• June
    • July
    • August
    • September
    • October
    • November
    • December
  2. 2. What year did you join the herd?

August of 2011.  Back then, I was new to Garry's Mod, but I still had yet to create a Gmod video.  I managed to catch a Gmod video involving the Soldier and Pinkie Pie and I discovered that someone took the My Little Pony characters and put them into Garry's Mod.

Sometime in february. I posted this in my intro thread but a fellow goon drew it and it accurately depicts how I fell in love with the show.

img-1518-1-HZq7k.png

This is exactly how I felt in May 2012. At first I was rather hesitant to watch it, what with it being a children's show but at the continued insistance of an old friend, I decided to give it a shot. And from episode 1 onwards, I felt nothing but love and joy from watching it <3 Each episode teaching something new about friendship and morality was something absolutely refreshing.

It was close to the end of season three, so I was able to catch up and watch the finale.  

I owe my brony status to The Living Tombstone's remix of the song "Discord" by Eurobeat Brony.  When I first heard it in the GMod Musical Collab 2, I thought it was spelled Dischord, but I looked at the song and thought that he would be an interesting villain.  Just to see what Discord was all about, I watched the first two episodes of season 2, and I was surprised at how good they were.  I then started watching episodes from the beginning, and when I was done I admitted to myself that I was a brony.

• Brohoof 1

I Was Out Shopping Cane Across The MLP Section And I Was Like "Huh, Interesting"

I Got Home Watched The First Episode

*2 Hours Later*

"SWEET CELESTIA THAT WAS AWESOME"

July 2011, it was after a pretty massive flame-war on a forum I used to post on. I got a permanent ban from it for use of the word 'faggot'. Just to clarify, the use of the word wasn't from my perspective, an admin on a GMOD server banned me, the only ban message I got was 'faggot.

I'm not sure when exactly, but I do remember how.

My anti-brony friend was looking up pictures of Rainbow Dash and making fun of Bronies saying stuff like 'I jack off to these guys every day.' dry.png. Anyway, after a while I got curious and decided to watch the first episode. That's how.

I became one in July. The reason being because I had to watch over my little sister alot in the Summer, and during lunch we would watch TV. We would alternate in picking what to watch, and she would always pick MLP. After a couple episodes, (I think MMMystery on the Friendship Express was my first) I was kinda hooked. I started "letting" her pick the show more and more often just to watch it. Prior to that, I had no real knowledge of the show except maybe seeing a couple of memes on the internet

I started watching the show on June 1st 2013 and to my suprise I liked it, but I was not a brony then, ony after finishing season 1 and 2 I decided I was a brony and I do not care about the opinions of other people. (Brony from June 8th-present).

• 2 weeks later...

So what I am asking is simply "What event made you become a Brony"? Or if it were a series of events, and perhaps if you care to share that journey to where you are now.

My story started a few years ago, my parents shipped me out to live with my aunt and her (at the time) three daughters. Well there came a day the show was on, it was the wedding episode I believe. Completely captivated I sat there with those girls and watched. 

It wasn't until I moved to the town I live in I saw the show again. I made a friend and they introduced me to their friends. It was great! I blacksmithed with one, I video gamed with two, I sat and talked with another.I never had a clue, until I saw a picture on one of their phones. It was their OC, i had no problem with it and so they in turn asked me to come watch with them. I had been unknowingly listening to music with the one I talked to for weeks, between everything (and the show being awesome) I became interested. I slowly worked my way into the community (mostly understanding it at first), and here I am!

Have at it Friends!

I was on Youtube once.

I saw how someone hated a 'brony'.

After that I searched the term up on Google and saw that the bronies loved a kids show.

I had nothing to do, so I watched an episode of that on Youtube. (The one where they wanted to make a tornado to get water up to Cloudscale. Don't remember the name.)

"Hm... this ain't bad. It's actually quite enjoyable!" I thought. And then I watched every single episode. And I enjoyed every second of it.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It happened in the opening of the Cutie Pox episode. At that point, I had already watched a couple of episodes, but I wouldn't call myself a brony at that point. I enjoyed them, but they were more out of curiosity to see what all the hub-bub was about.

Anyway, when they entered the bowling alley, my thoughts we along the line of "Heh, bowling. Heh, The Big Lebowski".

Literally one second after I thought that:

BigLebowskiPonies.jpg

And I was all like:

jon-stewart-mind-blown.gif

Edited by CITRUS KING46

I was with some of my friends and they mentioned a My Little Pony show. "There's a show?!" I asked. I had collected a ton of the 3rd gen toys and made intricate stories with them (as well as some of the 2nd gen toys when I was really little) into my high school years. I still loved MLP. But I had never known about any of the previous shows.

So technically I was a "Brony" before I even watched the show. My friends explained bronies to me and I was like "Awesome, there's a name for people like me!" Then at my graduation party these friends found the Hub on Demand on my TV and played a few episodes. My first episode was A Dog and Pony Show, then Green Isn't Your Color. I fell in love with the show, which I had been expecting, but I couldn't have guessed how AMAZING it was!

And then it all escalated from there. ^^

~Leafy

-----

Hi there. This is just a heads-up that I've merged your thread with this one due to their similarities.

When thinking about making a thread, please use the search function beforehand~

March 2011. Saw it on 4chan. Blew through the series up to that point (a dog and pony show was the first one i watched live), and then regularly started hanging out in yari's synchtube (rip in peace), then from there found EQD, and from there found Ponychan (rip in peace)

December 2010, I watched Winter Wrap up as my first episode. Was hooked instantly I then went back and watched from teh beginning, by that time "Call Of The Cutie" was out. I've become more and more involved in the fandom since then, including hosting MLP panels at conventions.

(edited)

It happened about a little over a year ago, I think.
Around mid 2011, I started noticing these weird MLP-related memes, posts and stuff. I didn't really pay any attention to them at first, but throughout the months that followed all this pony crap grew increasingly unavoidable, and I ran into it in every corner of the internet. 

It was like someone had spread feces around your bedroom walls; It's disgusting, annoying, and you just can't help but wonder what happened and where it came from.

So, after months of battling my curiosity, I gave in, and checked out the very first episode - "Friendship is Magic - Part 1"
As soon as I heard the first few chords of the opening theme, I just had to pause that shit. 
There was NO WAY I was gonna get through it with my masculinity intact.
After idly sitting there for about 10 minutes, I finally managed to gather all the plentiful balls that I needed to get through the opening.
As we all know, the episode ended in a cliffhanger, and I literally shouted out loud:
"YOU ARE SERIOUSLY NOT GOING TO MAKE ME WATCH ANOTHER EPISODE OF THIS SHIT TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS?!"
That's exactly what I did.
I watched "Friendship Is Magic - Part 2", and then " The Ticket Master", followed by "Applebuck Season""Griffon The Brush-Off", and, by the time I got to "Sonic Rainboom", I was hooked.

Edited by Sickman

In middle school I noticed that lots of kids in my grade were bronies and there was even an after school brony club. I didn't pay much attention at first and just considered it as weird. During my first year in High School one of my friends talked about ponies alot and tried to get me to watch the show. I said that I would later on but never did. One day he was listening to music from the show on the bus and convinced me to listen, I thought the music was pretty good for a kid's show and found some songs really catchy, especially Cupcakes! I went home that night and looked up the first episode on Youtube, been hooked ever since. It got me interested enough to finish two seasons and 3 episodes in a week. I finished my marathon by the time One Bad Apple was released so I was officially a brony in NOVEMBER!! Surprisingly, that's my actual birthday month, so YAY!!!

• Brohoof 1

I am a deep into the Fighting Games and into the FGC (fighting game community), I was no close to anything close to MLP, I showed some weakness against super cute things like Sonic's Chaos or puppies or... well ladies but nothing out of the ordinary.

Surfing the sources of videos and news of the FGC I stumble across the Fighting Is Magic project, as many of the subjects in the community my first reaction was WTF WHY YOU PASTEL HORSES IN MY GAMES?!!!! you know the stuff but I like to be critic and objective so I gave set some serious eyes on the project. To my surprise the game looked very good, the characters had unique set of moves, the mechanics of the game were very well applied and the character looked charming. I was like “woa woa woa who the hell is doing this and why” the answer was found soon after “Fans” people who liked this cartoon show for little girls was making this... no profit intended... just passion??? Too good to be true right...

For some time I was reluctant to the idea, the brony legends of the INTERNET were also too over of the top to believe but The game was good, legit good, and for all the time a group of people just mash into creating something this good...WHY? I finally decided to watch the show starting with EP 1 and 2... I must be true I didn't like em too corny and close to what I expected, yet the world was “interesting” the goddess moving the moon and sky, the possibilities of legends beyond that one of the “Mare in the moon” so I kept watching, EP 3 was a lot better and then the otheres wen between good and ok, the songs were catching and the character grew up in me, soon I was looking for more and discovered how explosively creative the fandom is.

I tried something I always wanted, show the ideas in my mind to others, I got commissions in DA and started writing my own ideas, soon later the RP stuff grew in me giving in exchange lots of fun and awesome people I now consider as friends, distance doesn't matter.

Thats my story sadly it didn't worked as I wanted, while the people and ponies are awesome the same project that got me into this got shot down, if I was not in the fandom I wouldn't care, I would have play the new product and test it out, but now that my heart has a cuttie mark engraved deep, I really would like to buck all your tails with Applejack on on line battles... *sigh*

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I joined the herd just last month, I was in a severely bad mental state, and I decided that hey I'll go check this My Little Pony stuff out. And now it's my favorite show on television, even beating my favorite sitcom, the Big Bang Theory.

I liked it because of the fact that friendship is valued in a land like Equestria, but on Earth it seems not to be.

I also gopt hooked by Rainbow Dash's quotes often related to in my favorite TF2 pony servers. She was my favorite pony, but then I started to like Twilight more.

Edited by Rainbow P.F. Sparkle
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well it all actually started sometime around July I believe. I was participating in a yard sale to help out the show choir class I was and still am in at the time. Why? Because dancing and singing is fun, and I have been so lucky to surprisingly have an amazing teacher!

Anyways, enough digression...

It was my teacher, a friend of my teacher, and their two young teenager daughters. We were all taking a break from the Yard Sale and me and the girls decided to go inside. I just took a seat on the couch and decided to casually watch some T.V. The two girls come by and sit down and decide to change the channel and go on Netflix. They clicked on Season 1, Episode 1 of My Little Pony.

My thoughts?

They do know there's a guy present...right?

However, me being a naturally open and curious guy, I decided to just go along with it and watch it with them. As the episode opened and introduced the ponies of the mane 6, I was just thinking, That Twilight pony seems very obnoxiousWhat the hell is with that psycho pink one. I really want to punch that annoying arrogant rainbow maned pony in the face. Rarity... and I thought the rest were girly?

All negative thoughts at first...I know, I feel horrible for thinking all that. img-1623344-1-sad.png  

But as the episode continued on, I found myself laughing at several funny moments in the show. And then when Nightmare Moon appeared and the mane 6 decided to venture out into the Everfree forest, I was actually surprised to find myself kind of hooked and eager to see what would happen next.

Eventually the show ended, and break time was over. And amazingly, I wasn't ashamed of watching that show with the two girls, maybe a little embarassed and felt a little weird, but really...I could of watched it again.

Since then, out of curiousity, I started searching up these ponies, just to see their back stories and who exactly they were. I began finding these ponies everywhere online and then I heard about the bronies and this fandom, which only allowed my openness and interest to grow.

And as I dove further into checking out all this fandom stuff, I found the one thing that really pushed me into becoming a brony.

That freaking fanfiction story, My Little Dashie.

photo.jpg

Sounded so cliche first hearing about it, and I still hated that pony at the time, but I eventually read it.

I fell in love just five minutes into reading it.

And that fanfic actually gave me the full atmosphere of the show, everything those ponies and Equestria represented.....everything happy and beautiful that this world was(honestly) not. 

So that fanfic got me to feel sympathy and love for that Rainbow pony.

img-1623344-2-flat,140x140,075,t.u1.jpg

She was my number one favorite at the time.

After some deep contemplation, I decided to watch more of My Little Pony and I was much more into it than when first watching it. I grew to especially love Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and even that crazy Pinkie Pie!

img-1623344-3-fc,135x135,light_pink.u2.j

Eventually my favorite two ponies became Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie. Rainbow Dash is now a strong third, but if it were to come down to choosing the coolest and most epic, she would win that in a heart beat!

And that's my story of how I fell in love with the show!img-1623344-4-happy.png

Edited by Dsanders17
  • Brohoof 2

It started by discovery. I watched small clips of catchphrases from the show and slowly looked into it. The day came when I fianlly watched my first episode, still unaware of the opening theme. I still wasn't all into the theme, for the main signature (you know what it is). Soon, I manned up and made an arrangement of the opening theme and on that day, I became an all out brony. 

• Brohoof 1

I became o brony 6-7 months ago (January 2013), when I went to New York to see a friend of mine. On my first day at her home she mentioned being a brony in one of our conversations and we started talking about it, I didn't like the idea of pony stuff at the time. A week later, after we got back from dinner at late night, we went right to our rooms to sleep, but I was so tired that i didn't sleep on the bed, I slept on a chair! The next morning when I woke up, I was being duck taped to the chair by her, and since I didn't want to destroy the room trying to break free from the chair, I played with her game to see where this was going. After that she got her laptop and started playing the first episode of MLP FiM, I was kinda reluctant about that but... well I think let to another and we had spent the day watching all Season 1.

• Brohoof 1

I don't remember when, but someone linked "Party of One" on a forum I was on, and I clicked the link. Watched it, was skeptical, but I watched other episodes too.