Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music What is the oldest music you listen to?

ggg-2

I typically listen to 90's/80's/70's music. Oh and Opera. :blush: Oh and Ballad of Jed Clampett, all the old sitcom openings honestly, And Puttin' On The Ritz, and Big Rock Candy Mountain, i like a lot of old stuff. :D Oh and good old Irish rebel songs.

Edited by ggg-2
  • Brohoof 1

This kinda music.

Spoiler

I grew up listening to 40's swing, jazz and big band music, and I still listen to it today. Specifically Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, the Andrews Sisters, etc.

Spoiler

Edited by Meson Bolt
  • Brohoof 2

I often listen to electroswing that has many remixes of 1920s, 30s and 40s songs.

Spoiler

Some of those songs end up on my playlists unremixed

Spoiler

I also occasionally listen to folk songs, and the exact age of those is unknown, so it's impossible to determine what is the oldest song I listen to.

• Brohoof 2

When it comes to things I listen to regularly, there's Elvis Presley (60s), Art Garfunkel (70s), Disney songs (as early as 40s)... But I do listen to stuff like Beethoven (early 1800s) and Mozart (late 1700s) once in a while, just not a thing I like enough to listen to very often.

• Brohoof 3

Most of the songs I listen to were produced in the years between 1949 and 1990, but I enjoy some 20's, 30's, and 40's music as well.

I think the quality of mainstream music started to decline in the 1990's; IMO, most songs from the 2010's just plain suck (except Brony songs, of course! :P).

Edited by Kings&Hooves14
  • Brohoof 1

I believe the oldest piece I regularly listen to is the Epitaph of Seikilos from ancient Greece:

As for the earliest age of music that I listen to regularly as a whole, medieval. Especially the 14th century, when Guillaume de Machaut was around.

• Brohoof 3

My favorite music was released from the 60s to the early 21st century. There are also many songs I like from the 50s, but I rarely listen to ones from earlier than that.

Out of curiosity, I've listened to some earlier stuff too, including a couple of songs that were released in the late 19th century. However, I don't really find it something I'd go back to after hearing it once.

As for the earliest song I've heard more than once... I heard a Finnish song from 1905 on the radio a few years ago. It's absolutely terrible, but I've listened to it a few times for laughs. :please:

Spoiler

• Brohoof 5

The oldest in my collection would be Hush by Deep Purple from back in 1969. Sometimes I give Dick Dale and Hendrix a listen. 70s are more consistent with Sabbath, Priest, Lizzy & Halen. After that it's mostly speed, thrash, power and melodic death metal for the next 40 years. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm glad to see so many people still listen to 1950s music. I was starting to think it had been forgotten for good. Also there's a public radio station in my area that sometimes plays old blues music like Renegade above mentioned, so I listen to that when I can.

I used to listen to classical music but not so much lately.

• Brohoof 3

Oh, I am a connoisseur of classical music as well as Baroque. I listen to the likes of Vivaldi, Bach, Mozart and Beethoven. 

However, personally, my absolute favorite composers come from the romantic period of the 19th century with people like Franz Liszt, Tchaikovsky, Brahms, Offenbach and Wagner. 

But the one whom I place on a pedestal above all others is Johann Strauss II 

Spoiler

Spoiler

• Brohoof 2

I listen to a lot of music from the ‘30s. I love Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald operetta, Bing Crosby (in both his styles; early and late stuff) and Dick Powell to name a few. I love Big Band/Swing from the ‘40s (Sing, Sing, Sing is so hot!) and Margaret Whiting is one of my favorite female vocalists. I don’t have as much from the ‘20s and the teens but I love it. My favorite male vocalist is Jack Jones. He’s still singing and even has a new album coming soon, but his best stuff was in the early-mid ‘60s under the Kapp label. 

• Brohoof 4