Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you do when the electricity goes out?

Luigi

When the power goes out for me, I would normally just open my window so light comes in if its day. If its night then I'll just use the last of my phones power for entertainment then sleeps. As for things I would do, maybe go through my old comic collection, enjoy reading the battle chasers comics. Try and read the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy again.... Not sure past that, its just kind of random for me. Okay, so I do know one thing I would do and that is, I would go out and get something to eat. I'm kind of food motivated on things.

If the power/electricity is out at where I (and the neighborhood) live, I turn off my laptop to save my battery power and give me (some) time to draw during daytime (if nighttime, then how can I draw beautifully without lights?).

• 2 years later...

I turn off the living room tv and other electronics. My tv, gaming pc and surround sound are on a battery backup unit.

I usually find something to do outside, unless the weather is bad. If the power stays off for an extended time, I'll go fire up one of the generators. I have a spare freezer I keep meat and stuff in and don't want that to spoil.

• Brohoof 1

I make the best out of it, usually just sit and draw/read/go outside where there's fresh air while I wait for it to come back on if it happens in the day....but if it happens at night, just light some candles and run around the house acting like a maniac with my siblings. :laugh:

I dig out the lantern and read, or I try and take a nap. But if I have a functioning phone and the cell towers aren't out I will check on the estimated time the power will be back on then play games or watch youtube till the power is back on. 

I can play a board game with family, do things on my tablet (or my laptop if I already have it on), or read a book if I've nothing else to do. I can also take advantage to do some art, like these Jenga builds I did a few months back.

If it's meal time, I can fix myself a quick sandwich and a glass of water (or a soda). If it's warm (but not too hot) outside, I'll maybe go out for some air. If it's cold, I'll slip on some extra clothing, maybe even wrap myself in a blanket.

If it's dark and I have to do stuff (like goin to the bathroom), I grab the rechargeable flashlight that's always next to my bed. I also have one of those lanterns where you put a tiny candle inside, I should probably use it more often.

On 9/11/2016 at 2:09 AM, IsraelYabuki said:

stomp outside shouting "you done screwed up now, ya stupid storm!"

On 9/11/2016 at 6:35 AM, reader8363 said:

besides scream at the weather

tumblr_inline_n8s1dqENB31rucm7w.jpg

My two older sisters and I played Cards Against Humanity sometimes when there's a power outage. When they don't want to do and now that we don't have the game anymore, I read, use activity books, sleep, use some power on my device since I don't like running it down to 0%, play some games with my family, or sleep if I'm tired. If I don't have any of that, which I sometimes don't even when the power is on, I stare at the wall or lay down with my eyes closed. I would go out if I could drive and it was daytime. Fun fact, there was once a power outage at my school so we played games in the classroom or used our devices. I got the last warm food in the cafeteria and everyone behind me got peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. 

Edited by SkyPie

This happened a couple of weeks ago (a local high Voltage transformer went toes up, took nearly 3 hours to fix). Was going to get dark soon so I went into camping mode, and got out the camping lamps. I got a LED one which is very good, but also went and got the petrol lantern out of the shed (for use in the conservatory), and then also got candles. the cooker gas hobs still worked so could make coffee in a saucepan, and heat up a can of food.

On 10/24/2018 at 9:20 PM, SkyPie said:

I got the last warm food in the cafeteria and everyone behind me got peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. 

On 10/24/2018 at 10:52 PM, Tropical Melody said:

This happened a couple of weeks ago (a local high Voltage transformer went toes up, took nearly 3 hours to fix). Was going to get dark soon so I went into camping mode, and got out the camping lamps. I got a LED one which is very good, but also went and got the petrol lantern out of the shed (for use in the conservatory), and then also got candles. the cooker gas hobs still worked so could make coffee in a saucepan, and heat up a can of food.

That actually sounds amazing, now I wish I lived with you.

I think I'm gonna put my lantern someplace easy to access. I should remember to grab it the next time power goes out, and flaunt it throughout the house.

Hmm....call me...lol:derp:

Nah..for me I just deal with it or let the generator take over:mlp_yeehaa: But if its that bad..im usually heading out to find out what's wrong and then start working..(joys of being an electrician/lineman)B)

• Brohoof 1

We (my dad, my brother, my mother and I) used to play Monopoly back when we were in Washington state and had a Monopoly board (and I always won with a secret strategy that I've still only lost once doing, but I only did because I hadn't played in years and I was doing it wrong :P), but last times I remember I was either reading science fiction novels, sleeping, or contemplating my life for the entire time that the power was out. That seems like a solid strategy for the power outages I've dealt with down here (anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of days). As for longer, I'm not so sure.

I usually have some sort of handheld device to use, sometimes multiple, so I can just use those until they come back on or I have to go to sleep/work.

There was one time the power was out for several days because of an ice storm a few years ago. Mostly a whole lot of nothing there. A few board games and huddling up with people for warmth. That was fun <_<

When the power goes out, I either play a game on my Nintendo 3DS - provided that it has enough battery charge, or I'll draw something in my sketchbook.

Last time the power went out we just played Farkle and went to sleep... sadly it was out for a day in a half and my phone was like almost dead (could had charged it a long time ago if I remembered i had my laptop) >.>  I had my Ds though. 

a few years ago I was in a snow storm so the power was out for days and all we did was ate mcd’s and played board games... learned how to play chess that way though :D