Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

In what way do you break brony stereotypes?

BMO

I dunno how many things I break really.

Um lets see.

-I'm not gay(No offense to gay people though, or bi's or lesbians or anything like that I still have no quarrels with them, just saying.)

-I dont clop,(I tolerate those who do, but I don't personally)

-I don't spread it everywhere(I'm a closet brony)

-I don't really even have any pony merch(Closet brony again).

Um I don't really know anymore xD.?

• Brohoof 1

19 years old, listens to mostly technical metal and djent-polyrhythmic metal. Listen to heavy dubstep and occasional deathcore.

Likes gore and dark art, did 13 years of martial arts, punches people without warning when they try to act tough and alpha against me.

Contrary to pedophilia I hate kids with a passion unless they're actually intelligent, thank god most of you lads are. Is pansexual, not gay.

Works out twice to three times a week, doesn't have a neckbeard, has plenty of actual hobbies besides video-gaming including but not exclusively singing, dancing, playing guitar and drawing. Oh and no, I'm not obese, I'm underweight.

Works at a cinema as the guy who starts the film (at our cinema we still have one of those old-fashioned projectors), handles the light AND the sound.

Soon-to-be university student. Kinda obsessed with the show but not overly, but I guess I'm a fanatic when it comes to the things I like, not just MLP. 

Not pushing the show in everyone's faces, again, I've explained this phenomenon numerous of times. Just making references from time to time, nothing wrong with that unless you're one of those turbo-haters/uber-grumpy pantses. 

Doesn't hate or reject clop, but not a clopper myself.

Creepy? Depends on your definition of creepy. Perhaps people might find me a bit creepy because of my varying interests but seriously, I wouldn't even dare to hurt a fly just because it's flying around, neither would I ever hurt anyone who's polite, friendly or the ones who leave me alone.

Final thing, the people who tell me I'm a virgin, sorry bro, but you're acting like a sexually-stressed virgin yourself. Perhaps I can teach you a thing or two about talking to women, and men, if that's your interest.

So yea, I break nearly every single stereotype. Sure I might not be the most social person around, but at least I'm not the super silent type who never says anything.

I break the stereotypes by... by... um...

I don't actually. I pretty much embody them.

I'm a 25-year-old loser who lives with his parents (not in a basement though! We don't have basements where I live), is a virgin, will always be one, hated by all women, is fairly creepy, is a weak little pansy with some decidedly feminine interests, works at a dead-end job, is an artfag, likes ponies too much for his own good, and has almost no friends and no semblance of a social life to speak of.

Hey, to my credit, I'm not fat or gay, so that's at least two stereotypes I've broken!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Let's see. Well, to get the obvious out of the way, I'm not autistic, gay, effeminate, or a pedophile. (Hell, even if I were an autistic gay dude, is that really a reason to ridicule someone? Hint: No.)

I don't shove the show down people's throats, nor am I excessively showy about my affinity for ponies. Also, I don't have MLP merch spanning from wall-to-wall.

I have an average social life consisting of a tight-knit circle of close friends, compounded by a wider circle of casual friends. Might even say I'm a bit of a party animal, although I don't go overboard with it.

I have a steady job. I don't like it, but my income is adequate enough for me to pay all my bills and still have savings left over.

I own a car, albeit a real shitty one. But you get what you pay for, and I'm a frugal bastard.

Granted, I do still live with my parents, but their house is going to be mine when they either pass away or get too old to properly care for it, so moot point, really. And even still, I'm planning on moving out once my best friend is in a financial position to room with me.

My hygiene is decent (I'm not one to go out in public looking like a slob), and although I'm a little overweight, my hard work over the past year has slimmed me down from the obese butterball I used to be. And even now, I'm still setting weight goals for myself.

Oh, I'm also a listener, writer and performer of heavy buckin' metal, the manliest music on the planet. Not to mention I definitely look the part...I don't exactly know what the stereotypical brony is supposed to look like, but I can assure you, I'm not an accurate representation of the brony image. In fact, I might just be the antithesis of what haters think bronies look like.

That's about all I can think of to debunk. Haters can blow me...

...up a few balloons, for Pinkie Pie's latest party. Eeyup. mellow.png

And @Gigapony...do you need a hug, bro? You've been awfully self-deprecating lately.

Edited by Lowline
  • Brohoof 4

Okay so like, I dunno about you folks, but I go to the gym and I work out a lot. I only started relatively recently but for laughs I have worn my Brony shirt there and have gotten many strange looks.

Oh yeah, I'm also not on the internet 24/7.

I'm hate sports and I spend 5 hours a day on the computer, yes.

Am I an overweight neckbeard who worship fedoras? No.

Am I rabid. No

Am I gay? No.

Clopping doesn't matter.

I am Autistic, but I'm not the Autistic you think.

And @Gigapony...do you need a hug, bro? You've been awfully self-deprecating lately.

I'm always self-deprecating, but sometimes when it's on my mind I get more vocal about it than I ought to be. But I'm just being honest with myself and calling it like it is. Though I probably shouldn't throw my dirty laundry all over the forum so I do apologise.

• Brohoof 1

I am autistic as well, and I think the only reason people classify  bronies as autistic is because of people like Chris-Chan

Well I like sports. Especially swimming and football. I recently got into running.

I am not fat. I am actually very healthy and athletic for my age but not a huge bodybuilder.

I'm straight. (Watch out ladies :lol:)

I don't clop.

I have many friends. A circle of close friends and a bigger circle of casual friends.

I go out with my friends almost everyday so I don't lay around on the computer all day watching mlp.

I dont shove my fandom down other's throats. (Though I am a closet brony.)

Quite easily in my case.

-Bronies are overweight and live in their parents' basement.

Refuted by the fact that I weigh 140lb, have a waistline of AT LEAST 28", and can't find a good reason to move out, other than raging at my stepdad every now and then.

-Bronies are gay.

Refuted by the fact that you'll see me hitting on girls, though failing horribly. I'm also quite socially awkward and don't know what to say, but admitting that to an anti-brony is a horrible idea.

-Bronies are manchildren.

Refuted by the fact that liking something that they hate isn't a bad thing, because we all like certain things for certain reasons. I personally love this fandom because of how friendly everyone is, and how fun the show can be, as well as the fanworks. Fallout: Equestria was my tipping point.

I swear, all some people want to do is bring down others. It's frustrating and sickening, but we've got to remember that we're on the good side of this war. Don't feed the fire, and don't try to openly oppose what they say about you. Feeding the trolls never got anyone anywhere, and it's just not worth it when there's going to be a whole legion of haters that pop up behind them.

• Brohoof 1

O.k.

I'm 43 years old.

I've been married for 17 years and have 2 daughters.

I'm a weightlifter. I bench #500, Deadlift #625 and Squat #650.

I've worked as a bouncer, a bodyguard and in security work for most of my adult life.

I don't talk to people about the show unless they ask me-but I don't hide it either. I wear a 'Brony' shirt sometimes when I go out-it sparks interesting conversations.

Oh, and I moved out of my parent's house when I was 16.

• Brohoof 3

I'm awesome.

Okay, other than that, I suppose I'll just assume things about the Brony stereotype in order to answer this question.

I'm not gay. I'm guessing that's part of the stereotype. What is interesting though is that all the friends I have that actually are gay hate the show and keep asking me why the heck I like it and they say that they find it weird. So that part of the stereotype definitely doesn't hold up.

I'm easy to talk to and not socially awkward. I guess that's part of it too, although that one is just silly as there are people who are shy or anti-social from all walks of life.

Fedora and neckbeard... no, but I always hated those two stupid things. I'm more of a snapback guy myself, but I really don't see an issue with headwear, and I know plenty of people who have a neckbeard who are far from being a Brony. That's really just a stereotype that people have of hipsters or something. I dunno, this one is just stupid to me.

Overweight? Not really. I've actually lost weight since High School, which is a good thing.

Live with Parents. Yeah, figures. I'm getting a new job in July that pays pretty well, so I hope to pay off my school debt and then move out. Like a boss.

*Takes a puff on pipe*

So that about covers it. Thanks to all of you for sharing what makes you unique and different, and proving that the stereotype is silly. Not saying there aren't some that fit the criteria, but what I find interesting about that is that I don't care. If you're gay, shy, overweight, like fedoras, or aren't the biggest fan of shaving your neck, I really don't mind. It's just a part of who you are, whether you're a Brony or not.

• Brohoof 3

I am about 50/50 on being a stereotype and not being one, but so long as you who you are and are not a dick than what does it matter?

I'm 27 but I am of the school of thought that you are never too old for cartoons anyway

I have got a gut I will admit that, but I also have plenty of muscle as well, basically I have a football player build

I used to be very socially awkward but that was due to me having Autism which I have for the most part overcome but I still have a few challenges.

I am a virgin in part due to the social awkwardness I had for most of my life because of Autism and because a lot of things happened like school, work and having to take care of my sick father that didn't give me very many opportunities to take care of that. I will admit that I am a huge perv but while I am not waiting until my wedding day I am not comfortable giving myself to just anyone either. My time will cum (get it) and I really think the whole virgin=loser thing to be stupid and immature.

Does my hand count as an attractive girlfriend?

I have a few close friends and am well respected among most of my coworkers

I don't go out of my way to hide it but don't go out of my way to tell anyone either and for the most part treat it like any other interest but do have 2 plushies and have another one preordered, and 2 MLP shirts and watch re reuns regularly.

I have already admitted to being a clopper on here so I am not harming anything by saying it again.

• Brohoof 1

- I weight lift and go to the gym daily. Still kinda husky, but I've got muscle to make up for it. 

- I do have facial hair. "Neck beard?" No. Close-trimmed stubble? Yup. :P

- During the college school year I have a decent social life.

- I am employed. 

(edited)

I have facial hair, but it is not a neck beard. It's a goatee.

I exercise on a daily basis.

I'm not overly obsessed with the show to the point that I always talk about it everywhere I go. I only talk about it if someone wants to start a conversation about it.

I'm not thirty years old. I'm eighteen.

Edited by SmartyPants

Well, I play sports, am not fat, exercise quite often, get out of the house and see the sun, am not 30yrs old (in highschool) and have a social life. I do live with my parents though, because you know.. Im in highschool.

What do I do to break the stereotype? Well a typical stereotype is that people think we are soft and kind people that try to'Love & Tolerate' everyone. Here's how I break that stereotype:

I'm the sort of person that can easily tell other people how he will torture them into insanity with excruciating and graphical detail, whilst he has a look of enjoyment upon his face. I have the kind of gaze that saps all the happiness and enjoyment out of a conversation, that people cannot hold for any longer than a couple of seconds. The emotions that I display in real life are almost always a mask, concealing the fact that you curl up and die for all I care.

Truth be told though, I usually flick though the state that I described above and actually feeling emotions. So, whether I actually mean what I say and express is true or not is a complete mystery to everyone except myself.

You two are actually FOLLOWING the stereotype that all bronies are hypocritical jackasses when it comes to love and toleration, and will rage whenever possible.

Whoa hey, I'm re-responding to an old reply to my first post on this thread. I'd just like to say that, NO, I don't TRY to rage whenever possible. It's a hard-to-control thing. Not to mention, it's not that big a deal anymore. The only things I get pissy about are when I get killed a million times in Skyrim and when my brother starts being a douche.

And yeah, I'm hypocritical. All people are. Don't lie, you are too. ;)

Um... nowadays the only real way I defy brony stereotypes is by not obsessing over the show during off-season times. In fact I rarely think about the show right now. I'm not at all attached to the fandom these days. I'll probably be back into it when it's back on.

• Brohoof 1

-I have friends

Not meant to be offensive, but I feel like the stereotype of most Bronies are that they have no friends and live in their basement.

-I don't clop

Most people I know that aren't Bronies think that if you're a Brony, you're a clopper.

-I don't have a lot of MLP merchandise

I'm just a casual Brony that likes the show. I don't wear MLP shirts, and I don't collect MLP toys.

(edited)

The only ways I can think of are:

- I own this amount of merchandise: 0. Although, that's mainly because I don't want my parents to know, and I'm only 13.

- I do not clop. The first time I layed eyes on R34 I was like blink.png.

- I'm hetrosexual.

- MLP isn't the only thing I like. I'm a massive Pokemon addict and I love writing.

- I'm bloomin' thin. I need to gain weight but my mum's on a diet so I have to eat loads of her slimming food. *shudder*

- Ok, this is the one I don't like to admit. I'm scared of talking about MLP. sad.png

Well, I guess that's it.

Edited by BrainyBrony

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Stereotypes?Hm...

the only one I fit into is gay, but I was gay long before I knew of Bronydom. MLP didn't turn me gay.

middle aged and a fat virgin?

Nope. I'm a 24 year old 5'6'' toothpick(135lbs), I"m rather quite active, I don't sit inside all day and play video games. Video games get boring after awhile, I'm also not a virgin. I did have a boyfriend and he actually hated ponies, but that was over a year ago.

~ Yes, I do have friends, not many but I do have them.

Yes, I tend to collect a lot of MLP merch, I like to support the show.I got everything from plushies and posters to t-shirts and brushables.

Edited by Flutter Dash

• 1 month later...

For me? Hmmmmmmmm-

Fat?

Sorta, but i'm getting a huge growth spurt

Gay?

Nope.

Neckbeard?

I'm 14, i don't have a beard.

30 year old living at his moms?

I'm 14! of course i'd live with my mom, i cant drive!

Autistic?

I'm lowest part of the spectrum, so yeah

Buys pony merch?

I might have a sister, so i want to show her the love and kindness by buying cards

Buttface that has a fedora?

Nope, many people have called me a joker! Maybe because i'm a April fools baby....,

Clopper?

Oh god no!, that r34 hurts my eyes!

Horrible fanfic wroter?

my fics are okay, i need to work in them through

<i heard a lot of these from brony hating furries>

I'm athletic. I went to the USATF Junior Olympic Nationals for cross country and am varsity on three high school teams.

I have plenty of friends, although I honestly don't know why. I'm kind of a jerk.  :lol:

"Love and tolerate" is dumb. BURN THE WORLD TO ASHES