assholes for example - but it was nice. I am triggered though that they didn't acknowledge Spike in the whole episode even though I know for a fact he wrote in it once if not more times. And rubbing salt in the wound, Starlight is the most obvious Spike stand-in ever. She could've literally been replaced with him and it would have made more sense. The "looking out the window" quote for example, that's totally something Spike would say, not Starlight. A pony that most likely doesn't know Twilight like Spike does wouldn't really say that knowingly. Also with all the advice and confidence giving - being a general support character - makes it so clear Starlight was just forced in there for more screentime or something. Spike would've fit much better imo.

Certain times yes I would agree especially for that scene, but having him walk around with Twilight, wouldn't that have gotten him hounded too, since as we all know he did write lessons. Also I don't know how quick and easy he would have been able to track down Toola and Coconut without some teleportion magic.

• Brohoof 1

I enjoyed this one a lot! 

One thing I might have changed, however, to make it more applicable to bronies (or the common responses I've seen): what if everyone thought Applejack was boring instead of super popular? I guess this wouldn't bother AJ as much as popularity, but it would still fit better, IMO.

Loved the song. It's been awhile since we had a song for all the Mane Six, hasn't it?

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Jeric said:

The fans were representative of the Bronies who don't always see the forest for the trees. As far as them acting like asshats ...  you forget ... I used to see all the hidden posts in this place. ;)

This was perfect meta humor that will be uncomfortably on the nose for some. After all my years of basically saying the exact same thing this episode has said about the Mane Six and how they sound, I'll take my bias lap of having my philosophy in official canon. The hammer struck the nail pretty solidly.

Well played Pony Crew. 

Trust me -- the Take That, Audience! stuff didn't bother me at all (especially since FIM >>>>>>>>> Teen Titans Go! in that regard).

What did bother me was the mob being too similar to the Springfieldians in the Simpsons episode "The Boys Of Bummer."

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

I was honestly a little confused by this one. The song they sang at the end about how they're not perfect sorta felt a little...discontinuous from the beginning of the episode? I might have missed something, but I thought everyone was just arguing about whose stories they liked and didn't like/who's the best pony, not about how imperfect they are? I was hoping the lesson would be about how they missed the point of the friendship lessons, but the direction of the episode felt a little...off to me?

5 hours ago, Oleks said:

Even though Larson claims that he has little to do with the final outcome, this episode certainly feels like Larson. And I love it.

It was a lot of fun, featured many new and old background ponies and was built on two things I find very enjoyable about the show – continuity and mocking bronies (something they started doing relatively recently). Also, the song was good, and I especially liked that it didn’t change anything.

The only thing that bothered me is that the mane six’s fame was so SUDDEN. I mean almost everypony already knew them – they saved Equestria so many times and had been publicly acknowledged for that. But in this episode even the Ponyville residents seemed like seeing them for the first time.

All in all, I find the episode to be a solid example of good MLP stuff. I’m definitely rewatching it, probably more than once.

Hide contents

So, we have a new meme face now, ha?

1508811__safe_screencap_caramel_fame+and

I'm kind of hoping it becomes a meme.

• Brohoof 1

I'm just sorry this episode didn't get made sooner.

I still think that Twilight's ascension into royalty could have been handled better.  As presented, it felt like a cold bucket of hostile advertising.

I still think the "cowboys and Indians" motif in Over A Barrel was misapplied to its moral.

I still think that, in some ways, the original aspirations of the show have been watered down.

These are all debatable points,of course.  Do I like the show any less?  No.  Do I still watch it regularly?  Yes. 

Do I think most MLP reviewers are arrogant and boorish?  Definitely...

Don't ask me to defend any of this.  I'm not a fan...:orly:

*Started watching at 7:40 and Finished watching at 8:15 due to constant pausing and screaming at the screen and laughing*

First impression: WTF is THIS!? WTF DID I JUST WATCH?! This episode is so meta that it try to give a middle-finger to my FACE :blink: and i licked that finger in the most lewd way i could think of. :nom:

Twilight before Alicorn is bettter??? LARSONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.

THis episode should be named: EQUESTRIAN FRIENDSHIP PROPAGANDAS and where it gone wrong.

Cant... breathe... laughing.. so much... ... ...

Cant write anything smart right now... I need to calm down...

I like the ending, the few case where the troubles arent resolved in one shot, ponies still riot outside, the only 2 fillies who understand their friendship lesson and THAT'S ENOUGH FOR THEM, in the storm they find peace.

I like the episode. 

• Brohoof 1

This is mostly a nitpick, but I was a little bothered by the weird face Rarity made when she was despairing that everyone was cancelling her orders. I know weird faces help make the show visually interesting, but I wish the animators and storyboard artists would tone it down sometimes. Kinda ruins the whole cute aesthetic of the show when they conjure up something really ugly. 

Also, it's a little amusing that Rarity received such hostility, as lately I've come under the impression that she's fairly popular in the fandom. Then again, she does have one of the more outwardly flawed personalities of the six. 

Heh heh heh... I am so going to see if they made any jabs at reviewers besides Lily Peet. They could've had a griffon show up for Silver Quill or something. I can not wait for Lily Peet's reaction, once I edit out all the I HATE STARLIGHT stuff. Kinda wish that happened as well, actually. 

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, A.V. said:

I disliked it more than I liked it.

The Mane 7 were all great here.

Problem was, nearly everypony else was just a bunch of flankholes and Karma Houdinis (they weren't just disagreeing like unpleasable fans; they outright harassed and stalked their world-famous heroes (including the Princess Of Friendship -- i.e., freaking royalty) the whole time).

How is that a problem?

• Brohoof 2

9 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Also, it's a little amusing that Rarity received such hostility, as lately I've come under the impression that she's fairly popular in the fandom. Then again, she does have one of the more outwardly flawed personalities of the six. 

And that is exactly where this criticism is coming from. While people are seeing this as a direct parallel to the fandom today, it's not, in universe this is the fandom after Season 4 after the season of the friendship journal. These ponies are drawing their own conclusions of the main six by just reading about a part of their life not actually realizing their life has changed (Hence the criticism on Fluttershy and the jabs at Rarity who in my opinion didn't really shine really well until Season 5.) It's unknown if it was just Season 4 lessons or previous ones but this highlights the issue of formulating opinions on characters without getting their entire storyline. Literally here's what the townsponies were "Hey, new fans here's this show but I'm only going to show you episodes from Season 4 (or maybe earlier) now give your opinion on these characters, go!"

• Brohoof 6

45 minutes ago, Ragland Tiger said:

I'm just sorry this episode didn't get made sooner.

I still think that Twilight's ascension into royalty could have been handled better.  As presented, it felt like a cold bucket of hostile advertising.

I still think the "cowboys and Indians" motif in Over A Barrel was misapplied to its moral.

I still think that, in some ways, the original aspirations of the show have been watered down.

These are all debatable points,of course.  Do I like the show any less?  No.  Do I still watch it regularly?  Yes. 

Do I think most MLP reviewers are arrogant and boorish?  Definitely...

Don't ask me to defend any of this.  I'm not a fan...:orly:

I do feel like alot of content creators in the fandom are a bit shallow or narrow minded. But that's why I don't watch those videos for it to ruin it for me lol.

Personalities they admired? But that quote from Aizen, 'admiration is the emotion furthest from understanding.' To understand someone ask why are they making the videos. Why are they producing this content. If you understand their motivations they are humans, not heroes.

I do understand the EW MARY SUE mentality ppl get. They never heard of the theory of relativity lol.

But, reason 2 isn't even analysis related entirely, reason 3 is her personal problem, same with reason one.

Edited by SugarCoatxMarblePie