Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

In what way do you break brony stereotypes?

BMO

Hmm.. there are a lot of things about me that unintentionally breaks the brony stereotype.. Yet some factors towards :huh:

Towards Brony Non-stereotype: I am heterosexual, I don't have a massive collection of ponies (yet.. :lol:), I don't clop, and I most certainly not a fat bearded guy who lives in his mother's basement playing with pony dolls and writing erotic fanfics.. not 1 house I've seen in Australia even has a basement anyway xD

Towards Brony stereotype: I am completely obsessed with the show and love every part of it, Most non-MLP related things in life remind me of it (It can get annoying -_-) anything apple related reminds me of AJ, rainbows? RD.. a six sided star? Twi.. I can't even look at the moon without being reminded of best prin- i mean.. Luna :P

Unknown if towards or against brony stereotype: I brought a $4 blind pack and Bitta Luck was in it, When i saw her I had the sudden urge to make a drawing of her, which actually turned out rather good ;)

But yeah.. parts towards, parts against :P

Edited by AURAequine

30 years old

I'm 13.

Fat

While I could lose a few pounds, I wouldn't say I'm fat.

Gay

I'm straight.

Creepy

I'm not creepy.

Pedophile

I don't think I've ever had a crush on anyone before, much less someone under my age.

Bestial

I have also never felt attracted to an animal before.

Clopper

I don't clop.

Neckbeard

I have very little facial hair.

Lives in Parents' Basement

My parents don't even have a basement.

Doesn't Have a Job

I'm 13. How could I have a job?

Socially Awkward

Yes, but not because of the show. I was introverted before becoming a brony.

Autistic

I'm not autistic.

Overzealous

I rarely bring up the show without someone else mentioning it first.

"Ponifies" Everything

You got me there. While I don't ponify anything myself, I do like seeing crossover fan art.

Invades Forums

This is the only forum that I am active in, unless Reddit counts as a forum.

Draws R34 Material

I'm still practicing drawing ponies normally, and I definitely don't have any interest in drawing anything NSFW.

Obsessively Ships

I like shipping as much as the next guy, but I don't obsess over it.

Writes Tons of Horrible Fanfictions

I don't write any fanfiction at all.

Is a Furry

...Is this really a brony stereotype? I don't see how bronies and furries are related. In any case, I'm not a furry.

Constantly Uses Pony Memes

Most, if not all of the memes I use are not pony related.

Doesn't Enjoy Any Other Cartoon TV Shows

I consider myself a fan of all animation, both anime and cartoons.

Proclaims "Love and Tolerance", Yet Is a Jerk To Everyone

I don't do either of those things.

Owns a Metric Ton of Pony Merch

I literallly own one vinyl figure of Celestia. That's it.

While I have no problem at all with other people having it, I have a very, very strong dislike of having facial hair myself. I certainly don't have a neckbeard; I struggle to even accept a 5 o'clock shadow. I like having my face clean-shaven as much as possible, so I think that counts as at least one stereotype broken. Oh, and while I like some slightly-less-than-conventional hats, I would never wear a fedora outside of a full 1950s ensemble  :lol:

For starters I don't go around announcing my love for the show, I don't have much merch aside from a shirt and a couple of the toys. I'm still a closet brony, I'm pretty skinny and I'm still pretty young

For starters I don't go around announcing my love for the show, I don't have much merch aside from a shirt and a couple of the toys. I'm still a closet brony, I'm pretty skinny and I'm still pretty young

I think the difference between being older and a brony and younger is, for me at least, even with my shyness issues, is just...you get to the age where you don't give two shi*3%5s about what anyone else thinks about your interests. It won't affect your life one way or another if you collect talking horse toys compared to whatever they collect.

Edited by PiratePony
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I pretty much all of them

I'm the opposite of fat as I could probably gain a few pounds, but I like my weight

I'm not a pedophile

I don't spam pony memes or spam forum threads with ponies

I don't clop or draw R34 art

I identify as straight, not gay

I do enough in school getting A B grades

I don't force ponies into everything, only when it's mentioned

I own no pony merc aside from one Fluttershy shirt that I only wear at home and out in public I cover it up with a jacket or something

I am kinda an outcast at school, not even because being a brony but because of other reasons.

I'm mentally well, no autism, aspergers, or any other mental problem

And I don't listen to nothing but MLP remixes or wubs, in fact I'm a huge metalhead, if I'm listening to music it's 80% of the time gonna be either 70's progressive rock (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath) or 80's metal (Metallica, Megadeth) only that other 20% am I listening to something MLP related wether it a pure or remixed or fan song.

Edited by Treeclimbyou

• 2 weeks later...

The biggy: I'm female

Anyways..

- Not gay

- Not a pedophile

- I'm barely 15

- I don't clop

- Besides a small plushie I got, I don't have any merchandise

- Not fat

- I live with my parents, but that's because I'm 15.

- I have a good amount of friends

- I can be a little awkward at times, but that has nothing to do with MLP. It's just how I am.

- I enjoy sports

- I enjoy other shows aside from MLP.

- MLP is not my life.

- I don't annoy people about MLP and I don't talk about it all the time. Actually, I don't talk about it to anyone outside of the internet. I don't even annoy people about it on the internet either.

- Not a furry

- Ponified versions of most things irritate me.

I can over analyze and obsess over the show at times, but that's pretty much it. I'm just a person who enjoys a show.

I break the brony stereotypes in many ways actually.

• I'm not gay
  • I'm not a pedophile
  • I'm not obsessed with MLP. In fact, I don't I only talk about it on the internet
  • I only got a few merch
  • I don't constantly listen to MLP remixes. In fact, I only do about 30-35% of the time I listen to music. Also, I listen to country music a lot.
  • I love sports
  • I'm not a furry
  • I don't even say "Love and Tolerate"

I'm going to make an updated version of my post, since I didn't address that many brony stereotypes in my original post.

30 Years Old

I'm 16.

Fat

I'd call my weight average, not overweight, but not skinny either.

Gay

I'm either bi or I'm unsure about my sexual orientation, so I kinda lean towards the stereotype.

Furry

This one I don't break since I am a furry, but a furry is just someone who likes anthropomorphic animals.

Pedophile

Not a pedophile. Also, this is IMO the most ridiculous one. Saying that watching MLP makes you a pedophile is like saying that playing video games will make you kill people.

Clopping

I don't clop, nor do I care about it.

Obsesses Over MLP

I haven't even talked about it when people who weren't bronies were talking about it.

30 years old

Fat

People get mad at me because I weigh so much less than them xD. That and i'm unrealistically athletic. 

Gay

I like girls lmao

Creepy

People say im funny 

Pedophile

While my sister's younger friends think I'm hot, I've never thought once about having sex with them. 

Bestial

Don't even know what that means [ :

Clopper

bruh

Neckbeard

I have a good amount of facial hair, but it's lightly trimmed to have the after shave effect. 

Lives in Parents' Basement

I'm in college. 

Doesn't Have a Job

I work two jobs over the summer

Socially Awkward

Yes I am. But girl's come to me so it doesn't matter

Autistic

far from it

Overzealous

barely even watch the show anymore. i just enjoy the community. 

"Ponifies" Everything

More like sonic-ify everything

Invades Forums

On smashboards mkboards these forums and reddit. 

Draws R34 Material

Can't even draw a straight line on a piece of paper [ :

Obsessively Ships

Writes Tons of Horrible Fanfictions

Only thing I would write about is how tired I am. 

Is a Furry

nah but their fandom is interesting. 

Constantly Uses Pony Memes

no

Doesn't Enjoy Any Other Cartoon TV Shows

I love every cartoon on cartoonnetwork before 2010 (2010 was Young Justice <3 )

Proclaims "Love and Tolerance", Yet Is a Jerk To Everyone

I am an asshole but Love and Tolerance I could care less about. 

Owns a Metric Ton of Pony Merch

I own a slick pair of Jordan's 

• Brohoof 1

I am an average looking 21 year old that also is a scream vocalist as well as a guitarist and I play almost 9 instruments

i dont really hear many bronies that are well rounded musician

I also have a different attitude than the typical brony stereotype about the show and about how to vocalize that to friends and publicly

Well, I would like to think I shatter the stereotypes.

For one, I don't even consider myself a "Brony" simply because such a title has become connected with said stereotypes.

I am a calm, collected person (unless you catch me playing Team Fortress 2).

I hold down two jobs currently.

I went to college at sixteen years old (I am currently eighteen).

I support my family because my father, who loves "the bottle" more than us, refuses.

I'd like to think I'm not at all a Brony in the stereotypical sense.

I'm 19, don't wear a fedora, could lose some weight but i'm not morbidly obese either, i like women, i'm not a pedophile, don't have a neckbeard, i consider myself a furry and do like anthros but i'm not into r34 material. I also like a lot of manly things and have an overall "average guy" behavior. And before you say anything about my current avatar, i just picked it up because the art is well done, i'm a Portal fan and it looks cool.

Edited by Dino-Mario

• 3 weeks later...

You would all probably do a double take if you met me in real life and found out that I like MLP  :o. Here are some ways how I break the stereotype: 

• I'm 22 years old and Asian - Breaks stereotype that I'm Caucasian and in my 30's.
  • I work a full time job in a University Hospital - Breaks stereotype that I have no job.
  • I'm very physically active (swimming, running, basketball, weight-lifting) and am normal weight - Breaks stereotype that i'm fat.
  • I don't own a fedora and keep a clean-shaven face.
  • I have no mental problems whatsoever and am a very outgoing individual.

I love seeing peoples shocked expressions when they find out I watch the show! Having peoples perceptions blown out of the water is just a joy to watch  :lol:

• Brohoof 1

Stereotypes that I break

-I don't like being called a brony.

-I don't collect MLP Merchandise.

-I'm not a pedophile.

-I don't live in my mother's basement.

-I don't eat Cheetos.

-I'm not an adult.

-I don't wear pony shirts.

-I don't try to convert people.

-I don't talk about the show with non-bronies.

-I'm not overweight.

Stereotypes that fit me

-I am a clopper.

-I have a neckbeard. (Although,I don't like it in the slightest.)

-I own a fedora.

-I am sort of gay.

-I have mental issues.

Well depends on the stereotype. I guess physically it would be that I'm not overweight (yet at least), clean shaven, and don't wear a hat. (Though personally don't see why fedoras get a bad rap, Indie has one!)

In terms of femininity, well I certainly think if you saw me in my day to day life one would think of me as relatively passive if that means feminine, but then again I also am really into my Kung Fu training. Though I suppose that might seem pretty niche and thus "nerdy."

More that I think about it, I think I actually fit the bill pretty damn close. Don't show me around parties.  :lol: That being said, AT a party, someone was talking shit about bronies, I cleared my throat and gave him the raised eyebrow. He seemed shocked that I was one so I suppose I break the stereotype somehow.

Lastly, being gay was another one and I break that by default. Even if we never, let's say "crossed the threshold" my first and thus far only girlfriend even reassured me that she had a very distinct "gaydar" and she could tell I was one of the straightest guys she knows. (Her words, not mine.)

1. I had already more than one relationship (in real life and online). 

I do not clopp.

I am not a pedohile.

I do not own a fedora.

I do not talk about ponies without a break.

I am under 30 years old.

I am not a furry.

I do not call myself a brony. 

Edited by Fluidty

• 1 year later...

1. I don't wear pony merch everywhere I go.

2. I own very little pony merch.

3. I'm a cisgender heterosexual. 

4. I'm not about that clop life.

5. I don't have a neckbeard.

6. I don't plan on living with my parents for the rest of my life.

7. I'm a 19 year old college student, not a creepy 30-something year old. 

8. I'm not a pedophile.

9. I'm not fat. I'm a bit overweight, but not fat.

10. I don't try and shove ponies down everyone's throat.