Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you ever had/have braces?

Zygen

71 users have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had/have braces?

• Yeah I did
    • Nope, my teeth are fine thank you
    • No, i just don't want them or want to spend the cash.

Well i just felt like asking because the idea came to me, and i'm not aware of it being a topic here.

Have you ever had braces? 

I know alot of people have, i mean a good bit of people I know have at one point, of course I'm sure plenty haven't. I actually myself haven't had them yet.

The dentist did actually say that I should have them, however I didn't get them for a few reasons.

First of all, i'm a trumpet player, and playing trumpet with braces is going to impair me alot, plus I have a trio to play, and I'm definitely not going to let down people by getting braces and throwing my tone and playing away. Especially not when people are counting on me.

And also, despite my dentist saying I have an underbite(I think I have an underbite, i forget which ;p, maybe I have an overbite..) i've had people actually compliment me on my smile saying its "perfect" so like what gives? I think i'll keep my "Perfect" smile thank you very much(Even if i don't see whats so special about it.)

Also we don't really have the cash to throw away for that.

So yeah, I guess even if my teeth aren't perfectly straight they're good enough to the point I don't feel i need or want braces.

Not to mention they look painful :/. 

So yeah, what about y'all? Do any of you have braces? Or had them? whats your experience with them?

Or are you just someone with naturally perfect teeth? ;p.

I'm curious! So yeah post away! :P.

• Brohoof 3

I've never had braces of any kind at all. Which i'm actually suprised about to be honest as i'm not exactly "brushie brushie" all the time, and i've had moments where derpy has the grace of an acrobat compared to me.

• Brohoof 1

Yup, used to have braces. I had em for like a little over 4 years, I think. It wasn't too bad, but it was kind of annoying having to put on the rubber bands. Sometimes they would snap in my mouth when I yawned and it would hurt :/ Even though they weren't that bad, I was pretty happy to get them off. Life is much better without them.

• Brohoof 1

I've never had braces of any kind at all. Which i'm actually suprised about to be honest as i'm not exactly "brushie brushie" all the time, and i've had moments where derpy has the grace of an acrobat compared to me.

I'm pretty habitual with my brushing, i have got the night time routine down, so other then the day time(Which i'm pretty good at keeping up with) i'm good.

I normally brush atleast once daily. but try to get twice. 

My teeth are a bit out of wack, but as far as I know I don't have any cavities or anything atleast.

Oh god, yeah I had braces for like over 3 years...it was horrible. It's extremely painful and it hurts soooo bad to try and eat anything, even soft food. It sucked so much when I had them...

Dang. I had a friend who had them for like 2-3 years. Of course he didn't seem to have any issues with eating, but idk. 

I don't really know why he had them that long, most people I know only have them like a year or so. 

Sounds like its real bad though. More the reason for me not to get them ;p.

I've never had braces, never needed them my teeths are straight, I have that colgate smile I guess my teeths are very good but not perfect to be honest. They're nice looking and I try to keep them that way.

So I have no experience with braces but some people that have had them have ended up bleeding from them because they have an impact on that area. 

• Brohoof 1

Yup, used to have braces. I had em for like a little over 4 years, I think. It wasn't too bad, but it was kind of annoying having to put on the rubber bands. Sometimes they would snap in my mouth when I yawned and it would hurt :/ Even though they weren't that bad, I was pretty happy to get them off. Life is much better without them.

Dang 4 years? Thats a heck of a long time ;p. Why so long?

And ow. That does sound kinda painful. 

And yeah, i guess overall life is better, especially since I'd assume your teeth are pretty straight now ;p.

I've never had braces, never needed them my teeths are straight, I have that colgate smile I guess my teeths are very good but not perfect to be honest. They're nice looking and I try to keep them that way.

So I have no experience with braces but some people that have had them have ended up bleeding from them because they have an impact on that area. 

Mine actually aren't that straight, some are kinda messed up, but idk if its all that bad ;p.

depends where you look i guess. 

I usually smile with just one set of teeth, so maybe thats why my smile is so admirable or whatever ;p.(Or people are just messing with me)

Yeah, and I have kinda sensitive gums, i have a feeling i'd be bleeding alot. Mostly from accidents.

like i said though even if i need them they'd impact my trumpet playing to much when this year its kinda important, and I just don't feel I could get them.

Hopefully i'll be ok.

• Brohoof 1

Nope, I've never had them. My teeth aren't perfectly straight, but they're straight enough so that I don't need braces. I've always thought it would be cool to get different colored rubber bands, though... but I don't think I would want braces even if I needed them.

• Brohoof 1

Dang 4 years? Thats a heck of a long time ;p. Why so long?

And ow. That does sound kinda painful. 

And yeah, i guess overall life is better, especially since I'd assume your teeth are pretty straight now ;p.

It had to do with me having an overbite. And yeah, it's just better not to have braces :P your teeth look and feel better, food doesn't get stick in your teeth as easily, you don't look as much like a little kid (since most people who have braces are pretty young), the list goes on.

• Brohoof 1

Nope, I've never had them. My teeth aren't perfectly straight, but they're straight enough so that I don't need braces. I've always thought it would be cool to get different colored rubber bands, though... but I don't think I would want braces even if I needed them.

Mine aren't perfect, mine are kinda eh, they're ok i guess idk ;p.

I guess, and different colored braces ;p. If i got them i'd probably get like... green or something, because i like green ;p.

It had to do with me having an overbite. And yeah, it's just better not to have braces tongue.png your teeth look and feel better, food doesn't get stick in your teeth as easily, you don't look as much like a little kid (since most people who have braces are pretty young), the list goes on.

Yeah, true, i mean braces do basically realign your teeth slowly, which i can imagine isn't very comfortable... 

And yeah they do tend to get them young, of course i know people my age who got them, but its rare.

I dunno if i'd get them due to that almost, i mean i'd feel so out of place being so old with them, i'm 16. 

So I guess hopefully my teeth are straight enough and all that i won't need any. Especially because i don't want to learn to play trumpet with braces :/.

Yes I have.  I didn't like them at the time but it had to be done.  The elastics were no problem.  I hated the headgear because that forced me to sleep on my back when I prefer to lie down on my stomach.  But the most annoying part was the monthly adjustments where everything gets tightened up another notch.  Every time for the next 24-48 hours, my teeth were so sore from the pressure I could hardly eat any solid food at all.  blush.png

• Brohoof 2

I have them right now and I hate them. I can't eat anything without saving half if it in my teeth, and the elastics. THE ELASTICS. They are the bane of my existence

Sounds like a pain in the but, i value all my food to :/.

The elastics sound painful, and annoying, but i only know what i hear from friends.

Yes I have.  I didn't like them at the time but it had to be done.  The elastics were no problem.  I hated the headgear because that forced me to sleep on my back when I prefer to lie down on my stomach.  But the most annoying part was the monthly adjustments where everything gets tightened up another notch.  Every time for the next 24-48 hours, my teeth were so sore from the pressure I could hardly eat any solid food at all.  blush.png

Yeah i guess sometimes so, idk maybe i do need them beats me, but frankly I think my teeth are fine. Besides why ruin my "Perfect smile"

I always sleep on my back or side ;p. Mostly my side though, but yeah.

And oh, yeah those seem to sound painful, since your entire set of teeth are shifted around. That would suck so much :/.

I really don't wanna get them, and probaly won't unless I really really need them or my parents make me. 

I currently have braces, but they aren't much of a problem to me. Most of the time, I just stop noticing them altogether.

However, for the first few months, I only needed braces for my top teeth and some elastics, which were quite a pain. The braces were quite painful, but the pain only lasted for about a week, maybe less. The elastics were just plain annoying, even though they didn't hurt, it was so irritating to keep having to re-hook them after they slip every few hours or even minutes. However, now that I've been given braces for my bottom teeth, I no longer needed elastics. At least, I assumed, since I can no longer hook them. The bottom braces hurt for a week as well, but after that, everything's been fine.

Even though I don't seem to mind them, I'm drinking one hot drink a day, since I'm told it speeds up the process.

• Brohoof 1

I have braces, and yeah, they are a pain.

But I wanted to say that I play a brass instrument like you, but having braces doesn't impair that much. Just saying.

Well, idk, i mean my band director and every other trumpet player I know has said that braces impair your playing. And all the players i know have had their range decreased alot by having them. When they got them off they had better ranges. And better playing overall.

Infact one of the trumpet players we have just got them not long ago, and she couldn't even play for a while really. 

So i dunno, maybe it affects some brass more then others? Idk ;p. 

I just really don't want to have anything impairing me especially this year when I have a trio to play in. I dunno.

I'm not really that good honestly ;p. Most of the reason i'm apart of the trio is simply because i'm good at blending with smaller groups, and I guess I blend decently overall. 

Its not really like I am skilled much.

I currently have braces, but they aren't much of a problem to me. Most of the time, I just stop noticing them altogether.

However, for the first few months, I only needed braces for my top teeth and some elastics, which were quite a pain. The braces were quite painful, but the pain only lasted for about a week, maybe less. The elastics were just plain annoying, even though they didn't hurt, it was so irritating to keep having to re-hook them after they slip every few hours or even minutes. However, now that I've been given braces for my bottom teeth, I no longer needed elastics. At least, I assumed, since I can no longer hook them. The bottom braces hurt for a week as well, but after that, everything's been fine.

Even though I don't seem to mind them, I'm drinking one hot drink a day, since I'm told it speeds up the process.

I see, seems different people just have difference experiences.

And only one row of teeth?  i never knew you could have that. 

And dang, i would get so fed up with that. 

Maybe its just initial pain dunno. Did you get them tightened yet? Maybe that would cause pain again. 

And i guess thats understandable, i wouldn't want them longer then i needed them.

• Brohoof 2

Ah braces... I remember you fondly! Who am I kidding? I hated those things! The only good thing about them was that I got out of school for my orthodontist appointments. I played the tuba in school, yeah those braces sure helped a lot! At first I tried to take care of them. Bit like most kids I got bored with them and I stopped caring. So the doctor just gave up on me and removed them early. I had a normal retainer for my upper teeth and a fixed retainer for my bottom. It's been a little over 5 years and I still haven't gone back to get it removed. It'll fall out eventually, maybe.

• Brohoof 1

Ah braces... I remember you fondly! Who am I kidding? I hated those things! The only good thing about them was that I got out of school for my orthodontist appointments. I played the tuba in school, yeah those braces sure helped a lot! At first I tried to take care of them. Bit like most kids I got bored with them and I stopped caring. So the doctor just gave up on me and removed them early. I had a normal retainer for my upper teeth and a fixed retainer for my bottom. It's been a little over 5 years and I still haven't gone back to get it removed. It'll fall out eventually, maybe.

Yeah i guess thats a plus, although it does mean missing tests and having to make stuff up sometimes, which i personally don't like.

And i also wouldn't wanna miss band class.

Oh, yeah probably didn't help, luckily most of our band members have them taken off, but a few have them, or have even just got them.

I don't plan to be apart of the group with them. I try to keep my teeth healthy, i figure they're not to crooked.

My dentist tells me every time, except last time...odd, that I need braces. Guess it's true, but my dad doesn't wanna pay for them, and I just don't want them, so I don't have them. Guess if they had pony bracelets I'd think about it.

• Brohoof 1

They says I need braces, but I'm sure they only want money. So no, I won't have them.

-They are a lot of trouble and demands a lot of attention, which I cannot give to braces.

-Darn expensive.

-The way my teeth are placed, they can cut through almost anything.

-When teeth are too straight, it doesn't look good.

So basically: What a waste of time and money.

-Also, there are some chances that you need to wear something in your mouth for a whole life, the teeth might gtfo of your mouth lol.

And you can always remove a tooth or two to have more space in your mooth, useless teeth. But since they want moneh, they put braces that costs thousands of dollars.

• Brohoof 1

I had braces, they straightened out my teeth. If you do decide to get them make sure you
A)Wear your Retainer when you get them off 

B)If you still have wisdom teeth get them removed. I was pretty bad at remembering to wear my retainer and my wisdom teeth started shifting putting pressure on my other teeth (forcing them to get all crooked and weird again).

Since I got my wisdom teeth removed I opted to getting braces put back on to re-align (it was also painful to chew due to the shifts). Braces aren't so bad now, you can get clear brackets, and all you can see is the wire. It took some of my friends who I didn't tell about it 3-4 months before they noticed I even had them. They're really not too horrible, just gotta make sure to take care of your teeth and not eat foods that can brake your braces -- really chewy stuff (laffy taffy/starburst) or really hard stuff (doritos/nuts). 

In the end it's your decision. If it isn't impacting your health, your ability to eat or you still have wisdom teeth, I wouldn't suggest getting them unless they are bothering you.

• Brohoof 1

I've got them now. To be honest, I never really notice them, and they only go across 6 of my top teeth. I needed them because my retainer which I had before for like 3 years to sort out an under-bite I had caused a massive gap in between my two top front teeth. 

They'll only be in for another couple of months, and no-one's really noticed them.

• Brohoof 1

I'm three years into my second set of braces. Hopefully, I'll get them off sometime this month. Then again... That's what I was hoping for last month... I miss Snickers sad.png

Edit: I forgot to mention, I just got my pallet expander off in July. So I got that going for me. smile.png

Edited by Arretez
  • Brohoof 1

I had braces from 5th to 8th grade.  I played the trombone, and aside from hurting a little the first time you play with them they don't impair ones playing.  I had very troublesome teeth back then.  I had nearly all my baby teeth pulled and had surgery on my mouth 3 times.

• Brohoof 1