Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Would you have a relationship with a Robot?

Vulcan

I was thinking like Curie from Fallout, an ai that yes is a robot but is otherwise pretty much like any other human she is a robot but is her own person and she pretty much is human but yeah that's my thought on it.

No, thank you.

1 hour ago, Lucky Bolt said:

Yeah......hell no. :mlp_wat: Who would want to and why....

44 minutes ago, Sherbie-kun said:

oh hell no, why the fuck why?

You gotta watch for oil leaks and they get rusty after a while and you have to erase their memory.

5 minutes ago, TheRockARooster 🐔 said:

No, thank you.

You gotta watch for oil leaks and they get rusty after a while and you have to erase their memory.

it'd be fairer on the robot for to have it to be in incognito

• Brohoof 1

Bunch of the webcomics I follow seem to have gone down this path lately.

https://www.questionablecontent.net/  One of the main characters has fallen for and is currently dating and co-owns a business with a ex-military combat robot.

http://freefall.purrsia.com/  -  The main character is an artifically-engineered lifeform based on a wolf - basically, an AI running on a biological platform - and is on a world with millions of more conventional robots running the same architecture. She is currently in the process of moving in with her (human) b/f. Interesting idea that the "robot" doesn't have to be metal and plastic (cue synthoids, replicants and so forth)

https://www.yoshsaga.com/  A -literal- catgirl is trying to romance one of the female androids...

Romantic attraction to robots poses a serious threat to the human race as since a robot can be crafted into any image that one desires, a robot can be "perfect" so to speak. An addiction to such perfection could make people no longer seek to be real true human beings which would lead to the end of the human race.

Well that depends. If they can express certain feelings or emotions like some advanced fictional AI robots characters then it could be possible for a human to fall in love with them. It would be just the same as to falling in love with a human.

If not which is highly likely, I wouldn’t.

• 2 months later...

Plenty of tv shows, japanese art/anime, and online comics where robot chassis are indistinguishable from human bodies without cutting one open.  So it comes down to if the AI within the body is sufficiently "human like" that it can experience love for a partner, at which point you have to question how you define "human".

A true AI? Maybe as true AI is basically a life in itself. So if you mean a synth like fallout 4 sure maybe. But a limited AI or other false life? No its not a real relationship. But I can see the use of such creations for lonely people.

On 5/1/2020 at 1:47 PM, Methuselah said:

Plus it would be so wrong.

Why or how is it wrong? 

At the current level of technology, certainly not. Uncanny valley is a strong deterrent.

In 50 years time, we may not even be able to tell the difference between a robot and a human, so I would probably be fine with a relationship under those circumstances.  

To be honest. This speaks of the human dissociative behaviour instilled by the industrial complex, disrupting the way of life in this planet. Technology is intrusively being integrated into our lives at an alarming pace, to the point someday you will wake up and realize everything is "alright", because the neural server integrated into your human brain says so.
You see, people think of the complex as an inanimate thing. It is not. Behind the industrial complex, there is a synthetic form of intelligent life capable of assimilating the entire planet.

So the question is if I would date something that is perfect?

Well, yes of course.
No one is limiting me from dating both a robot and a human being. 
This would be a nice addition to my life. 
If anything, It would do many household tasks, and I love cuddles. I do not mind getting cuddles from either a robot or a human.

IF at any point, the robot IS sentient (self aware), I will treat it like any other sentient and self aware entity, with respect and kindness. 
Otherwise it sounds like a good addition to life.

• Brohoof 1

With that level of sophistication, is their intelligence truly still artificial? If a robot has her own personality and desires and traits and whatever, and I happen to like those things, and she's good-looking, then I really wouldn't care if she's a robot or not. I'm not particularly interested in having kids, so that wouldn't be much of a hindrance either.

"Just because you're filled with nuts and bolts instead of squishy guts doesn't mean you're not real." - Ruby Rose (the RWBY one, not the Australian actress)

As I say, lots of examples out there of true AI in fiction - I am currently reading a online strip called "Questionable Content" set in a post-singularity America, and having explored other aspects of a post-singularity world, seems to be currently concentrating on android/human relationships.

image.png.7dff1581f7151561d4295075e03c96e2.png