Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

DITR

On 4/15/2018 at 7:18 PM, BlackPony said:

- The Crystal Empire is great and over hated. It’s my second favorite premiere behind The Return Of Harmony.

TCE is one of my favorites as well.

• Brohoof 3

On 4/8/2018 at 2:28 AM, CypherHoof said:

Understandable; many bronies have said that Pinkie in S1 was just irritating, and they had to learn to like (if not love) her in later seasons. I think part of that is that she has rather rigid opinions on what is "fun" and tries to shoehorn those into other pony lives; Secrets and Pies and of course pretty much ANY Maud episode are clearly exploring this side of her though, so perhaps she CAN learn...

Pinkie Pie wasn't that bad as Fluttershy was in season one. She was shy, extremely uninteresting, dormat pushover. Fluttershy was a nice person I guess, so for the most part I just learned to like her.

• Brohoof 1

23 minutes ago, R.D.Dash said:

Pinkie Pie wasn't that bad as Fluttershy was in season one. She was shy, extremely uninteresting, dormat pushover. Fluttershy was a nice person I guess, so for the most part I just learned to like her.

[Looks at topic]

Yup, nailed it :)

Seriously though; flutters' shyness and social anxiety are played for and overplayed for laughs far too much in the early series'. We are shown occasional flashes of her true power (which, like the rest of the Mane 6, comes under the heading of "massively OP") but on the whole, it is only when there is a major decision point that she steps up and acts.  Frequent gag sequences where she is trying to tell everypony something and being ignored, really don't help either, nor does the Dragonshy scene where she is shown as being literally afraid of her own shadow.  Going back, and knowing more about her situation (that her social anxiety stems from being bullied and rediculed for her low wingpower) means you can have a lot more sympathy for her when re-watching than the first time though when she was just a stereotypical "shy kid". It also throws a light on Scootaloo's situation, although that may be more because of the different environment (ponyville is a lot friendlier than most equestrian cities).

The image of a lot of the ponies has matured over time; the CMC for example were massively irritating in Staremaster - to the extent you could wish the basilisk got to them earlier, and that doesn't change much rewatching it :)

• Brohoof 1

-I really hate Spike (and spike episodes, obviously)

-I despise Flurry Heart with a passion, and it bothers me that she is an alicorn and is probably going to be a major character later because of this.

-I don’t like Thorax or changeling episodes

-Don’t like alicorn Twilight (I feel it changed her personality for the worst, although I will admit that her unicorn years are what keep her on my favorites list).

• Brohoof 1

-All of the Equestria Girls movies (including Rainbow Rocks) are "meh" at best (Granted I haven't seen Legend of Everfree or anything after Friendship Games, but I don't really see much of a point of continuing a series that I don't really care for)

-Fame and Misfortune is a pretty hilarious and great episode and I honestly like it far more than Slice of Life.

-I've always found Starlight Glimmer to be a more interesting character than Sunset Shimmer

-I don't find Princess Spike to be that terrible, just mediocre.

-I liked Secrets and Pies

-Lost Treasure of Griffonstone is one of if not my favorite episode of the show.

yee

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Pinkie Pie is one of the least interesting members of the mane 6.

Given how bombastic and high energy she is, it wouldn't look that way at first.  But by serving as the role of comic relief, she hasn't really received much noticeable character development over the course of the show.  Which in turn is why I don't find her as interesting as  some of the other main characters.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 5

• 2 weeks later...

I hate that people ship characters with other characters.

I hate how Spike is underappreciated when he obviously has shown all Elements of Harmony within himself/his own personality just naturally. No one gives him respect.

Everytime I hear Fluttershy's voice, it's like nails on a chalkboard

I was really disappointed in Rainbow Dash's parents. Not to mention the creepy "we saved this diaper" thing, and they ended up giving it to Scootaloo? HOW. CREEPY. AND. GROSS. IS. THAT?! WHO GREENLIT THAT FOR THE SHOW? SOME FREAK WITH A FETISH IS WHAT IT WAS. People like that need to be beaten within an inch of their gross little lives.

I wish the Dragons looked better and weren't depicted as mostly big, stupid, ugly, brutish and destructive.

4 hours ago, Memento Mori said:

I hate that people ship characters with other characters. 

I think you just shared the most unpopular opinion I've seen, well played sir.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I loved Pinkie in the beginning of the show but after that found her to be extremely irritating. She's OK as of now.

Fluttershy was adorable at first, but people were too quick to defend her from the mildest criticism. I greatly disliked how her timidity was exaggerated in Season 2 For the Funnies, which didn't come off as funny in the first place. I think the staff does a much better job portraying Fluttershy now.

A lot of people dislike Rainbow Dash for her attitude, but when I disliked her, it was because of bad experiences with fans.

I have always strongly disagreed with the way Spike was treated throughout the show. Everyone else was waaaaaaaaaay too mean to him for far too long. I haven't followed the show for years so IDK what it's like now, but the way Spike is treated does seem to be improving.

I don't really agree with Gilda's redemption. The episode was solid, but Gilda originally represented how you have to let go of some friendships because they turn toxic. I think the ponies could have made friends with a different "cool" griffin (compared to Gabby, who was a perky griffin :p).

In fact, I don't like the general trend of every character apparently needing to see the magic of friendship. G4 has done more than anyone ever believed MLP could, and it arguably sparked the possibility for little girls' cartoons to have broader horizons. Since the show has achieved so much, I find it disappointing that mean or evil characters get redeemed so often. It's not realistic to have every bully, con artist, and royal tyrant turn out to be a misunderstood outsider who needs a hug. In fact, teaching little girls to see the world that way is dangerous. However, it is up to the girls' parents to explain that what they see on TV is not always real. I have faith that characters like Chrysalis, Sombra, and Tirek will remain evil, since the staff has said not everyone can change.

Also, I've always liked Celestia more than Luna. :p

(edited)

Seasons 7 and 5 are my least favorite seasons. While season 5 did have great successes like "Brotherhooves Social" and "The Cutie Map", it also flopped hard with episodes like "Crusaders of the Lost Mark" and "Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep". Season 7 on the other hand has my least favorite episode in "Parental Glidance" and no episodes that really knock it out of the park.

I really don't like Alicorn Twilight. She and Unicorn Twilight feel like completely different characters. It felt like Twilight lost almost all of the flaws she used to have as a Unicorn 

Starlight is the most interesting character on the show now and she had a much better reformation than Sunset. While Sunset went through development offscreen, we saw Starlight's entire process.

Edited by bigbertha

1.) I still don't really like Starlight Glimmer and even if this character would disappear forever I still couldn't care less about her and her disappearance.

2.) I find Flurry Heart annoying and pointless as a character and wish she and her annoying parents(their story is way too cheesy for my taste) would never appear on the show again or at least as rarely as possible.

3.) I want the return of the "Mean Six" and I want them to kill off Queen Chrysalis.

4.) I don't find Maud Pie entertaining or likeable at all.

On 5/7/2018 at 1:29 PM, BlackPony said:

Rainbow Dash’s parents are extremely obnoxious.

My problem wasn't that they were obnoxious, it's just that the story made them to be in the right, and Dashie in the wrong......  like in real life :dry:

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

My problem wasn't that they were obnoxious, it's just that the story made them to be in the right, and Dashie in the wrong......  like in real life :dry:

Except they never did anything wrong, all they did was be really loud an eccentric, while RD just let her frustration bottle up until she exploded and completely shat on them. Even if I did agree that RD was right to feel frustrated, I don't know what universe someone is from to think RD's outburst is anyway acceptable

Spoiler

Not to mention the episode never shits on her for that outburst, and still gives her a chance to fix her mistakes, which is much more than I can say about certain other episodes

I find that the show referencing the Movie to not be well received in Season 8. I am unfavorable of the Movie also because of what events did happen and did not happen during the Movie. Lost/wrong characterization, cramped devoid storytelling and the amount of change whilst still being considered canon to FiM really makes the Movie an unnecessary and odd addition to the show as a whole. It does not fit anywhere and anytime in the way that the show can potentially benefit from. 

• Brohoof 1

~ The first season is my least favorite; I actually almost quit on the show after that gala episode.

~ Celestia > Luna

~ I love "Fame and Misfortune" and found it more entertaining than "Slice of Life"

~ I had no problem with Twilight becoming an alicorn.

~ Flurry Heart is way over-hated. She's barely been in the show and she's still too young to even talk! I would have loved to watch her develop into a real character as she grew up. Sadly, that will probably not happen since the show is ending.

~ I don't hate any of the episodes and can't understand everyone else's need to criticize everything the writers do.

~ I'm excited for G5 and can't wait to see what the new show is like.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

i'm not here very long so i'm not certain what's popular and what isn't,but i have vague idea so here goes my list

I think Trixie is well is a well written character
I don't like that they encourage some ships(i don't like shipping in general)
I think Luna should still speak in her Royal canterlot voice
I absolutely hate Twilight's school and the student 6
I think the CMC represent friendship better than the mane6

Edited by Lord Valtasar
  • Brohoof 1

I thought the movie was decent, but it basically felt like an extended episode. Honestly it didn't really do anything the show hasn't done before - exploring new lands, a main character gets betrayed, antagonist is reformed.

• Brohoof 1