Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is your opinion on "Human in Equestria"?

~Chaotic Eddie~

I just wanted to ask you guys what you thought of the concept of "human in Equestria" as a plot point in fan fiction, etc. Personally. I think it's not in itself a bad idea, but it's an illogical one. In my opinion, Equestria Girls illustrated that crossing into the pony universe turns humans into ponies, so it shouldn't be possible for a human to be in the pony world. So overall, I don't like the concept, unless it is given a believable explanation, then it is acceptable in my opinion.

So, what do you all think? Fire away with your opinions~

• Brohoof 1

It is something that could only work with the right "ingredients".For a start it would take a new and interesting plot. Also express the right emotions and difficulties in the transition from one world to another is useful.In fact I think it is easier to imagine a "reverse" situation. Perhaps it might be more interesting to think that some humans are able in some way to contact the ponies of Equestria, but without ever going in Equestria.

• Brohoof 1

There is a difference between "human in equestria" and "Brony in equestria."

Almost all brony in equestria stories are terrible. It's like "hooray, i am in the ponyworld. Lets dance XDXDXDXDXD" That's not interesting and just boring. I like it if the human is totally oblivious about the ponies and i like how he interacts with them through that. Of course, the how is also another story.

• Brohoof 2

Another good human fic is My Little Dashie, which has the twist of bringing a pony from Equestria to our world

I like the original, but the fan sequels leave a lot to be desired in terms of writing and characterization

Another interesting one is "He. She. We" which has Nightmare Moon coming to the human world

So...yeah, I can count the number of HiE fics I like on one hand

A human entering Equestria through a portal will instantly turn them into ponies. If they enter by rocket or travelling without the portal which has the spell, then they turn into ponies after 24 hours of entering the atmosphere of the planet. I see Equestria as a planet, and this is how I see how humans turn into ponies.

I agree with what's been said, if done well, it can be really good. I like some HiE fics, but not so big on Brony in Equestria ones...I like the reverse more, Pony in Earth fics, namely My Little Dashie. :D

I hate it. What I like about Equestria is that there is no human and no reference to them, thus making it very different from our world.

Humans in Equestria would ruin it, the show would less appear as an escape from reality.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

They're quite bad. Most of them tend to be like this:

"Human finds a portal and enters it, miraculously taking him to Equestria. He then befriends the mane 6 and becomes the seventh element of Harmony."

Edited by Blackened
  • Brohoof 2

I think that would be a great idea for me to be a pony. Then I could buck if one of the evil enemies comes to threaten me. Obvious not the good ponies, I love those.  I do have to agree that it is kind of illogical but the fact of reality is ponies don't have to pay bills.

I used to enjoy it a lot, but I came to terms with the fact that the ponies are only fictional characters, and that few people can write HiE well without making it self insert. I am not saying it is the worst form of writing, but I would rather read a story that has fantasy elements, or develops the characters more then they are in the show. With HiE it is usually a slice of life with no message or structure...

Sorry for that little rant.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Don't even think about it :okiedokielokie: that's how I think about humans in Equestria :okiedokielokie:  :okiedokielokie:

Edited by Princess_Moonlight

I am personally opposed to the concept.  I like MLP because I like the pony characters in the pony world doing pony things.  To me, Equestria is so complete and developed there is no reason for such a self-indulgent crossover.  Besides, most fanfics and such along these lines end up just theorizing about initial reactions, and are superficial and stereotypical.  Beyond the "Oh my god, what are you?" and the "Oh my god, where am I?  How did I get here?", these plot lines make no sense and usually go nowhere.

Still, I ain't judging if that's something you're in to.  *shrugs*  It's whatevs.

The only qualms i have with HiE fanfics stem from ones made about cheesy self-insertion fanfics - the author finds itself in Equestria, meets with the main 6, befriends them, solves some problem then either returns home or stays in ponyland forever.

Some HiE fanfics actually have intricate plots and are quite interesting of a read. Humans as a biological species are easier to write for, as the author can relate and sympathize with their anatomy. These can create an immersive situation in which the reader can imagine various scenarios involving bipedal movement, digits, or generally other physical properties you can think of.

In short - humans in equestria can be interesting and unusual, but many fanfics don't quite make it if i had to appraise.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I enjoy Human in Equestria fanfictions, and I would say most of the fanfictions that I have read are from that genre. With that being said however, there are a lot of boring and predictable HiE fics, and I can understand why some people dislike it. I don't know how many times I've read the typical 'Oh no, I'm in a land with magical ponies who are terrified of me! Not to worry though, for I will befriend them within the next chapter or two, and then I will help them save the world!'

Edited by Delirium