Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ever lost a game save?

TheDashingRainbow

Long ago I was playing Pokemon Silver on the GBC, with the adapter plugged in so I wouldn't have to worry about the battery pack I was using. I'd been playing for hours upon hours without saving when I accidentally pulled the adapter out. The game was still running, fortunately, so I counted myself lucky and plugged the adapter back in...which restarted the game. I erased upwards of six hours of progress, and I don't think I've ever been quite so angry.

Pokemon Silver was good for this kind of thing, really, because my first save game got corrupted just before the Elite Four, so when this problem happened I was already on my second save. Much later I also accidentally deleted my godlike Mewtwo when I was messing around with an Xploder cartridge, and now, in the present, the internal battery has died and my completed game (legit except for Mew, which I traded from Blue and caught with the Mew glitch, and Celebi, which I caught using the Xploder) has been erased.

I once spent 30 hours on Skyrim save however long ago that was. Didn't even beat the entire game yet but I decided not to go back to it since I didn't feel like starting 30 hours of work over again.

I remember I lost my save in red dead revolver on PS2. I've beat that game in order to unlock things, so that I can play the side modes on multiplayer (locally with my brother) with full content.

When we were done playing together, I shutdown the console, but didn't notice, that it was autosaving at that moment... The save file corrupted... Oh that was a pain..

I remember back in the day, I always used to start games on the PS2 and never save, so I'd always start from the beginning every time I went to play them, I don't know why I would do that. Anyway, I used to get really upset because my siblings would always turn the console off if I left it unattended for more than 5 minutes. Sometimes I would sit there for like 4 hours at a time and lose all of my progress because I had to get up to do something.

• 3 months later...

I have on different occasions, but there is one that always stayed in my mind when thinking of this topic: Back when GTA San Andreas on the PS2 was new, I played it quite a bit. Never finished it, but I still got pretty far and did a lot of things in it. It was also when Demo Discs were still in their hayday and I got those quite often. I believe I had a PSM demo disc one time and after checking it out, I noticed that my San Andreas save file....was completely GONE! DUN DUN. I had no interest so I was pretty damn confused. Then I learned form other people that the demo disc in question had some kind of extremely weird bug that was wiping out save files of certain games in the memory card was inserted when the disc was played. I wasn't really angry or anything, mostly just confused. I still don't understand how something like that happens. :|

• 1 month later...

Back in the day, I played Pokémon Red for thousands of hours. I caught and experimented with multiple Missingnos, and since nothing happened immediately, I just kept them around. But of course, one day I turned on my gameboy to find my years-old save gone, knowing that there was no way I was gonna be able to recreate all of that.

• 3 months later...

Near the end of 2016, I lost all my game data on my 3DS XL. All the way to when I bought the original 3DS in March 2011. Been transfering all the save data every time I bought a new iteration of the 3DS family hardware. All the time, work and effort I put into the Streetpass Mii Plaza, Gone.

I lost my saves from ETS2 (Euro Truck Simulator 2) as a result of my PC having black screened on me out of nowhere. To make things worse, the files got corrupt, making file recoveries virtually impossible and forced to start everything over again. :(

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have but thankfully, it wasn’t a large or significant amount of progress. I was playing the game normally when it randomly shut off during a cutscene. I was worried that my game or game system was broken but when I reached the same cutscene a second time, the game stayed on just fine.

I lost my copy of Pokemon Ruby when I was a kid. To be fair, I was the one who put the cartridge in the washing machine unwittingly... I wasn't really a bright kid lol

I remember years ago playing Terraria on the Xbox 360, I was playing alone in a multiplayer world for over three hours, lost internet connection (because WiFi on the Xbox 360 was garbage), as well as all that work. I don't remember exactly what I was doing, but I remember being really annoyed by it, so I probably did something important during that time.

Recently had my Gamecube memory card corrupted and everything had to be wiped out. That memory card lasted since I had got it for about 10 years, so yeah, that was really heart breaking

1. A corrupted PS2 and GC memory card, one a piece. Absolutely heart breaking.

2. My original Pokemon Crystal and Silver games are lost to battery failure.

3. WWF No Mercy cartridge wiped by the infamous corruption bug.

• Brohoof 2

Oh yeah. There is a pretty high chance of destroying the save file when saving in the puzzle sections in Virtue's Last Reward for the Nintendo 3DS. I saved my game in one of them a lot, because, ironically, there is another bug that can freeze the game when entering another room. :laugh: Fortunately, they got rid of the bug in the Steam version of the game.