Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general How do you feel about romantic relationships?

FatalRain

In all honesty, a relationship would be awesome and I would love to be in one. Though I can see that a lot of the newer generations aren't the "lasting type" if you know what I mean which might be a challenge to find that perfect person. 

romantic relationships are nice, but theyre not a necessity to me. i like to be a single pringle 

friends will always be there for you, but typically once a romantic relationship fails, they stop talking to eachother. so those are temporary.

3 hours ago, Pastel-chan said:

Romance is nice. If it's achievable.

I'm basically a kid at heart and no one wants that, I'm also high maintenance. I can dream though.

youd be surprised!!!!! im also a kid at heart, and people tell me my youthful spirit & personality is one of the things that attracts them to me most. as for high maintenance, that might be the only issue you wanna work on but some people truly do find that attractive xD believeeee me

• Brohoof 3

Only ever "romantic relationship" I've been in was with my (at the time) best friend. We were so close at the time anyway, it just sort of seemed logical. But when I put the label of "girlfriend" on her, suddenly there was just so much pressure that wasn't there before. I felt like I was gonna scare her off or something, and I had to act just right instead of being myself. Ironically that sort of nuked my relationship, since I wasn't acting myself, and it was myself that she enjoyed, not this face I started putting on. She felt the pressure too, and we immediately reverted back to being best friends.

Honestly I prefer friendships over romance any day. With relationships, I feel "locked in" and under pressure. Under pressure to perform well, to treat her extra extra right, to make her feel more special than anyone, to make her days excellent, and to be the best I can for her. And I don't perform well under pressure.

But with friendships, there's no pressure at all, because friendships are optional. There's no threat of a messy breakup, the worst that'll happen between friends is a slow drift apart that isn't really an option with relationships. But more importantly, friendships form when two people who are already happy with themselves meet each other and enjoy each others' company and personality. It's the purest form of emotion, without any underlying motives or pressure, and it's lovely.

For me, anyway, friendships fill all the gaps that being single fail to. What do I get by being in a relationship, except a whole bunch of emotional stress and someone who steals my food? xD

• Brohoof 2

I'll get back to this subject if I have one.

Romantic relationship doesn't seem to be the "happily ever after" situation like Disney tells us it will be. I don't trust Disney, they promised me I would become a princess, that never happened! Hasbro is a little bit more accurate, still I have stolen, like 3 pearls already, and I don't get wings :mlp_wat:

On 4/14/2019 at 10:42 PM, Aangel Dust said:

Well, I don't know exactly how to feel about them. My current relationship may be absolutely wonderful, but I've had my fair share of pointless relationships that were downright uncomfortable for me. I would say that they have their pros and cons and good relationships present more of the former while bad ones present more of the latter.

Maybe I should go into those "pros and cons" a bit.

Pros are that there's somebody there to support you at every step of the way, there's somebody for you to feel connected to, and somebody that you can share your experiences with. Cons are that you can't always trust people to not have their fair share of issues, and for you selfish types maybe that you actually have to BE there for YOUR SO.

I say it's worth the investment as long as you don't get an abusive partner or one that is emotionally manipulative (my ex *cough cough*). One thing I will say is that relationships may not be for you if you can't deal with other peoples' flaws, and/or try to address your own.

Edited by Aangel Dust
  • Brohoof 1

• 8 months later...

I do not think romantic love is real or special. About more than half of romantic couples either break up with each other or divorce each other, while most platonic best friends remain friends until death. 

I think that having a platonic best friend is a lot better than having a romantic partner or spouse is. 

I started to think that the concept of romantic relationships is not a good thing. 

There are a lot of toxic romantic relationships, while there isn't that many toxic platonic relationships. Like an example is that abuse happens a lot in romantic relationships, while abuse is rare in platonic relationships. So there is a lot of abusive romantic relationships, while there is isn't that many abusive platonic relationships.

Why do you think abusive romantic relationships have a term for them called "domestic violence", while abusive platonic relationships don't have a term for them? It's because abuse in platonic relationships are very rare, while abuse in romantic relationships happens a lot.

And also, a lot of people cheat on their romantic partners with someone else, while most people won't do stuff like that with their platonic best friends. 

And also, it seems that fathers usually hate it whenever their daughter gets a boyfriend (even if the boyfriend is a good guy), and it seems that they often hate the idea of their daughter dating, and many fathers seem against the idea of their daughters dating. There are even shirts made for daughters that say "I'M NOT ALLOWED TO EVER DATE" and shirts made for fathers that say "DADS AGAINST DAUGHTERS DATING".

Brothers also tend to act the same way that fathers do whenever their sister gets a boyfriend (even if the boyfriend is a good guy). It seems brothers (like fathers) hate the idea of their sisters dating.

So it seems that most fathers don't ever want their daughters to find love and be in a romantic relationship with someone, and it also seems that most brothers don't ever want their sisters to find love and be in a romantic relationship with someone.

So those could also be other reasons why the concept of romantic relationships isn't a good thing because of how protective fathers and brothers tend to be whenever their daughter or sister dates someone.

Edited by AlicornSpell

romantic love is so confusing to me. 

What is romance in the first place? because as far as i understand it I think it's kinda like "demonstrative" love. You like feel it and act naturally expressing your affection by physical actions and reaffirmations of said love. So like... hugging and kissing, and being all cutesy or buying flowers, saying love you a lot, giving looks or something, giving presents... idk... is that what it is?

I know that people feel like doing that, that's why there's an entire industry around it, but It's so foreign to me. So when talking about romantic relationships I understand it like so, being all super lost into each other and constantly seeking that physical tangible direct demonstration of love in words, actions or things. 

And for what i feel about it, it's not my thing. I don't get it and it's a huge problem personally because I almost feel obligated to do it because it's expected of you to do so otherwise ppl feel like you don't care about them or don't love them but I can't naturally feel that or the need to do so. It's a bit sickening and shallow and overly demanding, for me at least. But i can't really ask ppl to change either if they do like it and want to REALLY let others know how much they like it, so i just advert my eyes and try to stay away from that. 

• Brohoof 1

13 hours ago, Ittoni said:

And for what i feel about it, it's not my thing. I don't get it and it's a huge problem personally because I almost feel obligated to do it because it's expected of you to do so otherwise ppl feel like you don't care about them or don't love them but I can't naturally feel that or the need to do so. It's a bit sickening and shallow and overly demanding, for me at least. But i can't really ask ppl to change either if they do like it and want to REALLY let others know how much they like it, so i just advert my eyes and try to stay away from that

Maybe you're aromantic?

Flowers, kisses, hugs, etc are not the goals but ways to express love, you can omit the most of this if your partner is ok with this (thought relationship without at least kisses and hugs seems weird to me)

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Vefka said:

Maybe you're aromantic?

Flowers, kisses, hugs, etc are not the goals but ways to express love, you can omit the most of this if your partner is ok with this (thought relationship without at least kisses and hugs seems weird to me)

I probably am. I can make compromises of course to maintain the other happy because I know is important for them but is definitely difficult. Platonic relationships are better for me. Just best friends forever.

• Brohoof 2

I feel like the examples I’ve seen, mostly from media, are either too idealistic or dysfunctional, so it is really hard to understand what a proper relationship looks like. I haven’t been in one myself, either, so that only makes it trickier you understand the concept.

• Brohoof 2

This may sound strange especially since I’m straight but in media, I’ve always thought homosexual relationships were better than heterosexual ones. I guess I’ve seen so many guy x girl relationships on TV that I get tired of them. That and it’s just interesting to me to see different types of relationships.

• Brohoof 1

20 hours ago, ExplosionMare said:

. I guess I’ve seen so many guy x girl relationships on TV that I get tired of them. That and

My skilled quoting :mlp_icwudt:

Yea, I got tired of them too. But then came the gay relationships on TV... Wait. I kinda stopped watching TV around that time, I might be wrong

3 hours ago, Splashee® said:

My skilled quoting :mlp_icwudt:

Yea, I got tired of them too. But then came the gay relationships on TV... Wait. I kinda stopped watching TV around that time, I might be wrong

My main influence of seeing gay couples on TV was Modern Family which has a main gay couple in it (Cam and Mitchel). Those two are my favorite characters because they’re just really goofy and they always have funny things to say about each other.

Edited by ExplosionMare
Elaborated
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/12/2020 at 8:27 AM, Meson Bolt said:

There's no threat of a messy breakup, the worst that'll happen between friends is a slow drift apart that isn't really an option with relationships. 

Even friends have ghosted me so idk :c 

I can understand the pressure thing though

I've had too many relationships to count honestly or very least I have no idea. Don't exactly keep a track on that haha. Though you know, my thoughts are it is amazing dudes being with someone you love and someone who loves you back is amazing. Not only that but also just having someone you know is faithful to you and truly committed is great not to mention imagining your future with them.

Though you should always keep your eyes wide open for any possible romance. 

• Brohoof 1

On 9/24/2020 at 10:34 PM, ExplosionMare said:

This may sound strange especially since I’m straight but in media, I’ve always thought homosexual relationships were better than heterosexual ones. I guess I’ve seen so many guy x girl relationships on TV that I get tired of them. That and it’s just interesting to me to see different types of relationships.

I know this is an older post but I think it's cause TV (and like.. media in general, kinda) is bad at portraying healthy straight relationships. most of the time it's forced and boring, or it's just straight up unhealthy for one or both parties. By comparison, gay relationships seem much more appealing (if the characters, yknow, stay alive :mlp_wat:)

I'm all for romantic relationships, personally. I'm asexual so simply having someone to be around is enough for me, but I can be fairly content outside of a relationship. I've had my fair share of pretty bad ones so I'm happy to be in a good one now

• Brohoof 1