• Bird
    • Snake
    • Iguana
    • Ferret
    • Pony
    • Stick Bug
    • Turtle
    • Some type of farm animal
    • Other (Please tell us about it in the comments)

I'd hate to break it to you; but obviously my snake is vastly superior. (He's an albino morph - I'll post a pick here as soon as I get one. -.-)

I would tell you how to check the sex of them, but that's kinda not G-rated. ^^

you seem to know corn snakes really well, and i need to ask you something that has me a bit worried.

my tank looks like this, its just a small 10-15 gallon that the snake came with

post-3469-0-58986100-1364067583_thumb.jpg

that light, should i be keeping it on all the time? i have an under tank heater but its not installed yet, but im just worried that light might cook him. it might be beacuse im just a first timer, but i just need to know, should i have it off at night, then keep it on all day?

you seem to know corn snakes really well, and i need to ask you something that has me a bit worried.

my tank looks like this, its just a small 10-15 gallon that the snake came with

attachicon.gifIMG_0252.JPG

that light, should i be keeping it on all the time? i have an under tank heater but its not installed yet, but im just worried that light might cook him. it might be beacuse im just a first timer, but i just need to know, should i have it off at night, then keep it on all day?

Since he's a corn snake, it's fine for the day. For night; use a night light. You can buy them at most pet stores.

I just use the night light all day.

Also; that terrarium seems a bit busy. I would suggest moving the tree thing.

And; if you can, switch the pine/cedar shavings with aspen shavings. They won't stick to food as much when you feed your snake, though it's still recommended to feed in a separate container (Like a tupperware container with paper towel in it). Those shavings are used in pet shops for looks, mostly. They are also a bit overly absorbent. 

Edited by Firebolt

Since he's a corn snake, it's fine for the day. For night; use a night light. You can buy them at most pet stores.

And; if you can, switch the pine/cedar shavings with aspen shavings. They won't stick to food as much when you feed your snake, though it's still recommended to feed in a separate container (Like a tupperware container with paper towel in it). Those shavings are used in pet shops for looks, mostly. They are also a bit overly absorbent. 

its something similar to dirt, i think its like, zoo med coconut fiber.....or something xD im not totally sure, theirs moss in there as well.

i will be getting a larger 20 gallon tank in two weeks, as well as a better lighting system, probibly a night light as well, but this should be fine for at least two weeks right?

• Brohoof 1

its something similar to dirt, i think its like, zoo med coconut fiber.....or something xD im not totally sure, theirs moss in there as well.

i will be getting a larger 20 gallon tank in two weeks, as well as a better lighting system, probibly a night light as well, but this should be fine for at least two weeks right?

Yea, it should. :P But; your going to have problems with cleaning using such shavings. They'll get quite heavily, and will need to be cleaned a lot more often then aspen shaving.

Yea, it should. tongue.png But; your going to have problems with cleaning using such shavings. They'll get quite heavily, and will need to be cleaned a lot more often then aspen shaving.

im a little iffy about aspen shavings just beacuse someone told me the snakes could get slivers or something....im not sure, ill see what i can get in a couple of weeks, i know i need to clean out and fill his water bowl every day, feed him every week, keep his tank at a reasonable temperature.

should i shut off his light if the hot side of his tank gets too warm? above 90-95 degrees?

im a little iffy about aspen shavings just beacuse someone told me the snakes could get slivers or something....im not sure, ill see what i can get in a couple of weeks, i know i need to clean out and fill his water bowl every day, feed him every week, keep his tank at a reasonable temperature.

should i shut off his light if the hot side of his tank gets too warm? above 90-95 degrees?

No, they can't. Not sure if you've handled your snake while in the pet store, but their scales are far too thick for that. My snake was completely fine, even when he was only 3 months old.

And, yea. But just temporarily.

I have a beautiful little black lab puppy. His name is Cannonball, or Cannon for short, and while he's...erm, rather annoying, he's adorable. :3 Here's a pic. biggrin.pnghttp://i47.tinypic.com/2ag9e7m.jpg

D'Awwwww  I love dogs :3

Especially Puppies :3

im getting a Malamute (husky) puppy as soon as Im in a stable house when I finish army training ^_^

• Brohoof 1

D'Awwwww  I love dogs :3

Especially Puppies :3

im getting a Malamute (husky) puppy as soon as Im in a stable house when I finish army training happy.png

Oooh that is soooo cuuute~! <3 Be careful though, Malamutes are very strong willed, and don't do very well with multiple furry critters in the household. So long as you have no cats, no other dogs, and a firm hand, they're lovely, well-mannered pets. :D

• Brohoof 1

i can honestly say, i dont think he likes me very much, every time i try to get him to at least investigate or get a whiff of my scent from my hand, he shies away, and is always in his hiding log..... and when ive gently touched him, he recoils......he was very content at the pet store...what changed?

i can honestly say, i dont think he likes me very much, every time i try to get him to at least investigate or get a whiff of my scent from my hand, he shies away, and is always in his hiding log..... and when ive gently touched him, he recoils......he was very content at the pet store...what changed?

You tried to get him to adjust to him far too quickly...

In a pet store, there's someone who always cares for a pet. They get used to that. As soon as that is removed; they're insecure. An unfamiliar smell is frighting, considering how snakes see. Snakes are also naturally shy, so hiding is a thing they do when intimidated by something. Gently touching (Or, rather poking. As it feels that unpleasant to a snake) randomly is the worth thing you can do. They'll get themselves worked up, and if done too much in a condensed space of time, may become shy to no return.

And that's why I said he shouldn't be handled for at least 3 days.

I would wait a week, and at least 1 feeding before trying to handle him again. For now: just feed him in his terrarium.

You tried to get him to adjust to him far too quickly...

In a pet store, there's someone who always cares for a pet. They get used to that. As soon as that is removed; they're insecure. An unfamiliar smell is frighting, considering how snakes see. Snakes are also naturally shy, so hiding is a thing they do when intimidated by something. Gently touching (Or, rather poking. As it feels that unpleasant to a snake) randomly is the worth thing you can do. They'll get themselves worked up, and if done too much in a condensed space of time, may become shy to no return.

And that's why I said he shouldn't be handled for at least 3 days.

I would wait a week, and at least 1 feeding before trying to handle him again. For now: just feed him in his terrarium.

well, i didnt touch him on purpose, i was just trying to refill his water bowl one of my fingers rubbed against his side, and he recoiled, guess im not that good with pets.....*sigh*

Let's see:

I have 2 dogs, both rescues. One from a high kill shelter and one off the side of the highway.

I also have 2 cats, both which hate me and will kill me if they had a chance.

I have 1 guinea pig. Use to be two but she killed her sister.

I also have 1 baby turtle. She's just the cutest thing!

/)

Edited by Sir.Derpington Hooves

I have quite a few pets. I have five in total, two dogs and three birds.

I have a Golden Retreaver and a Yellow Lab Both are rather small for their breed and are pretty calm. They mostly just sleep the day away in the kitchen only taking a break for a bite to eat. They have pretty simple lives.

As for birds, we have a new canary in the house. Our yellow canary finally passed away a few days ago. He lived a good long life and I'm sure he was giving Darwin's a run for his money in terms of age. Quite sad, really, he was a feisty little guy. The new little man just wants to eat all the time!

Our orange winged amazon really doesn't care much for me, but we're on OK terms I guess. He's mostly my mother's bird and he pretty much ignores me.

My african grey is my little buddy. He sits next to me while I'm on the computer and he's as friendly as can be with me. He's been my friend since he was bald and featherless and he must be around 4-5 now. He is only friendly with me though, he can be quite mean with others.

Edited by Celtore

Let's see, where to begin...

Three cats: A tortoiseshell, a siamese, and a gray tabby. The tortoiseshell is my baby and I love her forever.

Six parakeets: Four blue/white, two green. They all want to kill each other on a daily basis.

Four sugar gliders: The strange Australian flying squirrel things that bark like dogs at night and make a very peculiar sound when they're scared.

I own a cat and dog, the dog being an Australian Shepard. Looks almost exactly like this 

Australian+Shepherd+Dog4.jpg

The cat on the other hand I don't know the breed, but looks like this

2632844-black-cat-with-yellow-eyes-sitti

Edited by Retro✮Derpy
  • Brohoof 1

words

well, crescent just ate his first fuzzy, so i think hes a little more comfortable now, i fed him in his vivarium, but ill be moving him to another holder on his next feeding (i hope depends on if i can get the money for it.)

well, crescent just ate his first fuzzy, so i think hes a little more comfortable now, i fed him in his vivarium, but ill be moving him to another holder on his next feeding (i hope depends on if i can get the money for it.)

You can just feed him in a tubuware bowl with paper towel in it. Much cheaper then getting something else that you don't need.

You can just feed him in a tubuware bowl with paper towel in it. Much cheaper then getting something else that you don't need.

i know, get him something, but ill need to get something to keep him warm after he eats x3, but he did feed well, so im guessing thats a good thing?

means hes at least comfortable right?

Edited by Queen Nightmare

okay, so tommorrow will be one week, well technically one week and a day after i bought crescent, when i try to handle him tommorrow, how should i go about it, should i make sure he knows my hand is there then just slowly pick him up?

I had five hens, which has boiled down to just two now due to a disease, my cat, Jasmine who we've had for as long as I can remember, who for most of the day is in my room where my two gerbils are, and we have two goldfish in the living room. Oh and we usually have to take care of my uncle's dog Lexi when they're away. Utter chaos.

Edited by ShikariLukari

At this time,i only have one pet.He's a hamster named spike.Im not exactly sure what type of hamster he is though.We used to have some fish but im not sure what happened to them though :huh: (but im guessing they probaly died during the time we were moving).