Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is your opinion on the Wonderbolts' suits

Lord Valtasar

(edited)

i really don't like the fact that it covers almost all the body to the point you almost can't tell their color

Edited by Jeric
Edited title
  • Brohoof 1

I do fully concur! Though rather I would say it seems like most love those flight suits. You rarely find any fan art of Spitfire, Fleetfoot or Soarin without those. Pity.

With the goggles, pretty much the only difference between the wonderbolts is their manes & tails! Blanks out their cutie marks & gives this enforced feeling of demanded sameness. Considering how often their ethics have been called into question, this looks very poorly on the team.

Besides, daresay Rarity would agree with me here. Just blue & a gold underside? Base & atrocious! There's almost no point to watching them race! Maybe if it was some more intricate lightning decals along the side.... 

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Widdershins said:

I do fully concur! Though rather I would say it seems like most love those flight suits. You rarely find any fan art of Spitfire, Fleetfoot or Soarin without those. Pity.

With the goggles, pretty much the only difference between the wonderbolts is their manes & tails! Blanks out their cutie marks & gives this enforced feeling of demanded sameness. Considering how often their ethics have been called into question, this looks very poorly on the team.

Besides, daresay Rarity would agree with me here. Just blue & a gold underside? Base & atrocious! There's almost no point to watching them race! Maybe if it was some more intricate lightning decals along the side.... 

Fully agree! Also Im just not a big fan of the colour scheme plus spitfire (imo) looks better without the suit.

@Durov It's the mane really.

Draws your attention but you really have to see the full package together to have it all work.

Everything about Spitfire's style is there to direct you to the full package.

No, no. Feels like there was nothing wrong with the way I phrased that.

I adore Spitfire!

Oh right @Widdershins not awkward at all. :D

Anyway, she is very cute and the uniforms don't look good. They have a 'power rangers' feel to them and so are hard to take seriously, even for a show like MLP.

The history nut in me, plus the Rarity fan in me, thinks that the blue and gold scheme is absolutely perfect. A few things ... 

They are the colors of the USN Blue Angels demonstration team, which was the reason Faust originally went with the insignia blue and gold colors to begin with. 

Blue and gold were considered royal colors at one point, and heavily used in palacaes because of the rarity of both pigments. So ... Rarity would certainly approve of their use. 

Currently, if one follows interior design trends, blue and gold is currently one of the trendy color schemes, so Rarity again would approve. 

Back before color photography and video, blue and yellow were used often since it shows up better black and white. 

These are the Philadelphia Eagles old Jersey colors. 

eagles-throwback-620x862.jpg

Here is what those colors looked like in black and white.

Tommy_Thompson_-_1948_Bowman.jpg

Yellow and gold is apparently better for black and white images. 

• Brohoof 3

I think they're fine, not to mention it helps their snouts stick out more which makes it more adorable

1760346693_1151982__safe_rainbowdash_screencap_cute_animated_wonderboltsuniform_dashabetes_blinking_newbiedash_spoiler-colon-s06e07.gif.1639aa7e4dbc31ae20c9c77fc42ff17e.gif

• Brohoof 7

Well I'm alright with it because it's like any branch of an air force, you have to represent it in uniform. I do agree with not wearing all the time (like in The Best Night Ever from Season 1, you see Wonderbolt members wearing their uniform at a formal event).   

When I first saw Soarin I thought he was a dark blue pony because of how form-fitted the flight suit was. I was totally surprised when I realized he was actually light gray. :laugh:

I don't mind the flight suits at all. They serve an aerodynamic purpose (though Rainbow Dash apparently didn't need one to do a Rainboom) and they look really slick.

I love the flight suits, I think they look awesome and if I were a pony I would totally want one :wub:

I just love how cool it makes them look, sleek and fast, they have a good color scheme too, yellow bellies and blue everywhere else. Though I will admit I do like the Shadowbolts flight suits as well, those are just badass looking! :dash:

soakin____one_year_later__by_skipsypony-d5r4b87.thumb.jpg.861c1349824bbd6f057e35de19ee62c1.jpg 

I also think the nice skin-tight suits makes the ponies look extra sexy too :bedeyes:

• Brohoof 6

Well, I like tight shirts because my six pack can be seen easily, so I'm guessing that the stallions like to wear tight suits to show off. And yes, I like their tight suits because RD looks extra sexy in them.

• Brohoof 5

They're neat. I like the zig-zag lightning bolt motif, and the sky blue colour is very pleasant. The Wonderbolts' performances are a group effort - like in sports, everyone needs to wear the team colours, and for the purpose of flying it makes sense that they're so form-fitting. I do wonder why the uniforms cover the ponies' faces, though; does it help flying in some way? The team doesn't make a big deal about making its performers anonymous.  

I absolutely love them.  For some reason, I've always thought that the ponies look sexier in tight, full-body covering suits.  The 'bolts, and it's the same with the Power Ponies.  I dunno why that is.  I mean, why would that be sexier than naked?  But it just is.  Of course, none of those hold a candle to this flight suit:

Spoiler

1155677400_MareofSteel3D-YouAreNotAlone.thumb.png.2d865e67b45438eac4ef4c4d9b588da6.png

*Ahem* signature *Ahem*.

Sorry, just had something in my throat, there...

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/25/2018 at 6:54 AM, Truffles said:

When I first saw Soarin I thought he was a dark blue pony because of how form-fitted the flight suit was. I was totally surprised when I realized he was actually light gray. :laugh:

I don't mind the flight suits at all. They serve an aerodynamic purpose (though Rainbow Dash apparently didn't need one to do a Rainboom) and they look really slick.

I didn’t catch it being a uniform at first either. I only half watched the show when my son was watching, so I thought they were all blue...sort of like how Celestia’s and Luna’s guards are color coded.

I don’t really like the full uniform myself...though admittedly, I don’t like a lot of what any of the ponies wear. (Sorry, Rarity.)

'Flight Suit' is kinda a misleading term, to be honest. They're more like gymnastic uniforms (or to keep with the horse terms, a vaulting uniform: https://albertawegvaulters.wordpress.com/2014/09/04/canadian-vaulting-team-portrays-good-and-evil-to-advance-at-alltech-fei-world-equestrian-games-2014/) It's a sleek spandex onesie specifically built so there are no projections or flappy bits to get caught on anything or throw off the wearer's balance. If this was an accurate representation, all their manes and tails would be tightly braided and tied up for exactly the same reason. You do *not* want long hair getting in the way when doing acrobatics. The colors... are what they are. Blue and gold will likely have a significance of some kind rooted in the team's history, like any sports team.

And covering the coat color and cutie-marks will be part of the point. They are not Spitfire, Soarin', and so on while in those uniforms. They are not individuals. They are the Wonderbolts. The team is paramount. They aren't part of the team, they *are* the team. The team is them.

Now, it was shown that Spitfire, at least, had a regular uniform separate from the 'flight suit'. They *should* have had dress uniforms for formal events. The flight suit should be for performances and the like. Not something to be just walking around.

• 3 years later...