Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is something you want to be good at?

FadedSkies

I really want to be able to animate. Anything, be it ponies or people. Animation has been a big interest of mine, but I can't draw anything well or have the patience to spend hours on a 2 second segment of a simple video :lol:

I also wish I was better at Football (Soccer) but you can't be good at everything :(  

• Brohoof 1

Engineering in general. I'm /ok/ with the coursework at the moment, but I don't think my GPA will agree with that once I get into my upper division courses... I also still lack confidence with it, despite the fact that my dad kept telling me that a degree will get me a job easily.. Yeah, like this world isn't competitive at all.

• Brohoof 2

Wow, so many people in this thread want to be good at drawing/art.  I guess I'm lucky that I'm naturally good at drawing.  But I've always wished I could be a good singer.  Acting would be fun too, I think.  Basically, I wish I could be the performing type, but it's kind of the opposite of my personality, really.  I'd love to be able to play an instrument really well, too.  But if I could wish for one talent, it would singing.

• Brohoof 4

Seems like everyone wants to draw. Sadly, it doesn't come in a shot that you can draw good. You need practice, tons of practice. It's like playing guitar; you won't be able to play some Metallica after only one week for sure.

For me? Well, I actually play guitar and I'm pretty good. But I can't learn the basics!!! And I don't know why! D:

• Brohoof 1

Programmimg. I'm going to go straight to Python. :)

I'm mostly self taught so welcome to the greatest sandbox in history. :D

ids = iddict.keys()
ids.sort()
Ahhh Python ... clean and flexible syntax that is really intuitive. Best of all ... it's not Perl. Please ... please don't touch Perl if you are just learning.

Jokes asside, PM me if you want resources and direction on it.

• Brohoof 1

I want to be good at tactics and making plans, it would help me improve other areas I want to be better at, and I could be hell at any game I play. I'm already evil, so it would be really cool if I became an evil mastermind.

There are plenty of things. But I'll just name a few.

I would like to be able to draw better. I'm not the worst, but I'm faaaaaar from good.

I would love to be a bad-ass free runne. I'm good at climbing and I'm quite nimble, but I'm very lazy and out of condition. (Self knowledge FTW!)

I would also love to be able to play the violin. I tried lessons once, but I never practiced, because, lazy. That said, I would love to be able to play most instruments.

I also wish I was more of a handy-man, but I suck at it.

That's it for now, I guess. There are, of course, plenty more things, but I'm content with this list.

There are a few things I've wanted to be really good at.

I want to improve my drawing/painting skills.

(A little bit more painting than drawing) 

I've also always wanted to make my own dubstep/electric/edm music...  :derp: 

Following those, I want to know how to play the piano the correct way, as well as guitar, violin and cello. <3

Somehow improve my singing voice a little bit, and be better with computers and shutff. >u<

Edited by PrincessWubsy~
  • Brohoof 1

Commentationating. (Live game commentary)

I wanna be able to speak up more, last longer during recordings, and be more clever with the things I say or bring up. So many times during an attempted recording, have I completely messed up and ruined the entire thing. :P I guess even talking to myself is a hard task!

Similarly, video editing.

Rather than simply putting the video and audio together in my video editor and leaving it at that, I'd like to be more creative during the editing process. Not sure what I could do exactly, but I think I'll figure it out in time. I even got myself Movie Studio so I have the freedom to do such things as these. :)

• Brohoof 1

Well, there's hardly anything I'm good at... Lol. Maybe academic writing, but why kind of talent is that? *sigh*

I've always wanted to be a better musician. I've chalked it up to a lack of extensive practicing (the reasons for such over the years are varied), but I'm really not so sure. Even after a lot of practicing, I can't nail passages successfully multiple times over. That just really doesn't make being a performer feasible...

I also wish I could draw better. Apparently when I was really young I had some degree of talent for drawing, and even won some awards... However, in middle school I realized my limitations. I still kept up a long-term story up until about early 2009. However, my limitations never improved, and recently I tried to draw again and I felt even worse and more limited. =(

notes and almost perfictly the voice you couldent believe it was coming out of him he was a good bet boxer with good range untill he smoked weed now its too deep

That's pretty cool, And yeah beatboxers can get some pretty good range with that. 

Although it doesn't garentee good singing or anything, but yeah.

Well, making videogames. I have great ideas, just none of the skill to build a game from the ground up. Meh, it's a stupid dream really since I bet I'll get based by parents saying that I'm corrupting their children. Though in truth, I really don't give a care anymore.

Seems like everyone wants to draw. Sadly, it doesn't come in a shot that you can draw good. You need practice, tons of practice. It's like playing guitar; you won't be able to play some Metallica after only one week for sure.

For me? Well, I actually play guitar and I'm pretty good. But I can't learn the basics!!! And I don't know why! D:

What do you mean by learning the basics? How can you be good, but not be good at the basics? That's confusing o-o. 

What exactly would you consider the basics for that matter?

I'm just curious, i don't really know a ton about guitar, i've only been teaching myself for like a month, and I still have a long ways to go before I'm anything close to good, but yeah ;p.

I want to be able to yodel. I don't know why, it just sounds awesome.

Yodeling sounds fun, but I feel like it would get on a lot of peoples nerves after a while ;p.

I've always wanted to have a decent singing voice, but it just hasn't turned out that way. Hmm... I guess it doesn't really matter how much practice I get, I still suck at it a whole lot!  :lol:

Hm. Don't give up! If you really want to be good it takes quite a bit of effort. 

Maybe you just need to practice more efficiently, or look into some tips, maybe there are things you just need to focus on more actively while singing, while you can just sing and improve to an extent, there are things you have to actively try and improve for, until they become more natural.

I could give a few tips, I already have earlier, but again I'm no expert for sure, infact i'm still only half decent in my own opinion(I don't have a high opinion of myself but regardless.) I've never taken any lessons either, just looked up tips and gathered tips from others and the internet and what not.

But having the right technique certainly helps. After that it just requires a lot of practice ;p.

But I think everyone can eventually learn to sing. I mean, I was absolutely terrible when I first started ;p.

• Brohoof 1

Drawing. I have all these ideas and I can just envision it before it's drawn - exactly how I want it to look, what I want it to mean - but I can't keep a steady hand because I'm too shaky and I'm too much of a perfectionist for my own good at times, so I just get frustrated and quit :please:

• Brohoof 2

What do you mean by learning the basics? How can you be good, but not be good at the basics?

The basics are chords, reading music. All of this, I can't do it. Because of this, I have a hard time playing "easy" stuff like jhonny cash or random pop music. Instead, I find it easier to play complex stuff becaue it is not repetitive. It was the same thing for the bass when I played in the school band. I was playing by ear, all year long, until I failed at the exam.

I don't know why it's this way for me, but I'm struggling to learn the basics right now.

Edit: Every music teachers are astonished at first at my technique and how I learn a song quickly. I'm usually used as a backup lol.

Edited by GhostPony750
  • Brohoof 1

I wanna be a really awesome video game developer.

Me too. Videogame developing is where it's at. Sadly, I don't have education to do so. I've also wanted to do meteorology but I need high math for that, trig and calc to be specific. I guess drawing is a more reachable goal.

The basics are chords, reading music. All of this, I can't do it. Because of this, I have a hard time playing "easy" stuff like jhonny cash or random pop music. Instead, I find it easier to play complex stuff becaue it is not repetitive. It was the same thing for the bass when I played in the school band. I was playing by ear, all year long, until I failed at the exam.

I don't know why it's this way for me, but I'm struggling to learn the basics right now.

Edit: Every music teachers are astonished at first at my technique and how I learn a song quickly. I'm usually used as a backup lol.

Ah ok, that makes sense. So you kind of just learn by watching and listening, instead of someone showing you music, or a guitar tab, or something, or telling you it's this chord and this chord ect.

That makes sense I guess. I don't have issues with reading music as far as reading standard music goes, i'm still not great at reading guitar tabs, but I kind of learned to somewhat. 

I can read like sheet music probably, since I play Trumpet in band at my school, so I read music all the time. But I also do stuff by ear on my Trumpet sometimes, after some struggling I can usually figure stuff out on Trumpet, on guitar though i'm not quite used to it enough ;p.

I've learned like a handful of guitar chords maybe, but while I know some guitar chords, I still have to practice a lot with the technique of actually playing them one after the other and switching between them all while keeping proper technique.

So yeah, i'm still pretty novice lol. I suppose I know some basics, but I certainly need more work. Of course i've only been playing for like a month, so I guess i can't expect to much.

Do you have like perfect pitch or something? Or just really good relative pitch? Because playing stuff by ear isn't something everyone can do. Well, I guess to an extent anyone can, but it'll certainly take some a lot more fiddling around to get it.

Regardless, that makes things make sense more. So thanks for the clarification! And good luck!

• Brohoof 1