Do you ever call somebody by their Last name?

Invincible

It depends on the situation. I normally call someone by their first name, unless I am hanging out with some of my friends who have the same first name. And if I'm meeting a friend's parent's or, being at an interview. Unless they say , "Please call me, (Insert first name here)"

Edited by Scootaloo Is Best Filly

Here in Holland we do call others by their last name sometimes. We usually say it formally to other people like during meetings or speeches, but it's also used between friends in a more joking or casual way.

Nope. As far as I can recall, I don't generally do that.

Yeah, in high school I had a friend with the same first name as me so I called him by his last name.

Things could get confusing otherwise because in one class I took in 9th grade there were 4 of us with the same first name!

You must be a John or something.

When i'm trying to get someone's attention i'll shout their last name at them, but apart from that no

• Brohoof 1

Here in the United States, if you are not on a 1st name basis with someone in 5 minutes flat, it is because they are mad at you.  (I exaggerate -but not by much).  In England, Holmes & Watson were roommates & friends for years & still used last names. 

In taekwondo class we always refer to anyone who is an adult and/or at the rank of 1st degree black belt decided or higher using their last name (i.e., Mr./Mrs. X). Occasionally, we just say the last name without any prefix by the way of being slightly less formal. 

This formality is more out of tradition than anything else. The taekwondo school I go to is really chill and fun-loving. And I'm blessed to be going to one like this, because I've heard stories about taekwondo schools that are ran more like military bootcamp than anything else.

If you're Chinese, your surname becomes the only name you have. And it's hilarious when there's two by the same name. I call some of my Malay friends by their surname, cause some people just have more memorable surnames.

I use to be a junior U.S. Air Force cadet, so I would never call the others by their first name even ones I was close to.... now I only call my friends by their last name if we are just messing around somehow....

though I still answer to someone calling me by my last name or my OC's last name.... hell i'll answer if someone calls me by my OC's first name

I have two good friends I call by their surnames. Even when their parents are around we always call them by it, although they understand who we would be talking about by now. I call one by his surname 'Fowler' and the other 'Crawford'. 

Edit: Sometimes people call me Doug, which is short for my surname Douglas. Although that was more when I was younger, only a few people call me by that nowadays.

Edited by Vinyl Scratch (Filly)™

I had to giggle at this one. Ive not used my first name in 25 years.  Even before the Army I was in a class with 5 guys that all had the same name as a result we all started using our last name and after high school it stuck, joining to the Army no first names where used (except paper work).  

One of my close friends who's kids have known me from birth, are now 15 years old and the oldest didnt know my first name untill i "Friended" him on Facebook. (coicidently so I could send him MLP Links).

When I was in high school I did it all the time and a few years after that. Now I can't think of anyone I call by their last name. To me it's just whatever that person prefers to be called.

A lot actually. 

And I feel it has something to do with my culture/upbringing. In the area of Australia I live in, it's very common for people to call others by their last name. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There's only one person I can think of who I called by his last name. I did it because he asked others to only call him by his last name (I suppose he didn't like his first name).

1st name is more friendly, last name is more formal.

That's the way I see it, but I don't like things to be too formal, otherwise things get a little rigid.

All depends on the time and place, really. Generally addressing higher-ups I'll call them Mr.__ /Mrs.__, etc. 

As I said earlier, I prefer things to be more casual. I don't see much point in being so serious and strictly professional. When I want to talk to someone I like to do it in a relaxed atmosphere. Though, if your friends use it as a nickname, well, you can't really get more casual than that! ^_^

I've never referred to anyone by only their last name before, but then again; I don't address people by their name often anyway. I usually just walk up and greet them without use of names.