Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Have You Been Injured At Work Before?

EpicEnergy

I haven't been injured to the point where I had I had to go home and take a few days off, but I have had minor injuries at work before, specifically nose bleeds and scrapes.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I have actually a couple of times but as I hate hospitals and governments I do most of my procedures on my own. Though one time I cut my arm on a window and although I planned on just putting a bandage or do some stitches myself it kept bleeding as it was rather deep. Yet that said I decided to go to a hospital tell them how stupid and pointless they are that I could just use a bandage yet they said I should come when needing to. Which is nonsense when I really have to go they tell me to leave but when I'm bleeding they can actually take a minute to help. They didn't help when I tell them I'm suffocating having waited now a year for an appointment too.

So yeah a cut arm is all most of the time I just use bandages or stitch myself up. I'd rather do that then go to hospitals, which is why I'm trying to study most medical procedures to do myself which works out as I always wanted to be a doctor so I know what I'm doing I just hate hospitals so rather do my own procedures unless it is something impossible to do on your own. 

I actually so rarely get injured at work perhaps as I stay safe most of the time.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94

Nothing major. The worst things that happened were getting glass in my fingers and one time cutting my leg with my knife pretty bad. That was four years ago, but the scar is still as clear as day.

Of note? Three times. First time was when I burned my hand with soup at lunch. Blistered for a week or two. Second time was my first day working on my own and I ended up walking headfirst into a part, as a safety team member was talking to me. Gave myself a nice cut above the eye. Second time was when I was again by myself and had to rush between some parts to get something and the corner of a part cut through my jeans and into my leg. Since i was alone no one found out but I got a scar that you can see if you squint hard enough. Could've been worse if that part was raw steel instead of being painted over. 

Technically not during work, but the worst was when I crashed my moped trying to avoid the puddles in my old jobs cratered parking lot and ended up wiping out anyways. Worked my shift and then went to the doctors to get the wounds cleaned and gravel picked out. 

I had a few close calls when I delivered mail. The closest I got was a dog trying to bite my throat but I guess he lost his footing and instead bit a hole in my shirt. It was a small hole. Didn't break the skin.

Another encounter with a dog ended with me warning the home owner that her front door has to be closed during delivery hours or I'll skip her house, and I wound up having to use my pepper spray so the dog had something to think about besides ripping my throat out. 

• Brohoof 1

I had from my old job at the Deli for Sprout.

I had a back injuries (slips disk)  from overworking according to my doctor, like constantly twisting my back from cutting and lifting heavy things. But apparently Sprouts doesn’t bother giving me a worker comp due to not having clear proof that it was from ‘overworking’. They even denied my time card for missing lunches and blamed me for not taking it. And also denying my doctor notes and rather hear it from their own recommended worker comp doctor. Which btw, their doctor was a dick. Overall they don’t understand how difficult it is working at a Deli, because all they do is sits on the fat ass all day in their offices. They don’t even care for their workers at all because every complaints I had mentioned about, they don’t even consider it.

5 years from now and I’m still dealing with sciatica from that back injuries. 

(edited)

I’ve had a small part of my arm torn by a rusty screw jutting out of a freezer frame. I also had my arm splashed in hot grease. I’ve also had a box of frozen food fall on my arm. Also a toaster still in its packaging also fell on my arm once at a different workplace. 

Edited by Kronos the Revenant

As a busser, I was hired short notice and had a very small window to purchase the clothing needed for our uniform, resulting in me purchasing a set of dressy black shoes that were two sizes too small. Don't know if their size played a role a significant role, but the sweat from constantly walking about for over 10 hours a day resulted in my feet becoming soft and splitting just above the bottom of the ball for my big toe on my right foot. It didn't hurt much and luckilly didn't get infected, which is kind of a miracle given that I was using a public shower, but it was an open wound. What the shoes definitely did was at least partly cut off the circulation on that same foot for the side of my pinkie toe. It lost almost all feeling and lost its color. The line between what was fine and what wasn't was clearly visible. All that's left from that is a faint line. I would have purchased a better set of shoes, however, I was living on a boat part time and don't have a license and didn't know my way around very well, so the opportunity to find some that were better fitting did not bestow itself before me.

Next work injury was the return of the split foot, as I was part of doing maintenance with a parks department. My boots and raingear almost did nothing to keep me dry on those cold rainy days, because I'd generate so much sweat, but I was warm at the very least. This time the split hurt to have pressure on and it left me with a scar. It's a very strange injury, as I've never been able to find anything online that matches it exactly, and as it's not been an issue for 3 years now, I've never consulted any medical professionals.

The next injury low and behold, was once again my foot! Although this time I'm having trouble remembering the exact cause of this one, but I think it actually happened while I was at home? I remember limping across the massive parking lot to Party City, my place of work, and doing so with a shopping bag wrapped around my foot, because I couldn't bare to have any pressure from the top of my shoe, and the ground was soaked and scattered with puddles. Luckilly I worked in the back room and didn't have to move terribly far, but for the next two days I had one regular shoe, and a sock and flipflop on the other.

My final or latest workplace injury should come of no surprise as it involves my foot. But there's a twist! This time I injured my left, and it was actually the result of me rushing so I and some coworkers could get back to work. We drove to a nearby grocery store during our morning break to get some stuff for a work party or something, and were running a little behind schedule. I was pushing the cart back from the car and realized at the last second it would be faster to out the cart in the drop off section in the parking lot rather than bring it all the way back to the store front. I made an "S" maneuver in the space of like 2 square meters, something ridiculously small for what I did, and I did a combination of rolling my ankle and banding my foot in half. Nothing broke that I'm aware of, but I had my leg up for the rest of the day on ice, and there was a residual pain for months. For all I knew I broke something, but I never thought it was bad enough to have looked at. Instead I became best friends with 800 mg doses of Ibuprofen.

Hopefully that's the end of the foot saga.

(edited)

Yes, I have. It was my first job as a veterinary technician after graduating vet tech school. I had only been working there for a less than a month when I got injured. I was working with a fractious cat and it scratched up my arm and bit my thumb; the canine going all the way through. I had to get stitches and file for workman’s compensation. It ultimately led to me resigning because after the incident, they cut my hours back ridiculously. 

Edited by The Wife of Law
  • Brohoof 1

The worst on the job injury was when I was working as a cave guide. I was sweeping puddles off the cave pathways before opening for tours and I hit my head on a stalactite really hard. By this time I had already been working there for a long time and had warned guests to watch their noggins countless times in that same spot, so I felt just a little stupid falling to my knees with blood pouring out of my scalp before the work day even began. My hair was a real mess after that (adding insult to injury). But I got on my feet and continued with my work as usual. I was shamelessly looking for sympathy all that day but didn't really get much. Oh well. 

Yes, in 2018 I worked at a retail store. At around 8:30 AM I was moving a table that had thin legs and a thick marble top in the back room (no one else was around). The table started slipping from my grasp, so I tried slowly lowering it down to the ground. Shortly before I was able to get it to the ground, it slipped and landed on my right foot, crushing my big toe.

I felt my toe throbbing, and had to limp when I walked, but I didn't tell anyone and worked until 1:00 that day. When I got home I saw that it was bleeding, and was much worse than I thought it was. I knew I wouldn't be able to work the next day, so I took the next day off. The injury occurred on a Thursday; by Monday, I was able to work (though it still hurt, and the toenail was visibly damaged).

Over half a year later, the damaged toenail came off. I was worried since it was a huge section that came off at once - I thought that I would have a large part of my toe unprotected, but it turned out that I had my toenail growing underneath the damaged toenail, so I was perfectly fine.

i've got scars on my palms from opening so many bottles. the caps are sharp, especially on vodka cruisers, so opening like 100 of them in one night cuts into ur skin. now do that over the course of months and now i've got scars on my palms. nowadays i just use bottle openers for twist-offs.

i've also cut my fingers plenty of times while cutting fruits.

I haven't so far...and hopefully it stays that way but with my future career working as a vet tech that could definitely change. :Thorax:

I got cut kinda deep on one of the knives I had to use cause I jerked my hand on accident. It wasn’t too bad other than it bled a lot for a couple of minutes. What was really bad is that there wasn’t a first aid kit and I was extremely luck to we happened to have one Bandaid left.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We have USPS cages (terrible btw) and when I was moving one it scraped right behind my ankle, above my heel. Hurt for almost two weeks. 

Another one was pulling skids out of a box truck, but the truck is like 5 inches too short for most docks. So when I was unloading at USPS I manged to pull some muscles in my arm trying to get skids up a steep ramp. Not fun.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...