Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Generation Do You Think Is Worst?

Lunar Glow

Can someone explain the difference between G3 and G3.5?

How I see it:

G3 - The movie series. It also contains more than seven main characters like Minty, Star Wishes, Kimono.

G3.5 - The one after that, the short films. The main characters were down to seven, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Toola Roola, Starsong, Cherilee, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo.

G3.5(2nd) - Not much difference from the last. Just like a younger version of them.

G3 (Newborn Cuties) - Still have the same seven main characters as the last two, but this is them younger (babies). It have the worst animation among the whoooole G3 (the whole MLP to be honest). Though I have only watched one episodes.

I diffrenciate them by the tv show. I can't say about the toy though.

Many people say the first G3.5 is G3.5 but I prefer it this way. If there is anything unclear, you may ask me to re eplain c:

----

To answer to the topic, for a reason I really feel uncomfortable to explain here, I think I dislike G4 the most. Though I haven't watched MLP Tales yet.

I've watched very little G1 and none of G3. I've seen G3.5 and can't stand it. The only good thing about it is the voice talent. The writing and animation are terrible and everything just feels like an extended commercial.

• Brohoof 1

I'm defending G3, as it was made to compliment the toys, providing just enough of personalities on the show for kids to expand upon when the got the figures, it's a product of it's time and it layed the foundations for G4. Plus it had stand out episodes like A very Minty Christmas & Twinkle Wish adventure, competent voice acting, no one was phoning it in, and a nice musical score complete with aesthetically pleasing animation & visuals for it's time. 

3.5. Do I need to say any more? I feel sorry for G3 getting bashed by association. 

But... 

However, I'll make a good case for G2, or My Little Pony Tales. Heck, Tommy Oliver does that for me here.

This...really makes me question the morals that this era of the show presented.

This. G3 maybe overtly simplistic & girlish, but at worst, it's mundane and ineffectual. G2 provides negative morals, poorer voice acting, animation & music then G3, and it does very little with it's fantasy setting. Heck, it goes out of it's way to feeling like our world, issues and all. Just with ponies. 

Edited by Denim&Venom
  • Brohoof 3

As a kid I actually remember seeing and using the different toys, I never watched the shows, and I hated the generation 2 ponies. They were always too tall and unstable. This problem is enhanced by the ponies never containing moving parts or ways to regain balance. The lack of balance in many figures like regular action figures and barbies was just too frustrating. I grew up with Generation 3 so I probably have a bias against the animated series.

All of the G3-bashing (and including saying that it being girly makes it bad) and referring to My Little Pony Tales as G2, ITT.

giphy.gif

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on whether you're talking about the toys or the show/movies.

For the toys, I'd say G4 for sure. Not only are they small compared to past generations, the quality and variation just went downhill. In G1-G3, the ponies were larger and had more characters to collect. They had hair that wasn't terrible coming out of the packaging, and the backcards had beautiful art and descriptions of the ponies. Not to mention they had many types of ponies. Regular, So-Soft, Twinkle Eye, you name it.

But nowadays, we're just getting the same ponies over and over again. Yes, we occasionally see a few others pop up here and there, but it's mostly about the Mane 6. We do get several variations of each character, but it's always the same ponies. The toys are smaller, the hair looks awful as soon as it comes out of the packaging, and often we're just getting the same thing over and over again, just with different colors. Not to mention all of the ponies are in the same pose. As a collector, I don't approve much of the G4 toys. I don't hate them, I just wish they had more effort put into them.

As for the media side of the franchise, Generation 4 is the best. It has good character development for the most part, and each character stands out in a different way. In the past generations, just about every character was the same. Sure, they had different interests, but they all acted the same over certain situations. The animation in G4 is also just so much better. It's sleeker, more colorful, and has more detail than past generations.

• Brohoof 1

G 3.5 is my least favorite, and I'm glad that it did not last long. Many people dislike G3, and I have to admit that looking back now, there are some cringeworthy aspects. However, I loved the G3 movies and merchandise as a kid, and it has a special place in my heart because it inspired my creativity and imagination as a youngster. ^^ I still have every single one of those pony figures and remember Pinkie Pie being my first one.

• Brohoof 1

G3 and G3.5 based on what I've seen and/or heard from other people. And don't even get me started on the ones with the babies...

As the matter of fact, I think G3, G3.5 and the Newborn "Cuties" are so horrible that it stained the franchise as a whole and led many to believe MLP is universally a "girly show for little girls" (which even pissed Lauren off when someone asked her a question that referred to non-target audience MLP:FiM fans as "sexually repressed manchildren"). No wonder MLP fans are getting bullied over simply liking it.  :dry:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Probably Generation 3.5 since a lot of people have said the same thing. From the snippets that I've seen it, it's no wonder most would rather disavow any knowledge of its existence.

• 1 month later...

wow im reading all the replies about G3.5 and holly molly  :blink:

i already saw some photos before and i didnt like its designs. but woah also shallow plots and personalities? thats too much xD

The only good thing about generation 3 was that if it wasn't as horrifyingly terrible as it was, Hasbro might not have called in Lauren Faust to try and salvage the franchise, and we might not have gotten FIM.  So thank you Gen 3 for being so horrendous that they had to hire someone to try and save the franchise from your horribleness.

haha thats true. we have to thank it then

Depends on whether you're talking about the toys or the show/movies.

For the toys, I'd say G4 for sure. Not only are they small compared to past generations, the quality and variation just went downhill. In G1-G3, the ponies were larger and had more characters to collect. They had hair that wasn't terrible coming out of the packaging, and the backcards had beautiful art and descriptions of the ponies.

Not to mention they had many types of ponies. Regular, So-Soft, Twinkle Eye, you name it. But nowadays, we're just getting the same ponies over and over again. Yes, we occasionally see a few others pop up here and there, but it's mostly about the Mane 6. We do get several variations of each character, but it's always the same ponies. 

The toys are smaller, the hair looks awful as soon as it comes out of the packaging, and often we're just getting the same thing over and over again, just with different colors. Not to mention all of the ponies are in the same pose. 

As a collector, I don't approve much of the G4 toys. I don't hate them, I just wish they had more effort put into them.

As for the media side of the franchise, Generation 4 is the best. It has good character development for the most part, and each character stands out in a different way. In the past generations, just about every character was the same. Sure, they had different interests, but they all acted the same over certain situations. The animation in G4 is also just so much better. It's sleeker, more colorful, and has more detail than past generations.

woah i agree so much with G4 Toys being the worst. it amazes me how cheap the plastic looks, and how they have that poorly hair that's almos inexistent. Also lots doesnt look like the designs on the show.

recently i've seen they're kinda rebooting the toyline tho. and now it looks so much better. more faithful to the designs, more hair, some are bigger.. plus nicer packages and colour schemes. also now we have the guardians of harmony line focused more in action and its pretty well done

post-37393-0-67215800-1468385361.jpeg

here the new brushable design:

15894628_10154933778653711_2870760655443

i found a video comparing old vs new, but the one making the video loves the old ones and bashes the new haha

Edited by Tropico
  • Brohoof 1

I haven't seen past gen animations, but by what people say, it's G3; specially the Newborn Cuties. Commercially though, it was definitely G2; it deviated too much of small ponies and they were less appealing full-sized horses. Why it's in fact the worst? Three reasons:

1-Lasted the least (about two years)

2-Didn't had an animation

3-Most people mistake MLP Tales (still G1) belonging to G2, I mean, if it was so forgettable that is so mistaken for a previos gen, we had a problem :dash:  

As far as programming goes, I believe G4 to be the best: solid, believable characters, easy to identify with, easy to learn lessons and apply them to life. It took me quite a while to warm up to the animation as it's such a deviation from the original, which is what I grew up on. The ponies don't really resemble horses or ponies all that much, they look more like dogs or cats upon first glance. Learning that Lauren Faust (from PowerPuff Girls) was in charge of the design helped me be able to appreciate its beauty.

For content, I feel that previous generations don't stand the test of time. I tried watching My Pony Tales as an adult but couldn't. It was too annoying. The clips that I've seen of G1 don't fare much better and G3 is the most empty for me. I will always have a soft spot for the early shows because I have fond, foggy memories of colorful ponies and a simpler time in my life. Plus, I love that theme song. But they have zero rewatchability for me.

Interestingly enough, I like G3 pony toys the best, followed by G1. G2 toys resemble the knock-offs of other generations (to me). And the Hasbro G4 ponies are my least favorite. They don't resemble the animation or ponies or previous generations. That being said, G4 has brought about some awesome toys from Funko and We Love Fine. Previous generations didn't have the benefit of the internet to drive niche toys.

Edited by LuminaraRose
  • Brohoof 1

I just watched an episode of g 3.5 and I ALMOST HAD A HEART ATTACK  :o_o:  :o_o:  :o_o: THEIR FACES ARE TOO SCARY xD thanks god i watched it with a bronies react and i laughed soooooo much 

its just surreal

here's a snippet from the episode i watched (with the party parts edited to make it longer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqCJYnkjXH4

the sound that sounds (huh) when they zoom in scootaloo's head is real. not edited. i almost cry laughing here xDDDDDDDD

Edited by Tropico