Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health Are you afraid of getting the coronavirus?

Muffinnz

I am more worried for my dad because if he gets it, he most likely won't survive. COVID19 mainly targets the lungs and he has COPD. While I haven't heard about any major cases in my area, this thing looks like it could spread like a wildfire. I am trying not to let my anxiety get the better of me which already isn't easy, but there's a lot of thoughts rushing through my mind lately.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I worry not about myself, but about becoming a transmitter of the disease and infect so many more people and endanger vulnerable ones. I worry about my parents and granddads, I worry about how many will die as it's basically unstoppable for the next year or so. :(

Just to put the effects so far into perspective: 

MERS, another coronavirus discovered in in 2012, has a fatality rate of >30%. By 2017 there have been about 600 deaths.

SARS-COV-2 has literally killed over 5 times as many in just a couple months. 

Highly infectious diseases are very dangerous for this very reason. Their effects reach a devastating scale. 

Edited by Guest

Absolutely not. The media is completely overhyping the COVID19 virus. The most susceptible people are those who have underlying conditions and are older. You're more likely to contract this year's flu than the COVID19 virus. Wash your hands and make sure to go to the doctor if you don't feel well.

On 3/3/2020 at 3:37 AM, Twilight Luna said:

I’m not afraid of getting it but I work in retail. So, I’m using hand sanitizer several times during my shift.

Same here. I'm washing my hands and using sanitiser regularly during an average day at work, just because people are gross and I have to handle money that's been in their gross pockets all day. It's a good habit to be in.

We got one case of antibacterial hand gel in last week and one slightly hysterical woman bought the whole case.

:worry:

37 minutes ago, WinterMane said:

Same here. I'm washing my hands and using sanitiser regularly during an average day at work, just because people are gross and I have to handle money that's been in their gross pockets all day. It's a good habit to be in.

We got one case of antibacterial hand gel in last week and one slightly hysterical woman bought the whole case.

:worry:

Yeah, I keep of it in my car. I heard that stores were selling out of the stuff and medical masks as well.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

Not really. People survived catching EBOLA when that passed through the US a couple years ago.

Just keep washing your hands and don’t touch your face.

People survived catching ebola because not many had it (there were 11 cases in total in the USA and not many outside of Africa; of those 11 cases, the total recorded deaths were 2). Also, ebola (R0 = 2) was not as contagious as COVID19 (R0 = 3 - 6) is currently thought to be, only spread via touch and was contained to West Africa. COVID19 does spread by touch, but the primary method of the virus's transmission is through the air via aerosolised droplets coughed/sneezed out of the infected's lungs, and is now reaching pandemic levels not seen previously seen before the swine flu pandemic back in 2009 (which was a much milder virus, causing fewer deaths and hospitalisations than COVID19 is likely cause, if there is a full pandemic). Also WHO is now reporting that the current lethality of COVID19 has been updated to 3.4%.

To be honest, no. Coronavirus isn't even a serious illness or disease. The media has hyped it up to be way more catastrophic than the actually virus itself is. 

20 minutes ago, Lucky Bolt said:

To be honest, no. Coronavirus isn't even a serious illness or disease. The media has hyped it up to be way more catastrophic than the actually virus itself is. 

It has a noticably worse mortality rate than the 'flu, but isn't really a threat to a healthy young adult.  Of course, if you aren't a healthy young adult.....

2 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

It has a noticably worse mortality rate than the 'flu, but isn't really a threat to a healthy young adult.

While that is true the CDC says that over 60,000 deaths from the flu are reported in the US each year. That's over 5,000 a month and granted the flu has had more cases in the US per month, that's still similar to the rate per month of deaths in China from Corona and as of March 1st only 3% of people that contracted Corona since November have died. And of the 9 fatal cases in the US, I believe it was 8 of those are from one nursing home in Washington and all had preexisting conditions and/or were over the age of 50.

And Biden saying that there are no such thing as Corona virus testing kits is plain ignorant and he is showing his true colors there. I have used at least 2 dozen Coronavirus testing kits in my lifetime and administered about 5 Coronavirus vaccines. So saying there are no testing kits or a vaccine is a boldfaced lie.

Welp.....first two case are confirmed at my state now..seriously these people just come back from traveling especially from a country that have a coronavirus out break and two weeks later decided to admitted to the hospital for a check up. Inconsiderate of these two. People should learn to be cautious while traveling or better yet don't come back at all. They could at least check themselves when coming back at least. :dry: I mean, what do you think that by coming back here you're safe from being effective??

sign...while trying not to panic or overreact but I'm slightly worried now since I have two parents who are not at their best health condition.

Me:

tenor.gif

But now that I think about it, now I have to deal with more panicked idiotic people at my workplaces.

giphy.gif

On 3/2/2020 at 6:32 PM, TBD said:

(*cough even my mom but I'll thank her later if some apocalypse happens)

maybe I should now.

Updates: Great now two of my work cut hours due to the coronavirus. So I only get to work 2 days now, one day for each job..:worry:

• 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Lucky Bolt said:

No, because...I can't get Coronavirus...if I've already had it. :sealed: Take that how you will.

Yeah I'm guessing you might have had it when you was really sick that one time.

Nope not really, I'm young with a strong immune system plus unless you get tested Everytime you get the sniffles a large portion of folks prolly already had it without ever knowing it and passed it off as a commin cold.

• Brohoof 2

very much so because of the outbreak at work, not for my own health being at risk but my parents.

My dads a huge risk factor and my mom a little - both are heart patients but my dad's lungs also work poorly.

• Brohoof 2

As someone with nasty health anxiety yes I am terrified of getting it. Especially since a few family members who I live with would be considered elderly or on the cusp of it.  I do worry if I ever did get it there is a sure chance I could pass it on to them. Not to mention both of my parents have health issues relating to their heart and lungs. And knowing the statistics they probably would not survive.

• Brohoof 1

59 minutes ago, Blivy said:

Yeah I'm guessing you might have had it when you was really sick that one time.

Yeaaah....more signs keep pointing to that's what I had. I was super sick with probably the worst cold in my life and I had every common symptom of Coronavirus. I didn't go to the doctor but maybe I should have, that way they may have tested me. I guarantee you i would have tested positive for covid 19

Edited by Lucky Bolt

3 minutes ago, Lucky Bolt said:

Yeaaah....more signs keep pointing to that's what I had. I was super sick with probably the worst cold in my life and I had every common symptom of Coronavirus. I didn't go to the doctor but maybe I should have, that way they may have tested me. I guarantee you i would have tested positive for covid 19

Possible. But then again last year I was sicker that holy hell and pale white couldn't stay warm and I could hardly breath for like a month before all this stuff came out so who knows. 

• Brohoof 2