Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would some people consider watching MLP effeminate or not?

heavens-champion

If some people thinks so, well there's nothing wrong with having a sensitive side really. 

Edited by TBD
  • Brohoof 1

Being effeminate is not a bad thing. The definition is 

"having or showing characteristics regarded as typical of a woman"

Having the traits that are typical of a woman isn't a bad thing. It's just a form of preference. There's a reason why these tropes exist:

In Touch with His Feminine Side - Male who has defined feminine traits.

Sensitive Guy and Manly Man - The tough guy and delicate guy get paired up.

Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy - A feminine male and a masculine female are featured together.

Yes, I think some people would consider watching the show "effeminate." But there's nothing inherently wrong with anything that is effeminate. What really matters most is if you enjoy the show or not. Heck, even my 4th grade homeroom teacher taught my class that "even girls books and stories are enjoyable by boys" and vice versa.

26 minutes ago, Discordian said:

You mean like how watching Dragon Ball Z must make me the manliest of men who can benchpress a house? :P

...but does it take you an entire series to do one rep? The ponies can find and solve world ending crisees in just two episodes.

What would be a "masculine" cartoon?

I agree with the comments about cartoons being for younger people, but even then those for an adult audience (South Park, Family Guy, American Dad etc) are rather purile and full of fart gags and could be considered for a less mature (serious?) audience.

Anyway, if you like something watch it :)

When a friend questioned me over liking MLP (he's a bit of an alpha male and likes his body building) "What's the matter with you it's a little girls show"

"It's okay mate, there's a pony for everyone"

3650856-bulk+biceps+02.jpg

:)

I guess some people think of MLP as effeminate, but that's misguided thinking. I mean, why is liking a show filled with female characters a reflection on the masculinity of the viewer? If I guy likes a show with a predominantly female cast, that to me sounds like a masculine trait, not the other way around.

Edited by Narcissus
  • Brohoof 1

Many non-bronies probably would, but who even gives a shit what other people think?

On 11/30/2018 at 2:45 AM, Narcissus said:

I guess some people think of MLP as effeminate, but that's misguided thinking. I mean, why is liking a show filled with female characters a reflection on the masculinity of the viewer? If I guy likes a show with a predominantly female cast, that to me sounds like a masculine trait, not the other way around.

I know right, why do people think bronies are gay? The show is all about cute girls. That's about as straight as you can get!

On 12/1/2018 at 12:39 PM, shyabetes3939 said:

Many non-bronies probably would, but who even gives a shit what other people think?

I know right, why do people think bronies are gay? The show is all about cute girls. That's about as straight as you can get!

While I agree that you should watch what you enjoy and forget about what people say, the phrase "it's about as straight as you can get" I'm going to have to disagree with just on terms of that not really statistically holding water. But that's just nitpicking
Counterpoint: I'm a gay man, I enjoy watching it, but I'm sad there aren't more male ponies/characters in the spotlight. Because I want to watch men. I like men, very much. I can relate to them. Female characters, not so much. In fact, MLP is a bit of an anomaly for me, because I normally don't like very female heavy shows. I have nothing, again, to relate to.

It's like saying I'm straight because my two good friends are females and I like to be around women. Which is not the case, we just have some things in common, like interests....such as in men for example. XD.  And admittedly, I can make female friends faster because a lot of straight men, don't think we have a lot in common, however they just need to converse with me first, but automatically since I'm gay, they'll think we have no common ground. Which is ridiculous.

But if you ask me, I enjoy being around men a lot as well. I love DBZ, it holds a special place in my heart. It's a bunch of sweaty, shirtless guys screaming and fighting. Love it. I myself like MMA, martial arts, and even the stereotypical beer bro drinking, liking cars, having burping contests, blood and guts action movies, explosions, etc. I can't actually count the times that I've been mistaken as straight. Even my appearance is most of the time t-shirt and jeans, baseball cap (my Gundam Wing one is my favourite), combat boots and I carry a knife on me at all times. Then my husband walks up and people are super confused. LOL

It all depends I think, of you yourself. It's all individual. 

Edited by Earl Grey Ghost

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...