Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Physical Attractiveness or Personality?

Vox

For me, I value physical attraction and personality. Both go hand in hand in a serious relationship. Except I value personality more because I've found in the past that personality is one of the most attractive parts to a human being.

• Brohoof 3

Personality is absolutely the most important. You can think all you like about physical attraction, but when you really fall in love with someone for who they actually are it is a really magical feeling, and physical crushes just feel like nothing.

Nevertheless, I don't want to say that there is no value to physical attraction. Just, from my experience, physical attraction can grow after loving someone for their personality, so I look for personality.

• Brohoof 2

Personality, of course.  No contest.  You can be friends with a deformed hunchback who's really nice.  The same cannot be said of a paragon of celestial beauty who's an a**hole.  When it comes to a romantic partner, though, I could not be with someone I wasn't attracted to.  I need both, really.  Sorry if that sounds shallow.  Appearance doesn't matter to me when it's just a friend, but a sexual relationship is different.  But of course similar personality traits are far more important.

If I'm going to be in a relationship, I rather him be perfectly groomed and know how to take care of himself. Its human nature that we like attractive things, so I'm not going to sugar coat it when I say I like attractive men. Does that make me bad? Not at all! Why? Because attractive people can have beautiful personalities as well. :)

So if you want a straight forward opinion, I like both in a boy.

• 6 months later...

Even if they looked like the man or woman of my dreams, if their personality isn't compatible with mine (i.e. we have nothing in common, or they're too aggressive or mean), it's just not going to work. Though I do find it easier to feel affectionate if they look cute/attractive as well, but personality also impacts on that, so I care more about how they wear their appearance than if they're naturally physically cute/attractive or not.

Personality is always first and foremost for me. I mean, yes, physical attraction is important, but it only goes so far. The real driving force behind relationships is compatibility, and that's where personality comes into play. I would rather have someone who is as sweet as can be opposed to someone who looks like they should be modeling.

Personality is crucial to relationships and your attitude. Your own self confidence is a huge aspect as well. If your deemed of having a negative and boring personality trust me it will push away others. Working on your own self confidence and trying to have a positive state of mind can be hard sometimes but I try to look up to others and listen to their advice when it comes to keeping a positive state of mind.

• Brohoof 1

I'd rather get to know a person's personality before I get to see them in person really. Appearance is something really silly, it's the traits a person has that make them unique, not the standards by which we measure "physical attractiveness". That being said, I can't really say much about it since I've never really experienced any feelings of love/being in love towards somebody except for one person who had a great personality. She wasn't necessarily popular or one of the prettiest but she had something about her that drew me in.

I'd say it depends on how you react. I'd say it's like an addiction. Whether it is because of the personality or the body, either way, I do believe both are needed unless you're blind in which cases personality is far far superior.

Call me shallow, but I find physical attractiveness to be more important. That's not to say that personality isn't important. I believe a personality you like and a compatibility of personalities is incredibly important. The way I see it, though is like this: if two people had the exact same personality which was very compatible to mine, but one was hot and one wasn't and I only met one of them in this specific scenario, if I met the unattractive person, I wouldn't end up going out with them. If I met the attractive one, I would. Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean they have to be super hot or anything. But if you're not attracted to them, how are you gonna have sex? Like I said, that might sound shallow, but it's just how I feel. I couldn't do it with someone I wasn't physically attracted to, no matter how great a personality they had. Overall, though, I say I'd need to be compatible with both. Looks without personality makes an emotional connection suffer and personality without looks makes the physical connection suffer. However, I feel like there's this almost conditioned response to this kind of question. Like people are expected to say that personality matters more. And to some people, it does. However, I don't think that putting a high value on physical attractiveness makes a person shallow. But I don't think it's a bad thing to consider both. It just comes down to what an individual needs. And my individual needs are that I need someone I won't be grossed out by when things start to get physical. And, again, keep in mind, these are just my opinions and my personal requirements. I'm not saying anyone else has to hold themselves to this standard. Rather, I think everyone ought to hold themselves and their partners to a standard that they feel comfortable with.

• Brohoof 3

Since I'm quite perfectionist, and pretty picky about looks, I can only say that personality is what is the most important in the long run but physical attractiveness is what counts first :/

• Brohoof 1