Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general How do you feel when no one replies to your status updates?

Slice0Pie

@@Dsanders, I lost my faith in humanity long ago. Sometimes someone does something good and there's that spark, but it quickly fizzles out. :lol:

that kind of stupidity and social close-mindedness

This is exactly the reason why I'm nowhere near as active on Facebook as I used to be. Really the only reason I even get on there anymore is to talk to my best friend who lives in Germany (I live in the US). Because calling her on the phone isn't cheap. Using Skype isn't always convenient. So we use Facebook and Whatsapp. 

But yeah, people on Facebook and Twitter tend to be a special kind of stupid. 

• Brohoof 2

Activity level is the biggest factor in determining popularity around here. Those who post constantly and everywhere get noticed the most and more people go to their profiles, and therefore when they make status updates they'll get more responses. Not much more to it than that. Spray posts all over the place and watch your comment/popularity level skyrocket. :P

Doesn't bother me when people don't reply to mine. I make statuses with the expectation that they won't get any and don't even make them very often. At least not in comparison to most people I see around here. My thinking is pretty abstract and wording a simple thought into a statement suitable for a status update can be hard. I usually only do it when something suddenly comes to mind with great clarity and requires no effort on my part to articulate.

• Brohoof 4

Well, it depends.

If the status has something relevant to comment on, then i get a little down, but i understand not every status can be commented on, trust me i get tons a day xD, i don't have time to comment on each and everyone.

if its one that is just kinda there, and not something with much to discuss it doesn't bother me really.

Its certainly nice to get comments regardless, simply because its fun to have conversations there ;p.

• Brohoof 1

I don't feel a thing. Status updates get bumped off the first page pretty quickly because there's so many active users.

Exactly.  Good timing when you post a status update is the key.  MLPForums isn't as cliquey as other boards I've been on, but the tendency for groups of people to hang out together still exists.  If I really want replies to a status update, I post it when several of my closest friends are on.  The odds of getting comments are much better. 

But if I get few or no replies to status updates, I don't fret.  They're on the first page so briefly even your best friend can miss it.  Only a handful of us like Chaotic Discord and Sir.Flutter Hooves are so popular they can sneeze and get dozens of comments.  :derp: 

• Brohoof 4

I don't feel a thing. Status updates get bumped off the first page pretty quickly because there's so many active users.

I feel that being ignored either through status updates, not getting brohoofs, and not being quoted is becoming a recurring theme around here lately. Yeah I may one of the old geezers here with some popularity behind me, but don't let yourselves get down if you aren't getting any interaction. I've lurked the past 8 months or so and I hardly see members I used to talk to a lot back in the day so I'm kinda regaining my footing around here and seeing some new faces.

Best way to get some interaction is to be proactive and put yourself out there first and you post and quote others and give brohoofs. Don't be a wallflower and wait for action. It's a busy board and people might intend to interact with you but then get sidetracked by a new post or status. Be the change you want to see in the forums  :D

Pretty much my reaction, minus the not feeling a thing. I've been gone on and off for so many months, and I get hardly as much attention as I used to. (Part of it probably 'cause I'm not a mod anymore and they have this ridiculous cult of popularity behind them just because they get a few buttons. @_@) 

Yeah, I feel sad nobody responds to my status updates, that I don't get as many brohoofs or quotes me as much as they used to. It's a VERY frequent occurrence. I once remember I'd get at least one response whenever I posted a status update. But back then, there were fewer members. Now, there's just a bajillion people posting them constantly that it almost feels pointless to post one 'cause it'll just get shoved off the face of the page. But I don't give up. I keep trying, trying to get back into this community like I used to, trying to become known so that I can interact with many people. I try to be proactive, try to keep posting, just trying to regain my footing. Just like Doctor XFizzle says.

Edited by Arylett Dawnsborough
  • Brohoof 3

It's a status update, you want to tell people how you feel, what you have done or something like that. A reply is not always necessary in my opinion. People probably do read your status updates but can't find a reply that is not useful sometimes or because it's already been said or whatever reason. No offense when I don't get replies, on the other hand I wouldn't mind either way.

I'm in this situation right now actually, not with a status but with a topic I created in the Fan Art section. I posted a picture I wanted some opinions of. The page itself has had like 70+ views last time I checked and not one person has left a comment. Really?. I get that not every one intends to comment after reading a post but when 70+ people have seen it and not one has replied I can't help but think what the heck is going on especially when every other topic has some. Buck it, i'm going to upload it here too. Feedback is (very) appreciated.

post-8423-0-19575700-1387453552_thumb.png

Edited by Bucky_McGillycuddy

It doesn't bother me one bit. It seems the most popular statuses to reply to are ones where someone is talking about how depressed they are. If no one is replying to my status, it probably means that I'm not depressed, so that's a great thing! :3

Seriously though, the people who actually bother to look at my profile will see the status update there anyways. And if anyone actually cares about me for one reason or another, they will reply to it from there rather than seeing it on the forum index. It's those replies that are actually important to me anyways.

• Brohoof 2

I don't really care when my statuses don't get replies, mainly because I understand that some people won't see it due to things like different timezones/me being crazy and posting statuses at very inactive times of day/people not having anything to say about the topic I'm discussing/Space pirates kidnapping the userbase, etc...

I don't expect people to reply to mine, as  I don't expect people to care about me. It's as simple as that.

Haha, pretty much. The initial reason I joined this site is to 'come out of my shell', so to speak, but the main reason is to get my MLP-related thoughts and opinions out in a safe place. I don't feel bummed out if my statuses/blogs don't get any comments or brohoofs; it feels good to me just to get my thoughts out. :)

• Brohoof 2

Here on the forums? Meh. I don't tend to read others' status updates, so why should they read mine? If I'm asking a question that I'm just putting out there randomly and I don't feel warrants a topic of its own, I'm slightly put out if nobody responds, but that'd be the same as if nobody responded to a topic I made. I don't make that many status updates on the forums anyway.

If you mean on something like FB, it depends on the situation. If I'm just like "Blargh, ate some toast" or something like that, I couldn't care less if people comment on it. I just felt like saying something. I wasn't expecting anyone to respond. If I pose an open question, however, I get a little miffed if nobody responds. More than that, I get annoyed when I pose a serious question and the respondents all take it like a joke and give me BS answers. If I post something poignant, well thought out and clever and nobody notices, it disappoints me. Like, I went through all the trouble and nobody cares...

Sometimes I feel kinda sad (especially when I want status update to sparkle into a conversation with random person), sometimes I just get over it. Depends for me. But I am always sad when I get no goodbye hugs on my "good night" status update! :( (... I had to say it :P )

• Brohoof 1

Disappointed not much more then that I have already broken a lot of statuses in the past. I tend to get replies to my statuses not as many replies at least I'm not constantly breaking them like before.

Sometimes I do feel ignored though, but I know that can't be the case.

Though yeah as long as people read it I'm fine with it, I'm not upset.

The only thing that honestly bothers me about it is that when I post like a "Good morning" or something like that maybe a few people respond. But then when I actually post something serious no one responds to it.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I'm kinda used to it IRL. But it doesn't happen to me much here :P. Maybe if I ask who plays mechwarrior online and nopony answers. But yeah, nopony plays that except for me :P

• Brohoof 1

I post my statuses for myself, so I don't care whether or not people actually reply - it doesn't make me full ignored or anything, I get plenty of replies and quotes in the normal threads.

I assume it is because no one cares about what I have to say with that particular status. Makes sense I guess, what I have to say really doesn't matter, though it does get a little annoying when you post something interesting and no one cares but you may see another status of someone desperately trying to be funny or interesting or stand out or whatever and it gets 20+ comments.

Edited by Kyoshi
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think about this a whole lot, because I don't update my status that much. Even though I usually try to login every day, sometimes I can go for months without updating my status. I usually get a few replies to my status updates. When I don't, I feel slightly down about it to some degree but I usually just brush it off and move on.

I'm not really one for status updates. There's nothing that happens to me that's really worthy of updating, unless I'm getting a profile to a new site, and even then that doesn't happen all that often. I'm not very popular here anyways, but there's so many other people on this site, so I don't mind.

I have to admit it – lately, it's quite lonely being on MLPforums and it just wasn't as inclusive as it used to be. Most of the time, only a couple of old and rather distant friends take notice of what I say, whether it is in a status update, a post, a blog, whatever. And it kind of gives me a dull feeling when I think how friendly this place used to be.

Edited by Mistress Marevelous
  • Brohoof 1