Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Unpopular TV series opinions

KatonRyu

Since there seems to be a thread for movies, games, and music, I figured one for regular TV series would be in order. (I searched for an existing one but didn't find it, feel free to delete this one if it does turn out to be duplicate).

My unpopular opinion is that Black Mirror is a vastly overrated and pretentious series with the subtlety of a sledgehammer. I honestly can't figure out if they're trying to be speculative, over the top, or something else. If they're trying to be funny, they fail because it takes itself too seriously.If they're trying to be speculative and subversive, they fail because they're far too pretentious.

• Brohoof 2

• Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is an utter atrocity. It's essentially a soap opera trying to be Star Trek. I'd rather watch Voyager than this garbage.
  • The Orville is actually a great Star Trek parody even if it has its falters and a bad episode or two...
  • I actually cannot understand what is even happening half of the time I'm watching Game of Thrones. Its pacing feels way too fast.
  • Law and Order: Criminal Intent is one of the best and most cerebral crime dramas ever made.
  • Shatner's Kirk was awful and absurdly generic, and deserves none of the praise it gets. Pine's from the new movies is WAY better.
  • Pre-Season 3 Captain Archer from Enterprise was actually probably one of the best captains in the franchise.
  • DC's Legends of Tomorrow had a great first season, but has been pretty much so bad its unwatchable since the Season 1 finale.
  • 2019's Twilight Zone remake is the best since the original series, without a doubt, and "A Traveler" even competes with the best of the original series.
Edited by Dustlicious2020
  • Brohoof 1

12 hours ago, AveryGamerDude said:

Does this include animated series? :confused:

I thought there actually was an animated series thread, but I can't find it anymore, so I guess it does?

I really could not stand Regular Show. People seemed to love it, but I literally could not watch it.

I didn’t like Adventure Time either, but at least I was able to actually watch a couple episodes before deciding that. But the SECOND the raccoon and blue jay opened their mouths, I was like, NOPE, and turned it off.

EDIT: Also never liked Billy and Mandy. I think the only thing I DID enjoy was that Brains musical number. THAT was funny.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 2

Just now, Sparklefan1234 said:

I have never understood the hype behind the original Powerpuff Girls.

Little girl superheroes that beat the literal bloody teeth out of villains was a VERY novel concept at the time.

• Brohoof 4

Not too many...

I've always thought Game of Thrones was inferior to the books and got worse the farther it got from the books. That damn well better not be the real ending.

Cobra Kai is good but overrated.

There are too many superhero shows nowadays.

And waaaaaaaaaay too many reboots, which most superhero show are anyway.

On 1/4/2020 at 2:53 PM, Dustlicious2020 said:
  • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is an utter atrocity. It's essentially a soap opera trying to be Star Trek. I'd rather watch Voyager than this garbage.
  • The Orville is actually a great Star Trek parody even if it has its falters and a bad episode or two...

Come on, DS9 is awesome!

The Orville is not a parody. It just takes most of it's inspiration from Star Trek.

Edited by Fluttershutter
  • Brohoof 1

• Star wars series is way better than the SW movies.(no i'm not hating the movies just saying.
  • JBA Stardust’s part 3 series is my least favorite. Lots of characters being very dull. (Part 4 and 5 > part 1and part 3.) Overall I think JBA is the best anime EVER and should be acknowledged. Even better than Dragon Ball anime’s. Which I don’t understand the hype towards it or why it’s still a thing. It’s boring.
  • speaking of JBA, I think Kira is by far aside for Pucci, a better villains than Dio and Diavolo. He’s more collective, calculative and have better villain development than between the two. 
  •  I never understand the modern cartoons hype like Adventure Time, Steven universe, etcs.
  • I think the Simpsons are still going strong and funny, despite of them deeming down the adults jokes.
  • South park is meant  to watch to pass your time and not to be praises just because they have the “balls” to insults.  :bea:
  • Jodie makes a GREAT doctor in the doctor who series and I think her series got me back to liking Doctor Who even more with new fresh ideas and plots. I still like the series before her’s, but it begin to feel like it’s beating dead horse. So I feel her’s is refreshing.

14 hours ago, TBD said:

JBA Stardust’s part 3 series is my least favorite. Lots of characters being very dull. (Part 4 and 5 > part 1and part 3.)

I'm glad to see someone else who agrees. Stardust Crusaders was a large change from Part 1 and 2. Part 1 and 2 were more free, whereas Stardust Crusaders became very formulaic with the monster of the week format. Part 4 and 5 remain somewhat formulaic (especially part 4 from my recalling) but I think it worked better in Part 4 (Kira's father aside, I hated him lol).

I wouldn’t call this an unpopular opinion but I have heard people disagree with it. South Park isn’t funny anymore. The ongoing joke of Tegrity Farms stopped being funny a long time ago and I don’t like needing to be up to date with current events to sometimes understand what is going on in the episode. The dialogue is just...dry now and the show lacks the charm it had before they decided to go with an overarching story. It has its funny moments but those are rare.

• Brohoof 1

One on animated series (no MLP related ones, though I have quite a few of those):

•  Kids Next Door really wasn't all that great. It was annoying and kind of dumb, especially in retrospect.
  •  All Grown Up wasn't that bad, honestly Dill saves it from that fate.
  •  The Loud House is just OK, nothing more and nothing less. I will say, on the negative end, Lincoln's voice is SO ANNOYING!
  •  I honestly always found Phineas and Ferb kind of annoying, and also kind of bland aside from the platypus.
  •  I think I already shared this, but although I absolutely love Hazbin Hotel, I thought the pilot of Helluva Boss was really not all that great.
  •  Most of the hate for Rick and Morty (trust me when I say it seems to be getting popular to just hate on Rick and Morty) to me honestly seems like it isn't genuine. 
  •  The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack was a masterpiece that deserved and still deserves more attention.
  •  Camp Lazlo was actually quite a good show, even if it did have it's really dumb moments.
  •  Steven Universe is a great show and all, but my word the first season was an atrocity. Also, I'm not sure what to think about Steven Universe Future. I feel like the show is fine wrapping up where it did.
Edited by Aangel Dust
  • Brohoof 1

50 minutes ago, Aangel Dust said:

One on animated series (no MLP related ones, though I have quite a few of those):

•  Kids Next Door really wasn't all that great. It was annoying and kind of dumb, especially in retrospect.
  •  The Loud House is just OK, nothing more and nothing less. I will say, on the negative end, Lincoln's voice is SO ANNOYING!
  •  I honestly always found Phineas and Ferb kind of annoying, and also kind of bland aside from the platypus.
  •  I think I already shared this, but although I absolutely love Hazbin Hotel, I thought the pilot of Helluva Boss was really not all that great.
  •  Most of the hate for Rick and Morty (trust me when I say it seems to be getting popular to just hate on Rick and Morty) to me honestly seems like it isn't genuine. 
  •  The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack was a masterpiece that deserved and still deserves more attention.
  •  Camp Lazlo was actually quite a good show, even if it did have it's really dumb moments.
  •  Steven Universe is a great show and all, but my word the first season was an atrocity. Also, I'm not sure what to think about Steven Universe Future. I feel like the show is fine wrapping up where it did.

I agree with you on #3,  and 4-7.

8 hours ago, Aangel Dust said:

I don't know if it's nostalgia for me, but I've never hated All Grown Up. I feel the later season even went through great lengths to flesh them out a bit (even going through to trouble of changing their hair and changing their clothes every episode) Maybe I was the right demographic for the teen-middleschool shows and I could easily digest it but I have such a positive memory of the show as being unique from Rugrats. Plus it genuinely made one of my top 10 favorite pieces of horror media ever, "Interview with a Campfire"

Game of Thrones is overrated

Found the Godzilla animated series after the sheit movie to be rather entertaining

Black Mirror is overrated too

Star Trek Deep Space 9 is pretty good. By no means perfect, but good

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Splashee said:

F.r.i.e.n.d.s.

Never got into it. I only liked the theme song, and even that is getting on my nerves sometimes.

I can’t stand it, either. I also can’t stand Two and a Half Men because the intro and every scene change that says “meeennn” annoys me. I’m also probably too young to understand what’s happening in the show anyways cause it’s one of those shows where you had to be in that generation to get it

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, ExplosionMare said:

I can’t stand it, either. I also can’t stand Two and a Half Men because the intro and every scene change that says “meeennn” annoys me. I’m also probably too young to understand what’s happening in the show anyways cause it’s one of those shows where you had to be in that generation to get it

I can't stand that show because of Charlie Sheen :awwthanks:

6 hours ago, Sherem said:

Never liked pokemon at any level, neither the game nor the series, and the opening theme was never that catchy or epic as most people claim it is

Makes me wonder, what theme do you think is catchy? Any theme in any TV series or game at all?

59 minutes ago, Splashee said:

I can't stand that show because of Charlie Sheen :awwthanks:

Makes me wonder, what theme do you think is catchy? Any theme in any TV series or game at all?

Skyrim's main theme