Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

At what point did certain pony/ponies win you over?

Bucky McGillyCuddy

I tried to stay neutral between all the characters, but what really sold Applejack as my favorite was in the episode "The Best Night Ever". When Rarity and Prince Blueblood when to her apple cart to buy some food but Blueblood refused to pay and Applejack said not too worry and gave Rarity the fritters for free even though it meant she would have lost money on sales. Making money for Sweet Apple Acres was why Applejack wanted to go to the gala but she gave that up to help a friend in need. To me it really showed just how generous and caring Applejack is :)So how did your favorite win you over? Was it through song, a funny joke, a touching moment or something entirely different? I'd love to know down below. Applejack.jpg

You and me both.

Applejack was named best pony in the third episode of the series. She was the only pony who didn't want the tickets for herself. She wanted a new plow for Macintosh, a new hip for Granny, and a new barn for everyone. Nothing about her specifically.

Everyone else wanted stuff for them, them, them.

Applejack was already at the top, but what molded her name in concrete was when she was the first to revoke her request for the ticket. She realized the trouble she caused Twilight, and made up for it. I'm not convinced the others would have done so as well if AJ had not done so first.

Also, during "Look before you sleep", she was the first one to apoligize.

What a great God dang pony.

Edited by AppleJack_Wack
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think there was any particular moment that made me say "Wow, Applejack is best pony!" She just sort of eased her way into that spot as I was marathon-ing season 1 for the first time. However, one moment, or episode rather, that stood out to me, was Dragonshy. Although not Applejack centric, it was an ensemble cast episode in which she really stood out from the others. AJ not only put her life on the line saving Twilight's flank from an avalanche, but she also took it upon herself to help a petrified Fluttershy around the mountain another way when everyone else just wanted to rush through and get to the dragon as fast as possible, and she never once complained, as she had been nothing but patient with Fluttershy. Applejack really proved herself a fearless leader and team player who always selflessly puts the interest of others first. Her strength of character was displayed tremendously, and I love characters who are tough as nails on the outside, but caring and compassionate on the inside. Not to mention that AJ had so many little token "cool" moments throughout, such as the A-Team reference scene, as well as that grin on her face when she kick-fired a couple of apples at a boulder. :icwudt:

Honorable mention to The Ticket Master in which she was the first to apologize to Twilight and give up her ticket, as well as The Best Night Ever in which she generously gave two of her apple fritters away to Rarity for free, even though she had failed to make more than one sale and desperately needed money to repair her Granny's hip. It takes a very big person to do those kinds of things, and friends like that are one in a million. Just more reminders why Applejack is such a role model worthy character. ^^

• Brohoof 1

I feel like I have to point out the moments for all the Mane 6; please bear with me.

Fluttershy: The squeak.  I've been in those situations more times than I can count, and when I saw her first meeting Twilight, and she tried twice to say her name, that was bad enough... then, the squeak.  I fell for her in that very moment.

Applejack: Hearing her talk.  I'm actually from the South (Georgia), and I've heard lots of folks talk that way - and the kindness she shows is also a Southern trademark.  Plus, the "countryisms" add the perfect finishing touch.

Pinkie Pie: The "sproingy" sound she makes when she hops.  "Too Many Pinkie Pies" really made me notice that sound, and it's ADORABLE!  Plus, I dig crazy; Pinkie has crazy in spades.

Rainbow Dash: TANK.  I actually didn't like her much when I first started watching the show, due to her ego.  But, after watching the whole bit about the race to be her pet, and a tortoise came out the winner... well, it warmed me up considerably to her.  Plus, the whole Daring-Do thing made her about 20% cooler in my opinion.

Rarity: Actually, what affected me more than anything else on the show about her was... *chuckle* ooBrony, believe it or not.  His absolute passion for her infected me, and I thought she was absolutely divine after I watched her make dresses for all her friends... free of charge, no less.  Generosity, indeed!

Twilight Sparkle: At first, she was just the hub for meeting the other ponies.  Then, there was the whole freak out she had over not having anything letter-worthy for Celestia; I laughed my fool head off at that.  Little by little, I've warmed up to her - even though I think making her an Alicorn was still a questionable move for the show's writers to make.  Not that it isn't nifty... I just thought it happened a bit too soon in the series, that's all.

Thank you for your time.

• Brohoof 1

For me, it was the entirety of Wonderbolts Academy that made Rainbow Dash my favourite pony. Before then, I thought she was okay, but wasn't as fun as the rest of the ponies were. To see Dash being careful with her actions and dropping out of the Academy due to their questionable rules is very great to see and is one of her most mature moments in the series.

She did some things that I find admirable before Wonderbolts Academy, however. I liked how we find that her confidence doesn't always work out as seen in Sonic Rainboom, as well as her being open-minded to new things as seen in Read It And Weep.

(not sure who is my favorite between Derpy and Rainbow Dash, so I'll do both)

Derpy: In The Last Roundup, that whole scene was amazing. Derpy was really orginal and I loved her voice.

Rainbow Dash: The sonic rainboom, she was one of the rare characters who made me dream.

Edited by Blobulle

-Twi: I liked her in the first episode because she immediately foiled my expectations for FiM having a dumb little girls only plot. Her awkward personality and irritability in earlier seasons was endearing, specially in Lesson Zero  :P . Her twilicorn issue was the most heartwarming moment in the show, but since that, she kinda lacked the focus and personality that made her endearing.... Except for her trying to adapt being human in the first EG  :lol:

-AJ: Her country accent, her cute green eyes, her moments for being a sweet mare with Flutters in Dragonshy, the whole Applebuck Season, her childish inaptability with high society, "Applejewel", and she's quite a hot mare  :bedeyes:

-Dashie: Her raspy and boyish voice, and her childish and obnoxious personality makes her look cute sometimes, like "I got the ticket, I got the ticket", this face  :wub: , her nervous breakdown at the sonic rainboom, and her squeal at the Gala

-Rares: How she made us pity the diamond dogs kidnapers instead of her, her green mane by Trixie rant, her failure at the dresses show, her drama at Lesson Zero (specially when she made it clear she's aware of it instead of denying it  :P ), and her willingness to use her own hooves to kick butt when called for it  :proud:

-Pinks: Her first encounter with Twi, Party of One, her whole Swarm of the Century scenes, her hooping around, her chasing Dashie, the Pony Pokey

-Flutters: I admit Flutters didn't won me over at first, but after reading a cute fic where she adopts a foal (there seems to be a lot of them though  :huh: ) Ive started to appreciate her way more, to the point of becoming my best pony  :yay: . But I was won over by her with singing "Spittie Pie" Evil Enchantress song with Flutterguy's voice with that adorable annoyed face, facing that dragon in Dragonshy, "YOU'RE GOING TO LOVE ME"  :angry: , and Hurricane Fluttershy  :yay:

• Brohoof 1

Rainbow Dash: I always liked her.

Fluttershy: Dragonshy when she stood up for her friends.

Rarity: It took me a while to like Rarity and understand that she isn't a stereotypical fashionista/diva/whatever. I think I finally started liking her when I rewatched Suited For Success.

Applejack: Apple Family Reunion. I'm honestly not sure why.

Pinkie Pie: I sadly have to admit I found Pinkie annoying from the start, but that was when I was young and ignorant. :P

Anyway, I started liking her because of Party of One and MMMystery.

Twilight: I always was fine with her.

BEST PONY SCOOTALOO: I always liked Scootaloo, but she became best pony for me because of Sleepless in Ponyville.

Twilight- I really fell in love during "look before you sleep". The adorkableness was too much to resist.

Fluttershy- I almost immediately had a soft spot for this character, but she soared to my best pony list in "Dragonshy" with her cute but fierce spirit

Rainbow Dash- It took me a little longer to warm up to her (though I always admired her character design) until "May the best pet win!" when we finally got to see her affectionate side just a little bit

Applejack- I have a harder time pinning down when I started to really like her, but I will say that "Pinkie Apple Pie" is one of my favorite episodes with one of my favorite MLP songs

Rarity- It took me a while to warm up to her, but I gained a whole lot of respect for her in "Rarity Takes Manehatten"

Pinkie Pie- I have almost always found pinkie pie to be better as a funny side character than as the focus of an episode (notable exception: Party of One) but that changed when I saw "Too many Pinkie Pies". Something about her determination to be with her friends helped me appreciate her more as a main character.

I never disliked Rarity but her great appearances in season 4 mad her one of my favorite characters in the show. 

The episode that best showcases this would have to Rarity takes Manehatten which is also one of my favorite episodes.

Apple Bloom became my favourite pony after I watched Bloom and Gloom. Her entirity in that episode spoke to me and made it hard for me to have Sweetie Belle remain as my favourite of the CMC and  Twilight as my overall pony. 

I never exactly disliked any of the ponies except for Rarity, at first. Fluttershy won me over just by being so damn adorable, and I soon realised I can relate to Pinkie Pie a lot. I finally began to respect Twilight more in general as the series went on, and I loved Applejack's honesty right from the start. Rainbow Dash was just really cool... But before I became a big fan of the show,I'm thought I'd despise Rarity. But the I realised that she obviously wasn't selfish at all, and whilst she likes to look her very best, opposite to me, I still grew to love her character. That's why I can never list the Mane 6 in order of my favourite to my least favourite. I love them all equally :D

I really didn't like Pinkie Pie much until around the end of season 4. She just got a bit more... Tolerable for me? And she can actually get a laugh or two out of me where before it was hit and miss. I can't pinpoint an exact episode, so I've probably just got used to her over time. 

• 4 months later...

Pinkie Pie: Because of smile hd..i wanted to see how the show was thinking pinkie was the main character but hey i love her antics and she is still awesome

Maud: her deadpaness

Octavia: her classicalness

Minuette: her being pinkie's friend and also she reminds me of a less hyper pinkie pie

Rarity: her accent and love of fashion

The rest grew on me overtime because they are friends and they are likable characters

Edited by Yanks1987

I used to love Celestia. But then as the seasons and episodes progressed, I started to find out (when I first started watching mlp) that Luna had a dark-side, which made me immediately like Luna better not that she has another form but she's trusting and brave in a way.

And Luna doesn't have that type of super clamp voice that Tia has ;-;

Edited by TwiWoo

I liked Twilight since the first episodes. She reminded me a lot of myself when I went to high school. I had friends before high school but not too many. And when I went to high school suddenly everyone kept talking to me while I was working and trying to make friends all the time!

Now I'm in college and I wouldn't trade those friendships for anything. So I know how Twilight feels. Plus, she's nerdy and loves books. So we've got that in common.

Octavia is just such a devilishly classy pony, especially the way many fanfics tend to treat her character. She's easily my favorite pony.

But Pinkie Pie...

Pinkie Pie, for the longest time, I just hated. I couldn't stand her. I wanted her gone because I truly felt that the show would be better of without her. Her kind of humor was the kind that tended to fall flat really easily and get old just as fast. She always felt to me as the one-note joke. She had one purpose, comic relief. That's it. She had nothing else to her character besides being funny which she wasn't always good at.

Then the Baby Cakes episode aired. I didn't really want to watch it because I knew going in that it was a Pinkie Pie episode, but I turned on the TV anyway. That was the episode that finally made me like Pinkie Pie. Finally we got to truly see the mare behind the party mask. When Pinkie started crying during that episode, I finally felt something for her. She was a pony too, with hopes and dreams, and ambitions. The episode showed Pinkie Pie hurt and sad not because of what somepony else did to her, but because of what she didn't, or couldn't, do.

That spoke a lot to me. That was when Pinkie Pie became more than a one-dimensional character to me. That episode is still one of my favorites.

I'm still waiting for the Fluttershy equivalent of that episode. Fluttershy is fun to watch but not really all that interesting. She hasn't demonstrated the character growth that others of the main six (and even those who aren't the main six) have. Sure she's had an episode where she "deals" with her fear and anxiety issues, but those successes never show in any other episode. It's as if they never happened.

Plus does she even have any ambitions what-so-ever? I mean, Twilight wanted to become a powerful mage and now that she's an alicorn, she wants to be the best Princess she can be. Rainbow Dash wants to join the wonderbolts, Applejack and Rarity want to expand their businesses, Pinkie Pie wants to spread as much joy and cheer as she can and minor in becoming an excellent chef.

Fluttershy wants to waste away in her cottage taking care of just a small, token amount of animals. We can't she be given an ambition like starting up wildlife preserves or zoos for endangered species? Something to give her character a desire to try to achieve.

Okay, I'm done ranting now. I promise.

• Brohoof 1

Twilight won me over because of her reaction to Pinkie Pie beginning to sing. "Tell me she's not..." That moment was when I truly decided I liked MLP, too.

Sunset Shimmer won me over in RR by being developed into a real character. Seeing her reactions to everyone else shunning her really made me like her.

Can only recall a moment with Pinkie Pie...  In Feeling Pinkie Keen she's so tolerant and understanding of both her own feelings and Twilight's.  Max good-natured, always smiling, willing to go along with Twi's insistency in science over Pinkie senses..  And she was never annoying about it...like boring... Pinkie Pie was funny with every syllable she spoke, while being an absolute doll.  It really made an impression

On an unrelated fandom forum someone posted a clip of Pinkie building a house and burying the hypothetical key and it made me smile. Pinkie was my favorite in the beginning and got me in to the show. Later RD and Rarity took her place but I have to give her credit for winning me over.

The Gala song was what really sealed the obsession for me. I LOVE that song. I played it on youtube on repeat multiple times. Such quality for a little kids show. I used to like the G1 songs as a kid but with the exception of a small few most of them had pretty bad voice acting and mediocre musical scores. The only other cartoon that musically rivals MLP in my opinion is Phineas and Ferb.

Edited by Aurora Storm