Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things You Dislike About the MLP Fandom

Xievie

Hmm. Well, before, I used to be really rather bothered and disheartened by the MLP fandom, finding it to be ridiculous, silly, and immature all for a show that I am only really casually vested in. Now? I'm taking some of my own advice; play it cool, don't give a crap about anything that isn't important. And the state of the MLP fandom really isn't that important to me. Yet there is one thing, one thing I see that bothers me ever so slightly, and that people don't seem to realize.

It's not the fandom itself that's special or even matters in any way; it's the friends you make within it. Ponies won't be around forever and this fandom will die down at some point, I know that for sure. But people are unable to see past it at times, they're always talking about "bronies this," "bronies that." But we're all just people. And there's so much more outside of a like of MLP to us. The fandom may be a piece of shit in some parts, just like every other fandom. But it can be a thing of great beauty, a place to make wonderful friends. Not because of My Little Pony. My Little Pony is only what brings us together, only a beginning. The end result can be so much more than that. It's the people that matter, not the show, in a community. If you can see past that, then a lot of the negativity dies down. 

Then again, I can say this for any fandom, really. I don't take part in other fandoms all that much though, so take this as you will.

• Brohoof 3

Don't get me wrong I love the show but I like the fandom slightly more. Both brought out my creativity.

The thing I dislike about the fandom is how we still pay attention to the big figures of it. No offense to them but aren't we about having everyones opinion heard or something like that? From my vision I see only the big shots get attention. 

I try to like the fandom, I try to be optimistic about the potential positive feeling that many bronies feel, but alas I can not, there is an arrogant elitism that makes being a brony difficult, for I have seen some childish quarrels among fans of a particular episode or favourite character, for instance some bronies hate Rarity or Rainbow Dash because they do not rigidly abide by their element, or an episode they could not enjoy, then they rail and troll fans that did like the character or episode, the back and forth is embarrassing and intolerant. I also don't like the fans who can not accept Twilight Sparkle for an alicorn princess and especially alicorns, in addition could not like Equestria Girls for some immature reason, and pass on that hate to Hasbro, who brought us the ponies and the merchandise that critical fans indulge in, or on the writers that work hard to bring good episodes to us. I can not stand overcritical bronies, that dissect the story too much, and forget to find something positive, or even to just sit back and watch for entertainment, and finally I dislike the love and tolerance message, when so many bronies do not follow that ethos, as a result we see trolling and vitriolic bombast in the quotes. I have met some terrific fans, and have be trolled once, this fandom is so complex, at times I have second opinions about joining, nevertheless I still want to make this fandom work, for the fans who need friendship or advice, I want to be there for those fans, because bronies can be negative, ravenous and unrelenting, and for the fans that have experienced the resentment from other bronies, I would love to be there in your defence, as long as you are there to defend me, with the sanctity of the fans who need assurance.   

Edited by Emperor Peter
  • Brohoof 2

I'm going to catch hell for this, but the thing I'm growing to hate is the elitists that put down any other fans they think are "giving us a bad image" while being arrogant and egotistical about how "normal" they are and treating any level of enthusiasm about the show or fandom as being a fanbrat.  

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 3

I personally dislike people that ship incest, such as twilight/shining armor, rarity/sweetie belle, apple family/apple family, etc.

And when people write fanfics about it it becomes that much worse.

Oh God this, I'm a pretty accepting person and my attitude to much "colorful" fandom stuff is generally "you're weird, but I love ya anyway, go have fun" but incest shipping(and to a greater extent, shipping an adult with a kid, or even worse: both at once) creeps me the hell out and makes me want to clean house. 

Hmm. Well, before, I used to be really rather bothered and disheartened by the MLP fandom, finding it to be ridiculous, silly, and immature all for a show that I am only really casually vested in. Now? I'm taking some of my own advice; play it cool, don't give a crap about anything that isn't important. And the state of the MLP fandom really isn't that important to me. Yet there is one thing, one thing I see that bothers me ever so slightly, and that people don't seem to realize.

It's not the fandom itself that's special or even matters in any way; it's the friends you make within it. Ponies won't be around forever and this fandom will die down at some point, I know that for sure. But people are unable to see past it at times, they're always talking about "bronies this," "bronies that." But we're all just people. And there's so much more outside of a like of MLP to us. The fandom may be a piece of shit in some parts, just like every other fandom. But it can be a thing of great beauty, a place to make wonderful friends. Not because of My Little Pony. My Little Pony is only what brings us together, only a beginning. The end result can be so much more than that. It's the people that matter, not the show, in a community. If you can see past that, then a lot of the negativity dies down. 

Then again, I can say this for any fandom, really. I don't take part in other fandoms all that much though, so take this as you will.

That's something I've noticed(and am thankful for). With many of the friends I've made in this fandom, ponies were what brought us together and are one of our common bonds, but the relationship evolved past that to where were just friends in general that happen to both be bronies. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm against clop. That being said, it is perhaps strange for me to say that I find grimdark material to be interesting and create such material. Also, I have contact with cloppers who are friendly.

I'm irritated by bronies who try to force the show unto others (unfortunately I used to be one of them).

Shipping characters who are in the same family, of significant age difference (adult to child) and shipping an OC with a canon character are all... no.

That's all I can think of for now.

Edited by 115Predator

Sometimes the fights that break out between us fellow bronies arguing about the most stupid things ever! I don't care if you clop, I don't care if you like Rarity wheres I like Rainbow Dash, as long no one tries to push anything off on me then we are cool!

Oi. Lately, I've been finding more and more negatives to the fandom. It's a real bummer, y'know?

Here's a list of things I want to see die.

1: Lyra/human obsession

2: Doctor (W)Hooves.

3: People who think they're favorite pony is better than any other pony in every single way ever.

4: People that blame Celestia for Luna's mistakes.

5: Pinkamena fans/obsession with Cupcakes

6: Grimdark/gore ponies

7: Anti-cloppers. 

There's more, but I have a bad memory.

I pretty much agree with you on most points, only thing I don't necessarily, 100 percent agree with you on is the anti grim dark thing!

I guess what bothers me sometimes is when some people go way too far out of the way to make everyone know they are a brony. I think it's some people who treat the show as if it is the only thing they have in the world, that contributes to why some people find this fandom odd. I'm also don't like how some people can't let any character interaction occur without saying this shows those two are shipped. If people like to ship characters that's their business, but I prefer to stay out of it.

• Brohoof 2

I guess what bothers me sometimes is when some people go way too far out of the way to make everyone know they are a brony. I think it's some people who treat the show as if it is the only thing they have in the world, that contributes to why some people find this fandom odd. I'm also don't like how some people can't let any character interaction occur without saying this shows those two are shipped. If people like to ship characters that's their business, but I prefer to stay out of it.

I kinda feel the same way, I like shipping but I'm laid back about it(as in, I'll roll with about any ship as long as it's not creepy and it's done well, though I have my favorites) and people that treat shipping as a deathly serious can get on my nerves. 

1. Bronies who dislike the idea of love & tolerance / plur or do not get the idea of ethical community interractions with other bronies.

2. Bronies who intolerant of different genders, sexual orientations, cloppers, or aspects of the fannon.

3. People who spend to much time analyzing the show in RW physics or logic.
4. People who post the most bizarre "what if" questions on this board.

5. People who only focus on the top artists / musicians of the fannon and ignore everything else.

6. People at the top who ignore everyone below them.

7. People who go gaga over the silly memes and rack up countless views for some of the dumber content.

8. People who whine endlessly about being mistreated by non bronies when its generally an indicator of a bigger social deficiency.

9. People who aren't thankful for what they got. ;)

• Brohoof 5

People who say "love and tolerance." The phrase was never meant to be taken literally, people. Get this through your head.

People who bitch about cloppers/R34 and how they "ruin the image" of the fandom. I really don't understand this. You're either really simple minded or really sensitive if you hate someone for masturbating to a cartoon. Get a backbone or get a clue.

People who get really defensive when you say anything bad about the show. You know who you are.

People who treat the show and fandom like a religion. I don't think I need to explain myself further. 

The word "brony." I'm sorry, but I really really really hate this word. 

Oversensitive people who go on a huge rant when anyone pokes the slightest amount of fun at them. Hey buddy, you're going around wearing a flamboyant pony T-shirt, telling everyone that you're a brony, and treating a cartoon like a religion. I'd be surprised if you WEREN'T made fun of. 

Edited by ~Vallo~
  • Brohoof 4

i haven't been as much of a brony as I have been earlier this year, and personally I'm happy to have gotten out of that stage because I'm getting back to my regular old self of rap music, socializing, chilling with friends, bumpin music in my car, girls, etc.

But the thing I HATE the most is when I say I just like the show and I'm not as BIG of a fan as I was before, only to be criticized by another brony saying I should go back to loving MLP. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy watching the show, really. I'm ready to download this weeks episode off youtube as soon as it comes available but not every single second of my life has to be about ponies you know? :/

I really don't like Derpy. For the derpy fans out there, I apologize but I just don't like Derpy. 

I was never fond of R34 and what it does to cartoons, but hey, its the internet. It was bound to happen sometime but in my eyes I could really just care less. 

Bronies who go into WAY too much detail about a KIDS SHOW. I mean like come on bro, its a show you enjoy to watch and when they go into soooo much detail about it then it just ruins the show to me which is why I'm not subscribed to any of them on youtube. I don't hate them, I just don't like the overdose of criticism. 

Last but certainly NOT least is the people that live and breathe ponies. You have GOT to have something else to do than just ponies, right? Like I mentioned earlier not everything you do has to be centered just around ponies. I really hate being told what to do given the fact that I am most certainly old enough to make my own decisions at 18. So I REALLY don't need someone over the internet to tell me what I can and can't watch or thinking I'm leaving the fandom when all I said is that I'm not as much obsessive over ponies as I was earlier in the year. It honestly felt I was being brainwashed o_0 but I guess I've snapped out of it and only gotten to watch ponies either late at night or in my spare time when no-one is online on xbox. 

• Brohoof 3

People who say "love and tolerance." The phrase was never meant to be taken literally, people. Get this through your head.

I know that phrase was somewhat adopted by trolls to shield themslves from being called out for their behavior but in the end what's wrong with a little peace, love, and understanding? Shouldn't mlp fans try to aim a little higher then the rest?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WWp67DsTk4

• Brohoof 1

I've just sat for the past seven minutes reading through this thread and thinking of the things that I dislike about the fandom. But before I typed anything up I decided to think through what I was about to say, to make sure that I didn't offend anyone. But as I did this I started to think more deeply about what I disliked about the fandom. The more I thought the more I came to realise that there was no logical or rational reason behind any of my dislikes. And the only things that I could rationalise are not just found in this fandom, incorrect grammar and spellings and idiocy. These are found all over the internet, unfortunately.

So there are no specific things about the fandom that I hate or dislike, on general things that can be found almost everywhere on the internet.

Well, here is my list:

1. Bronies that spam about MLP everywhere and act like they are so "special". No, You aren't, You are normal people, not some kind of demigods. You are just 20% cooler (ehh, so overused, but I had to say that, I'm sorry :P)

2. People who overanalyze show (it's still show for little kids, so don't treat it like it's movie about 2nd World War...)

3. People who are judgemental about show and instantly bash some ideas until they are even released.

4. People who mix MLP with sex/gore/both and don't understand that not everyone likes it (I really don't care about such things but if You will force me to see/read it expect honest opinion that for sure will not be positive). 

5. People who are rude for no reason and will bash anyone including other bronies. 

I think that's all. I'm glad this kind of people is in minority though so that I can love this fandom :3

• Brohoof 7

The ones who shove MLP in other people's face REALLY gets on my nerves. Politely nudging them to attempt to watch the show is one thing, but going like "OMG U NEED TO WATCH THIS SHOW ITS AMAZING FRIENDSHIPS IZ MAGICZ!!!!"

No.

Stahp.

• Brohoof 1

I've just sat for the past seven minutes reading through this thread and thinking of the things that I dislike about the fandom. But before I typed anything up I decided to think through what I was about to say, to make sure that I didn't offend anyone. But as I did this I started to think more deeply about what I disliked about the fandom. The more I thought the more I came to realise that there was no logical or rational reason behind any of my dislikes. And the only things that I could rationalise are not just found in this fandom, incorrect grammar and spellings and idiocy. These are found all over the internet, unfortunately.

So there are no specific things about the fandom that I hate or dislike, on general things that can be found almost everywhere on the internet.

Interesting perspective. And mature.

I will say, though, that sometimes things irritate us for no "logical" reason. I think that it is good to recognize this, but that doesn't mean that what you are feeling has no credibility, or worse, that it doesn't exist.

Your irritations are very real despite them not having a logical explanation. I think there is a time and place to express those irritations, so long as they are done respectfully (as you seemed to intend on).

• Brohoof 1

1. Bronies who dislike the idea of love & tolerance / plur or do not get the idea of ethical community interractions with other bronies.

2. Bronies who intolerant of different genders, sexual orientations, cloppers, or aspects of the fannon.

3. People who spend to much time analyzing the show in RW physics or logic.

4. People who post the most bizarre "what if" questions on this board.

5. People who only focus on the top artists / musicians of the fannon and ignore everything else.

6. People at the top who ignore everyone below them.

7. People who go gaga over the silly memes and rack up countless views for some of the dumber content.

8. People who whine endlessly about being mistreated by non bronies when its generally an indicator of a bigger social deficiency.

9. People who aren't thankful for what they got. ;)

This, this so much. I think you just summed up the portion of the fandom I have a bone to pick with perfectly. 

I'd also like to add, from my earlier post: people who put others down for liking portions of the fandom they don't like.  

• Brohoof 1

The fucking hate mail I get for being such a Rarity fan. It happens every other week almost. I don't even read PMs from people I don't know all too well anymore.

It's usually just "Rarity sucks" and "Rarity is worst pony" stuff, but one dude sent me snuff pics and Hitler Rarity.

I barely even use the PM system because of it -_-

It's crazy, and it's usually brought on because of my Rarity fanboying. It's happened with a couple fans who share a similar best pony, too.

You'd think I was an axe murderer with the PMs some people have sent me in the past. It's only happened 6 or 7 times, with 2 or 3 people, bit it's so annoying and hurtful. Just thought I'd clear that up

Edited by ~Sadistic ghostfk39~

I don't like overused pony memes..

I don't mind cloppers, but I don't like it when they comment on every single thing saying "I could clop to this"

Bronies who will force everyone and everything to watch the show

Bronies who bash other bronies for liking a certain pony. So what if they like King Sombra or Rarity? Get over it..

These are the ones that I can think of on the top of my head. Don't get me wrong, I love this fandom, but there are just a few things that get on my nerves.

• Brohoof 3

cloppers... i dont like them ( not that i hate THEM ) , i dont like running into " clop " when im looking for pictures of the main 6 , back ground characters,etc... also, not that i hate this, but its just something ive noticed... why does everypony ( apparently someone above hates the word " everypony " lol ) on other sites seem obsessed with Luna ?

• Brohoof 1

Well most of the time I love this fandom, it's pretty cool.

But there are some things in it that I don't like or really understand why.

I don't understand why some people keep hating on other bronies for their preference on who's the best pony, like Pinkie is my LEAST favorite out of the Mane 6, but I don't dislike people who think Pinkie is the best. It is pretty pointless to hate for such reason isn't it?

People who "force" others to watch the show, with this I mean if you're saying 'MLP is a really good show, you should watch it.' that's okay and fine. But if you're all crazy about spreading it everywhere then it's just annoying.

Then people who are just mean and disrespectful to other bronies or people for stupid or really pointless reasons, just wanting to hate I guess. That's only a really small percentage of bronies I'd say, luckily. :P

Most people are nice though.

I'm not sure if I forgot something but anyway there's some things that annoy me at times. :P

• People who make others watch the show, and shove it in everyone's faces. 

People who talk about how badly they want to fornicate with certain ponies. (Yes, I've seen this before on this forum.)

People who hate on certain ponies. Like, all they do is complain about how much the said pony sucks.

• Brohoof 1