Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Alcohol: your view on it?

Atom Flash

Alcohol is a thing, and hopefully isn't made to hurt or kill, nor is it an excuse to. You can use it in a good way, or misuse it for bad.

I've no view on alcohol; only on alcoholics.

Not a huge fan of the taste, though, to be honest... =/

Edited by Edwardo_Brony
  • Brohoof 1

I have whiskey listed as one of my interests. Vodka isn't bad either if you mix it with the right kind of soda.

There's nothing wrong with it as long as you're responsible and it doesn't make you angry or violent.

Will it ultimately shorten your life? Probably. But I'd rather die younger than miss out on what life has to offer.

• Brohoof 1

Drugs (including alcohol) are partially responsible for much of the programming America has been privy 2 - probably MLP included. Many of us would not be if here is mom had not had a few shots or puffs.

Well... since you asked...

Every time I drink beer I do this. Does that answer your question?

I'm not addicted, okay? I just think it's funny.

Edited by Admiral Regulus

It can fuck up your life and the ones of those around you. Trust me, I know. Or, at least if you consume too much. If you got good willpower, you'll only do it in moderation, like my mom's boyfriend. He's pretty good with it.

Edited by Shenron00

Never tasted a single drop of it, yet it has already ruined my life.

Lots of abuse went on because all my father figures were alcoholics :P

So, I'm discouraged from even drinking it. 

I know, that alcohol itself is not the monster. But I know my level of will power. I would probably use alcohol as an escape if I ever did taste it, and I don't want that.

I mean. Have any of you seen that movie with Denzel Washington? "Flight"?

Watching him go through that struggle, I just. I felt like that would easily be me (minus the cocaine).

I'm a teenager, what am I supposed to say?

I dislike spirits. All they achieve is hangovers, unexpected drunkenness, and pain.

Beer, Cider, etc. Now, they're good. They taste good if you know which to get, they're predictable, and they're the ultimate chilled drink. 

Bottom line: You should be able to remember and enjoy the drinking, if you don't, you're doing it wrong. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm 17 don't smoke at all or do any drugs, alchohol only when there's a party or things like that. It's called being the most clean teenager alive in France (i'm french) they almost all do drugs or drink so much that they throw up...so that makes me the most uncool person too...ironic isn't it ? 

I almost died of acute pancreatitis, liver damage and kidney stones on my twenty-fourth birthday as a direct result of binge drinking. I am slightly worried that the negative physical effects of excessive alcohol consumption are rarely discussed.

I started drinking to ease my anxiety and to induce sleep; I have been mentally ill and have suffered from severe insomnia for most of my life, and alcohol seemed like the perfect cure (although I did not start drinking until the age of twenty.)

Long story short, within months I was drinking excessively. I began to experience terrible pains in my mid torso, throwing up undigested food whenever I ate and eventually blacked out while wandering in a daze around the mental institution I was a voluntary patient in at that time.

I woke up in a pool of my own vomit and blood (I had fainted and fallen hard, cracking open my chin.)

Spent a week or so in a hospital bed with a drip in my arm flushing out the toxins.

Pancreatitis is widely accepted as the worst pain anyone can feel. It is, apparently, rather rare but almost always caused in part by alcohol consumption.

I believe the pain is caused by an overproduction of stomach acid. Basically, it is like digesting your own internal organs.

I no longer drink alcohol.

Alcohol is annoying in the attitude that surrounds it. My mom has never had any alcoholic drinks, and people constantly ask her why. When she responds, "I just don't want to," people seem to make it their mission to make her have some. They just can't take "no" for an answer when it comes to the stuff.

I don't drink alcohol and have no intention of trying it. I'm aware of the risks involved and I am strongly opposed to the excessive drinking of it.

Now, if they were to make alcohol illegal, it wouldn't fix anything; people would just keep trying to get it. I think it's better that we inform people of what they're getting into.

I've never had it, though I am old enough to purchase it for myself.

It's on my list of things I never plan to try along with coffee, smoking, and illicit drugs.

If other people want to have it responsibly, that's none of my business.

The smell to me is horrid and I don't get why someone would want the effects of it.

I have no interest in lowering my inhibitions or my intelligence level even temporarily.

This is a personal code, not a religious one.

Edited by DexterousWings

I personally would never drink alcohol. I've smelt it before and it smells like it would have that bitter taste that I don't like. Plus, these things look more hazardous to your health than soda. I won't stop people from drinking it but it's just personally not my thing.

For the sake of this discussion I'll break my own anonymity here and say that I'm an alcoholic who's been in recovery now for almost twenty three years.  (It'll be twenty three years on July 27th, God willing and one day at a time.)

For most people alcohol isn't a big deal and doesn't cause problems. They can happily enjoy a drink or two with friends with no problems, take it or leave it.

But, for people like me, alcohol is a real killer not because it's poisonous (which it is) and not just because of all the problems we may cause while being drunk, but because drinking gives folks like us an unrealistic sense of ease and comfort, removes our inhibitions and gives us a false sense that we're actually better in social settings with it than we are without it and this is where the problem comes from.

For those like me that first drink can be instantly addctiing and if we continue in it we quickly find we cannot do without that drink that gives us that sense of ease and comfort.

In that sense it's not the alcohol itself that gives us the real problems but the effect it has on us and we can quickly find ourselves not being able to face the day without that sense of ease and comfort.

If any of you are facing problems with alcohol I strongly suggest you deal with it now before it gets too bad and, trust me! It always gets worse, never better!

• Brohoof 1

I have no interest in lowering my inhibitions or my intelligence level even temporarily.

Alcohol can certainly lower your inhibitions and impair your decision making ability, but in my experience it doesn't have a noticeable effect on intelligence.

I'm a programmer, and have written some pretty damn good code while drunk. (And I mean that when reading it back sober, I have judged it to be very good.)

Edited by Vital Spark
  • Brohoof 1

Alcohol can certainly lower your inhibitions and impair your decision making ability, but in my experience it doesn't have a noticeable effect on intelligence.

I'm a programmer, and have written some pretty damn good code while drunk. (And I mean that when reading it back sober, I have judged it to be very good.)

Part of intelligence to me is good decision making ability.

I consider someone who makes good decisions  to be more intelligent than someone who makes bad decisions.

Either way, it doesn't move my opinion on the subject a modicrum.

Edited by DexterousWings

• 7 years later...