Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Where were you when 9/11 happened?

Moved to Elsewhere

I was in my apartment. Wife had just gone to work, I worked afternoon shifts, so I had nothing to do. Went to my computer, got online onto one of my favourite chats, and one of my buddies there immediately told me that a plane had flown into the World Trade Center.

I have no idea where I was when 9/11 happened because I was only 1 year old at the time. I live in Ireland, so my timezone is GMT, therefore we are five hours ahead of the US. It was the afternoon here, so I guess I was either asleep or my mom was taking me for a walk. I have no idea, and my mom doesn't remember either. :/

I was in gym class when it happened.  I was in the sixth grade at the time.  I remember seeing the gym teacher and our class teacher talking seriously.  I thought we were in trouble for something. When when we got back to class we were told about it.  I didn't really understand because I had no idea what the Pentagon and the WTC were, but when I saw some of the other kids crying (we were near D.C. so some of their parents worked at the Pentagon, though fortunately none of them were hurt) was when I started worrying.  If D.C. was under attack then maybe my mom, who worked in D.C., wasn't safe.  My worry wasn't helped by the stupid rumors some of the kids started spreading.  But I made it through the day and realized my mom was fine.  She had been in an elevator at another government building and felt the building shake. It was a couple of months of rumors of more attacks and general fear.  I did my best to ignore it all, because I was very anxious even as a child, but I eventually learned what happened.

I don't remember. I was only 5 or 6 years old when 9/11 happened so my parents did their best to shield me from the knowledge of the event, which I am thankful for. It was nice to have a period early on in my life when I didn't have to deal with knowing how horrible this world is. 

I think I ended up learning about 9/11 when I was somewhere in between 10 and 12 years old. I didn't see any of the videos or anything until 2 or 3 years after that. I'm 18 now and as horrible as 9/11 is it's one horrible event out of thousands and thousands I know about and/or have experienced.

I seem to remember sitting on the floor in front of the fireplace watching the screen with my parents, not fully understanding what was happening - how seirous it was, and that people were truly dying. Watched the tower collapse. It was certainly interesting, to say the least.

Edited by IcyHaze

I was in my room doing school work and mom called us all into the room where the computer was and she was like "we got bombed" and i saw the twin towers on fire and I was shocked. i was 14 i think?

I was nothing but 6 years old starting my first day of first grade. With my mom's job only being a few blocks away from the towers, she evacuated, came home and I was told about everything that had happened, which practically traumatized me, and instilled the fear of planes in me, even to this day.

Edited by JRex95

I was just 4 years old when the events of the 9/11 happened,but,from what I do remember,me and my family were at my house like normal,with my parents talking and me playing with my toys.

My memory fails me a lot about that period of my life.

I was 14, had just arrived at school (we didn't listen to the radio that morning) to a bunch of chaos as my classmates had all already heard about it. It was shortly after the Pentagon was hit when I found out what was going on. Remember calling my Dad, not sure why, just because it was crazy news. We live in Calgary, Alberta so no where near all of this. 

That evening we went and saw Spy Kids in a discount theater, remember seeing there was an evening edition of the Calgary Herald in news boxes with a thick black border and the sign for the local mall acknowledged the news as well on the drive to the theater. Later that week at school our Social Studies class was focused on reading news stories about it and I got in trouble for focusing on the entertainment section and all the movies that were post-poned because of the news. Collateral Damage and a Tim Allen comedy I can't recall the name of were both delayed. The first because it revolved around a terrorist attack and the second because at some point a plane is hijacked. I found this interesting but my teacher thought it insensitive and I got a talking to. I frame all sorts of events through my movie obsession and I guess that isn't normal but I just got hooked on film facts young.

I was near 9 years old, I was in the school, but that day let us go to home early, when I arrive to my home I remember that a tower was burning, the first airplane had crashed, but here the TV news was saying had been a little plane, other TV News was saying had been a fire, when suddenly a American Airlines airplane crashes with the other tower, that was the most perturbing becouse it was in live.

I'm sorry for your country and the people whom lost their life in that catastrophe.

Edited by Samuelsky

I was being a very cool but ignorant duck somewhere far away from America. I didn't even know it happened until years later. What an ignorant duck I was.

Edited by Starlight Glimmer

I was only about four and a half, so my memory is spotty at best. I think all I remember was seeing the North Tower on TV shortly after the Flight 11 crash (pretty much as the coverage just began) before my mom took me out of the room.

Edited by RCTM

I was 5, so all I can remember is that my siblings and I didn't get to watch PBS because mom was watching the news and crying almost all day.  She kept calling dad because he was Air Force and she was scared his work would be a target too.