1. 1. What kind of phone do you have?

• iOS
    • Android
    • Blackberry
    • Nokia
    • HTC
    • Windows
    • Other

Android. Apple feels like it's developed for you to use the devices in a certain way without being able to customise much. Android lets me do more and it doesn't feel as restricted. The only apple thing i use is iTunes and even now i'm thinking about tossing it aside so i don't have to update it every month. 

• Brohoof 2

Personally, I rather dislike Android.

And I love iOS, although, I don't have an iPhone, just a iPod, but same thing in terms of OS.

• Simple UI.
  • Lots of apps.
  • Very stable - I know that some Android devices that I've seen, have been terrible, and had stupid glitches and bugs.

Although, I haven't used an Android all that much.

When it comes to computers, I hate Macs. Hate 'em. I like love Windows.

I've never tried an Android device yet so I can't say much about them. At the moment I use an iPhone which I think is awesome in my opinion. I love the design of the iPhone's and the software is nice and easy to use but somewhere down the road I may try out an Android device. 

I've always been 50/50 on the whole Apple V Android.

I prefer Apple for it's better system stability and the fact I find it more aesthetically pleasing. 

Androids though offer much more freedom and the fact you don't have to use goddamn itunes to put things on phones and tablets that run it.

My opinion blackberry 10 os, I always hear people complain about problems with android and apple is and evil company and are usually over priced, the new blackberry os has been running great for me so far and they build a good durable phone as well, but they don't have as many apps but I don't use apps so I'm okay with it, I don't plan on switching back any time soon. And the layout is simple as well and easy to use, the BlackBerry hub works really well too.

Each one has it's perks and annoyances.

Apple:

+Stable and reliable, no worry of viruses

+More apps than Android (I think), even if there are tons of stupid ones

+Very easy to use

+Quite a few features

-Very restrictive

-Hardly customizable

-VERY expensive

-Extreme Memory limitations (That is my biggest problem)

-Overpriced accessories

Android:

+Very open and easy to use once some time is spent with it

+Tons of customization

+Plethora of devices to choose from

+Very good prices on some devices that use it

+It feels much more sleek

-Potential for viruses

-Some devices can be very cheaply made

-A bit difficult to get the right set up at first

That is all I can think of at the moment. I have used Apple a lot more than Android but I am thinking of investing in a cheaper Android Google Play tablet thingy to get more experience with that, plus more memory for videos and stuff since Apple loves to chokehold the memory for horrendous prices.

So....I cannot make an exact preference at this point. Both can be very enjoyable in their own way and I think that is what counts.

• Brohoof 2

I'm all for Android. I don't want to say I'm against apple, but I'm guilty of it. I jailbroke my iPod touch when I still had one and it was amazing. I have Android all over me now and I'm happy. I like having options because I'm a somewhat tech savvy person.

• Brohoof 1

@Morager your avatar brings back so many memories

Screw both I got my flip phone features: an antennae, removable battery, 1.3 megapixel camera, and the best part it's not easily broken. 

Android although I can't say I've used many of Apples products: I don't even think I knew what this whole android thing even meant when I got my first smart phone it was just a smart phone and it was cool.

All my familys products are android, and android works for me and I see no reason to buy anything else: I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 with all the bells and whistles for what I want and I'm as happy as Larry

Edited by Asherdangerdash

Apple's interface sucks. I used an iMac at work and could never figure out how to do stuff with it. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 as my personal phone and an iPhone 5 as my work phone. I can do a lot more with my Android, such as plugging it into a computer and getting files off of it!!!! Or, here's an idea for Apple: How about being able to put a memory card into the phone. Or change the battery. Or browse the files. I hate Apple's products.

• Brohoof 1

I haven't used iOS because of its limitations. I have however used Android and am currently running 4.3 on my Nexus 4. My verdict is it still sucks hardcore. FroYo sucked, Gingerbread sucked, and Key Candy Jelly Cane Lime Pie Bean continues the tradition of suckage.

Where to begin...

For starters, no terminal access. A java machine on top of a linux kernel (outdated at that) with no built in terminal. However, in order for you to get a useful terminal, you need root access. Why this doesn't involve entering a password is beyond me. Malware is an issue. Let me repeat that, MALWARE IS AN ISSUE ON MY CELL PHONE. There's an open app store, then there's an anarchists app store, then there's google play. Then there's the whole Java on top of Linux thing which means an automatic performance hit.

My preferred phone OS?

Maemo. That's right. A four year old, long dead, but pure linux OS. It actually understands that my phone is my phone. As such it has a built in terminal. Root access is as simple to get as installing a package. It has the best multitasking to date still and runs decently on its 4 year old hardware.

Hopefully Sailfish and Ubuntu touch will change this, but if Tizen is anything to go by, they won't.

Edited by A Blithering Div

I'm sorry, I need to drop a short rant here. I hope nobody minds...

I have yet to be convinced in any way that iOS is simpler to use than android, the two GUIs besides aesthetics are pretty damn near identical. I've had to learn both to provide tech support for my family, they are much more similar in this regard than you think. The biggest difference is that iPhone issues are a real pain to fix because the devs went out of their way to hide the important stuff and lock it down.

I disregard this "simplicity" argument as nothing more than a highly parroted marketing ploy by apple's fanbase and it bothers me to no end! They are both simple to use! What, do you think Google's UI designers are twiddling their thumbs getting paid for doing nothing!?

Ahem... I'm really sorry, this just has always bothered me. As for my preference, I'm rooting for Mozilla's OS. I use android now, and probably will for the next year or so, but my next phone will definitely be running Firefox OS. Those guys have really earned my respect.

I prefer iOS because ive always used iPods and i like it as a music player, i have an iPhone just because its easier than carrying an iPod and a phone.

The layout is quite nice too, but its all about the music player for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Android.

I love being able to mess around with my device and even go as far as breaking it so that I can work to have to fix it again. Flashing custom ROM's and tweaking my OS is what I find fun and Android is the best/easiest mobile OS to tweak.

Also, Android is Open Source and built around a Linux Kernel :3 So that's bonus points.

(I've got an iPhone 5, just putting that out there so I don't get the whole 'fanboy' shit aimed at me) xD

Edited by Ess*
  • Brohoof 3

Android I really don't own an android tablet but I would much rather have an android tab than an ipad plus with tablets like the Nexus 7 which come at a really good price and are more friendly to those who like to tinker with there devices.

• Brohoof 1

I used to have an iPod Touch.  It did the job when I needed it, but it also gave me trouble later on.  My Android smartphone may has all the features and ability to synchronize with Google that I can put to use, so that is my current recommendation.

• Brohoof 1

I had a Nexus 4, but it's been put out to pasture in a wheelie bin and good riddance at that. I bought a ZTE Open recently only to find out that there is literally no support from either ZTE or Mozilla, as such Firefox OS may as well be a dead project as no phone is available with 1.3. I've used WinMo in the past and while it wasn't bad, I don't see much of an improvement with windows phone. I won't get an iPhone as I refuse to let another company dictate what can be executed on my hardware. So as of now its Maemo again and it hasn't failed me yet. When I get my tax returns next year, I may buy a Jolla phone.

Edit: As for tablets, still waiting on the Vivaldi with plasma active.

Edited by A Blithering Div

Bahahahaha! Windows 8 on a tablet... Why the heck would you ever do that to yourself? A tablet is primarily a media viewing device, why would you want to deal with Windows on that kind of device? I use it to get away from Windows when I need to use it for programming...

But yes, ahem... I'm going to have to say android. iOS locks everything down (preventing me from having fun :( ) and I just don't like the interface. It also feels like a prime example of "GUI oversimplification." I earned 20 dollars from my coworker for fixing an app by finding out how to force-quit. It was not a simple gesture, it wasn't even intuitive! These features should be in an "advanced option menu", not just brushed under the rug.

(I don't even like android that much, but it's the saner out of the three options)

Edited by Celtore