Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What's your opinion on the website "Quora"?

AlicornSpell

Seems a bit weird. There are a lot of dumb easy math questions (which I guess is gaming the system somehow) and the mods there keep merging questions so that half the answers under a question don't make sense....

• Brohoof 1

Quora is a cesspool these days.   It used to be good at getting info on stuff but not so much anymore.   Especially when any Joe Blow can answer, and it’s covered with politics these days.

Just now, bubbleteapony said:

^^ I definitely only use it when I can't find an answer anywhere else. I ignored it for a loooooong time cause you used to not be able to even read the answers without an account, but I guess they changed that recently

There used to be a site called Experts Exchange that rewarded you for answering questions with t-shirts. Quora on the other hand seems to reward you for asking popular questions, so I am puzzled what their business model is....

It's great for providing possible answers to questions when you can't think outside of the box enough, and getting access to people who can deep dive into various topics, but it's not so useful on topics where answers can be reasonably opinionated.

It's best to view Quora as though you're looking at a conversation between heavy Wiki users, knowing that there's truth to most answers, but absolution can only be found in the primary sources.

1 hour ago, Treeglow Flicker said:

If I'm being honest. I've found confused Magic 8 Balls that have provided more accurate answers than that place. :yeahno:

Back when it first started it was actually pretty neat.  People who were experts in the topic of the question would chime in and you could get some pretty cool answers. 

Now a days it’s more like a social media platform because it kinda had to set up like one to survive, but you just can’t  trust it for anything anymore.  

Link plz!

I cannot hate it is I haven't seen it yet!

Spoiler

As long as it is not that dancing site, what was it called TIKTOK? Then it is fine right?

• 1 month later...

Some of the answers are good from what I've seen, but then there are a lot of nonsense replies that seemingly attempt to be philosophical and are often completely off-topic. :yeahno: It's also really confusing that users without accounts don't see the full questions (I used to wonder why the replies were addressing a lot of things that didn't even appear to have been mentioned by the asker).

It's not a site that I would ever join myself, I only use it if I come across it while searching for something.

• Brohoof 2

[ Ruby ] 

we tend to infodump, so quora is a good outlet for that since we just search a topic we know a lot about and then go to town, but we wouldn't recommend it for anything and most of the information there is unreliable. I can't say much on the community because we've never really touched it