Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Should fluffle puff be in the show?

adelenightstaff

It's definitely got positive aspects, but I have to wonder about whether it would be a legal nightmare for them to do so...it raises questions in my mind like, "Would those fan-submitted ponies become Hasbro's IP?  Would there be toys of those fan-submitted ponies?  Would the fans be compensated?  Would the fans, legally speaking, not be allowed to continue to use their fan-made OCs in fics/web pages/etc?"

I don't have answers to those questions.  The answers might not be what we want to hear.

One more question pops up in my mind right before I hit the "Post" button:  would 6-10 year old girls also be able to submit their stuff?  If adult bronies are competing with them, what does that do to their chances of winning a submission contest?

I wouldn't see why not if they somehow put her as an little cameo or easter egg. If I recall, the show had shown other fandom derived references like body pillows so I guess nothing it worst than that.

If it were as a cameo then it would be okay so long as Fluffle Puff's presence didn't cause a distraction, but she wouldn't be able to be a full-fledged character due to obvious copyright laws resulting in having to go through a lot of red tape. The comic writers were under fire from Hasbro when a similar situation occurred two years ago so now the comic can no longer include OC characters under any circumstances, so I'm guessing the show writers are under the same restriction.

The only exception is through the Make-A-Wish Foundation which included OC characters, Stellar Eclipse and Angel Wings although the chances of those two returning again are slim to none.

Fluffleluff is a fanmade character, but Starlight Glimmer feels like one as well. She could be from a terrible fanfiction story. There would be another reason for more Chrysalis screen time and Flufflepuff would be another new character out of nowhere, who steals Celestia a bit more of a chance for character development.

So everything should be fine for yall.

Edited by Swifty

My modest experience in the world of publishing (magazines) would indicate that: A. the publisher would have to buy the whatever it is, thereafter B. they will own the copyright of the whatever it is. The original author then can't touch it. Not their property anymore. So I imagine Hasbro would want complete control, meaning Mike would lose his Fluffle. Can't see how a "deal" could be struck. Unless there's some way I don't know about. But I think as been said Hasbro wouldn't want to touch it with a long pole, on the basis of being a potential legal minefield if arguments break out later.

• Brohoof 2

No, lets leave the fan made stuff where it is. Sure there are some very creative fan made things out there, but we don't need to add them to the show to enjoy them. Also, I could only imagine all the problems that would start to pop up if fan made characters and ideas started popping up in show.

Let's not go down that road.

• Brohoof 1

No.

All it'd do for me is change who my least favorite pony is.

Ignoring that however, Flufflepuff doesn't seem to have much personality (from what I've seen anyway).  I'm not really sure what you could do with a pinky fluff ball pony aside from her usual shenanigans.

• Brohoof 1

NONSENSE you nickel-plated, ninnymuggined neighsayers!

No Logic! No reason! Put 'er in!

ALL HAIL PRINCESS OF FLUFFINESS!

Hah! I can totally see them pulling Tribbles on her. She just shows up & they can't get rid of her or figure out what she is or does!

I can see it now! Flufflepuff just shows up stuck to the throne of Equestria and they can't figure her out. Celestia leans near her to ask if she can even talk and gets her head engulfed with pink fluff. "Well, I'm done for today. Going back to bed, Luna your in charge of everything today."

Besides! The writers already put their own OCs into the show, and this point I don't think there is anything they could do to completely derail this train!

No. Fan-made stuff should always be left out of the show. It was fun to see so many fan theories referenced in Slice of Life, but fan-made ponies should stay well away from the show proper. Personally I wouldn't even have any Make-A-Wish ponies in there because I'm a dick purist like that.

I don't think Fluffle Puff would fit there at all, so no.  :twi:

As for fan-made OC's... Not really.

Besides maybe adding few to fill the background when ~crowd in background~ is needed, I don't think there's a need to spam with these. Giving them an actual role would most likely lead to mess.

One more question pops up in my mind right before I hit the "Post" button:  would 6-10 year old girls also be able to submit their stuff?  If adult bronies are competing with them, what does that do to their chances of winning a submission contest?

I don't think that would be an issue.

Younger audience can build good characters as well. It's just a matter of a simple backstory that will work with personality. To visualize their pony, they could just use these pony generators or even make ugly sketches ... or even just describe them and the animating team would turn that into a legit pony in the show.

That's true adult bronies can make more detailed, well-worded backstories/personality and prettier images, but that all would be unnecessary, because that job is for animators and storywriters. All they would need is a simple idea for a character, not scenario for the whole episode.  ;)

By the way they would still have extremely high chances against Alicorns and Shiny-Ultra-Colorored-OP ponies.  :squee:  I'm sure the last thing they would like to add to the show would be OC alicorns. In my opinion only Princess Celestia and Princess Luna should be alicorns, but they keep adding new and new ones, which will result in random ponies being as powerful/colorful as those princesses.  :P

• Brohoof 1

HELL NAAAAAAH, TO NAH NAH NAH. HELL TO THE NAH NAH, TO THE NAH NAH NAH. 

Serious: I don't think we should add ocs to the show, because unless its NoLegs, Its cancerous(most  of them tbh, some ocs look good, like nolegs or cobaltskys)

If Fluffle Puff is going to be in the show, then I would like to see somepony like Ink Rose in it, just kidding, I think it would be bad for the show if we add fan OCs in the show, what role are they going to get in the show anyway? They should stay in the series that they're known in, in my opinion.

As an actual character front and center? Perhaps not. However, a background character that is a visual treat? Sure! The realm of background ponies is very open and they could easily have her be a background character as a little nod to the fandom, while keeping her completely silent and not in the plot of the episode, which makes all of the videos of her still completely fine. Win-win.