• June
    • July
    • August
    • September
    • October
    • November
    • December
  2. 2. What year did you join the herd?

I heard a whole load of stuff about it on the internet, and I had a few brony steam friends. Out of curiosity I then decided to go watch the show... and kinda ended up doing a 2 day 2 night consent no sleep (yeah, that obsessed) marathon on it. I HAVE NO REGRETS

The fandom is basically a second family to me now, and these forums especially are such a nice place to be.

• Brohoof 1

I found out about the show/fandom at the very end of 2013. I saw a parody when flipping channels on TV called "2 broke Powerpuff Girls" I noticed Bubbles' voice actor seemed original (Tara Strong). I haven't really been watching cartoons much for the last 10 years so I wondered what she was doing these days.

I saw "My Little Pony" on a list of her current projects and couldn't believe they still made that show or that she would even bother with it.

My sister used to watch the old version when we were kids in the 90's- early 00's and I hated it. SOMEHOW I HAD NO IDEA IT WAS REMADE AND MISSED ALL THE INTERNET INVASION STUFF.  I recall seeing pony avatars in other forums occasionally but didn't know or care what they were at the time. I decided to look the show up on YouTube thinking I would just laugh at how much it sucked. Anyway I eventually found the first two episodes and thought they were better than the old series, but still wasn't very interested.  I COULD TELL these seemed to be a lot of mainly background episodes and that maybe I should continue (I was bored at the time too). I watched the third episode "Ticket Master" and started to actually be amused by the show. I started liking the show and then thought I was going mental or something. I searched about the show and it's background and then found out it had a huge following for what it was.

And that's my story of how I got sucked into the Black Hole of DOOM :umad:

Here's the clip that started it all (I cant find a complete one)

I came across the Bronies documentary on Netflix and after watching that, decided to watch the first episode. I was instantly hooked and spent about eight or nine hours that day just watching MLP.

My best friend actuay got me into it at first when i watched it i was only simi interested but the more i watched with the moe and more i got into it and he was on this forum before me also so its all thanks to Discordian!

I first hear about it early in 2010. My online friend kept talking about it and telling me I should watch it. I remember telling him I wasn't interested in the show, but, to each their own.( I guess the name scared me off) so, anyway, I see a clip of Pinkie's singing telegram song and I watch it, BAm, instant brony.

I start watching the show about 2 years ago. I was channel surfing for 3 hours and I stumbled across the show. Since there was nothing else to watch (I'm really into cartoons), I decided to give it a try. BEST DECISION OF MY LIFE.

It all started May last year. I met a girl online, same age as me (she is now one of my bestfriends) and she was OBSESSED with mlp. She introduced to some of her brony friends. I thought it was really weird and took the piss. So I asked my best irl friend if he was a brony. He was acting really strange. He put 'No... Why do you ask?' I called him on skype and he sounded really nervous. I told him I would watch an episode if he did. So I watched an ep, and got hooked. Told him I was a brony. Then, he said hes been a brony for months and was scared when i asked him if he was a brony! 

Well, the first episode of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic was 'Over A Barrel'. I thought it was one of the stupidest things I had ever seen. 

However, 2 months later, I ended up watching a few episodes of season 2 on Youtube.com (I'm not sure how).

I realized that I really liked the show :D I then found out that there is a huge fandom behind it. So, here I am!

Hello I'm new in the poniverse and relitively new to the pony fandom?My fandom started last summer when I went to a religious camp(aldersgate) and there I met my first brony friend.I already had one friend intrested in it but after I had two I thought I'd watch to see what it was like.I started watching when I returned home and the fandom started there.Now I know how I came into this fandom but I'm wonder how some of you stumbled upon it and why you have a interest in it?

Hey zecoradash_shy, just letting you know that I merged your topic about how people came into the pony fandom with the one we already had here. Before creating a topic, be sure to check and search the correct sections to see if it exists in some form yet or not please. Thanks for your understanding. :)

I became a Pegasister in... I think I watched episodes 1&2 of s2 and I became obsessed. Lol. And I just joined yesterday.lol haha

~flutter;)

• Brohoof 1

I started watching it in March of this year. The first time I ever heard "brony" mentioned was when someone at my school mentioned he was a brony, but at the time I had no idea what that meant, I just assumed from the context that it was some kind of internet-based subculture of sorts. A long time later, I saw a meme making a joke about certain things that have fans that are not the target audience, and it had a picture of an old, creepy guy with a neckbeard as the "actual audience" of My Little Pony, and I thought, huh, that's weird, I didn't know there were adult males who watched My Little Pony, but there must be or the meme wouldn't be making this joke, unless it's just being really random. Then over time I saw a few YouTube comments of people with ponies as their profile picture, and then this one time a guy mentioned how he gets a lot of flak over the internet for being a brony. So that was when I made the connection that yes, there is an adult male fanbase for My Little Pony, and that is what "brony" refers to. Many months later, some people at school were having a conversation and mentioned how it was just weird that there are adults who watch a show made for little girls and how that's just creepy. Well I never like it when people judge anything without having seen it first. It's like judging a person without getting to know them first. I just really don't like it. So I made up my mind then that I would, at some point, probably consider possibly watching an episode of My Little Pony. And the time came when I was supposed to be working on a Chemistry project that I really didn't want to be working on, so instead of doing it, I looked up the article on Wikipedia for the MLP fanbase, read that the fans actually do watch the show because of it being a quality show with good humour and animation and whatnot, as opposed to being a bunch of creepy dudes who watched it for creepy reasons, so then I watched the first episode. And I was like, hey, this isn't too bad. This is a pretty quality show. And that was that. I think if it wasn't for the awesome and massive Brony community that exists over the internet and the vast amount of fan created material, I wouldn't be as obsessed with the show as I am now. I probably would still have enjoyed it, but it's not like I'd have gone out and bought actual MLP toys and a poster and probably eventually some t-shirts. This is a really special fandom, I feel, so I'm really sad that I didn't look up what "brony" meant the day that guy at school mentioned it for the first time; then I could've been part of this fandom so much sooner. But it's better late than never, I suppose.

• Brohoof 1

I joined the herd in March but I started watching the show at the end of February but I wasn't fully hooked until Dragonshy which was awesome. My m8 did talk about the show a lot and I did watch the full series of turnabout storm and after that, I decided to watch mlp. Good thing I did as well. One of the best shows I've seen in a while.

(edited)

My sister was waching it with her boyfirend and it was realy good so i started watching it more and more falling in love with the mane 6 :wub:

Edited by DASHYWUBSFIRE

July 1st 2012. I watched Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000 shortly after seeing the flash movie Clash of the Skylanders on YouTube. A few MLP episodes later, I say to myself, "This is the greatest show ever!"

Before this, I saw Dragonshy back in May of 2012, but I sidn't officialy become a brony until July.

(edited)

I started off hating MLP thinking it was "lame" and "boring" for years. Then my sister started going on about it, so I decided to give it a single chance. That day, I became a brony. That day was just a few months ago, around december.

Edited by NineStrike

When did I become a brony? About a week ago to be honest. My sister showed me a video on YouTube (I think it was a creepypasta) about MLP. At first I was like, "Okay, that was weird. Who actually enjoys this stuff?". Then I watched a few episodes telling myself I was doing it to see what all the fuss was about. A few episodes in I was hooked. Now every chance I get I try to watch some more.

I made a guess on the month (March), but the year (2012) was correct.  I can tell y'all about the event.

I was attending a general meeting for Kumoricon.  Prior to it starting, there was another staff member who had whipped out her laptop, saying that she wanted to see the new episode of My Little Pony.  I knew that a new version had been made, and had seen a little online (in the form of a PMV), but hadn't watched an episode.  What we saw was the epidoe in which Spike grows and seizes Rarity in a King Kong-like manner.  My moment of awakening came when I saw how Pinkie Pie reacted to Sugar Cube Corner's destruction.

• Brohoof 1

I became a Brony around July of 2012 because I promised my friend on a trip that I would watch 4 episodes since in his words "you need more than one to get into it" and I ended up watching the entire first two seasons within 4 days. I didn't even know that there was such a thing as bronies until then.

I first got into ponies in 2003-5 or so, but mostly stopped once I got "too old". My first pony was a cute, sparkly Daisy Jo from Mcdonalds, then I was hooked (Ponies > Barbies any day :lol: ). My baby cousin got me back in the game when she showed me an episode of FiM and I liked it a lot!

Ponies 4 lyfe :yay:

how is that insane? when you really love somthing and it still around why stop liking it?

Old boy probably thinks that liking MLP is a fad, and that the cool kids have moved on by now.

But that's not true! We love MLP not because it's "cool" to, but because it's great!

After a little bit of unneeded hate towards the show, i decided to give it a chance. Keep in mind, this was right after Bats! went up. I watched the pilot, and then suddenly, it was the next day, and I had watched the entire show.

(edited)

I was into G3 when I was little, and I had a ton of ponies that I used to play with.

I remember printing alllllll the "Meet the Ponies" colouring-in sheets from Hasbro's website, and I'd colour them in and cut them out and basically create the whole of Ponyville! Then when I'd exhausted the amount of ponies I printed, I used to print off more and colour them in my own different styles.

Them were the days!

Anyway, then I "grew up" and gave my paper figures/plastic models to my sister (who then *sigh* lost them).

One of the reasons I no longer liked MLP was that I had looked back at the ponies, but they had progressed onto G3.5 for a short while, which I can't say I liked. I thought they had totally ruined the MLP that I loved, so I totally went off the whole idea and forgot about them.

Anyway, earlier this year, I still thought that MLP:FiM was Generation 3.5, and I didn't want to get involved with the new show and ruin the good memories I still had of G3.

Then I heard that a good friend of mine was into the show, and I was just like 'wow, she's older than me, you don't have to be a kid and love MLP too? If she likes it, it must be fun to watch...'

So I downloaded the first episode of the first season to watch on my MP3 player. I didn't want to download anymore since I thought that one was enough. It wasn't like I was going to get into MLP for good, right???

I was wrong! Obviously PT1 of the Mare in the Moon is left on a cliffhanger, and that night I watched the episode I was lying in bed just thinking about Nightmare Moon and the poor ponies who had to fight for their daylight!!!!

(By the way, I had to smile at Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy when I watched episode 1, Pinkie Pie reminded me in a weird sort of way of myself, when people get to know me, and Fluttershy reminded me of me too, when I meet new people and I'm just like UM... HI)

So anyway, the next day, I watched the second part, and was satisfied at the ending.

Okay, at this point I was quite impressed. I tried looking for the oldddd episodes I watched of G3 and I could only find quality-less episodes, none from what I remember!

I think this is because I was actually into playing with my ponies and creating adventures, instead of watching shows.

That changed with FiM! I totally love the show now, I'm so glad I've found it out, and I'm happy that there are others who also love it as much as I do!!

Edited by Dixie
  • Brohoof 3