Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if the next generation is woke garbage?

Bendy

(edited)

Mainstream entertainment is mostly dead. There's no political impartiality really at all anymore. Everything seems to be pushing an agenda. Nobody seems to want to tell a story anymore.  In short,  our entertainment is literally just propaganda. I would still hold the same stance if everything was pushing right-wing views. I just wish entertainment would be apolitical.

So, what if this madness infects the G5 of MLP? Would you still watch it?

Edit Note on 13/12/2020: Can someone lock this thread please. It's old. I don't want to see notifications of it every time I log in here when someone digs it up. All that needs to be said is basically said here.

Edited by Bendy
  • Brohoof 9

I would still watch it, i mean i even watched the kinda racist first Batman Serial and found some enjoyment. ( obviously not in the racist part )Everything is a product of it is time and i can see past that.

I heard the new Batwoman Series is bad because it is bashing males i guess? Okay, fine by me. If you are not a bad Person you shouldnt feel attacked because they are obviously not meaning you, so i for myself just accept this stuff and move on, i have no issues with any of it.If they feel the need do that that Kind of stuff now for whatever reason, so be it. If that affects G5 now and every female Pony is a lesbian that hates males, fine. :laugh:

I am a male, i dont care, i just found this Situation to be funny. I would just laugh it off and try if i can find something else in the show. But i highly doubt a Kids Show would get to controversial with sensitive topics anyway, because even though some Bronys dont want to hear it, Mlp is still basically just that: A Show primarly aimed at younger children

If this Topic is referring to something else, because politics were mentioned, i have no idea what it is referring to. I dont care about politics anyway so i wouldnt notice or make much of it anyway.

• Brohoof 1

In my gut, I already feel that G5 is going to funnel into the mainstream garbage. It's a shame, seeing as G4 has changed my life and has meant to much to me while still continuing to do so.

This being said, I will not actively avoid it on first release. Who knows? It might very well surprise us all. A TV-Y show directed at four year olds about pastel ponies surprised me; who's to say that G5 won't? I'm certainly hopeful.

Your point is a good one, though; mainstream media is going down the drain, and a renewed show in this time period is most likely inevitably going to fit that drain. I don't think that "wokeness" has to do with anything in terms of the quality in the show (assuming "wokeness" is a separate term outside "preachy"), but otherwise, I share your concern.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I’d still watch it. Assuming I like the characters and stuff.  

If it ends up being bad, I don’t think it’ll be because it’s political.

Edited by AppleBolt ⚡️
  • Brohoof 3

16 minutes ago, Lex Destrosio said:

If you are not a bad Person you shouldnt feel attacked because they are obviously not meaning you.

Well that logic would make any kind of bigotry or prejudice okay.

”Well if you’re not a bad woman, you don’t have to worry about it when dudes bash women.”

If that is a stupid statement, and it is, then the reverse is also stupid. If you make sweeping, nasty statements about all men, then you are a prejudiced jerk, just like if you made sweeping nasty statements about any group.

• Brohoof 7

(edited)

The reality is all media today is propaganda, so for it to be apolitical would be amazing but Americans are too political. I would watch it though, yet whether I would continue watching it is another story. 

Edited by Fluttershyfan94
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

The more I hear the word "woke" the less it means anything and the more it just becomes a boogeyman, just like SJW

Edited by Kiryu⚡Chan
  • Brohoof 7

So much goes into why I find enjoyment in something, I can't say for certain. I enjoy the hell out of Duck Tales and enjoyed Steven Universe, and both had elements of progressive social commentary that some would call woke, but that is/was an artifact of the showrunner's world view, something that you will find in all art forms.  

• Brohoof 7

Social commentary and so-called agendas have been present in media for a LONG time. While it could be said that the art of subtlety is lost, the idea that such haven’t been used in movies, tv, games, music, and even books for decades is a tad too naive in the end.

Honestly it’s easy to be disillusioned by the political climate and have it sour our views on current media, but really, it’s not that much different than how it’s been in the past.

• Brohoof 5

I'm more of a collector then a show watcher, but I would mostly likely give it a watch just like with anything your going to have your nobody asked for this to be created and the this is awesome they should have made this sooner, but then again there is the in between where it's so so and watchable.

(edited)
32 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

Social commentary and so-called agendas have been present in media for a LONG time. While it could be said that the art of subtlety is lost, the idea that such haven’t been used in movies, tv, games, music, and even books for decades is a tad too naive in the end.

Honestly it’s easy to be disillusioned by the political climate and have it sour our views on current media, but really, it’s not that much different than how it’s been in the past.

Except when I watch the Lord of the Rings I don't see references to modern things whatsoever. It is completely fictional.  Can you tell me the profound political messages found in Bill and Ted? Bill and Ted is just a silly movie about two rock music fans with a time machine.

If there are political messages in these two things they are at least very subtle. Subtle, very hard to do these days.

Edited by Bendy

If G5 is garbage, we will be doomed (to watch G4 on loop).

No matter what, Rainbow Dash will still be awesome in 2030. It is worth staying! :sneer:

• Brohoof 1

One word: schadenfreude

At his point I'd even encourage big companies to get woke so that the financial fire can burn away the dead vegetation for the gaters. Then we can all watch the "everything is political" and "it's not for you" crowd start using the same arguments they are currently trying to refute.

5 hours ago, Bendy said:

Mainstream entertainment is mostly dead. There's no political impartiality really at all anymore. Everything seems to be pushing an agenda. Nobody seems to want to tell a story anymore.  In short,  our entertainment is literally just propaganda. I would still hold the same stance if everything was pushing right-wing views. I just wish entertainment would be apolitical.

Can entertainment be apolitical anymore? I have my doubts. Who would have thought that the continued survival of the human race could be a partisan issue? Global warming was one thing. But look at coronavirus. If you protect yourself from danger, its political. Basic human decency is now political. If we had a literal alien invasion tomorrow, the reaponse would immediately get split along party lines. Half would say we need to do something, the other half would call it a hoax. Then it would be a debate over fighting vs deplomacy. Elsa got skewed by rightists as a leftist conspiracy to push a gay agenda. The Shrek musical got lambasted for bigotry because the BAD GUYS called the wolf a tranny. Everything is political. Blaming entertainment for it is moot at this point.

Equestria Girls all had pastel rainbow skin which meant they could avoid the unnavigatable sociopolitical minefield of balancing races and characterizations and stereotypes like a lot of shows used to try doing. What happened? They got flamed for NOT drawing attention to racial issues. Not taking a position is a position unto itself. We are not 'allowed' to spectate. They're screwed no matter what they do. Even just the friendship message and stuff about cooperation vs competition is "anti-capitalist," and "anti-libertarian."

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
19 minutes ago, BornAgainBrony said:

Can entertainment be apolitical anymore? I have my doubts. Who would have thought that the continued survival of the human race could be a partisan issue? Global warming was one thing. But look at coronavirus. If you protect yourself from danger, its political. Basic human decency is now political. If we had a literal alien invasion tomorrow, the reaponse would immediately get split along party lines. Half would say we need to do something, the other half would call it a hoax. Then it would be a debate over fighting vs deplomacy. Elsa got skewed by rightists as a leftist conspiracy to push a gay agenda. The Shrek musical got lambasted for bigotry because the BAD GUYS called the wolf a tranny. Everything is political. Blaming entertainment for it is moot at this point.

Equestria Girls all had pastel rainbow skin which meant they could avoid the unnavigatable sociopolitical minefield of balancing races and characterizations and stereotypes like a lot of shows used to try doing. What happened? They got flamed for NOT drawing attention to racial issues. Not taking a position is a position unto itself. We are not 'allowed' to spectate. They're screwed no matter what they do. Even just the friendship message and stuff about cooperation vs competition is "anti-capitalist," and "anti-libertarian."

No everything is not political.  Morgoth, the bad guy from The Lord of the Rings motivation was to destroy anything that wasn't himself, in the end. If he succeeded in destroying all other beings he'd attack the mountains and grind them to dust. Then he'd hate the dust. Does Morgoth have rightwing or leftwing views if he simply wants to kill everyone? 

Edited by Bendy

5 hours ago, Bendy said:

I would try watching it, but, depending on how much SJW propaganda and/or real-world politics were there I may just stop watching it.

Unless it also included a nerd anti-normalization story or normalization avoidance, that may offset the SJW crap up to a point.

(edited)
8 minutes ago, ggg-2 said:

Not quite sure what you mean.

There has to be infinite genders, all white men are evil, and everyone is a Nazi who isn't far to the left. And other nonsense.  Basically what the mainstream is pushing.

Edited by Bendy
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Personally, haven’t seen any show like this yet so I doubt it. 

There’s nothing wrong with being topical as long as they do it in a meaningful strategic way. Have a pony that looks like Donald trump and talks like them and says “we need to build a wall” is very cringe so if you mean going that far, then I would have a problem with that. 

Steven Universe is an example of a show that has great writing and handles new world topics with care.

36 minutes ago, BornAgainBrony said:

Equestria Girls all had pastel rainbow skin which meant they could avoid the unnavigatable sociopolitical minefield of balancing races and characterizations and stereotypes like a lot of shows used to try doing. What happened? They got flamed for NOT drawing attention to racial issues. 

They got flamed? Really?

bever saw anyone talk about this. Unless it was only back in 2013 mainly. Def. felt have them pastel colored was the best option imo.

Edited by Misscellanio

At the very least, I'm sure it at least won't get the Teen Titans Go treatment.

But sadly yes. They just don't make Western Cartoons like they used to anymore. At least some new animes are still good.

(edited)

If the message is subtle and doesn't interfere with the story I might still watch it but if not then I'll just stick with G4 and ignore the new.

The problem for me is there isn't any nuance or subtlety with political messaging in media anymore, no showing different points of view, no showing that both sides may have good and bad points, no finding balance, compromise or cooperation and not leaving it up to the audience to make up their own minds at times.

Edited by Rainbow Cloud 🌈
  • Brohoof 7