Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Change "Crazy" emoticon into "Disliked" emoticon.

Gestum

7 minutes ago, Manaka Hitomi said:

Yeah that is true but they don't explicitly say that it becomes very subjective and depends on the context and interpretation at that point. What I was saying in my post was that crazy is or at least feels or could feel more clear when used when compared to the others. 

I personally have no issue with it I was just trying to see why so many users react so strongly on it.

I think there could be a solution for something like this. Have a system where tagging it with a reaction (or specific ones) requires the user to either explain why or reply. If they don’t, the reaction is rejected.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Jeric said:

Turning the entire site into a shrine for Rarity. :please:

Yes! And every single emoticon and reaction would look exactly like this: :grin: and this :D 

That would solve the problem! :lol: 

• Brohoof 1

I am not sure I have even used the crazy reaction, ever. That being said, if I think a post or update is crazy, I am more likely to say it to you than drop a boring reaction that can mean multiple things. Being honest, I personally have no horse in this race, since I don't get much out of the "reactions" and have never been all that into the brohoof thing. I could live without any of them, but they also do not bother me in any way. They are just one of the parts of the site I pay little or no attention to.

Honestly all of the reactions, and not just the crazy one can be taken wrongly without any actual written word. How many members here have posted something tragic, upsetting or frightening, only to receive a smiley or some such even though the giver was most likely trying to show comfort or support in some way?

I will also say if you get your knickers in a knot over a reaction you really should not be using a forum of any kind since by their very nature they are open to ideas and thoughts that may be contrary to your own. Are you looking for a place to have honest discussion with people who have different ideas and opinions and thoughts and may react differently than yourself to a given topic, or do you just want to live in an echo chamber with everyone parroting the same exact thought. Telling others how they should or should not react to a given thought seems to go against the very grain of what a forum stands for.

Personally speaking I would love a face palm reaction, since I would use the hell out of it.

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

I think there could be a solution for something like this. Have a system where tagging it with a reaction (or specific ones) requires the user to either explain why or reply. If they don’t, the reaction is rejected.

Or let's just bring it to the state it was back then; brohoof or nothing. Plain and simple, you agree, react, not? Explain why, as there's no other option. :toldya:

• Brohoof 2

13 minutes ago, ZethaPonderer said:

Teacup: It's just a fancy version of a typical 'like' reaction where it gives off a 'I concur' or 'Happy to talk with you' reaction.

Cheers mate.

1 minute ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Might as well not have a reaction at all if you have to reply. The point of the reaction is very simple and brief communication and the current system seems to be failing to a certain degree. To resolve this they could either change it or clarify the intended meanings.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

I feel that the system should be as lightweight as possible as writing down extra stuff doesn't always go well with the user experience. Though it could work well it also could discourage users using them at all which is basically same than deleting it entirely. 

Currently the react requires 2 clicks before it was 1 and adding more into it I don't think adds much to the experience. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm actually interested in what @Goat-kun has to say. He usually never touches that element of the site, and when he does add a visual flavor to a post he drops a meme face. 

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

Cheers mate.

Huh? That's what I'm going to be thinking when I give that out now. Before I was just thinking of Trixie. Not even kidding about that. I told someone earlier today that I actually fight the urge to say teacup. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
5 minutes ago, Manaka Hitomi said:

I feel that the system should be as lightweight as possible as writing down extra stuff doesn't always go well with the user experience. Though it could work well it also could discourage users using them at all which is basically same than deleting it entirely. 

Currently the react requires 2 clicks before it was 1 and adding more into it I don't think adds much to the experience. 

Hmm...

Maybe if there is such a system requiring an answer, maybe have it controlled by the individual rather than have it side-wide? Someone or someplace where the user can control the reaction system however they wish?

*ponders*

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Manaka Hitomi said:

Being serious for a moment, you have a point. It's always a bad UI decision to add more interaction points when you can avoid it. 2 is acceptable. More than that becomes something that discourages a feature's use. 

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Jeric said:

I'm actually interested in what @Goat-kun has to say. He usually never touches that element of the site, and when he does add a visual flavor to a post he drops a meme face. 

I'm fine with the reaction in question. I mostly get it as an expected reaction to my shenanigans. Sometimes some wiseguy tries to use it as an insult but that is a rarity.

However, this community does not have people who would constantly bomb a poster with organized "crazy face" or "teacup". Maybe this can become a problem for some users in the future. Does blocking a user also block their reactions?

(edited)
14 minutes ago, Manaka Hitomi said:

On mobile devices it takes two, but on desktop, the reaction bar appears after hovering the cursor over the brohoof icon, so practically it still takes just one click to successfully give a reaction. :derp:

And see? That crazy reaction isn't bad there! :D 

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, Rikifive said:

On mobile devices it takes two, but on desktop, the reaction bar appears after hovering the cursor on the brohoof reaction, so practically it still takes just one click to successfully give a reaction. :derp:

Still effectively requires 2 interactions but at least that is better than 2 hard clicks.

14 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Someone or someplace where the user can control the reaction system however they wish?

Customization of the system and giving options to the users is always good I think, and enhances the experience up to some extent  though one should investigate if big enough percentage of the users will actually use those features and options when offered. Too much options can be messy to deal with especially with new users.

I think the question here is that what direction the community here or the site wants to take these reactions.

• Brohoof 1

30 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Turning the entire site into a shrine for Rarity. :please:

23 minutes ago, PiratePony said:

Wait...it isn't?

Nah, because she ain't truly best pony.

Spoiler

*cough*Derpy*cough*

:derp:

• Brohoof 2

While I'm indifferent towards the crazy reaction overall, i think that reactions like these should only be used when appropriate. If it's just as a joke, the it's fine and I don't care. but I think it's inappropriate to use that reaction if the post is sensitive or serious. 

However, I don't think replacing it with a dislike button will be any better, especially if the person using it doesn't care enough to elaborate, and it'll probably just lead to pointless drama.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Whomps said:

I think the only other solution is to add an emoticon even more harsh if something so minor is gonna set you off 

Posts like this actually only justify the crazy emoticon more

Could you explain how so? Otherwise what's to stop me from giving you a crazy reaction?

If anything what I understand from your line of reasoning (providing I'm not misinterpreting it in anyway) has proven to me that the 'Crazy' reaction is a TROLL way to react to somebody's comment which doesn't make sense to me thus rendering the purpose of the user's reaction entirely meaningless. So why not ban the reaction 'Crazy' in Debate Pit and instead change it into 'Respectfully Disagree'?

I agree that the 'crazy' reaction can be misused or misinterpreted as ill intentioned, but I find it as a funny way to say that an idea seems really wacky or exaggerated.

2 minutes ago, ZethaPonderer said:

Respectfully Disagree'?

I think that option such as this could discourage further communication because with that reaction you've basically made your stance on the situation already and as such I don't really see how it benefits debates in particular in which I think the key is to further the communication as much as possible to help to reach an agreement.

I agree with @Key Sharkz that people need to grow thicker skin. If you're offended by a fucking reaction you don't belong on the internet.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Celli said:

I agree with @Key Sharkz that people need to grow thicker skin. If you're offended by a fucking reaction you don't belong on the internet.

Yea...but...that's why we come here. Less butthurt. :P

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Dark Qiviut said:

1 hour ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Hmm...

Maybe if there is such a system requiring an answer, maybe have it controlled by the individual rather than have it side-wide? Someone or someplace where the user can control the reaction system however they wish?

*ponders*

No, we don't need something so counter-intuitive for something as minor as a damn emoticon. Literally every other site that allows has no restrictions as to how to use it. Having to baby everyone over using those things is just gonna make this site look a fucking pre-school babysitting service

39 minutes ago, ZethaPonderer said:

Could you explain how so? Otherwise what's to stop me from giving you a crazy reaction?

If anything what I understand from your line of reasoning (providing I'm not misinterpreting it in anyway) has proven to me that the 'Crazy' reaction is a TROLL way to react to somebody's comment which doesn't make sense to me thus rendering the purpose of the user's reaction entirely meaningless. So why not ban the reaction 'Crazy' in Debate Pit and instead change it into 'Respectfully Disagree'?

It might make people grow thicker skin for starters. You used a crazy emoticon for my post and you know what? Good on you, you're allowed to do it. If someone responds to your post in the debate pit with a "crazy" reaction but won't bother to respond to your post? Take it as a victory because they can't be assed to back up their own argument

Edited by Whomps
  • Brohoof 2