Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general If you could go back in time for a weekend

Corgis

I asked this question on another forum a while back but I think it's an interesting situation so I'll ask it again here.

So here's the situation:  You are allowed to go to any place in the world during any past time period for a single weekend.  You are given the period equivalent of $500 and you cannot take anything with you except for clothing.

For me I would probably go to Toronto in the 1920's just to see all the awesome old tec that was around back then.  Seeing the harbor front and the train station with all that steam equipment would also be quite the sight.  Victorian London in the 1890's would also be awesome to see what the place was like back then.  

• Brohoof 1

I think I might like to go to Los Angeles in the early 1920s and see what things were like when Harold Lloyd was making movies. I also like places like ancient Greece or Rome, both being so rich in history. I'd love to take a glimpse at them first-hand. 

• Brohoof 3

I'd go back in time to a weekend sometime in 1986 where my family went on vacation to an island off of the coast of West Africa. I can barely remember my experiences there since I was roughly four years old at the time, so it would be nice to go back and see it all again so that I could have better memories of it.

• Brohoof 2

I would probably travel to the 1980s, my favorite decade. B)

Though it would be fascinating to travel to the Middle Ages, I feel that--logically--it would be unwise to visit any year before 1900; were you to travel to London in the 1400s, for instance, you would be unable to understand what people were trying to say to you (unless you learned Middle English beforehand).

Also, you would be instantly overwhelmed by stench, you may end up breaking laws you don't know about, and you could contract a deadly illness. 

• Brohoof 1

First off, I'd be sorely tempted to go back 3 months and buy a winning lottery ticket then bury it somewhere for me to pick up later.

Beyond that it would depend a lot upon if I could change events in history, and at what level?  Personal(could I go back and tell myself something and would history change?), Accidental(could I by going back accidentally cause the death of, or stop the invention of things even simply by talking), Intentional(causing significant shifts in history on purpose).

There is also the possibility of disease.  Could I be bringing back a killer flu virus // west nile // zika // whatever to a past time, and could I pick up the plague or some other disease from the timeframe I visited?

Lastly there could be language issues even if they spoke the same language if you went back even a couple of hundred years.

Edited by silvadel
  • Brohoof 1

​I'd rather spend a weekend in the future, maybe see how things turn out in about...  500 years?  I'd rather not go into the past at all but if I had to, I guess I'll go with the 80's and go to a Queen concert?

• Brohoof 2

I would want to see my hometown life in the late 19th and early 20th Century. I want to see the families who lived in my current office building and my old houses. 

I would also LOVE to go back and see Versailles pre-revolution. That lifestyle looks so extravagant! 

• Brohoof 1

First off, I'd be sorely tempted to go back 3 months and buy a winning lottery ticket then bury it somewhere for me to pick up later.

Beyond that it would depend a lot upon if I could change events in history, and at what level?  Personal(could I go back and tell myself something and would history change?), Accidental(could I by going back accidentally cause the death of, or stop the invention of things even simply by talking), Intentional(causing significant shifts in history on purpose).

There is also the possibility of disease.  Could I be bringing back a killer flu virus // west nile // zika // whatever to a past time, and could I pick up the plague or some other disease from the timeframe I visited?

Lastly there could be language issues even if they spoke the same language if you went back even a couple of hundred years.

I'll just say if you go back you could change history and you still speak today's English.  I would not assume the Butterfly effect is in play though but it's up to you.  Sure you could pick up some of the old diseases.

I'd go to the early 1960s, preferably the US. I suppose, S. King's 11/22/63 had some influence on me - I just want to experience the atmosphere of that time. 

• Brohoof 1

I think I might like to go to Los Angeles in the early 1920s and see what things were like when Harold Lloyd was making movies.

I'm just tickled that somebody else knows who Harold Lloyd is. The Freshman is absolutely hilarious. 

• Brohoof 2

I'd go back into a weekend in 2006 or 2007 and slap some sense into my past self and make sure she knows she must take care of herself in late 2007.

I mean it'd be cool to go back into a time where I wasn't around and see what it's like, but I think having a future is more important.

• Brohoof 1

As much as I'd love to go back to the 80s to see what everything was like, I'd probably go back to like 2007 to stop myself from doing anything wrong, and possibly get younger me and my younger best friend together.

• Brohoof 1

I would enjoy going back in time to Victorian England to experience a country house party. Food, croquet, and other games on the lawn! :)

• Brohoof 1

Actually I probably wouldn't go to the past because if you act like a weirdo they send you to asylums to get better(with electro-shock therapy), especially if you say stuff like I'm from the future!