Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler So applejack's parents...

chirox the pony

Before I look at any of the comments or this post, there are no spoilers correct?

There are, for the latest episode, plus some guy just above you talking about Episode 24 (which is a few episodes away)...

The producers have made no secret about the fact that Applejack's parents are dead. They're just not broaching the subject too deeply in the show because, in the end, it's supposed to be a quite cheerful series.

We don't know about Rainbow's parents, or Fluttershy's parents. I don't think they want to touch on the idea of death. It is one thing for fans to think about what might have happened, but to make it "real" in the show would be a rather dark episode. 

I think it is best to just leave it as it is, we know that the Apple parents are not in the picture and the reason for that must be a good one.

so Rarity just about plummeting to her death and becoming a marshmallow smear on the ground in "sonic Rainboom", Sombr being exploded to smithereens, the skeleton of that one eyed thing in the Griffonstone episode, the brief funeral and coffin scene in "Hearts and hooves day", never happened, I suppose, and certainly don't allude to death. Certainly not in a 'kids show"!
  • Brohoof 1

so Rarity just about plummeting to her death and becoming a marshmallow smear on the ground in "sonic Rainboom", Sombr being exploded to smithereens, the skeleton of that one eyed thing in the Griffonstone episode, the brief funeral and coffin scene in "Hearts and hooves day", never happened, I suppose, and certainly don't allude to death. Certainly not in a 'kids show"!

Rarity was saved, Rainbow was a hero, just like every other superhero show. 

Sombra was take over by the magic and engulfed in it, all of his black magic was blown up and a tiny glimpse of his horn shows. 

The skull in the Griffon Kingdom only proved a point that the cavern was dangerous and that someone had died there, the kids aren't going to pick up on that. and they have seen "skeletons" during Halloween. 

The hole that is in Hearts and Hooves Day was dug as a trap... not as a grave... 

All of these instances don't affect the ponies directly. They were either saved or the symbolism is so minute that kids won't pick up on it. But if one of the main characters that the children cherish talks about a tragic incident in where their parents died and it explained what happened it could be very hard for a child to understand. 

Even dark cartoons such as Batman don't show anyone being killed or elude to the death of Bruce's parents. 

There needs to be danger, yes, there needs to be excitement, yes, but when your 5 year old comes up to you crying and asking why her favorite pony's parents had to die... that is not forgivable. Let them rest in peace and let the kiddos ask questions when they are a little bit older and can process death. 

So then if you saw the ending to crusaders of the lost mark you would know that Applejack's parents are confirmed to be dead. So what do you think this means for the future of the show? 

Nothing they bee dead since the begining of the show and beilenlty clear they were dead in apple family reunion. this info is nothing new

In The Cutie Mark Chronicles (S1E23) when AJ leaves the farm, Granny & Big Mac wave goodbye but her parents aren't there.  This implies they were already dead (& Apple Bloom must have been born).  In fact, I've seen some fan fics where grief at their death is part of why she left.

In Apple Family Reunion (S3E8) their death is very strongly implied (but NOT explicitly stated).

Seeing grave stones is about as strong a hint as can be given. 

Aw, geeze, I need to rewatch Apple Family Reunion.  I don't even remember it being subtly implied that they were dead.

Applejack's mother will be in the 24th episode of this season apparently. 

If you're not making that up, then it better be a flashback, or I'm gonna be really upset.

I keep worrying that those Hasbro rats will turn around and say they're alive and well on a far away farm... <_<

See, exactly.  That's what I'm worried about, too.  I will be extremely disappointed if they decide to have AJ's parents be alive.  They're just gonna do the Simpsons gag:  "If only your father were still with us....but he left for work a few minutes ago."

And yeah, really, where the hell were Rarity and SB's parents?  And then there's Scoots.  There's never been any mention of her parents.  Furthermore, we have no idea where she even lives.  Is she an orphan?  Does she just live on the streets of Ponyville?  It'd be really awesome if she lived with Rainbow now.

Maybe there was danger and Applejacks parents sacrificed their lives to save them.

That would be a great episode, especially if it was applejacks oldest memory and only memory of her parents too. That would be a great 2 parter episode to make.

They are dead, and the reason why the issue has been avoided is so that does not take away with from the Apple family dynamic. So it really does not change anything.

Edited by UnknownFry

Aw, geeze, I need to rewatch Apple Family Reunion.  I don't even remember it being subtly implied that they were dead.

If you're not making that up, then it better be a flashback, or I'm gonna be really upset.

See, exactly.  That's what I'm worried about, too.  I will be extremely disappointed if they decide to have AJ's parents be alive.  They're just gonna do the Simpsons gag:  "If only your father were still with us....but he left for work a few minutes ago."

And yeah, really, where the hell were Rarity and SB's parents?  And then there's Scoots.  There's never been any mention of her parents.  Furthermore, we have no idea where she even lives.  Is she an orphan?  Does she just live on the streets of Ponyville?  It'd be really awesome if she lived with Rainbow now.

We see Scoots' place in Flight to the Finish.

So then if you saw the ending to crusaders of the lost mark you would know that Applejack's parents are confirmed to be dead. So what do you think this means for the future of the show? 

They were already confirmed to be dead in an interveiw.

nothing changed, I mean it was already implied that they had died.

It means nothing for the show except for the fact that they

can refrence peeps being dead now. 

With the power of words.

:sunbutt: Flash sentry is next.

Edited by Lucky Star

Who's to say that wasn't the Ponyville Orphanage? :huh:

She's got a pretty decent (big sized) room iirc, and we've probably seen the outside of the place too (might be too small to be an orphanage). Imo the "Scootaloo orphan" theory doesn't really make sense, unlike for the Apple siblings. Plus it'd make 2/3 of the CMC orphans... Which I find a little hard to believe. Now, question - Do you believe the orphan Scootaloo theory, or are you just playing devil's advocate? :P

• Brohoof 1

I loved Crusaders of the Lost Mark for more reasons than I can count, but when Applejack said that about her parents, (after I actually absorbed what I had heard) I was all kinds of touched. Just a beautiful moment in so many ways. :(

I've lost important loved ones in my life too, and I desperately would love to see an episode that touches upon Applejack's deceased parents. In fact, it's my "dream episode" if you will. I'm sure it can be done without being too terribly depressing. Season 5 has been breaking ground in the feels department anyway, so I don't think it's even a stretch anymore.

Oh, and it's totally happening. :pinkie:

Capture.JPG

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been part of debates on this very forum about this topic. If you dig deep enough you'll see where I fought hard on this subject, and predicted and hoped for the line that was uttered in the episode about their folks being proud.

Those that supported this idea had to fight back comments that marginalized q Sr. storyboard artist, Faust, and the 2014 Hasbro SDCC panel. This was far from a foregone conclusion to many, and even now there are those that refuse to see the poetry of that line and are expecting a Hey Arnold! approach that would make Marvel proud.

While I really really want them to end it here, because it is a touching heartfelt line, I seriously think the only way for some to truly believe it is if they dedicate an episode to their parents.

And it did change one thing for me personally ... it cemented that episode is my favorite of the series. Beating Suited for Success was going to be no easy feat. Hearing AJ utter a sentence to her kid sister that was almost identical to one I've had to say to mine ... that was the moment this show moved from well written animated fare to something deeply personal.

Addressing the absense of Scootaloo and Sweetie Belles parents is simple. There are two reasons you can choose, and in universe one and a creative one.

The creative one was that their presense was not really needed. Yes you could have Magnum and his wife in the background, but having Scootaloo's introduced without a proper introduction would be bad writing. Adding dialog to that final few minutes would torpedo the pacing of the song. Best to only have the one focal scene which also lends credence to the deceased parents due to the absense of the others. It is what would make it so special. Otherwise you would have AJ sing a line like RD and Rarity did.

In Universe explanation, a cutecinera celebration typically doesn't have a focus on the parents as we haven't seen parents active and visible in the prior one. Planning is done by adults and parents though. Also explains AJ's final line telling Apple Bloom to go party with her pals. The focus appears to be the peers to celebrate with their newly marked friend.

• Brohoof 2