Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things You Dislike About the MLP Fandom

Xievie

Anti-cloppers are annoying as hell, but what I dislike the most is the disturbingly large number of Libertarians and Objectivists this fandom attracts. Seriously, what's up with that?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Anti-cloppers are annoying as hell, but what I dislike the most is the disturbingly large number of Libertarians and Objectivists this fandom attracts. Seriously, what's up with that?

Possibly because people who are willing to like a show designed for little girls despite mainstream society's prejudice indicates a certain degree of free-thinking and non-conformism? It's not that the fandom attract those kinds of people, but that those kinds of people are predisposed to become part of the fandom from the start.

Edited by Full Spectrum
  • Brohoof 1

You know what really grinds my gears?!

• Cloppers who make note of the fact they're cloppers.
  • Shippers, regardless of if it's easily apparent.
  • An insistence on usernames containing some form of "Rainbow Dash" or "Fluttershy".
  • How 8 out of 10 OC's are pegasi, because wings.
  • Brewing up a shitstorm if someone so much as sneezes while drawing the storyboard.
  • Shoving being a brony in the face of others like a badge of honor.
  • Screaming "Love & Tolerate" as a response to anything remotely negative.
  • The Twialicorn Incident
  • The EqG Incident
  • Actual debate about "best pony", because it's just an opinion unless it's yours. Then it is fact.
  • The usage of "hater" as an insult to someone who doesn't really like MLP.
  • The need to ponify absolutely anything and everything.
  • Derpy.
  • Luna.
  • DERPY.
  • Doctor Hooves.
  • DERPY.
  • Most Brony in Equestria fics.

And that people is what grinds my gears.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

You know what really grinds my gears?!

• Cloppers who make note of the fact they're cloppers.
  • Shippers, regardless of if it's easily apparent.
  • An insistence on usernames containing some form of "Rainbow Dash" or "Fluttershy".
  • How 8 out of 10 OC's are pegasi, because wings.
  • Brewing up a shitstorm if someone so much as sneezes while drawing the storyboard.
  • Shoving being a brony in the face of others like a badge of honor.
  • Screaming "Love & Tolerate" as a response to anything remotely negative.
  • The Twialicorn Incident
  • The EqG Incident
  • Actual debate about "best pony", because it's just an opinion unless it's yours. Then it is fact.
  • The usage of "hater" as an insult to someone who doesn't really like MLP.
  • The need to ponify absolutely anything and everything.
  • Derpy.
  • Luna.
  • DERPY.
  • Doctor Hooves.
  • DERPY.
  • Most Brony in Equestria fics.

And that people is what grinds my gears.

God damn, I couldn't have said better myself. You sir, deserve much more than simple medals. I 100% agree with the Derpy and Dr. Whooves part.

Edited by ✶Nova✶

Possibly because people who are willing to like a show design for little girls despite mainstream society's prejudice indicates a certain degree of free-thinking and non-conformism? It's not that the fandom attract those kinds of people, but that those kinds of people are predisposed to become part of the fandom from the start.

I meant that the show's lessons aren't exactly in line with the profit-driven, private property-obsessed libertarian capitalists.

Look at the lessons from The Crystal Empire, Over a barrel, Applebuck Season, Just for Sidekicks, Winter Wrap Up, Wonderbolts Academy and Hurricane Fluttershy.

I meant that the show's lessons aren't exactly in line with the profit-driven, private property-obsessed libertarian capitalists.

Look at the lessons from The Crystal Empire, Over a barrel, Applebuck Season, Just for Sidekicks, Winter Wrap Up, Wonderbolts Academy and Hurricane Fluttershy.

I tend to be an atheist, and the lesson in "Feeling Pinkie Keen" is that it is best to believe in something on faith rather than find a scientific explanation for it, otherwise the universe will keep punishing you until you just accept it, but that doesn't mean the lesson from that episode prevents me from liking the series itself. One can enjoy something even if may have messages that aren't compatible with one's beliefs.

I don't like cloppers and Rule 34 nonsense.  I HATE grimdark. In my opinion it has no place in MLP and is worse than the Rule 34 junk. The people who dress as ponies kind of freak me out. I'm not talking about the fans that where horns and/or wings. I'm talking about those that where those full pony outfits.  It's kind of scary for me.

Though my love of the show runs deep, I can't talk with a brony who is incapable of discussing anything else but the show.

Wow, seems like the majority of dislikes are related to cloppers o-o... i feel uneasy.

Anyway, the things i dislike about the fandom is people who are just ignorant and hypocritical, Celestia i hate that so much...
Everything else seems pretty good, don't have probs with derpy, or whooves, or cloppers or whatever etc etc.

K HF! X3

I feel that out of all of the fandoms I've been a part of, I feel that this community has a lot more people who go crazy at everything! 

I'm not just talking about Twilicorn or the Derpy incident last year, but you'll find quite a few people who get upset over some very minor things and it seems it's a lot more frequent in this fandom, compared to Whoovians (something I'm very into) or even the Warhammer 40k guys (who are incredibly critical of Games Workshop). 

The majority are great people who just get on with it, but I'm a little tired of seeing another person complaining the fandom is dying or that clopping is going to be the end of the community. It's gonna be fine! Don't worry!

• Brohoof 1

I don't really dislike too much. But if I had to say so:

1. People instantly thinking I'm a clopper because I watch ponies

2. Derpy nonsense

3. Trixie's dumbass

4. Some bronies take the fandom too seriously. (Not buying merch and wearing shirts just.... ya know treating it like its life.)

5. Celestia (I can't stand her. She annoys me :s)

Actually thats it x)

• Brohoof 1

I tend to be an atheist, and the lesson in "Feeling Pinkie Keen" is that it is best to believe in something on faith rather than find a scientific explanation for it, otherwise the universe will keep punishing you until you just accept it, but that doesn't mean the lesson from that episode prevents me from liking the series itself. One can enjoy something even if may have messages that aren't compatible with one's beliefs.

I don't consider that to be anti-science or noncompatible with atheist secular thought, it s afterall a trueism admitted even by scientists that certain things in this world are still awaiting scientific knowledge and method to catch up with it or to develop to a level where it can be understood.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

I don't like it when bronies talk about MLP in places that have nothing to do with ponies. I remember when Mane6 left a link to a futurama "good news everyone" video and most of the comments at the time were bronies mentioning that fighting is magic is alive. Of course, this can apply to any fandom.

I also don't like how some complain about things such as Alicorn Twilight and Equestria Girls being made to sell toys despite the fact that the whole show was created to sell toys. Of course, they are allowed to dislike these things but the toys are the reason the show exists in the first place.

Edited by shocker1991

Well, I don't like the assumption that differing opinions over Twilicorn and EqG damaged the fandom in some way. There's nothing wrong with people being against either of those things for logical reasons, and many of them did have logical reasons. It wasn't a flame war. It was a bunch of conflicting views about what we wanted for the show.

Edited by TailsIsNotAlone
  • Brohoof 2

I dislike how quick so many fans has dismissed the most recent change, to grow angry at it, to allow doubt to bind their hearts, to hate on the show they once loved.

To speak badly of the staff, most of which I might add that were hand picked by Lauren Faust herself. The fans that now refuse to even give the next season a chance or even give alicorn Princess Twilight a chance... believing that friendship will not be magic anymore that Twilight will not be able to be with her friends that it will fall apart.

It does not take much to find fault and error with something, it's not hard to find something you don't like about a tv show you normally enjoy. It's perfectly alright not to like certain episodes, it's perfectly alright not to like certain changes... but at the same don't think all is lost, don't be so cynical about what has happened.

Hasbro may care more about money but the staff, the writers... they remember what Lauren Faust started they remember us. They won't allow the show the fall apart, give them a bit more credit than that.

Edited by EquestrianScholar
  • Brohoof 2

Oh there's quite a lot that I dislike.

1) The apparent need to "come out" as a brony. Nobody comes out as a Whovian, they just like Dr Who. MLP should be no different

2) The utter spineless nature of many bronies. The inability to take a stand against anything annoys me to no end. Also, the way many bronies complain about how they are socially awkward and that they are too shy to talk to people. So was I. Do you know what I did? I stopped being socially awkward. It's not that hard if you just give it a try and talk to some real people.

3) The whining about their inconsequential problems. Sure some people have shit lives and could do with support but there are many bronies (usually the younger ones) that just complain about all the woe in their precious little lives. This forum has a life advice section for crying out loud! No other forum I've been on has felt the need to have one and most of the time its full of 14 year old attention whores pretending they're going to off themselves because they got dumped. It's pretty insulting to those who actually have issues.

There's also a lot I like about the fandom which is why I stick around.

• Brohoof 3

Let me see...

To be honest, I've never really liked roleplaying. I have nothing against the people that do it, but I don't see any fun in creaing my own "OC" and pretending to mess around with other OCs.

Hate it whenever fans start to get whipped up into a frenzy, like with the Derpy fiasco and Twilight becoming an alicorn. That really annoys me. It's one of the worst things about any fandom - whenever something minor happens, it gets blown up out of scale and freaks everyone out. There's probably a name for it, like the "fanboy effect" or something. Happens too often.

Lastly, most people can't pull off the "fedora" look. Stop trying. A lot of the people claiming to wear fedoras are actually wearing trilbies, anyway.

Edited by TheTEChguy27
  • Brohoof 2

I dislike the ones that try and make everyone they meet a brony, sure I try once and that's it! after that I tell them thanks for trying now you can make fun of it all you want! because you gave it a shot. Being a clopper I don't mind them..... don't see why so many here do....

I dislike the bronys that want to hate everyone that isn't a MLP fan its like come on now.. just because they don't like something you like doesn't give you the right to hate them so much...

I find bronies who shove it down other people's throats enfuriating. Not everyone has to like the show, and those who don't do not have something wrong with them. My Little Pony is nothing like a political machine that needs to steamroll across the world and assimilate everything in it's path. Aggressively trying to shove your view down someone else's throat goes against the whole credo of love and tolerate. Take pride in your fandom, but don't go against what you hold dear in a vain attempt to justify it to others. No one should have to justify their enjoyment of anything (provided that anything doesn't cause harm in any way).

There are also the people who take issue with things changing in the show, or those who dislike something done with the show or characters (Alicorn Twilight, Equestria Girls, etc.) without first understanding that Hasbro is out to make money off this show and the fans, and if they can they will make as many changes as they want in order to sell more toys. Don't take issue with the show for that stuff, Hasbro has final say in everything in the show. You can dislike the changes, but direct that dislike at the proper location (I kind of feel like the DMV for saying that, darn).

Edited by Exuro Spark

What I dislike is Bronies who lose there shit over cloppers,grimdark, pokehidden,. Ugh....

Also I dislike it when bronies fight over sides:

$ Twilicorn vs No Twilicorn

$ Derpy vs No Derpy

Cloppers vs Other Bronies (I'm in between)

$ EQG vs No EQG

$ FiW vs Mentally advanced $

$ = I choose that side but don't get bitchy with the other side either.

No. That's not it at all. The lesson was that sometimes, you just need to roll with it and not be obnoxious trying to figure it out. I, personally, was disgusted by all the hostility atheist bronies had with that episode, saying that it encouraged willful ignorance, when it doesn't.

The message was not "being scientific was bad" it was about tolerance, could've been conveyed a bit better, but still.

• Brohoof 2

The only thing I can think of that legitimately bothers me is any form of perversion in the fanbase.

Take a good look at all the ponies you can think of.

They're adorable, innocent, and far from human.

I just don't understand the sexual attraction some bronies have for something so cute and, well, to put it bluntly, not sexy in the slightest, nor are they supposed to be. The term 'sexual deviant' really comes to mind.

Granted, I'd still treat a clopper the same as I would anyone else, but I strongly disagree with that particular aspect of them.

• Brohoof 2

1. The large amounts of rabid fans

2. The large amounts of little kids

3. Gorefics and overly sexual material

4. People starting arguments about MLP for no reason at all

5. People who worship Lauren Faust

6. People that think they're special for being a Brony

7. Poorly written fanfics

8. CMC R34

9. People who blame cloppers for all their problems.

10. People who ponify everything

11. My Little Brony on Memebase, Reddit, Know Your Meme, EqD, and /mlp/ thinking they have control over all of MLP's domain.

12. Referring to myself as a Brony.

Edited by So gangsta
  • Brohoof 2

No. That's not it at all. The lesson was that sometimes, you just need to roll with it and not be obnoxious trying to figure it out. I, personally, was disgusted by all the hostility atheist bronies had with that episode, saying that it encouraged willful ignorance, when it doesn't.

The message was not "being scientific was bad" it was about tolerance, could've been conveyed a bit better, but still.

I was fine with that episode. It didn't offend me. It's a family show, they wouldn't push religious beliefs on kids (even though some kid's cartoons do, which I happen to hate). P.S. I don't like being called an atheist, because others look at it as a religion if you call it that, even though it's not. 

• Brohoof 1