Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

LGBT in MLP - brought up by Jeremy Whitley

SJWs stop feeling the need to ruin everything that does not conform to every group. A kids show does not even need to have any sexual relationships in it hetero, homo, whatever. Pushing crap like this onto every source of media only makes your "work" harder. People want smooth transitions. Also, parents don't want their kids to see that sort of stuff anyway I'm sorry but that is just the way it is guys. LGBT does not have to be thrown into everybody's faces and they will continue to be abhorred by it if they already are. Just keep MLP the way it is not need to add anything or change it.

However, I'm sure it would be less of a disaster if Lyra and Bob Bon were lesbians and not any of the Mane 6, because of the past stuff they did especially back this Valentine's Day.

And to those who think it would help with "representation of the community" I don't want to hear about you being gay, bi, whatever. It does not need to be all over the media, people know you exist just like they know water is wet. Don't even say I'm oppressing you or anything because you don't hear about me going all straight pride or anything like that, and if I did you wouldn't hear any of it. Don't cast yourself as different, but just be different and be modest about it, live your life that way and you will find that less people will go against you. If any majority organizes its automatically a hate group by your logic.

Sorry if it came off as blunt but it is straightforward. You SJW need to know that it is not OK to ruin things people like. 

Edited by Jeric
Removed inflammatory line
  • Brohoof 2

Oh, I already tore into many SJWs there too. But I like this community so I will be nicer to you guys. 

SJWs stop feeling the need to ruin everything that does not conform to every group. A kids show does not even need to have any sexual relationships in it hetero, homo, whatever. Pushing crap like this onto every source of media only makes your "work" harder. People want smooth transitions. Also, parents don't want their kids to see that sort of stuff anyway I'm sorry but that is just the way it is guys. LGBT does not have to be thrown into everybody's faces and they will continue to be abhorred by it if they already are. Just keep MLP the way it is not need to add anything or change it.

However, I'm sure it would be less of a disaster if Lyra and Bob Bon were lesbians and not any of the Mane 6, because of the past stuff they did especially back this Valentine's Day.

And to those who think it would help with "representation of the community" I don't want to hear about you being gay, bi, whatever. It does not need to be all over the media, people know you exist just like they know water is wet. Don't even say I'm oppressing you or anything because you don't hear about me going all straight pride or anything like that, and if I did you wouldn't hear any of it. Don't cast yourself as different, but just be different and be modest about it, live your life that way and you will find that less people will go against you. If any majority organizes its automatically a hate group by your logic.

Sorry if it came off as blunt but it is straightforward. You SJW need to know that it is not OK to ruin things people like. 

Not everything with LGBT ties are thinking of it as a social justice thing. Both sides of the isle like to CLAIM this is the case, but they do NOT speak for all gays or lesbians or what have you. I'm  homosexual and I'm very much against the SJW movement, because at this point they are no better than a cult. 

That being said, if seeing a gay character "ruins" something for another person; then that is THEIR problem and not mine, nor is it Hasbro's. 

Also the argument that "this show doesn't need any kind of romance" is inherently absurd.

THEY ALREADY HAVE RELATIONSHIPS IN THE SHOW. Namely the Cakes, Shining and Cadence, Pinkie Pies parents, Rarity's parents, EVERYONE shown in the hearts and hooves day episode, speaking of which THEY HAVE THEIR OWN VALENTINES DAY. The precedent for romance has LONG been set for the show. The idea that it will hurt the kids poor little brains to see some Y rated romance is laughable. Emphasis on the Y rated. @@takai

The two characters, whomever they might be in this scenario, would not be getting it on like they turned a fic from Fimfiction into reality, it would be the most chaste of light blushes AT BEST. Showing an Lgbt paring with the same care and in a CHILD FRIENDLY manner as any other romantic couple in the show would be perfect, plus it wouldn't even need to take up that much screen time. 

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 3

Not everything with LGBT ties are thinking of it as a social justice thing. Both sides of the isle like to CLAIM this is the case, but they do NOT speak for all gays or lesbians or what have you. I'm  homosexual and I'm very much against the SJW movement, because at this point they are no better than a cult. 

That being said, if seeing a gay character "ruins" something for another person; then that is THEIR problem and not mine, nor is it Hasbro's. 

Also the argument that "this show doesn't need any kind of romance" is inherently absurd.

THEY ALREADY HAVE RELATIONSHIPS IN THE SHOW. Namely the Cakes, Shining and Cadence, Pinkie Pies parents, Rarity's parents, EVERYONE shown in the hearts and hooves day episode, speaking of which THEY HAVE THEIR OWN VALENTINES DAY. The precedent for romance has LONG been set for the show. The idea that it will hurt the kids poor little brains to see some Y rated romance is laughable. Emphasis on the Y rated. @@takai

The two characters, whomever they might be in this scenario, would not be getting it on like they turned a fic from Fimfiction into reality, it would be the most chaste of light blushes AT BEST. Showing an Lgbt paring with the same care and in a CHILD FRIENDLY manner as any other romantic couple in the show would be perfect, plus it wouldn't even need to take up that much screen time. 

I understand what you are getting at with this. But I probably wasn't clear when I said that their shouldn't be any relationships at all. I did not mean that there were no relationships in FiM anybody with a brain cell can realize that, there was a whole two-part episode on a pony wedding. The only scenario that I come out supporting LGBT in FiM if it is only background characters and not the Mane 6, if the Mane 6 are untouched and the whole flow of the show is not changed too much I might actually support it, which is very rare in my case. But like I said earlier Lyra and Bon Bon are perfect for this sort of thing, they even sort of prepped it in Slice of Life. If those two mares are the case you guys won't have to worry about me.

Hey I'd be all for it, if Stephen Universe can do it, why can't we? Besides, they already dropped some pretty heavy hoofed "hints" at one Lyra and Bon Bon meant by "best friend."

Filled out the form. I'm a go for this. :)

Edited by Steel Accord

Honestly, if Whitley wants this so badly, he should make his own IP instead of trying to force it into somebody else's and call it canon.

I'm not saying I'd be totally closed to the idea, just that it's so commonly handled so poorly, even in works that are otherwise very well written. I included a very nerd-ragey example in the spoiler below.

I love the writing in the Mass Effect trilogy, and in my most recent playthrough, I'm romancing Liara as a female Shepard; and sure enough, as soon as Liara broaches the subject, Shepard's response is that old cliche: "Even though we're both women?"

This idiotic line kills the entire romance. It was put there solely to pander to people who were expecting to hear that very cliche.

It completely ignores key aspects of the story up until that point. We begin with the fact that the game takes place in the year 2183, long after even the most generous estimate for when lesbian relationships would still be a taboo, but still near enough that xenophilic relationships are somewhat taboo. If the writers wanted to make an anti-discrimination message, they already had one staring them right in the face. They didn't need to throw in a pointless cliche just to remove the ambiguity.

And what's worse, it ignores the bigger issue that Liara is an Asari, which is a mono-gendered species that physically resemble human females, but otherwise neither exhibit nor observe sexual dimorphism. The writers hand-wave this by claiming Shepard was just ignorant of Asari biology, and having Liara explain it, but this doesn't work since Liara literally explained this very issue in depth two conversations ago.

Two major lore errors; one cliche. And in a game that is otherwise fantastically written. Sorry to say, but MLP currently doesn't have the latter luxury. Season 6 is kinda meh, and even seasons 4 and 5 were hit and miss. If BioWare couldn't pull this off at their best, then I don't really don't trust the FiM staff to succeed where they fell short.

When you put these things in canon, you don't get a chance to fix them later. You get one shot.

• Brohoof 2

I'm all about equality, but there are better venues than a show for 4-7yo girls. This is MLP, not Dawson's Creek. I was joking with someone earlier about how awkward it'd have to be to animate Dash and Flutters being intimate. Imagine the notes and revisions on THAT! Hell imagine the recording session for the VAs. I'm definitely saying no thanks to this one.

Edited by EquestriaGuy
  • Brohoof 1

@@Shabb3r, finished the form with my opinions. I think the question about viewership going down is complicated and hard to predict. I mean, there's the people who would stop watching it but the publicity and word-of-mouth that would come from such a big move could potentially cause new viewers to outnumber loses. Again, it's hard to predict.  :adorkable: (Where's my Twi with glasses emoto?)

For the question "Would viewership of MLP go down if LGBT was brought into the show?", I answered Yes, but only because I think there is a possibility some butthurt will be all over the place.

If there would be anything to actually kill off the show, this would be it. There are a few good reasons why this is the worst idea in existence.

1. The writing staff (for the TV show at least) sucks at developing relationships. Mr. and Mrs. Cake have basically no character outside of "busy parents running private business". Shining Armor and Cadence are generic "prince (or in this case royal guard) meets princess and falls in love" trope. They've since gotten better, but the relationship between Shining and Cadence hasn't been explored since they got married. Cranky and Matilda have been the best couple for a long time now surprisingly. Not so much Matilda as Cranky though. Matilda lacks any depth what-so-ever, and you can't have a one-sided relationship. Both characters need drive and motivation of some-sort.

2. It would be incredibly ham-fisted. When Shining Armor and Cadence got married it felt forced enough, but having a gay or lesbian couple would blow that straight out of the water. If the writing team can barely make passable straight couples, do you really think they can do a gay couple correctly? Not many television shows or other mediums have been incredibly successful with this.

3. No net-gain. Let's be honest here. What would Hasbro get out of siding with LGBT? I understand that a lot of people are very passionate about it, but Hasbro is a company, and it would be unreasonable for you to think they would try to make a controversial statement with a little girls television show about talking ponies. Even if a writer made this amazing script that had perfect depictions and character arcs for a gay couple, do you really think it would get approved? No. No it wouldn't.

I wouldn't say I'm pro-LGBT, but I do stand for equality. I also consider myself to be realistic. It's unfortunate that this is case but, I don't think we will ever see and openly gay couple in MLP.

Edited by Dark Rider
  • Brohoof 2

“What sexual preference do you hope she has?” “Happiness.” Isnt that cool?”  ― Francesca Lia BlockWeetzie Bat

I always supported LGBT! I even have an OC named Jack Pride to support LGBT!

Here is the plushie of him by Nazegoreng::

jack_pride_custom_plush_by_nazegoreng-d9

Check out her deviantart to commision her: nazegoreng.deviantart.com

• Brohoof 1

@@Shabb3r,

For your form:

Q1 - You could add a third option which says 'neutral' for those that might feel that fits their position better.

Q3 - should probably be worded as "Do you think viewership of MLP go down if LGBT was brought into the show?"

left my answers earlier.

for rest of thread,

I don't mind at all seeing any same-sex pairings that they would like to present in the show. However, I think it would probably be easier for them if they used a background pairing for a number of reasons previously stated in this thread. Also I'll admit, I feel that love relationship pairings have not exactly been the best suit that mlp:fim has been playing at for again other reasons previously stated by others. If they were to try it, it would just have to be something that they put a lot of extra work into for consideration and such.

Edited by pony.colin

My other major issue is... Is this really NEEDED in MLP? Will it add anything? Or will this just be waving the flag of LGBT to not do so again? It just seems like a totally pointless addition if it does nothing.

If there would be anything to actually kill off the show, this would be it. There are a few good reasons why this is the worst idea in existence.

1. The writing staff (for the TV show at least) sucks at developing relationships. Mr. and Mrs. Cake have basically no character outside of "busy parents running private business". Shining Armor and Cadence are generic "prince (or in this case royal guard) meets princess and falls in love" trope. They've since gotten better, but the relationship between Shining and Cadence hasn't been explored since they got married. Cranky and Matilda have been the best couple for a long time now surprisingly. Not so much Matilda as Cranky though. Matilda lacks any depth what-so-ever, and you can't have a one-sided relationship. Both characters need drive and motivation of some-sort.

2. It would be incredibly ham-fisted. When Shining Armor and Cadence got married it felt forced enough, but having a gay or lesbian couple would blow that straight out of the water. If the writing team can barely make passable straight couples, do you really think they can do a gay couple correctly? Not many television shows or other mediums have been incredibly successful with this.

3. No net-gain. Let's be honest here. What would Hasbro get out of siding with LGBT? I understand that a lot of people are very passionate about it, but Hasbro is a company, and it would be unreasonable for you to think they would try to make a controversial statement with a little girls television show about talking ponies. Even if a writer made this amazing script that had perfect depictions and character arcs for a gay couple, do you really think it would get approved? No. No it wouldn't.

I wouldn't say I'm pro-LGBT, but I do stand for equality. I also consider myself to be realistic. It's unfortunate that this is case but, I don't think we will ever see and openly gay couple couple in MLP.

You kinda forgot Flashy in EG  :fluttershy: . Remember the outrage he caused for stealing everypony's waifu  :orly: ? Stil, I'm not against homosexuality, but I don't think it'll add anything important in FiM, and it's very likely it'll be more harmful for it not only in how it's handled, but people's reactions :huh:. I think there are better places to show the issue  :proud:

This might sound like a good idea now, but I feel like every show is going to do it in an attempt to be the next Steven Universe, and people will get sick of it.

Edited by SpaceOnion

This might sound like a good idea now, but I feel like every show is going to do it in an attempt to be the next Steven Universe, and people will get sick of it.

Considering people are already getting sick of Steven Universe, that's a fair assessment.

i personally support any lgbt because i am tg mtf so i will support and to be honest twidash is my most wanted ship i would love to see. i think that people should be himself and like what they like. i also think there is nothing wrong with lgbt kids or people. but if you like what you see i can tell you that i am insane because i think that swears are just words with no meaning so i get confused when someone gets called a name.

I would really like there to be LGBT in MLP. It would be interesting because of the variety. LGBT exists so why should it not exist in MLP? If it was in MLP, it would be considered more normal, which would be good. A lot could happen too due to it, it could result in a huge amount of things. I thought that maybe it could involve one of the mane 6 and a background character. I would really enjoy watching it.

I honestly don't really care either way, I've preferred that they stayed away from relationships in the show. That being said, people already ship most of the characters so if there were to be an official one it would be interesting to see it.

Could we just not? The show is fine with its current dynamic. Nopony needs to have their sexuality revealed. When has romance ever worked out in the show? The only reason Cadance and Shining Armor did is because they were sort of contrived to fill that roll. The Cakes were already together, and Cheerilee/Big Mac didn't go anywhere. And we all know how Flash Sentry went down. The way I see it, this could only go poorly.

Just leave it to the fan fiction, and everyone can be happy.

Even FlashLight shippers.

A part of me honestly wants FlutterDash or Rarijack to happen JUST TO SEE the massive mounds of salt that would be produced by the AppleDash shippers, it would greatly amuse me.

Oh, and you expect us TwiDashers to just sit here and be marginalized? I see how it is. :okiedokieloki: /s

I'm not against LGBT materials, but I feel like it's getting a little overrated and misused these days. Like other themes, LGBT is best if it comes naturally, trying to force it would result in an awkward display. If LGBT is not something that fits very well, then it's okay not to include it, you are not automatically anti-LGBT just because you don't talk about it very much.

I understand and appreciate people's attempt to support LGBT through artistic creation, but there is really no need to compromise the quality in order to do so.

I wouldn't mind it, but Fluttershy X Rainbow Dash, or ANY LGBT pairing with the Mane Six, would seem forced. None of them have ever shown a hint of attraction towards other mares before, let alone each other. 

Keep it between the background characters only. I'm sure there's plenty of room for same-sex romance in Vinyl's and Octavia's underdeveloped lives.

I'm all for LGBT itself, but it shouldn't be exploited for attention. And on a comic aimed at children, no less.

Sexual identity is the last thing on a child's mind. Let kids worry about being kids.

But if you're going to tell the world that you're okay with same gender relationships, just show it as a little background thing. 

Just a small background image of two mares holding hooves or something can make all the difference.

You don't have to make a grandiose statement to get your point across, just a little thing like that can make all the difference.