Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Curiously, i'm just 18 years old but...

Mortimer

Lots of kids and teens seem to be discovering the things I grew up with and things even older. Just because something is old doesn't mean it's useless or irrelevant. My guess is that they're getting a bit bored with modern movies and games rehashing the same things year after year and could also be getting tired of the breakneck pace at which the world moves these days. Consequently, they start looking to the past, to times when certain ideas first manifested in media and when people took time to savor things rather than simply seeking momentary thrills before jumping on the next fad.

My music tastes are eclectic. I enjoy things from all eras. If I was to pick a favorite genre, it would probably be the Blues; see John Lee Hooker and James Cotton for the specific style that I go for. Cajun music does it too. Jazz and swing are what I normally listen to in the car.

Games? Give me a well-made side-scroller any day. I'm talking

and all those others that had control schemes that were about as simplistic as could be but challenged us more than anything made in the past 10 years. RPGs? Try
and
That's right, Crystalis. I thought of that game immediately when I learned the name of everypony's favorite changeling queen.

You know what I like the most about old RPGs? Doomsday predictions for the 90s. See the linked video above for Crystalis. The very first screen says:

1997, October 1,

The END DAY

That's great. They probably never expected somebody to remember that, let alone still be playing that game by that point in time. What's even funnier to me is that there are some people on this forum who weren't even born until after that time had passed. It's like those 50s sci-fi movies that predicted humanity would be a space-faring civilization by the 90s. I know I've gotten off on a bit of a tangent now, but it's one that I feel pretty good about. Now I've had a few laughs this evening.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying there's nothing of value in modern entertainment. I'm only saying that for all of our technological advancements we haven't really added any depth to older things that have been revived/revisited and that it's worth one's while to take a look at the origins of what we enjoy today. I also enjoy a few newer things like some forms of dubstep; bring on the rage.

Ha! You're old!

Nah, I feel you. I'll reach the quarter century mark this year. It seems that after I turned 22 I started feeling worse about my age, then some dude made

and now I feel really lousy.

Metropolis was quite ahead of its time. That movie is more appreciated today than it was back then.

True, like, the most complete version that has 25 more minutes in it was discovered in 2008 and released to the public in 2010.

man, me too, and i'm only fourteen years old. I hate the new music, it sucks like crazy. i love disco music and everyone makes fun of me for it as well as  me being a brony, it's why i dont go outside a lot. screw haters

Ha! You're old!

Nah, I feel you. I'll reach the quarter century mark this year. It seems that after I turned 22 I started feeling worse about my age, then some dude made

and now I feel really lousy.

I actually feel pretty darn good about my age. I think when I hit sixty though, I'll put a hold on the clock and keep it right there!

The way i see it you love retro/classic stuff back in the 90's/80's and there's really nothing wrong with that. In a way your appreciating that generations creations which in a way shapes up our present creations.

I like playing retro games all the time and classical music as well.

Given that I am told by my mum that she woke me up when I was a baby to watch the moon landing on a black and white TV set... I'm not sure I'm particularly qualified to answer you about being weird for liking things older than you. I'm sure there are older here than me, but that'll be a pretty small group. B)

What I can tell you is that stuff does tend to run in cycles, with old things showing up again in popular culture. And given the way the world works, the *good* old stuff (and the funny old stuff, even if it's not 'good' as such), shows up more often than the bad. There was just as much junk made in olden times, it just didn't survive. I watch a lot of very old movie serials that have been archived, and wow, there are some real doozies that have been forgotten about for good reasons. :)

In all honesty, the classics are >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>better than the more modern garbage being pulled out of the media moguls asses these days

Seriously though, all I hear on the radio these days is just idiots spewing about how much money they have (pop) or how they're going to get drunk and shit (some country and pop) or how awl da haomiez in da hood be doin' shit in da cluhb (rap and hip-hop), it's all just useless garbage

I find most of the classics to be a bit more enjoyable.

I rather listen to classics like Earth, Wind, and Fire OR steppenwolf

Hell, in most cases, I'll listen to Motley Crue or KISS TBH

I love old stuff, be it music, videogames or movies. Screw One Direction and Skrillex, i love bands like Dire Straits, Bill Haley, Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley.

I also find the PSX generation and below to be the ancient deities of videogames.

I also have this "guilty pleasure" of watching old movies, this month i fully watched:

-Cape Fear

-Gone with the wind (best five hours of my life)

-Dirty Dancing

And other great movies including The wizard of Oz, Who framed Roger Rabbit?, Viva Las Vegas, etc.

Is it weird? Does anyone else do it?

as a person born in the late 70's...I salute this post. Just the fact that you put Dirty Dancing in there gives you a win

But then you go on to mention Dire Straits and the king of pop...well done friend...keep the faith

You got great taste mate.  You don't have be like the others mindless young adults who likes everything that popular today.  HELL I'm nineteen years old and the Beatles favorite band, and my favorite movies is the Blues Brothers.  Being young and enjoy the old is not wrong at all.

I don't find your interests strange. As for me, I think the best music to have come out of this world is early-mid 20th century jazz and rock and pop from the 1980's to 90's. Old stuff such as Bee Gees, ELO, Nirvana, Queen, I like. Many of the modern music just doesn't cut it for me, even though I'm 16 and my friends listen to the popular musics of today. The only other music I listen to besides the ones I've mentioned is brony music. I have a playlist of stuff from the talented artists of this fandom!

I also have an interest in classic cars, primarily those dated before the 1980's. To me, most modern cars look relatively alike, and that the coolest looking cars were probably made in the 50's-60's.

Other things from the older days I enjoy are old movies, such as the first Die Hard's, Sahara (a 1940's WW2 film), The Great Escape (another really old WW2 classic), and Lethal Weapon.

• Brohoof 1

There is nothing weird about that . It only proofs your good taste of movies and games.

My (I'm 17 btw) favourite band is Pink Floyd(1967-1994) and i prever David Bowie ,Niravana Fats Waller, Frank Sinatra, The Beatles, The Turtles,The Rolling Stones, Queen, Tangerine Dream and Falco over most of nowadays music.

My favourite movies: The Lion King (1994) and A Clockwork Orange (1971)

:lol: oh yeah and i enjoy REALLY OLD movies too like:La Voyage de la luna(1905) or Metropolis(1925)

Long story short there is nothing wrong with you

• Brohoof 1

It's not particularly unusual actually. Most people seem to be taught to like what their parents like so when a new generation of things come up it's foreign and people don't bother with it or when they do try it it's too different from their usual stuff so they don't really give it much of a shot afterward.

Personally I tend to like newer stuff more, particularly metal and video games. Anything PS2-era and forward is the best gaming I've ever done. I actually can't stand the ways of some oldschool games, especially RPGs.

I should mention that is coming from a huge RPG whore. I play RPGs more than any genre. To me it doesn't make sense how people can not see how far video games have come, how advanced they've gotten, and then claim how older games were some sort of marvel when more often than not older games have far more problems than new games ever will, at least on the technical side of things.

Even stories have become far more complex this generation than they ever were in past ones. Voice acting only gets better and better and I'm personally convinced that people who don't like English voice acting these days have extremely terrible biased to the point they can't see how good it's gotten over the years.

Don't even get me started on music. Music, in combination with technology, now allows us to create sounds we never could before as well as all the sounds we could create before now! Every sound ever created by an instrument is available via computer programs if not by instrument and any sound can be altered in a computer program to sound even more different.

New and exciting genres of music pop up, old genres become more advanced, new vocal styles come into play.....

To me there has been far too much advancement to understand how people only focus on the old stuff when the new stuff is just.....it's so amazing. 

Blah blah, opinions opinions, but people look so harshly at new things that I almost think they aren't seeing things for what they are and just seeing what they want to see because it's not the older stuff they wanted.

I should mention that I'm not saying people CAN'T like old stuff more than new stuff, it's just when people like the old stuff and then HATE on the new stuff as if it hasn't done any good whatsoever that it gets to me.

• Brohoof 1

I should mention that I'm not saying people CAN'T like old stuff more than new stuff, it's just when people like the old stuff and then HATE on the new stuff as if it hasn't done any good whatsoever that it gets to me.

I have just as much of a problem with people who dismiss old stuff just because it's old. 

What you say may apply to a certain extent to video games where technology *is* the driving force, allowing for more options and telling more intricate stories, but when it comes to music, movies, and literature, technology doesn't necessarily help.  A well written, well directed, well acted movie is *always* going to be a well written, well directed, well acted movie. 

I have just as much of a problem with people who dismiss old stuff just because it's old. 

What you say may apply to a certain extent to video games where technology *is* the driving force, allowing for more options and telling more intricate stories, but when it comes to music, movies, and literature, technology doesn't necessarily help.  A well written, well directed, well acted movie is *always* going to be a well written, well directed, well acted movie. 

You misunderstand, I was never dismissing old stuff. That'd just be hypocritical. It's just new stuff ALWAYS gets a bad rap as if there's some sort of degradation in quality when I thoroughly refuse to accept that that is the case no matter the medium. Even in non-technology driven things (by the way, music is just as driven by technology these days thanks to the Electronic genres) you can't seriously tell me things are just getting worse. The human race hasn't decayed in intelligence, in fact we are even smarter now than we ever have been.

I simply refuse to believe that things that are new are so much worse than new ones except by people who can't get over the older stuff.

My problem comes with the fact that new things are the ONLY thing that get a bad rap most of the time. Older stuff never EVER seems to get complained about as far as media goes.

• Brohoof 1

You misunderstand, I was never dismissing old stuff. That'd just be hypocritical. It's just new stuff ALWAYS gets a bad rap as if there's some sort of degradation in quality when I thoroughly refuse to accept that that is the case no matter the medium. Even in non-technology driven things (by the way, music is just as driven by technology these days thanks to the Electronic genres) you can't seriously tell me things are just getting worse. The human race hasn't decayed in intelligence, in fact we are even smarter now than we ever have been.

I simply refuse to believe that things that are new are so much worse than new ones except by people who can't get over the older stuff.

My problem comes with the fact that new things are the ONLY thing that get a bad rap most of the time. Older stuff never EVER seems to get complained about as far as media goes.

That's because older stuff doesn't get the exposure and hype that newer stuff does. People dismissing the old for the new happens all the time- by refusing to talk about, acknowledge, or even give it a chance.  How many kids are turned off by a movie just because it's in black and white?  I'm an anime fan, and I can't tell you how many people I've seen who refuse to watch a series that's more than 10 years old.  For every person who prefers older material, there's always going to be someone who prefers new and flashy over tried and true.  New material has just that much greater presence, so you're going to have that much more discussion and opinions on it, both positive and negative. 

And FWIW, technology to make for new and different sounds doesn't necessarily make for better music.  It just makes for more variety. 

It's nothing incredibly strange, I'm 15, I like Victorian Era stuff, and especially when Steampunk is involved, and I may be the only 15 year old I know who listens to Frank Sinatra.

Since when has it ever been considered a guilty pleasure to be watching classic movies? I love classic movies too, but one big difference with me is that most of my favorites are foreign-languages films, like The 400 Blows, Amarcord, Jules and Jim, The Hidden Fortress, etc. I seem to be one of the very few hard-core bronies who values foreign/independent films more than almost anything else in the film industry. I'm actually right now trying to develop an internet web series where I review and try to promote various foreign films to other fellow bronies, and I just hope I can start it up really soon (like within a matter of days).

As for old music and video games, I still have my Nintendo 64 and most of my favorite games on that system, and I'm a big fan of 1960s/1970s pop music, including Cat Stevens, Simon and Garfunkel, The Beatles, Queen, and The Rolling Stones, among others.

• Brohoof 1

• 6 years later...

Many of the things mentioned in the opening post of this thread doesn’t seem old to me at all. Videogames, no matter when they came out, are not what I call the product of a bygone age. I don’t consider movies to be old unless they’re from the 1940s or older. That being said, I love old B&W movies, especially silent movies, old music (swing, big band, old Broadway, etc), and old clothing fashions and hairstyles, especially from the 1920s or earlier.