Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S07:E19 - It Isn't the Mane Thing About You

Jeric

What did you think of the episode?  

117 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Ack, no! It's the wrong shampoo again!!!
    • This formula is simply not my style!
    • This formula is meh! I've had better!
    • Mmmm, there is potential here, but I like it!
    • AH! This formula is simply DIVINE Zecora! :D

"I really like her mane!"

This was a pretty good Rarity focus episode. Pinkie's comedy was amusing as usual and I like the moral that no matter what your appearance flaw, cosmetics and creativity will make it better, even if it's just a little. A lot of our confidence comes from how we appear to others and most importantly, ourselves. So it's important that instead of sulking about our impurities and flaws, we make like AJ and turn those lemons in to lemonade. And if that fails, we make life take the lemons back!

Shine Inside Out by InuHoshi-to-DarkPen

As should be VERY evident in this thread, the fandom artist community pretty much exploded after this episode :D

Good evening everypony, and welcome back to another edition of "Batbrony Reviews"!  First of all, apologies for getting this review out so late.  Just been having trouble making time for it over the last few days on account of a whole lot of exciting real life stuff that's been happening.  But that will be saved for another day, for now, onto the episode itself!  Without further ado, this is "It Isn't the Mane Thing About You."

Confident by Petrinox

So first things first, I just have to say that this was an odd duck of an episode.  Like, not a bad one, far from it.  In fact in execution this is a perfectly good episode, and in tone very much in the same vein as predecessors from Season 1 or Season 2 of the show.  But that said, what did stand out to me as apparent was the fact that this was a Season 7 subject in an episode executed like a Season 1 or Season 2 episode, and that threw me for a bit of a loop.  Unlike last week's episode, this is not so much a bad or disappointing thing as simply an odd thing to ponder.  I cannot help but find myself asking "What if this episode had been executed differently?" and in fact will do just that at the end of the review.  But for now, let's delve into what we got here.

To start, Rarity kicks ass here, and I don't just say that because of the end.  This was undoubtedly a Season 7 Rarity performance; while the character has never been completely self-obsessed or shallow I cannot help but think that if this episode had debuted in Season 1, she would have displayed far less grace or restraint in how she handled things than she did here.  Instead, we got a Rarity who, while more than understandably upset at her predicament, did not come across as particularly shallow at any point; if anything, we actually readily understood how being unable to fix such a situation could truly devastate her without it feeling forced.  Rarity doesn't just put a premium on maintaining good looks to make herself feel better, she does it to make an impression on ponies both in her own dealings as well as when she's lending a helping hoof to them, as evidenced by the opening scene of this episode where she's going around town lending assistance to various businesses and establishments.  This does have a practical effect in that, well, without sounding too shallow, if there's one thing folks love more than practical-minded people, it's practical-minded people who look radiant.  Politicians like John F. Kennedy, Ronald Reagan, Barack Obama, etc. all had good looks and distinct images, and this applies to business as well.  A great example that comes to mind is who will folks always associate as the face of Apple, Jobs or Wozniak?  Jobs of course, and not just because he was the better PR guy and knew how to connect to what customers wanted, but because eventually he developed a distinct image that, while not Hollywood-handsome, was its own kind of handsome within the Silicon Valley world.  Point is, Rarity looking good isn't just something that she shallowly does to make herself feel better; at this point, it's simply a part of who she is and how she carries herself about, and there's nothing really wrong with that.  She doesn't think she's better than other ponies because of it, she doesn't really even flaunt it, she just enjoys looking fabulous and using that part of herself to help others try to realize their own potential to be fabulous in their own ways.

1536728__safe_screencap_rarity_starlight+glimmer_twilight+sparkle_it+isn%27t+the+mane+thing+about+you_spoiler-colon-s07e19_alicorn_animated_discovery+f.gif

When you're just having one of "those" days :lie:

This makes her reaction to losing most of her mane more than believable, even if some of her bits during her most panicky moments are hilarious.  She doesn't just focus on getting it back (even if that is her top priority), she really does try to go about her business as well but just finds at first that she can't.  She also doesn't blame Zecora or Pinkie Pie, and tries to have as much of a stiff upper lip as she can.  Let's also consider that this isn't just something Rarity would freak out about; she may freak out more than most would, but evidently losing one's mane or tail is something that most ponies dread and understand magic can't fix easily, if at all.  Even her sadness is, eventually, oddly subdued; normally we'd expect to see Rarity having a grand and fabulously over-the-top display of drama when she's especially feeling low, but here her lowest point is Rarity just... well, not being Rarity.  She truly feels at that moment like she's not her true self, and can't even muster the ability to lament her current state as grandly as she normally would.  That was a nice, subtle touch and Tabitha St. Germain's handling of the subdued, restrained Rarity in that moment was very effective.  The ending of course was fantastic, and Rarity rocking the punk look all over town was as unexpected as it was delightful to watch, especially when she kept acting like herself again, it contrasted the punk image so wonderfully!  And her learning to always believe that she was always fabulous no matter what she looked like, so long as she still behaved fabulously and channeled that into everything she did, was a great lesson for both herself as well as those who may be most affected by this episode, and a nice continuation of part of the lesson from Rarity's own legend of Mistmane which she recounted just a few episodes ago.  So all in all, I really have no complaints about Rarity's performance here or how she was written; I still enjoyed her turn in "Campfire Tales" more personally, and for me that's still her highlight of the season, but this was a splendid turn for her all the same.

Rocking this mane (avaliable as shirt) by GaelleDragons

Zecora coming back (in the first of back-to-back appearances, how about that!) was a welcome return, and unlike Daring Do's performance last week, Zecora's appearance here was not, thankfully, botched.  I was honestly a little disappointed we didn't get to see her just shoot the shit some more with Pinkie Pie and Rarity when she started talking about manes and how tricky they are to handle with magic, but that was mostly because an unfortunate truth about Zecora is that she's usually there for the purpose of plot devices more than anything else.  Most of what she says is either exposition about something that will be critical to the plot, or words of wisdom tied into the lesson learned.  Make no mistake, I still enjoy her as a character and think she was used well here, but it is something I've noticed about her over time, and really it's a big reason we should see more of her, so that she's not just being used in such formulaic and predictable ways.  Also, I can't help but think she should have taken a little bit more of the blame here for what happened to Rarity; she may not have gotten the bottles mixed up, but she is partially responsible in that she had no labels for two VERY different potions that look exactly the same.  Overall, however, it was just nice seeing Ponyville's resident zebra once more, and I'm sure it'll be even better seeing her in this week's upcoming episode!

Pinkie Pie, on the other hand, kind of annoyed me here.  Her performance was nowhere near "MMMMystery on the Friendship Express" levels of bad or anything, but the best way I can put it is that they wrote her unnecessarily stupid here for the purposes of the plot.  This is not the first time this has ever happened to Pinkie Pie as her over-the-top nature is often exploited by the show to create some kind of foil or plot device that gets everything else rolling, and many times it too has come off as lazy writing for this character.  Pinkie may hardly be the brightest member of the Mane 6, but some of the shit she was doing in this episode seemed to be stuff that a five year old could figure out.  Her spraying of that ridiculously sticky silly string EVERYWHERE in sight felt like something she'd impulsively do in a bad MLP fanfiction, not an actual episode; her repeated suggestion to simply use any cupcakes she salvaged from the silly string rather than bake new ones came off as both lazy and inconsiderate to the Cakes or their customers (even if it was a funny gag at certain points); and she seems to have spent at least an entire afternoon, if not one or multiple days even, simply trying to clean Sugarcube Corner up with the wrong potion, and you're telling me that in all of that time she never realized that this might be shampoo and not a magical cleaner???  All in all, hardly Pinkie's worst showing, but not exactly a flattering one either.

New mane style by LooknamTCN

She did, however, admittedly look rather adorable at the end of the episode after the shampoo debacle

The rest of the Mane 6, on the other hand, were phenomenal, especially at the end.  Twilight and Starlight (honorary fill-in for Spike here as far as I'm concerned) did admittedly get off to a bit of a rough start, mostly in that they, once again, couldn't resist messing with the laws of nature by trying to do something with their magic which, not a second before, they had said they shouldn't when they tried to assist Rarity with her mane through their magic.  Now look, I get that they were just trying to be good friends, but (1) they've both made this mistake enough times with often near disastrous consequences that they should know better by this point, and (2) Twilight's first attempt in particular was a really shitty thing of her to do.  They're trying to help their friend get her mane back, or some semblance of it, and what does she do?  Why steal another pony's mane of course, much to that poor bucking crystal pony stallion's horror!  I don't even get how the writers thought they could play this for laughs when they literally just gave this guy the same exact problem that Rarity was contending with the entire time, except I doubt he has a group of friends that includes a bucking Equestrian princess to help him try to get over such a dilemma.  That'd be like doing a high school drama episode where, in order to help a friend who was anorexic, her friends tried somehow "passing" her anorexia onto someone else.  Not a solid solution guys, not at all!  At least the rest of their magical attempts weren't harmful to anyone else, and it was fantastic hearing them at least say no to attempting using time travel to fix things, but still, it was kind of ridiculous that those two made as many attempts as they did when they were so sure to start out that it wouldn't work.

Besides that, however, Rarity's friends were great.  Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and Applejack in particular tried their best to come through, first in trying to come up with whatever kind of wigs they could (in all honesty Applejack's was probably the most likely to work, even if Rainbow's looked the prettiest, but dear Lord Flutters I don't know why you thought Harry the Bear's green plant wig would work at all... even if it was hilarious and adorable seeing Harry working on it), and second in trying to bolster Rarity's spirits and help her regain her confidence to channel her inner fabulosity no matter what she looked like.  Applejack in particular had some very personal lines of encouragement and support, a nice dose of Rarijack and reminder of how close those two in particular are in a season where we haven't seen a whole lot of it outside of this and one other episode.  Probably her best line was when she hearkened back all the way to their very first adventure, reminding Rarity of when she did her first major act of generosity among her friends in giving up her tail to Steven Magnet; this was not only a critical element of Rarity's own nature to remind her of, but also highlighted how close these two are in showing how much of an impression this memory in particular must have left on Applejack.  In the end, their support and friendship was exactly what Rarity needed in order to regain her confidence.

At least someone's having fun... by StarBlaze25

Ponyville itself was very much alive in this episode, again in a way reminiscent of Seasons 1 and 2.  The Flower Sisters, Roseluck, Daisy, and Lily, in particular had great showings and even showed shades of character growth; while they came close to panicking like they were so wont to do in early seasons, they ultimately kept their cool (with some assistance from Rarity) and did some smashing business with their flower sales while they were at it.  They also treated Rarity the least different of any other business associates around Ponyville after her mane fiasco, simply unable to help her when they couldn't see her mane, which felt like a far more natural reaction than the other two.  Speaking of which, fan pony salesman and Davenport, the owner of Quills and Sofas, were not nearly as charming.  Fan pony store owner was relatively harmless, but he came off as a really inept business owner seeing as he was hurting his own business... simply because he had all of the fans in his store going at once, which made it hard for any pony to even enter his store.  Pretty stupid move on his part, plus his later comments about "non-fabulous" ponies seemed a bit... superficial, at least how he delivered them.  Davenport, however, was far worse in that he wasn't just stupid for not having wider variety in his sofas to start out, but was also a complete jackass!  Dude made a business arrangement with Rarity, a very simple one at that; she gave him VERY sound business advice that helped him improve his sales, and in return all she wanted was a custom-made chaise lounge.  Hell, as far as we know she was even going to pay for it in bits as well, so the fact that he was willing to break that agreement just for a few more bits is dickish beyond all belief.  If I was Rarity, I wouldn't do business with a guy like that ever again!  How can you really trust a guy like that in any type of business arrangement if he's willing to straight up break his word when it comes to his own business?!  Aside from that, we had some fun appearances from Filthy Rich, Caramel (who may or may not now be a father of a filly via Sassaflash, who he was dating back in Season 2), Granny Smith and Grand Pear (who could be spotted in multiple scenes selling apple and pear products at a shared stand in the Ponyville Market), Apple Bloom conversing with Burnt Oak (again, another great bit of continuity from "The Perfect Pear," even if it would have been cooler seeing Big Mac talk to him), Big Mac and Sugar Belle taking a romantic walk at Sweet Apple Acres (something which I missed in my first viewing, though to be fair they showed it sooooooo briefly that it really is easy for anyone to miss), and Derpy at both the beginning and end, including rocking the ONLY one of the Rarity-inspired punk manes that looked as fabulous as hers did!  Seeing so many different faces from Ponyville showing up in notable roles here was great, and something that is far too rare at this point in the show.

large.png

Mannnnnnnn, the Flower Sisters are SO CUTE!!! :wub:

Colour Co-ordination by bobthedalek

As you can see, all of the elements we had in this episode easily add up to a good, perfectly likable episode.  So you're probably wondering in what way I think it possibly could have been better?  Well, odd as it may sound, I really do think this episode, by virtue of its subject alone, could have been far more daring if it wanted to.  Allow me to explain.

The elephant in the room with the subject of an episode like this is twofold.  Rarity lost something which she believed is fundamental to achieving her own identity.  Not in a superficial way (mostly), but this is a character who loves being fabulous and sharing that side of herself with others in any way she can, so it's easy to understand why this situation would be so personally distressful for her.  Obviously, this episode can easily be relatable for two groups of people: (1) more generally speaking, anyone who has lost due to unfortunate circumstances something about themselves they consider to be a defining trait, or (2) more specifically, people who have lost their hair, especially due to a medical condition of some kind.  That's a pretty heavy real world parallel for any MLP ep, and there's no way the writers weren't aware of it.  So how could they have pushed the envelope just a bit more with this one?  In just a few little ways, really.  For starters, even though Rarity's mane eventually grew back, we didn't need to see that at the end of the episode; it needlessly minimized what she'd gone through, as well as the triumph of how she'd just rectified her situation as best as she could.  Going even further, she didn't even necessarily need to fix her mane at all; as awesome as the punk mane was, I couldn't help but wonder (1) why it didn't occur to her to do that in the first place, and (2) how she had enough hair to do that?  For her it was a wonderful fix, but in real world parallels, lots of people can't always do such a fun solution as Rarity did.  Some may have no hair to spare at all (though of course wigs are always an option), and for others the lack of hair may even be the least of their problems.

Derpy Style by lachlan765

So what could have happened instead?  Well, I say, what if the Mane 6 hadn't been able to really help Rarity?  What if no one at first could, and she herself couldn't simply fix it by going with a different mane style?  What if eventually, she came across somepony who in many ways had it even rougher than she did?  This could either have been somepony with some kind of medical condition, or if the writers wanted to be less serious, a character like Derpy who has been the town klutz for years and has had to always live with that.  In either case, she could have simply talked with this pony, asking in awe how they've managed to stay positive or their chipper selves despite their struggles and challenges in life.  Their answer?  They never let whatever bad conditions or circumstances they had in their lives define who they were.  They always stay true to themselves and never, ever let any limitations they face keep them from remaining who they are, for their own sake as well as for the sake of those they love.  Doing it doesn't mean it's easy, just worthwhile.  Such an example would have been inspiring to somepony like Rarity, and led her to concluding the same thing she did in the episode as it is, simply in more dramatic fashion as the result of a far more serious experience.

Now again, I must reiterate that this episode did not disappoint me.  Executed as it was, it was a very good episode.  But I still strongly believe that it could have been more if it wanted to be, and can't help but regret that we'll never get to see what it could have been if treated just a tad more seriously, even if what we got all around was good itself.  That's all I've got for you everypony, until next time this is Batbrony signing off.  I'm off!!! *cue dramatic exit*

Let's close this thread with, what else, a shitload of Punk Rarity pics!!! :D

Raritys Confidence by Jazzerix

Punk Rarity by Scarlet-Spectrum

.:New style baby:.+SpeedPaint by FJ-C

Punk Rarity (with Speedpaint) by wolfchen999

Rarity punk by RedchetGreen

Fastest Hooves In Equestria by Underpable

Sounds of magic by Mechagen

I won't lie, if this had happened, it would have easily been the most metal thing ever!!! :love:

• Brohoof 3

Probably one thing that can throw this off about Rarity is no mention of the word wigs. We know Rarity has used wigs before in an episode. Maybe the shock of losing the hair caused her to not think straight or her friends, which tends to happen often.

LhxV073.jpg

I just watched this episode....

What a tragic turn of events for best pony...

I can't believe what happened to her hair

Image result for upset rarity

But then....

Punk Rock Rarity!Punk Rock Rarity!Punk Rock Rarity!Punk Rock Rarity!Punk Rock Rarity!Punk Rock Rarity!Punk Rock Rarity!Punk Rock Rarity!Punk Rock Rarity!Punk Rock Rarity!

Image result for punk rock rarity

• Brohoof 2

On 9/20/2017 at 3:55 PM, Ganondox said:

Oh, you know what?  It's not.  I'm sorry, it was just an observation.  Merely an observation.  Thanks for pointing that out, actually.  I'm going to edit the post and move that above the grievance line.

About the International Women's Day thing, I thought about that when I was watching the episode, but it seemed different to me.  So, what I mean is, I thought that IWD was more of a...like, an educational observance rather than a "holiday".  You know, like Black History Month or something.  Whereas "Mare's Day" seemed like Mother's Day, where people buy cards and gifts, but it's just for all females.  We don't really have anything like that on Earth, as far as I am aware.  But if we did, it would only be fair to have a men's day, too, but that probably wouldn't sit well with people for the same reason that you can't have white history month, or a hetero pride parade.  Oh, Celestia, have mercy, where have I taken this?  How about we just have "Human's Day": gifts for people.  But, you know, if Equestria has Mare's Day, they really should have Stallion's Day, too.

On 9/22/2017 at 6:40 PM, Batbrony said:

Rocking this mane (avaliable as shirt) by GaelleDragons

Quite possibly the best fan art I've ever seen of ANYTHING.  Wow.  Thank you for posting!!

• Brohoof 1

The past seasons have had so many Rarity episodes or Rarity + somepony else that every new episode of her feels like one after a recent other, even though there has been some pause since there was an episode focused on her. Still, I've seen plenty of Rarity drama episodes and start becoming a bit unimpressed by the next such story.

What was good to see again: Zecora and Starlight Glimmer/Twi trying to help with magic but not going as far as turning back time. Rarity's rock mane wig was interesting and made her nice looking with it.

Not good: Well as much as Idc about Rarity episodes so much, Rarity faces like in 'AJ's day off disgust me'. Here she was like 'uugh' but I wasnt disgusted, it was not nice seeing her like that.

The wrong potion plot is so cliche and predictable that without seeing the writer, must be someone new, but this was not important episode. I will give it 3/5 as this was far not my cup of tea, very average even though there were some interesting Rarity episodes I liked such as the 'saddle row review'. This is like taken from Season 1, as if she hasn't been through this lesson..

On 9/17/2017 at 1:46 AM, SpiBaz said:

50% of people liked this episode!? Wow, you guys must be seeing something I don't. I think it was a very mediocre episode at best.

Zecora is back! Alright, it is good to see her again, but it doesn't change to much my opinion on the episode.

It had some solid jokes, though. My favourite would be the Rarity/Creepy Eyes scene.

This is a Josh Haber episode, this guy has been writing from season 4 and I am still waiting for a good episode by him. Yet he has written Simple Ways, The Cutie Re-Mark, Stranger Than FanFiction, etc. Generally episodes, I am not a fan of. His best episode was Bloom & Gloom., which still isn't that good of an episode (the constant dreams get repetitive). 

The problem with the episode (or at least what bugged me) comes from the plot. We all have seen an episode that has something to do with physical appearance (mostly hair) destroying someone's social life. I expect better from this show, I know it can do better than this. 

Score: 1.5/5

Because it's Rarity episode, and if she is in character, which she is, nothing else matters, no matter if it is just uneventful and even boring episode and yes even more boring than Fluttershy Leans In. But that's a bummer if Harber episode, I would just say this is not from his good episodes, then again there was no need for this episode to have anything substantial.

Edited by ImpctR

I found this episode a bit weird: like how Pinkie Pie was suddenly forgotten in the middle of the ep, Twilight and Starlight shouting lasers at Rarity... And Rarity's new style was nice, but I wonder why she didn't think about it in the first place. I guess she was too devastated...

And finally Zecora is back!

Edited by Blobulle

Considering how Rarity can be sometimes, it was nice to see an episode were she learned beauty isn't everything and the important thing is what's inside. It's an overdone message but it's still a good one and this episode did have another message in it as well. It was also nice to see Rarity make the most out of her situation. It would have been one thing for Rarity to learn beauty isn't everything and just wait for her mane to come back, but, instead of continuing to sit there and feel sorry for herself, she got creative and used her resources to help fix the problem. That's a great message to send to kids. There is a time in everyone's life when they just want to sit there and feel sorry for themselves, but that doesn't fix the problem and instead of wasting our time feeling sorry for ourselves, we should use that time to work towards a solution to fix the problem. This episode portrayed that message quite nicely in a way that the audience could understand, yet it didn't feel like spoon feeding and it felt like a natural progression in the story.

It's also a nice change to see with Rarity considering most of the time we see her crying and feeling sorry for herself and it's up to one of the main six to help her and figure out a solution. Sure the main six helped her get back her courage her, but, in the end, it was Rarity who came up with the idea for her new look. It was also incredibly heartwarming her friends went above and beyond to get her into that magazine. Rarity wasn't worried about that anymore and she would have been fine if they hadn't, but they knew she really wanted to be in it so they did what they could to get her in it. It just shows what great friends the main six have become.

So, while I wouldn't say this was the best episode of season 7, it was still an incredibly enjoyable and had some great development for Rarity. 

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

So... i was really confused what she did to get her mane look nicely again... but then i realized she prolly colored it and straightened it.

Yes, this was a great episode to me, because we got to see Zecora and Rarity's mane style, or, well, what she made out of her ruined mane plus the clothes, looked really great, i think everyone can agree on that.

So yeah, i also love the moral again. It doesn't become that clear and you can't completely connect it to practicle RL purposes, but i think it's clear that this episode underlines that the quality you're most known for doesn't dictate who you are and/or how great you are.

Ah, screw it, i am too lazy to write any more it's 2AM...

• 4 weeks later...

There was a scream effect that Flapjack had when something horrible looking was shown, it would fit well with this episode when Rarity revealed her mane mess.

Edited by Singe

On 12/25/2017 at 2:41 AM, Singe said:

There was a scream effect that Flapjack had when something horrible looking was shown, it would fit well with this episode when Rarity revealed her mane mess.

Here you go! :P I couldn't find a hyper realistic drawing of bald Rarity so I just did an awkward close-up but if I do, I'll remake it for real.

• 1 month later...

Rarity yelled at the background eyes in the Everfree Forest! That was awesome. I always find it funny when she stress eats ice cream. And punk Rarity was... 

punk_rarity__s7e19__by_sonofaskywalker-d

Awesome!

• 1 month later...

What a shock of Rarity's mane after using the shampoo stuff! :o Because Pinkie Pie did that by spreading silly strings everywhere in the Sugarcube Corner and it sticked onto Rarity's mane too. The shampoo doesn't work that way as I know what happened to her mane after doing that. She has to fix her own mane just in time before Photo Finish arrives and ready to shoot a photo of her. She fixed her own mane with a new mane style and I say that looks awesome! :D Pinkie Pie, apologize what you have done to her mane when you made a mess in the Sugarcube Corner.

In the epilogue part, her mane is back where it was supposed to be and there is a newspaper of herself in a new mane style after taking photos. So I'll rate this episode as a great episode.

• 4 months later...

This episode is decent. The first half is pretty good with a nice stream of good jokes, but the second half gets pretty boring. 

Also, magic not being able to do anything to hair is really stupid.

Score: 6/10

• 2 months later...

I enjoyed this episode and to be honest for a Rarity episode, it was pretty well done, the moral was well explained and the mixup between Rarity getting the wrong bottle from Zecora was hilarious, I also loved how Rarity managed to look styling even without much of a mane to show off. 9/10.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rock star Rarity! This was a heartwarming episode - the mane 6 genuinely worrying for Rarity and trying their best to help was beautiful to watch. The last scene where Rarity sees herself on the cover of the magazine was also moving. The fact that everyone in the mane 6 and Photo Finish prepared that surprise gift for their friend, was just marvelous. (I'm not sure about Pinkie Pie, but I think she did as well) Rarity also helped other ponies, despite going through so much herself. It's been a while since I was moved by an episode, and I'm glad this episode reminded me of one of my favourite aspects about mlp - stories about genuine friendship.:-D

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

This Episode was meh for me, i mean, it was fine but nothing that spectacular happened in the actual Plot. I actually liked how Rarity looked, when she messed up her hair, it looked kinda cool actually, it wasnt that bad and then the final look at the end was even better. But that was it. I liked the main style but the rest of the episode was a bit uneventful for me.

• 3 months later...

This episode is really meh. I like some of the jokes, but too many of them rely on "Rarity acting crazy" jokes which we've seen a lot by this point. Also Pinkie is annoying. Of course. 

Score: 5/10

• 1 month later...

Never expected to see rarity wearing something like this, but I am really glad that happened, rarity never looked cooler!:wacko:  Overall a very entertaining episode with some really funny moments and faces, zecora having a pretty big role here was really nice(I wish the writers used her more then they do, I really like her). I really cant think of something that bothered me in this episode other then the too quick resolution but its really only a nitpick. so, 9\10. I wish rarity will dress up like this again, even only for a short while.   

• 1 year later...

I also thought Punk Rarity was cool. Though it did slightly undermine their intended moral of "appearances aren't all that matters".

It does, however, give us another moral of equal value, that of making the most of a bad situation (courtesy of Rarity's mad fashion skills and her friends' emotional support).